• Published 28th Apr 2012
  • 11,388 Views, 1,203 Comments

A Hero Of War (UNEDITED) - DontWakeTheNeighbour



Rainbow Dash finds herself on the frontline in one of the most fearsome battles in existance.

  • ...
35
 1,203
 11,388

Contempt

Her mind was tired, her legs were weak, she found it hard to breath, she kept walking in the freezing temperatures in the forrest, looking around for any signs of life. Her throat was sore, she had been calling for the soldiers for hours on end as she weakly limped, trying to walk as straight as she could, praying that someone would hear her.

She could feel her pulse throbbing in her head as her mind began to wander, she shook her head, trying to keep focused as her eyelids grew heavy. Rainbow Dash found herself growing more and more tired with every step she took. Every time she lifted her hoof it felt like her leg was made of thick lead.

After three steps she couldn't carry on, Rainbow Dash tried rocking back and forward, hoping the momentum would help but her legs felt like they were bound to the wet grass below. She sobbed before collapsing to the ground, she couldn't care less about her coat, she just wanted to feel safe, like she did when she was curled up close to sergeant Bishop as he slept.

Then thoughts of Bishop crept into her mind, she remembered how he screamed in agony as the bullets tore through the flesh in his back as he held her to his chest, like he was her shield. Was he alive? If so how bad is he hurt? And what's going to happen between him and Dixon? She remembered the unbearable tension as both men stared down the barrels of their guns, neither of them backing down despite the raging battle coming towards them.

She began to think if Dixon was really capable of killing the sergeant. Dixon was taller, younger and had a more bulky physique, after seeing him mercilessly slaughter five men, she began to worry if he could kill the three soldiers left in the platoon. One gravely injured, or dead and two who wasn't as strong, cold and anywhere near as heartless as Dixon was.

All these thoughts only drove her to summon the strength to carry on. As if she was doing a 100th press up she used every ounce of her energy to stand up, placing each hoof in it's correct place before staring into the dark depths of the woods, she growled, she threw herself forward but her front legs didn't follow. She fell to the ground with a thud, slamming her head against a fallen tree, she yelped, grabbing her muzzle.

Pain spread across her mouth, she felt something, she spat something solid and bloody from her mouth before she realized it was a tooth. She could feel the gap left behind in her mouth, she gasped as she looked at her reflection in the puddle, seeing that it was one of her two front teeth that was missing. Usually she wouldn't panic about such an incident, as dentists back in in Equestria could solve this incident with simple magic. But she didn't know how long she would look like this or if she would ever return to her home again.

She couldn't hit the tree with her hoof in fustration if she wanted to, her body was now nothing more then a helpless ragdoll. She felt herself falling into unconsciousness she knew if she fell asleep in his cold weather, she would freeze to death.

She closed her eyes, feeling drops of rain patter against her head, feeling ashamed that she was reduced to wallowing in a muddy puddle. She saw the blood in her mouth as it pooled into the brown water swirling around, feeling her life slowly drain away with it. Her whole body began to sake violently, she clutched herself curling into a ball, her teeth jittering as she whispered to herself.

"I-I-I-I. .... I J-j-just want t-to go. .... H-h-home. .... I. .... I."

She no longer had the energy to speak, wine or even cry. All she could do was rest her teary eyes, hoping it wouldn't take too long and hope that the pain. The torturing pain, will finally stop. The last thing she remembered before she closed her eyes was the warmth of Bishop's body against hers as she felt safe for the first time. Rainbow Dash bled a tear, closing her eyes as she smiled, repeating that treasured memory over and over again until she drifted off into a cold dark slumber.