• Published 10th Nov 2014
  • 3,733 Views, 57 Comments

Mending Souls: What's in My Heart - atomicpuffin



Book Three of the 'Mending Series' where we see what's going on in the chaos family and what happens to them when an unknown danger comes calling.

  • ...
5
 57
 3,733

Chapter Two

Kibou peeked inside his parents room and was happy that they were both still sleeping. He snuck past and went into the kitchen. Today was his first day of school, he was starting second grade. He figured that since it was such a big day he deserved a special treat for breakfast.

He looked up at his prize, the cookie jar his mother kept on top of the fridge. Filled with very special cookies only his dad knew how to make. He grinned, it wasn't even hidden this time. His mother was losing her touch. With little Flitterbee zooming all over the place now that she was two, Mom had to constantly keep an eye on her.

Kibou floated up to the cookie jar and hummed softly to himself as he reached in. He paused and he moved his claw around the inside feeling nothing. He pulled out his claws and looked inside. It was empty!

"That was a valiant effort though kiddo."

Kibou squeaked and almost dropped the jar as he looked over at his dad. He was lounging in one of the kitchen chairs and was grinning at his son. Kibou looked between his father and the jar then he pouted and put the jar back.

"But daddy...todays my first day back to school and I'm seven now. Don't you think I should have a special treat?" Kibou pouted floating to his father and making his eyes go wide. Discord laughed and ruffled his son's mane.

"Sorry little hope...not this time. Mom's orders. No sweets in the morning and you know I can't argue with your mother."

"Why? Daddy you're always saying that no pony can boss you around when you talk about the princess?" Kibou tilted his head looking up at his father.

Discord laughed harder and picked up Kibou, he hugged him and then looked around before whispering into Kibou's ear.

"Between you and me little hope, the princess has nothing on your mother. Trust me...she's the one pony you don't want to mess with. Your mother is frightening when she's angry."

"I heard that...what are you two planning this time?" Fluttershy flew into the kitchen carrying Flitterbee, she raised her eyebrow at the two of them and both shouted at the same time.

"Nothing!"

She giggled and gave each of them a kiss on the cheek. She placed Flitterbee in her high chair and went to make Kibou's lunch. Kibou pulled out of his father's arms and flew over to his sister. The two were inseparable at times, his aunts compared them to two sides of a coin. Can't have one without the other.

When he got closer, Flitterbee laughed and reached for him saying,

"Kib! Kib!"

Kibou laughed and ruffled his little sister's mane.

"Morning Flit! What's that? Oh, you want a good morning kiss?" He grinned and his sister was smart enough to know what was coming and squealed. Kibou stuck out his tongue and slowly licked his sister's cheek.

"Ewwwww! Kib no! No!" Flitterbee laughed wiping her cheek. Discord watching this laughed again.

"Son, that's not a good morning kiss." He flashed next to Fluttershy and grabbed his wife.

"This is a good morning kiss." He kissed Fluttershy deeply, causing both his children to scream,

"Ewww!"

The group laughed and Fluttershy rolled her eyes. Typical morning in the Chaos family.

"Alright that's enough you two. Kibou eat your breakfast. Oh and I have a surprise for you."

Kibou's ears perked up and he smiled at his mom.

"A surprise! Oh what is it Mommy?" He shouted and his parents chuckled.

"Settle down little hope. She doesn't mean a present. She means that you're getting a new student this year. Someone who is very close to you." Discord said watching his son as understanding soon set in and a wide smile spread across his face.

"Storm Cloud!" Kibou shouted jumping out of his seat flying up to his parents.

"Is it true? Is she transferring from Cloudsdale?" Kibou grinned. He adored his best friend Storm Cloud, she was the daughter of Rainbow Dash and Soarin. Although all his aunts were now married, and some even had little babies of their own...

His Aunt Twilight and his Uncle Flash had a little foal who was now one. They had named him Dusks Light and his mom said the baby was very special since he was the only male alicorn. Which Kibou guessed meant he would have magic like his Aunt Twilight and the princesses. His Aunt Pinkie Pie was married to a funny stallion, his Uncle Cheese and they were waiting for their first foal.

His Aunt AppleJack and Uncle Spike had no children. Neither did his Aunt Rarity and Uncle Fancy, although he had overheard something about them trying. When he had asked later what that meant, his father had chocked on his chocolate milk and he never got an answer.

Storm Cloud was the only one close to his age and the two had grown up together. Making the two instant best friends for life, or as their Aunt Twilight said B.P.F.F...which translated to best pony friends forever.

Kibou hadn't seen her in awhile, since her parents had moved to Cloudsdale when she was five, for their work. Both were Wonderbolts and so Storm Cloud only came to visit a few times when her parents did. She was the perfect hybrid of her parents, she had her father's coat and eyes, but her mother's rainbow mane. She was also the fastest flyer he had ever seen, she even beat him in races even though she was a year younger than him.

"Yes Kibou. Rainbow and Soarin are moving back to Ponyville. Which means that Storm Cloud will start going to school here."

Kibou shouted with joy and began to bounce around the kitchen. One thing his parents quickly noticed about their son was that he always walked on all four legs. He never walked bipedal like his father usually did. He could, Discord had taught him how, he just preferred to walk like his mother.

"Yes! Yes! Yes!"

"Kibou please sit down and eat. Kibou...Kibou…" Fluttershy tried to get her son's attention, but he was too excited to notice. He continued to shout until his father caught him around his middle and set him back into his seat.

"Yes I know son, but you know the faster you finish eating the faster you get to see her." Discord said and Kibou settled down and began to eat his food at lightning speed. Of course once Flitter saw how her brother was eating, she began to copy him. Only she ended up wearing most of her food, which made Kibou laugh. Then Kibou grinned at Flitter and snapped his fingers making a bowl appear over his head.

"Kibou don't…" Fluttershy said, but too late the bowl tipped over and poured cereal all over him and Flitterbee squealed in laughter clapping her hooves. Discord laughed again and wrapped his arm around his wife, who was shaking her head in frustration.

"No doubt about it...these two are definitely mine." He gave her another soft kiss and she giggle before giving him an odd look.

"Some days that's not a good thing." She said, which only made Discord laugh harder.


"Where is she? I don't see her...do you think she's sick or hurt? Daddy where is she?" Kibou said as he sat on top of his father's head and looked around the school ground searching out his friend. Discord grinned and looked up at his son.

"Relax kiddo I'm sure she…"

"KIBOU!" Suddenly Kibou was tackled from behind and the two friends tumbled over each other. Storm Cloud came out on top and she laughed,

"Ha! Still number one pony! Which makes you the squirt!"

Kibou shifted and tackled her and the two continued to rough house, laughing the whole time.

"Well that explains why she shot off so fast." Rainbow laughed as she landed next to Discord. He smiled and gave her a quick hug, even though the two weren't all that close he had to admit he had missed her these past two years.

"Kibou was super excited when we told him. How did Storm react?" He asked.

Rainbow chuckled and looked at her daughter, who was flying in circles trying to shake the draconequus off her tail.

"I think Soarin might still have some internal ear damage from all the screaming."

Discord looked around and asked,

"Where is he anyways? He didn't come to see her off?"

Rainbow shook her head and sighed,

"Nah, I left the poor thing to finish our transfer paperwork. It took longer than we thought to get the approval to move so far away. Really it's no big deal, but you know how it is...well...no you don't, but anyways...Where's Flutters I was really hoping to see her?"

Discord glanced at his son who was sitting on Storm's back, a cowboy hat in his hand as the filly tried to buck him off.

Oh yeah...he's mine…

"She really wanted to come, but Flitter threw a fit when Kibou started to leave. Nothing we did or said would calm her down. So Fluttershy decided it was best if I brought Kibou here and she stayed at home with our daughter. If you want, you can go back with me and visit, she'd love that...might help calm Flitter down too."

Rainbow nodded and before she could say anything else Kibou came running over and hid behind his father's back.

"Save me Daddy!" Kibou laughed as Storm ran over and laughed. She pointed at Kibou and said,

"No fair! Using Uncle Discord as a shield is cheating!"

"Daddy says what's the fun in playing fair?" Kibou said as he stuck his tongue out at Storm. Both Rainbow and Discord burst out laughing and Rainbow ruffled her daughter's mane.

"He has a point kiddo...word of advice from some pony who knows. Never trust a draconequus to play by the rules."

"Hey!" Both Discord and Kibou shouted and then the group started laughing louder, getting many odd looks from other parents.

"Alright little hope, no more hiding. I'm afraid an angry mare is the one thing your daddy can't protect you from." Discord reached around and picked Kibou up by his scruff then set him on the ground.

Storm got a gleam in her eyes and whispered something into Kibou's ear. Kibou smiled and nodded.

"Uncle Discord can I ask you something?" Storm asked sweetly. Discord went down on all fours and smiled at the little filly.

"Yes sweetie?"

She grinned and shared a look with Kibou. They crouched and too late Discord realized what they were going to do.

"Tickle attack!" They shouted and tackled him. He laughed as the two mercilessly attacked him. Then he wrapped both in his tail and stood up.

"What do you think we should do with these two trouble makers Rainbow? Maybe we should have some kid kabob?" Discord said as he continued to hold the struggling, laughing kids in his tail.

Rainbow shook her head turning away, looking at everything she smiled.

"Yeah I missed this place."


"Alright class settle down. I'd like to welcome back every pony and to introduce you to our new student. This is Storm Cloud." Ms. Cherilee said as she put her hoof on Storm's shoulder.

"Why don't you go take the seat next to Kibou." Storm nodded and smiled at her friend as she sat down. She didn't notice the looks she was getting from a pair of twins in the back. Ms. Cherilee started talking to the class about something called a cutie mark. Kibou was only slightly interested as his father had told him draconequus' don't have cutie marks, when Kibou had asked why his father had only shrugged. Kibou looked over at his friend. Her's was a storm cloud with a checkered flag over it. He guessed, by what Ms. Cherilee had said, that meant her talent was racing? Made sense since she was even faster than her mom, who was known as the fastest pony in Equestria.

Storm had told him when they were four that she would be a Wonderbolt like her parents, but that she wanted to mostly be a part of the Wonderbolt Derby. He promised when she was that he wouldn't miss a single race.

Storm noticed him looking at her cutie mark and winked at him which made him laugh. The bell rang signalling recess and all the foals ran out. Storm and Kibou resumed their wrestling match. They were having a lot of fun until Storm heard some pony snickering behind them. She stopped and when Kibou noticed he looked over at the twins.

Silver and Gold were twin fillies from Manehattan who had moved to Ponyville a year ago, shortly after Storm had moved away. They looked exactly the same with their curled, white manes, white tails and green eyes. The only difference was Silver and Gold were their namesake colors. Kibou realized the three had never met so he wiggled out from under Storm and shook the dust off his fur. He couldn't use his magic as he had promised his daddy he wouldn't during school.

"Oh hi Silver, hi Gold! This is my friend Storm Cloud. Storm this is Silver Star and Gold Dust, they're twins and their parents are important business ponies. They moved here to open a new mall, right girls." Kibou smiled at the two fillies who only glared back at him.

Then Gold stuck up her nose and said,

"I thought we told you not to speak to us creature…"

Storm gasped and looked at Kibou, surprised that he continued to sit there with a smile on his face. Then she looked back at the fillies and glared at them.

"Really we thought it would be obvious by now how you don't belong here." Gold continued as she and he sister walked around the friends trying to get closer to Kibou. Storm kept blocking their path.

"Why are you even here? Something like you shouldn't exist." Silver snorted and Storm bared her teeth, she was about to charge at the pair when Kibou laughed. The filies only got angrier that Kibou was unaffected by their taunts. Gold whispered something in Silver's ear and the two got these nasty smiles on their faces.

"Yeah. You know our dad doesn't want us talking to you. He says you're evil just like your father." Silver sneered and this caused Kibou's laughter to die, his ears to flatten and his smile to fall. These two were always a little mean to him, but this was the first time they had mentioned his father.

"Daddy's not evil...he's really nice and good…" Kibou whispered then shook his head and smiled at the two again.

"Oh I get it, this is just a joke right girls? You are just doing this because Storm is here. Good one."

The two shared a look and smiled, they had finally found it. They walked towards Kibou, but Storm stepped in front of him, reading what the two meant to do.

"I think it's time you two left us alone. For that matter I want you to leave Kibou alone from now on or you'll deal with me." Storm said as she glared at the two fillies. They flinched, but then smirked at Storm.

"Why are you even hanging around this thing? Aren't you afraid he'll do something to you like his father did to all the ponies in the past. Didn't he even hurt your mother?" They asked, and their smiles widened when they saw the look on Kibou's face as he looked at his friend.

"Leave." Storm said through gritted teeth. The two fillies laughed and walked away. Storm snorted and turned to her friend only he wasn't behind her.

"Kibou? Kibou?" She looked all around then realized where he would be. She looked up and flew towards the nearest cloud. She landed next to him looking down as he continued to lay there.

"Hey don't listen to what they said. They don't know what they're talking about. Uncle Discord isn't a bad guy Kibou. Those two are just miserable ponies and enjoy making others feel the same." She said as she patted his back. He lifted his head and looked at her with his bright eyes, even though he was older than her Storm still felt like the 'big sister' around Kibou.

She was very protective of her friend, he had always been teased and she had felt it her duty to protect him. Even if he said he didn't need it, because nothing they said ever upset him. Until today that is...seems those two finally found the right chord to strike in little hope's heart.

"So...so my daddy didn't hurt Aunt Rainbow?" He asked and Storm flinched. She had been told some of the story about her Uncle Discord by her mother. Her mom however had told her not to say anything to Kibou as his parents were waiting for the right time to explain Uncle Discord's past. She didn't want to be around when he found out, considering the little her mother had told her.

Storm had asked her mom about her Uncle Discord when she had heard some other ponies at school talking about him. Her mother had been reluctant, but decided it was best Storm hear the truth from her family and not rumors...the same thing applied to Kibou. He deserved to hear it from his father and no pony else.

"Well, I don't really know Kibou...but...Those two are just trying something new because name calling isn't working. Although I wanted to pound them when they called you a creature. How could you stay so calm and happy?" She asked and Kibou smiled again and laughed.

"Silly Storm, of course I'm a creature...so are you. What are we if we're not some kind of creatures?"

Storm just stared at her friend then she grabbed her stomach and fell over laughing.

"Kibou you are something else! Ah how I missed you and you're unique way of thinking!"

The two friends continued to laugh then they heard Ms. Cherilee call for the foals to come back inside. The two grinned and crouched,

"One…" Kibou said.

"Two…" Storm wiggled her tail.

"THREE!" They shouted and zoomed off the cloud causing it to disappear from the force. The two zoomed past the twins causing their hair to frizz and the two screamed. Storm laughed and smiled at her friend as she pulled ahead. She landed on the steps first and flipped her mane triumphantly.

"Still the best." She said as Kibou landed behind her. He grinned and trotted in before her.

"Just wait til next time, I'll get you yet Storm!" He said over his shoulder and Storm smiled. Then she shivered at the whispers she heard behind her.

"Yeah I bet you will…"

"Hear that? Dad was right…"

"See told you he was really a monster…"

She glared at the ponies behind her and they jumped then looked away. She walked into the classroom praying Uncle Discord wouldn't wait too long to tell little hope the truth. The truth behind the hatred from his fellow classmates.

The truth about who he really is...the son of a past monster...the Lord of Chaos...