• Published 10th Nov 2014
  • 3,769 Views, 57 Comments

Mending Souls: What's in My Heart - atomicpuffin



Book Three of the 'Mending Series' where we see what's going on in the chaos family and what happens to them when an unknown danger comes calling.

  • ...
5
 57
 3,769

Chapter Ten

Kibou opened his eyes and looked around panting. He groaned, he had missed his home. He was in Ponyville this time, after missing twice, but now he was tired and he still wasn't at his castle. He turned his head to see how his father was doing. Discord was still unconscious, but at least he was breathing.

I have to get him to Aunt Twilight…

Kibou was about to teleport once more when he heard his name and a familiar cry. He turned to see his aunts and mother running towards him. His mother saw her husband laying across Kibou's back and she ran faster than the others.

"Oh my...Discord! Honey please...say something..." His mother sobbed as Kibou gently laid his father on the ground. She wrapped her arms around Discord's neck and buried her muzzle in his mane.

"Why are you all here?" He asked and his Aunt Applejack answered.

"We noticed the barrier fall and thought maybe Discord had returned…"

His Aunt Twilight cast a magical aura over Discord. She looked up at Kibou and frowned, he knew the news wouldn't be good.

"He's very weak...I don't know if...if there's anything...we can…" His Aunt Twilight stopped and met Fluttershy's eyes, and his mother started crying harder. She was whispering into his father's ear and although he couldn't hear what she was saying he could guess.

"He'll...he'll be okay...now that I got him away from her...dad would never give up...right?" He whispered, there wasn't much confidence in his voice and he lowered his head. No it couldn't be true...there was no way he could lose his father now...not after everything they had said to one another. He couldn't have their fight be the last thing on his father's mind.

He heard another group of ponies screaming and for a moment he thought it was at him. He frowned and looked towards the sound and gasped. As the light faded, there in the middle of town glaring at Kibou was Morgana…

Kibou growled and his aunts turned to see what had angered him. They screamed when Morgana stood to her full height. His Aunt Twilight was the first to recover, her horn began to glow with power. Kibou reached out and pulled her back by her tail, breaking her concentration.

"Kibou what-"

"You have to stay here...you can't fight her...stay here and help dad recover...I'll keep her busy." He growled as he met Morgana's eyes. He didn't notice his aunts back away from him, slightly out of fear. Even his mother was staring at him in awe. He moved away from the group to meet the monster head on. She hissed at him and the two began to circle one another.

Each waiting for the other to make a move. He snarled at Morgana and she bared her teeth, suddenly she lunged at him and in a flash disappeared. Only to reappear behind him and wrap him in her tail. He cried out, but sunk his teeth into her scaly flesh. As she cried out and released him, he flew into the sky and Morgana spread her wings to follow.

"No you don't...I won't underestimate you again..." She shouted and grabbed his tail, hurling him back. He turned to right himself and she grabbed his arms, pushing him faster towards the ground. Out of instinct he teleported just as Morgana crashed into the dirt. He reappeared a few feet away and noticed her slowly rising.

She turned to face him and grinned,

"I think it's time to end this brute battle...let's see just how strong you are little pest." She raised her hoof and it began to glow. Kibou's eyes widened and he turned to shout at his family.

"Move! Run! She has dad's mag-" He was hurled back by an energy blast and he heard his mother shout his name. When he was lifting back to his feet he heard his Aunt Rarity scream. He turned and saw her wrapped in Morgana's tail, she was laughing.

"I think I'm going to like it here. Anytime I use some magic there will be a new food source to replace it. Tell me pony...I never have asked in the past...does it hurt?"

His Aunt Rarity screamed in pain and the sound shook through Kibou. He growled and his mane began to glow brightly.

"GET AWAY FROM HER!" He shouted and the ground shook. He snapped his fingers and Morgana suddenly dropped Rarity. She grabbed her tail and stared in shock at the burn marking her tail. She turned just as Kibou slammed his body against her, using his magic to put more force behind it. She went flying and Kibou turned to see his aunt smiling at him,

"I'm okay little hope…" She whispered and he nodded quickly before turning to face the witch again. He stood between her and his family, determined to keep the monster away from them.

He growled in warning again and a soft rumble shook the ground. Morgana turned and snarled at him. She lifted her hoof again and several sharp, ice shards appeared behind her. She grinned at Kibou and turned some of the ice away from the group. Kibou stared in confusion and followed the path the shards would take. Several ponies were staring in shock and fear in the distance, among them he noticed the twins.

"What are you doing! Get away from here!" He shouted, but they didn't seem to hear him. They were frozen in fear and he growled in annoyance.

Morgana laughed and shouted at him,

"Let's see what you do...which is more important to you my treat, family or duty? Choose!" She shouted and shot the shards out causing all the ponies to scream.

Think!

He shouted and a wave of fire shot from his body, melting the ice and knocking Morgana down again. The ponies were now soaked, but the ice water seemed to snap them awake. They all started to run in fear, scattering around Ponyville. Kibou was about to move towards the creature laying on the floor when a groan stopped him.

Kibou turned his gaze back and gasped as his father was trying to regain his feet.


Discord was glaring at Morgana, his teeth bared.

"You...haven't...killed me yet...witch…" He hissed. Kibou shook his head at his father and frowned.

"Dad...stay down...you've lost too much magic...you can't…"

"Of course I can...I won't let this creature hurt...my family...without a fight." Discord grumbled as he started to fall forward. Twilight and Rainbow caught him and helped prop him back up.

"Don't be an idiot! You have to stop or you will kill yourself!" Rainbow growled in his ear, her face both annoyed and worried. He shook his head and tried to walk forward when Fluttershy jumped in his path glaring at him. She looked furious and it made him stop. She was crying, but at the same time he could see the fury raging in her eyes.

"Honey I have…"

"No you don't!" She shouted and stomped her hoof, taking everypony by surprise. She continued to glare at him.

"Fluttershy listen to me…"

"NO! You listen to me this time! I will NOT lose you to your own stupidity!"

He flinched at her tone and frowned, however she wasn't done. Her small frame shaking as the tears fell down her cheeks.

"You lied to me...you didn't plan on coming back...did you...DID YOU!?"

He couldn't answer, so he laid his ears back against his head and turned his gaze away. Fluttershy sobbed, then glared at him again saying over her shoulder, still angry.

"Kibou…"

"Y-yes mom?" Kibou asked nervously and she turned to stare at her son. The flames in her eyes actually made him step back. She turned her glare on Morgana who was finally regaining her stance, her body now covered with burns. Fluttershy growled and Discord, despite everything going on, felt his fur stand up at the sound.

"Teach her what happens when you mess with the chaos family…" Fluttershy whispered and Kibou grinned as he turned back to face the monster.

"You got it mom…"


Kibou lowered his head in warning and growled at the monster. He looked at her body and noticed something strange. She looked different, not just from the injuries, her mane was streaked with grey and the color in her body was fading. Kibou frowned and then realized, the more magic she used the weaker she became. He grinned, new plan in hand he rose into the sky and dove at her.

She growled and shot an energy blast at him, he easily dodged it twirling in the sky laughing.

Think of dad...how would he handle this?

"Is that all you have to offer? My baby sister is more of a challenge and she doesn't have any magic!" He laughed and Morgana stiffened in anger. She growled and her hooves began to glow, she raised them and a large piece of the earth was pulled up. She threw it at him and he lazily snapped his fingers. The rock turned into a large group of butterflies, Kibou covered a yawn and smirked at Morgana as he floated on his back.

"This is getting boring Morgana...it doesn't matter how much magic you absorb...if you can't control it." He straightened and was happy to see her panting.

Careful Kibou...she's still dangerous...

Morgana looked around frantically and then smirked. She waved a glowing hoof and two small ponies appeared in front of her. The twins! They screamed as she wrapped her tail around them. Kibou dove at her and she squeezed harder shouting,

"Move any closer and I crush them! Even you're magic isn't faster than the muscles in my tail!"

Kibou stopped his dive and growled again in frustration. He should have realized when desperate she would turn on the other ponies. She grinned when he stopped attacking, she looked down at the shivering ponies. She reached out and stroked Gold's mane making her scream in fear.

"Such silly things...love, compassion...it's nothing but a weakness...wouldn't you agree Discord?" She purred as she grinned over at the older draconequus, who only snarled in response. She laughed and swung her tail and the twins around with her, facing Kibou completely as he landed on the ground.

"I'm growing tired of this cat and mouse game you've decided to play...I know all those tricks. You're father tried the same thing...except he was better at it. I think it's his age." She chuckled and Kibou growled again, keeping his eyes on the twins. Desperately trying to find a way to free them. Morgana brought his attention back to her,

"Now...here's my deal I offer. I will leave and never return to Equestria under one condition…"

She looked between Discord and Kibou,

"The two of you give me all of your magic…"

Kibou growled and his fur stood up,

"You're even more insane than I thought if you think I would fall for that...what's to stop you from destroying everything once me and my father are gone?"

She smiled at him and gave a mock bow,

"I give you my word...I will not drain your life forces, just the magic within you...but if you don't think the deal's good enough…" The twins cried out as the tail holding them flexed again. Kibou shouted and Morgana stopped squeezing.

"Well?"

Kibou lowered his head and groaned, there was no choice. He raised his head and glared at her,

"Okay, I will give you my magic in exchange for Equestria's safety...but...you will leave my father alone...I'm not stupid either Morgana. I know that my father's chaos magic is what fuels his immortality...you take that away and he will die."

She smiled and slowly clapped her hooves in mock applause. She grinned and indicated for him to step closer.

"Very well, come closer then and we shall end this."

Kibou lowered his head and took only one step when Morgana screamed in pain again. Kibou's head shot up and he saw Discord on the witch's back, his jaws latched onto her shoulder. Morgana released the twins and focused all her attention on shaking the chimera off her.

Kibou flew over and scooped the twins into his arms, taking them away from the creature. He set them down by his aunts and shouted,

"How did he get over there so fast?"

"He must have summoned what was left of his magic! He just teleported before any of us could stop him...KIBOU!" His Aunt Twilight shouted pointing behind them. They all turned to see Morgana wrap her tail around Discord's waist and hurled him against a building. Discord didn't rise after, his body just lay crumpled on the ground.


Kibou was at his side instantly, the first thing he noticed was that his father's eyes were closed and he wasn't breathing. Kibou's heart stopped and he nudged his father's snout whispering,

"Dad...dad get up...you have to get up...please...please...dad-daddy…"

The tears fell from his eyes as he fell to the ground beside his father.

No it...it couldn't be true…

"Discord…" His mother was the next to reach them and she also fell to the ground next to her husband. Her face pressed against his, she was sobbing and whispering to him.

"Please...no...no...it can't be...Discord open your eyes...you have to open your eyes for me...let me know you're okay...get up...get up...Twilight why isn't he getting back up!" She turned and shouted at the alicorn who was also crying. Every mare was now there crying as they stared at the still form of their enemy turned friend. Kibou even saw the twins huddled together crying behind his aunts.

His Aunt Pinkie pushed through the others and fell across Discord's back.

"That's enough you big meanie! T-t-this i-isn't a f-f-funny joke a-any-more Dis-Dis…" She broke down and buried her muzzle against his fur. His other aunts moved in and curled their bodies around Discord, even Rainbow Dash, who was crying harder than any of them had ever seen. She whispered,

"You...s-s-stupid...i-idiot...I told you…"

Kibou leaned down and gently nuzzled his father's cheek...a soft laughter made his ear twitch.

"Aww, I don't know if I should break up this adorable moment...I'll let it continue for just a minute longer…"

The final thread holding him back snapped. Kibou slowly rose to his feet and turned to face the monster behind him. His chest was rising and falling rapidly and there was even smoke billowing out of his nostrils. His fur stood up and his mane began to glow brightly once more. His aunts looked up when they noticed the glow washing over them, Kibou had an aura encasing his entire body.

Morgana noticed this too and actually looked intimidated by the beast facing her. Kibou growled deep in his chest and the ground mimicked the sound. He stepped towards her and hissed,

"You...you…" He continued to advance on her and as he did the ground began to shake. Bits of the earth rising into the air around Morgana. She growled and tried to use her magic, but panicked when she realized something was preventing her from using it. She looked at the chimera advancing still. She smirked and instead tried to absorb the magic she felt in the air. The minute she tried to it burnt her, she cried out in pain. She looked up frightened, this had never happened before! How strong did a magic have to be, before even her body rejected it?

The aura around him was growing in intensity and his eyes were glowing white. He looked like a god and the sight made Morgana shrink back. She had never felt such power, it was too much even for her to absorb and she knew there was no way she could defend against it. For the first time in her life, she was truly afraid…

"You...I am going to make you pay for what you've done witch!" He growled at her and she cried out feeling her body tremble in pain. He wasn't casting spells, yet he was somehow inflicting pain. He only had to direct his attention on her and her body would begin to twist on the inside. She threw herself at his feet shaking.

"P-please...d-don't I'm...I'm…" She began to beg and to her ultimate shame there were tears running down her cheeks.

"You're what? Sorry? You think I want an apology? I WANT MY FATHER BACK!" He shouted and a louder rumble shook the earth. She cringed and curled her tail around herself. She knew she was going to die today...she closed her eyes and cried as the fear encased her.


Kibou watched the monster at his feet and sent his magic to absorb the chaos back out of her. She cried as the magic was ripped away from her, he took everything she had left of his father's stolen magic and it fueled his own.

Then he glared down at her and when she saw his glowing body towering over her she curled her tail further around herself and began to sob. She looked so pathetic and Kibou stopped the magic he had been about to send at her. He pulled it back and watched as she lay there weak and helpless. No longer trying to fight him back...she had admitted defeat.

He closed his eyes and when he opened them again they were once again his normal teal ones. As much as he wanted to hurt her, to make her pay for the suffering she had caused his family...he couldn't. He wasn't a monster...he wouldn't become one. It wouldn't be what his father would have wanted.

He sighed and the glow around him also faded. Morgana stopped sobbing and stared up at him in wonder. She looked shocked that he hadn't finished her off. He stared at her and whispered,

"Why…"

She flinched at the question and stared up at him, tears still falling from her eyes. She looked confused and he took a deep breath to ask again.

"Why did you hunt my father down...what did you hope to gain?"

She frowned at him and then curled herself further and growled,

"Why can't you just kill me? It's what your father would have done by now...don't you want to be just like daddy?" She sneered and Kibou frowned, he heard her tone, she was trying to hide something. There was that hint of hurt behind it...and he didn't know why, but he began to pity her.

"Why are you so set on becoming immortal?" He asked and she turned and glared at him and began to cry harder. She turned to look at his family and started to shake…Kibou waited patiently and finally she whispered,

"Do you know what it's like to be nothing but a disappointment to your father?"

Kibou flinched and stared at her in shock...then the pieces began to fall into place. Her powers, what she could do, it had always seemed familiar. He looked at the defeated mon…mare laying beneath him and understanding dawned. She wasn't a monster...she was a hurt child trying to please her father...

"Tirek...he's...he's your father."

She flinched and it was all the answer he needed. So Tirek was the reason she strives to gain such power. She wanted to be immortal like her father and to be able to hold the magic within her body. Not having either must have disappointed Tirek and he had most likely shunned his daughter. She had been chasing Discord because she believed he was her key to finally getting acceptance from her father.

Kibou shook his head in pity and frowned at Morgan. He wanted to hate her for what she had done, but hate wasn't natural to him. He couldn't hold onto it even in this case, as much as he wanted to hurt her as she had hurt him...that wouldn't bring his father back. He snapped his fingers and a rope wrapped around her body, reinforced by his magic so she couldn't break through.

"I'll leave your fate up to the princesses..."

She stared at him in wonder, not understanding why he wasn't killing her. He saw the questions she wanted to ask and he sighed.

"As much as I want to...I can't be the one to kill you. It's not what my father would have wanted, he didn't want me to ever forget who I truly am. He once told me that together we would finally bury the Lord of Chaos. He wanted nothing more than to finally be rid of that monster that loomed over him. He believed it defined who he is and he didn't want it to do the same to me...

"I won't kill you and prove to ponies that they were right about me or my father. I want to give my father what he always wanted...he sacrificed his life for Equestria. That's what I want ponies to remember him for, I plan to bury the Lord of Chaos today. My father will be remembered as the hero he is...was..." He whispered the last word and the tears returned as he looked at his family.

He snapped his fingers again and the two princesses appeared next to him. Princess Celestia looked at Morgana then her gaze fell on the group of saddened mares. Celestia's eyes widened when she saw Discord laying there. Even though there were tears in her eyes she had to do her duty first.

"What is it Kibou?" She asked in a quiet tone. He lowered his head and whispered,

"Morgana is defeated...I'm leaving it up to you princess, her fate. Now...now if you could excuse me..." He looked back at his family and his heart broke all over again. Princess Celestia was about to say something when Luna's hoof on her shoulder stopped her. She looked down and her younger sister and nodded. Without another word Princess Celestia teleported to Canterlot with Luna and Morgana.

Kibou walked back over to his father. Each step hurt, as if going back meant truly accepting that he was gone. When he reached the group, his aunts moved away leaving him and his mother alone with Discord. He laid down next to his mother and wrapped his tail around her as he rested his head against his father's neck.

"We did it dad...we finally buried the Lord of Chaos...you're free of the monster..." Kibou whispered and broke down in to uncontrollable sobs.