• Published 29th Apr 2012
  • 5,333 Views, 520 Comments

Subject 27 - Phyrexian



Subject 27 is a dark mystery story with ahint of sad. Mysteries deepen the further you read.

  • ...
45
 520
 5,333

PreviousChapters Next
The Bitter Cold

Chapter 12 - The Bitter Cold

“Aww, poor lad, why didn’t you draw on my power?”

“Because, I wanted to end that fight without bloodshed, I didn’t want to become a enemy of the land. And if I called upon your power then I would be in your debt once again, I need to pay some interests before I use you again.”

“Clever lad, but being a enemy of the country is so much fun! Don’t you remember? Oh wait, of course not!” He appears in front of me in the darkness sitting in a throne, holding a cane with a skull on it in his hand.

“Show me the memory you’re talking about, and what do you mean by ‘enemy of the country’?” My friend leans forward in his throne, as he raises an eyebrow in surprise.

“That’s it my boy! Now lad, sit back, and enjoy the ride I’m about to take you on! Haahahaa!” He laughs madly as my world goes dark once more.

- - -

I was in Moscow Russia. Snow was falling onto the streets, the cold nipping at my body as I walk down the cold sidewalk. Each breath hangs in the air, I can hear the sound of cars and trucks driving up and down the icy road. It was nearing nightfall, the sky turning gray as the night sky mixed with the haze of the clouds and smoke from the chimneys of homes and businesses.

“So Arkis, when was the last time you were in Russia?” Ice Cube is walking next to me, lighting a cigarette as we chat.

“Far too long, my friend, far too long. Last time I was here it was not for pleasure, but for another suicide mission.” The harsh cold nipping at my cheeks, turning them red.

Russia’s winters are very harsh, just the willpower of Russians to keep on living and keep on struggling through each winter inspires me. A smile breaks out across my face as the cold brings me comfort, the wind picks up blowing a icy winds making my ears numb and a little red.

“Damn it, I hate the cold, I don’t see how people can live here.” Ice crosses his arms and starts to shiver as the cold bites us.

“I love the cold, brings me peace just standing out in the cold and listening to the nothingness as the snow falls from the sky just fills my soul up with joy. And hell Ice, your nickname is Ice Cube for fuck sakes!” I start to laugh as Ice takes a drag from his cigarette.

“Yah yah yah, laugh it up while you can, let’s get this damn mission over and get the hell out of here.”

We continue walking down the snow covered sidewalk, nearing our objective. My objective was to prove myself to Ice Cube’s friends, by assassinating Russia’s current leader, Artyom Volkov. He rules Mother Russia with an iron fist. Ices’ friends don’t like how he has been ruling Russia and want to “remove” him from his seat of power. Ice has been appointed to only observe on how I complete this contract, and nothing else.

“Ice, answer me this; Why would removing Artyom affect the outcome of the war? Its not like they just won't replace him.”

“Because, my friends, your clients don’t like Artyom siding with the Germans. So they want you to remove him from his seat of power so they could ‘elect’ their own leader that is on their payroll.” Ice finishes his cigarette and tosses to the ground.

“Heh, so your friends want to change the outcome of the war? As long as they pay I don’t care.”

“Yah, you’re an assassin through and through for sure, only care about the money.” Ice lets out a quiet chuckle.

“Yeah, as long as I don’t have anything to tie me down so that people can use to hurt or take advantage of my services or me; Money is that all that matters to me now.”

“Cloud, please explain to us how you and Subject 27 came to be?”

“While 27 and I were in the facility... He had a decision to pick and picked me.”

Stopping on the sidewalk, turning my head to look behind me as these whispers come out of nowhere. Only stopping for a few moments before Ice grabs my attention.

“Hey Arkis, what’s going on? Don’t tell me you’re getting nervous on doing a simple job like this.”

“N-No, just thought I heard something from behind me.”

“Oh, like what?” Ice now hows a concern look on his face.

“Whispers, nothing more, don’t worry my mind is still sharp enough to complete this mission easily.” I continue walking down the sidewalk past Ice.

Night has now fallen and Ice and I have made it to the objectives’ building. Artyom has been residing in a gothic style castle, guards patrolling the roads and the walls surrounding it. The walls were old but still looked durable enough to climb up to the balconies above. Only a handful of well armed men patrol the ground and a few more up on the second floor.

“Ice, go make yourself comfortable, this shouldn't take too long.” Turning to Ice as he nods his head and walks away.

Turning my attention to my objective, looking it over trying to find the best way to infiltrate the castle. Several balconies littered the second floor and third floor of the castle. Great windows lined the walls of the castle, snow covering anything that it touches. I crouched there in the veil of night, studying the patrol’s routes. Four gourds on the ground are station at each of the four corners of the wall, and a few patrolling along the ground. I can’t make out how many are on the second and third floors of the castle.

I wait for a few seconds more, studying the patterns of the guards before I started to move. The guards walk past, their feet crunching the snow underneath them. I make it to the wall of the castle, I start to climb up the old snow covered walls; Using the old stones to lift myself up.

I make it up to the second floor and peak my head out to see a guard walk past me as I do. As he passes I climb up to the second floor and start my way up to the third. My gloves start getting damp with each new stone I grab; Causing my fingers to start to go numb. As I near the top of the third floor I can hear a conversation between two guards.

"Эй, вы увидите новую игрушку Артема?"

"Hey, you see Artyom's new plaything?"

"Да, черт возьми я бы не прочь пойти на ее сам". The second guard starts to laugh.

"Yeah, damn I wouldn't mind having a go at her myself".

"Жаль, что он рассматривает ее как дерьмо, хотя, например хорошенькая". The first guard lets out a sigh.

"Too Bad he treats her like shit though, such a pretty little thing".

"Да, мы должны лучше вернуться к работе, прежде чем он найдет нас здесь стоял, ничего не делая".

"Yeah, we should get back to work before he finds us standing here doing nothing".
The second guard says before walking away.

I wait for a few more seconds before the first guard starts to walk away; I’ve lost nearly all the feeling in my fingers now. I climb up to the third balcony and spot a nearby door leading into the castle. I open the door and step into the castle, closing it behind me trying not to make any sound.

“Cloud, how long have you and Subject 27 been inside of the facility?”

“I couldn't tell you that Princess Luna. All time seemed lost while we were in that hell hole...”

Those whispers again.... Where the hell do they keep on coming from? I shake it off and I continue my way into the castle. The walls were bare, just a few lights hanging on them as I sneak my way through the empty hallways. I hear the footsteps and chains being dragged across the floor, coming down the nearby hallways. I press my body up against the wall, I stand there holding my breath waiting to see who is walking down the nearby hallway.

"Да ладно вам грязные шлюха! Мастер необходим Lovin!"

"Come on you filthy whore! Master needs some lovin!" A man’s voice yells out as he nears the crossway.

"Артем пожалуйста, остановитесь! Ты делаешь мне больно!"

"Artyom please stop! You're hurting me!" A woman’s voice cries out in pain.

I stand there, still holding my breath as I watch my target walk down through the crossway with a woman in chains crawling on all fours with a chain wrapped around her neck like a dog collar. Artyom has a bottle of vodka in his left hand and the chain in the other, every few steps he takes he takes another swig of his vodka.

"Артем, пожалуйста, вы мне больно!"

"Artyom please you're hurting me!" The woman cries out once more before she crawls into the other hallway with Artyom.

"Остановите плач глупая сука!"

"Stop your crying you stupid bitch!" A smack echos out through the hallway after he yells this.

This is going to be too easy, he’s drunk and horny, easiest money I’ve ever made. I follow my target and his pet down the hallway, keeping my distance to make sure I don’t get noticed. They both enter a room, the door closing behind them, I crept to the door only looking behind me once before I entered.

I slowly opened the door, the sounds of grunts and moans coming from Artyom as I peek my head into the room. The room was well furnished with dimmed lights filling the room, there kneels Artyom and his pet on the bed, he takes another swig from his vodka before continuing to go to town on his pet.

"Тебе нравится, что don’tcha сука?"

"You like that, don’tcha bitch?" He grunts thrusting harder and faster into his pet.

His pet only able to get mixed sounds between cries of pain and moans of pleasure. I snuck into the room with the utmost ease, closing the door slowly and quietly behind me. Sneaking up behind my target, watching his pale skinny body covered in sweat thrusting into his pet over and over again as she continues to let out mixed noises of pain and pleasure.

Only a few feet behind Artyom now I bring my pet blade out to satisfy its hunger, switching the blade so it points in a downward angle, raising it up into the air as I crept closer and closer to Artyom. Then the worst possible thing could happen, my cell phone started to ring. Stopping dead in my tracks as my phone goes off, trying my best not to facepalm myself.

Artyom stops and turns around only able to get a glimpse of me before I rushed him and dug my blade deep into his throat, he falls to the floor flailing about as his life escapes him. I answer the phone call as I watch my target die.

“This is the WORST possible time to call me!” Dragging my hand down across my face.

“Relax Arkis, we’re watching your progress and you did fine, you’re hired.”

“Who is th-?!” The caller hangs up, cutting me off mid sentence.

Artyom’s pet is now looking at me, naked sitting in the bed with a mixed look across her face from joy and horror. I put my cell in my pocket before I start to walk closer to her, raising my blade into the air to kill her.

“S-Stop! P-Please don’t kill me!” She cries out as she backs up in the bed.

“You speak English? Who are you?” Stopping and lowering my blade as I stand there befuddled.

“M-My name is Alex Orlov, I was kidnapped and sold on the slave market, Artyom bought me and treated me like a dog...” Tears start to fill her green eyes as she starts to cry.

“How do you how to speak English?” Standing there at the edge of the bed, watching her closely.

“I-I was taught by my father, he was a tourist visiting Russia and met my mother and never left.” She wipes her tears away as she crawls closer to me.

“Stop, don’t come any closer, I won't hesitate to kill you. How long have you been his pet?” Alex stops after hearing my command, her chain tailing behind her on the bad.

“I’ve been his pet for a-” I stop listening as the whispers start once more.

“Cloud, tell us how Subject 27 was able to survive such brutal punishment.”

“I-I don’t know.... He is able to change his body at will into a black form...”

Turning my head to look around to room trying to pinpoint where the whispers are coming from.

“We see, has Subject 27 shown anything strange lately?”

“Well, when we ran into Colt, after their fight his voice changed and ordered Colt to take me far away from him...”

Snapping back to reality as Alex places her hand on my stomach, quickly bringing my blade to her throat out of reflex.

“A-Are you okay?” She gasp as I quickly bring my blade to her neck.

“Yeah, thought I heard something. Get dressed you’re coming with me.” Her eyes lit up with joy after hearing me say this.

I change into Artyom’s clothing, disguising myself as him; Alex now wearing my clothes as I grab her chain and we walk out the room, only to be greated by a few armed men.

"Сэр! Мы услышали шум, издаваемый камер и хотел проверить на вас, сэр!"

"Sir! We heard some the commotion coming from your chambers and wanted to check up on you, sir!" The men salute me as I come to a stop.

"Вольно мужчин! Нет ничего плохого, просто забавляется с моим домашним животным".

"At ease men! Nothing is wrong, just having a little fun with my pet." Saluting the men back.

"Сэр, ты в порядке? Ты выглядишь немного по-другому".

"Sir, are you okay? You look a little different." The men drop their salute and stand with their hands behind their backs.

"Да, теперь вернуться на свой пост. С моим домашним животным на прогулку подышать свежим воздухом".

"Yes, now return to your post. Taking my pet for a walk to get some fresh air". The men turn around and walk down the hallway.

I start to walk with Alex in chain behind me down the hallway, no other guards are patrolling this hallway. We walk through the castle without any incidence from any of the other soldiers.

“Cloud, tell us about Subject 27’s transformation.”

“H-His body was covered by these black scales, he seemed.... Different. I don’t know how else to explain it, Princess Luna.”

“That’s fine Cloud, is there anything else you can tell us about Subject 27?”

“Well... There are a few oth-.” The whispers cuts off as Alex bumps into me.

“Sorry about that, master.” She quickly backs up off of me.

“Master? Fair enough, come pet.” We continue through out the castle.

We go down a few staircases and through a few doors, the castle was bare and cold, only thing in it was just a few lights hanging on the walls. We eventually came across a pair of large metal doors, two guards standing in front of them salute me as I approached.

"Радуйся, сэр!"

"Hail sir!"

"Вольно мужчин, открыть двери".

"At ease men, open the doors". Saluting the men as they greeted me.

The men press a button which causes the doors to let out a hiss and a whine as they open, the cold air rushed in bringing in snow. We walked through the metal doors into the cold winter night, snow is still falling and covering the courtyard with men patrolling it. We walked through the yard, not getting stopped by any of the guards; We reached the main gates and I ordered the men to open them. We walked through it and down the icy road, Alex’s chain turning cold as the winter air chills it, I can hear the faint sounds of her chain clinking together as we walk.

“M-Master, I’m cold, can we go someplace warm?” Alex jaw starts to chatter as she shivers.

“Just a few more minutes before we are far enough from the castle.” We continue down the snowy sidewalk, snow crunching underneath our feet.

We turned a corner and started to walk down a new block, Ice Cube was leaning against a lamp pole lighting another cigarette as he shivers. He looks up and sees me walking towards him with Alex in tow.

“Who’s this, Arkis? A ‘new’ lady friend of yours?”

“You can say that, I completed the contract, we can leave.”

“Good, how did it go? Any complications?” The cherry of his cigarette lights up as he takes a drag.

“You can say that, your ‘friends’ gave me a call before I completed my mission....” My eyes narrow after saying this.

“Ha! Someone owes me some money then.” Ice starts to clap, knocking some of the snow off of his shoulders.

“Glad to see you’re happy about this, my job was almost compromised because of your ‘friends’. Let’s go before the guards figure out what happened, and Alex is coming with us.”

- - -

I came to, laying in a cell on the floor. My right forearm burns with pain as I try to move it, only being restricted by a cast covering it. My ribs feel like someone hit me with a sledgehammer, I start to get up to my knees before getting tackled.

“27! You’re awake!” Cloud’s voice fills the cell as she yells out.

She wraps her hooves around me, hugging me tightly as she nuzzles her head into my chest. My ribs start to burn once more as her head rubs against my chest, but I ignore the pain and return the hug.

“H-How long was I out?” I sit there in the cell, my mind still a little fuzzy.

“Subject 27, you’ve been out for one whole day, we’ve been keeping a close eye on you. We have a question for you though, what can you tell us about Fade.” Princess Luna’s voice goes dark after saying Fade’s name.

“Cloud, you might want to let go now, it’s about to get very cold in here.” I start to stand up as Cloud lets go.

The air in the cell starts to turn cold as Fade takes over my body. The blood in my body starts to run cold, numbing the pain in my chest and my arm; My veins turned blue as they become visible through my skin. Fade crippling cold starts to affect my body as she runs rampant through it.

“My mistress! It’s an honor to finally be with you once more!” My voice cold and steady, each breath I exhale hangs in the air, frozen.

“Fade... The mistress you knew is dead, Nightmare Moon was defeated by the Elements of Harmony. The ponies of the land now know me as Princess Luna.”

Fade stays silent after hearing the devastating news about her defeated mistress.

“Mistress... I’ve fought just to survive in that hell hole of a facility that I was trapped in... I nearly consumed Subject 27 before we struck a deal, we need information about a the staff members of the facility.” Fade’s presence starts to give me a brain freeze.

“Fade, Subject 27, We’re sorry to hear what you two both been through; Cloud told us what you three went through in that facility. When We we’re Nightmare Moon we created that facility and funded it to run tests on creatures and ponies to see how they would react in dire circumstances. We didn’t expect it to keep on running this long, we’ve built it in the Everfree Forest so nopony would stumble upon it by accident.” I can feel my organs start to fail and shutdown as Fade’s presence still the dominant one.

“Mistress would you be will-.” Cutting Fade off before she does anymore damage to my organs.

“S-Sorry Fade... I-I needed to take control again before my organs shut down and kill me...” Falling to my knees, my whole body feels like one giant popsicle.

“Princess Luna, the terms of our contract are if I assist Fade on getting revenge on the one who trapped her there, then she would spare my life.” I can feel my body start to thaw as my heart pumps warm blood throughout my body.

“Yes, we can help you with this small task. But one problem, no pony magic can trap a shadow, but zebra magic can.”

“Zebra... Magic?” If there are talking ponies then sure, why not zebras too.

“Yes, unicorns can use their horn to wield magic, zebras uses enchantments and incantations.”

“So, pretty much ‘voodoo’ then.” I’ve never been so confused before in my life.

“Voo-doo? We don’t understand this word you use.” Luna’s face now has a confused look upon it.

“Long story short, there’s a thing from my world called VooDoo, it’s a religion based off of worshipping spirits or other deities. They used their knowledge of herbs, poisons to perform rituals for the creation of charms and amulets intended to protect oneself or harm others.” Explaining to the best of my abilities on something I lack knowledge on was rather difficult.

“Y-Yes, that’s rather similar to what zebra magic is, I know of a few zebras who are powerful enough to capture one of Nightmare Moon’s creations. She resides in the zebra nation far from here. And we are sorry for causing you trouble, we weren't expecting to see Fade again; If you wouldn't mind keeping Fade a secret from ponies we would be greatful.”

“Thank you for your help, Princess Luna. And to clarify you don’t have a problem with my race, correct?”

“Correct Subject 27, we don’t have an issue with your kind. Our sister Princess Celestia wanted to give you and Colt a reward for your troubles, how does 5000 bits sound?”

“Sure? I don’t quite know how much that is, but anything would help.” I’m so confused right now, so very confused.

“27.... 5000 bits is a lot... We could live in comfort for quite some time!” Cloud’s voice sings out with joy after hearing this.

“I’ll just take your word on this, Cloud. Princess Luna, do you need me to deliver Colt his share of the reward?” Turning my attention to Luna as she stands there quietly.

“Please, you may call us Luna. And that won’t be necessary, I’ll have one of the royal guards deliver it to him.”

“Okay, Luna, and on the subject about Fade; I’ll keep quiet about her. So far, only Cloud and Colt know about her. I’ll keep her in check so she will not hurt any good pony.” Luna looks visibly relieved after hearing this.

“Doctor, would you mind coming in here and see to Subject 27’s injuries?” Luna turns her head and calls out.

I hear hoof steps tapping against the ground as they come closer to the cell. A stallion unicorn sticks his head from around the corner with a smile on his face, he steps into the doorway of the cell before he speaks.”

“We meet again Subject 27, you already know me as Doctor Helping Hoof.”

Credits

Editor

frieD195

PreviousChapters Next