• Published 13th Mar 2015
  • 1,946 Views, 116 Comments

Changing Tune - Eyeswirl the Weirded



The Dazzlings find their way to the pony capital with a prince as their pawn. What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
7
 116
 1,946

Chapter 2: The Plan

Light burrowing through her eyelids was all Adagio needed to know it was morning, but the sensation of the train coming to a stop was a welcomed addition. Rising gracefully with a stretch, she stepped off the seat she'd slept on. Looking toward the others, she could see they were still fast asleep, Sonata somehow having managed to wind up lying on her back, hooves in the air, two seats away from where Adagio'd seen her the night before. This was far from the strangest thing Sonata had done in her sleep. Wasting no time contemplating tying her down for a night just to see what might happen, Adagio stamped a hoof on the floor of the train car. "Wake up, it's time to get moving."

Aria groggily complied, shaking off sleep by replicating the motion a dog might use to shake off water. Once Sonata was roused as well, Aria chuckled. "Hey, nice tattoo, Adagio."

"What?" Looking herself over again in daylight, she caught sight of a mark on her flank, an identical one on her opposite side; A purple octave note partially obscured by a large, orange gemstone. They were similar to the emblems adorning the pants in her human form's dance outfit, was that why they were on her backside now?

Sonata gasped. "You've got one too, Aria!"

The pegasus had more than wings stuck to her sides now; a silver star with a curved, violet line sticking out from the top and bottom. She did not seem thrilled to have a 'tattoo' of her own, but Sonata went wide-eyed, turning to show them her side. "Oh, do I have one too?!" It was a pink heart with a jagged, blue eighth note over top of it. They quickly learned that, scraping at the marks with their hooves doing nothing to remove them, they were quite stuck with their flank symbols.

Aria groaned. "Either of you know how to get rid of these? They kinda scream 'stare at my ass!'"

Glancing out the train window, Adagio smiled. "Don't worry, it looks like everyone else has them too. We won't stand out so long as we can maintain a low profile." She and Aria both gave Sonata a pointed look, but to their surprise, she actually nodded, giving a crisp salute. Time would tell whether that was a good sign or a bad one as they headed out to see the sights of their new city.

They quickly learned that it was indeed a city, as the streets seemed to stretch much further and many of the buildings were much taller than in the village of Twilight Sparkle's underlings. On the topic of the difference in living conditions of different classes, such as a princess living in a crystal spire and her peasants living in cottages, this was almost certainly a wealthier part of Equestria, the ponies and buildings alike adorned with visually appealing, but unnecessary decoration. Not that the three of them (well, at least two of them) didn't understand the use in good appearances.

Suddenly, Sonata gasped, the other two turning to find out why. They looked at a large, well-polished window, (or possibly a mirror for someone that wanted to be vain from across the street) seeing only their reflections. "Omigosh, we're... we're..."

Aria rolled her eyes. "If you say 'ponies', I am going to deck you."

She grinned brightly. "We're cute!"

Her two companions replied in unison. "What?!"

Nodding at their reflections, Sonata beamed. "Look at us, Don't we just look... cuddly?"

Taking a good, long look in the window/mirror, Aria badly wanted to retort with something scathing, but felt too perturbed by the sight of herself. Soft, plush fur, small, stubby hooves, round, little heads, and big, doughy eyes? It was a far cry from the graceful majesty of their shimmering hippocampus bodies, a change that fully sunk in now as one they'd have to live with.

"We... might be stuck like this for a long time," their leader sighed. No matter, she was sure that, as far as ponies went, they still exuded more graceful beauty than child-like 'cuteness'.

Continuation of their quiet exploration of the new area took the group down a nearly-empty street, where Aria felt free to renew last night's question. "So, how's that plan coming along? What are we gonna do here?"

"For now? It's still a work in progress, but I think if we can repair the gems, we may be able to pick up from where we left off before that wretched little pony mage banished us." She glanced about as they walked, an eyebrow raised. "That it was a unicorn other than him sent to deal with us in the other world tells me he may have expired on his own since then, but we should still be careful."

"He did look like kind of a geezer," Sonata agreed, "I guess he's probably pushing up dai-WAIT!" The three of them stopped, Adagio turning to look back at the others. "You still have the gems?"

Adagio nodded, drawing a small pouch from within her explosively poofy mane. "I gathered up what I could some hours after they were destroyed." She smiled down at the bag of broken jewels, her eyes alight with dark ambition. "They're only powerless fragments now, but if we can stir up enough negative energy, they might just be mended through a kind of magical jump-start." After several seconds, she noticed her cohorts were giving her odd looks. "What?"

Aria raised an eyebrow. "You keep stuff in your hair?"

She scowled, feeling a light warmth in her face. "What of it?"

Purple wings flicked upwards for a fraction of a second as Aria placatingly raised a forehoof, looking away. "Nothing, nothing!"

"Don't look at me like that, we don't have pockets anymore and it's the last place anyone would think to check for precious stones!"

"Then," Sonata spoke up, raising her own forehoof in a more inquisitive fashion, "does that mean you're hiding stuff in your tail, too?"

"What?! Why would I do that?"

She answered with a completely straight face. "Who would think to check your tail?"

They stood in silence for almost a minute, Adagio eventually opting to continue exploring the city she still couldn't remember the name of as she turned away. "You did, just now. Now let's keep moving." After about half an hour more of aimless wandering, the trio overheard a pair of ponies raising their voices not far away. Adagio immediately grinned, inadvertently frightening a nearby group of foals before making her way toward the scene with Aria and Sonata in tow.

"Spring," a mare in a cool-blue sweater-vest said to a one in a wide-brimmed, mint-green hat, "that is a Spring look!"

"Rubbish," she retorted, "this chapeau is a first-rate design from the finest shop in the city, and most definitely in-season!"

Sweater-vest scoffed. "If that season weren't Spring, maybe, we're in the middle of Fall! And what shop is it you get your out-of-fashion items from?"

Green-hat harrumphed. "It is a fall look, and I doubt you could even afford to set hoof in such an establishment!"

Aria nudged Adagio, who was grinning with all her usual malicious mirth at the sight of an argument. "Hey," she uttered, keeping her voice low, "I don't see the mist, you?"

The sense of satisfaction she'd developed watching these things fading as she was snapped out of her thoughts, Adagio whispered back to her. "No. We'll likely need discontent on a much larger scale if we're to renew the gems, but-" the sinister smirk returned, "perhaps we can make use of the fashion industry somehow?"

"It's totally a Spring look," Sonata added quietly.

Before her fellow pony-sirens could ask how she could tell, the pony in the sweater-vest pointed her snout skyward. "Somepony like you wouldn't know style if it bit your poorly-groomed tail off! I've lived in Canterlot more than long enough to know when something is out of season!"

Canterlot, thought Adagio, THAT was the name of this place!

Her smile slowly disappeared as her eyes widening with alarm. She quickly looked at Aria and Sonata to find the former had roughly the same look (Sonata was still looking at the green hat) as they shared a thought in tandem with facial expression. 'Canterlot' was the name of the town in the other world.

That didn't make sense.

Aria and Adagio didn't wait for Sonata to forget to follow them when they went somewhere and grabbed her at the same time, bringing her along to an area full of chairs and tables, but no ponies, about a block away.

Aria glanced about suspiciously, as if anticipating an attack from unseen forces. "Canterlot. Wasn't that... the name of the town that...?"

Adagio made the conscious effort not to do the same thing. She had to keep it together. "It was. But, we're still all ponies, (aaah!) it can't be what it sounds like!"

One of Sonata's ears flickered. "It can't be heavy hoofsteps?"

Facehoof. Carefully this time. "I mean from the looks of things, we've been sent back somehow. Or something. Why would the city have the same name as one in another world?!"

Aria shrugged, trying to convince herself that everything was fine and sounding about as sure of that as she felt. "M-maybe that pony's been through the portal too? I mean, if it's always open, and Twilight Sparkle got through-"

"What would visiting a town in another world, in the form of an alien biped, have to do with hats being in-season?!" That question was the most nonsensical thing Adagio could recall herself ever saying.

Sonata was looking away from the two of them. "Uh, guys?"

"I don't know," Aria countered, wings flapping once in irritation, "how do you explain the name?!"

Adagio grit her teeth. "I can't call it a coincidence, but as it's unlikely all of us simply misheard it, I-"

"Guys?"

They both turned to her. "What?!"

There was a sound of somepony clearing their throat, the group turning to look at a unicorn stallion in a tuxedo collar and a long, golden mane. Annoyance shown clear in his bright-blue eyes. "This isn't private property, but I'll no less ask what brings the three of you to a normally-deserted patio."

Realizing how suspicious they must have looked right then, Adagio formulated a short-term plan. She displayed a calm, charming grin. "Oh, we just needed a quiet place to rehearse some lines, we're thespians, you see, ladies of the stage." She casually brushed a lock of her mane aside while shooting Aria and Sonata a split-second glance. Aria subtly nodded, communicating that she got the message. Time would tell if Sonata could play along as well.

"Actresses?" The stranger tilted his head a little. "You don't look familiar. Where do you usually perform?"

She chuckled, admiring her own hoof as she spoke. "Oh, we're new in town, seeking greener pastures, expanding our horizons." She nodded to her right, "This is Aria Blaze," then to her left, "Sonata Dusk," then gestured to herself, "and you may call me Adagio Dazzle."

He eyed them curiously for several seconds. "Hmph... Never heard of any of you."

Something in his tone aggravated Aria considerably. "What, you know every actress in the world?"

There was a flicker of surprise on his face before Adagio cut off his reply, redoubling her effort to look friendly, but not quite amorous. "And what brings you here, if you don't mind my asking? Is there something troubling you?"

Focusing on Adagio again, he all but sneered. "There is nothing troubling me at all."

Hook. "Oh?" She asked, maintaining a sympathetic tone, "Is that why you frequent a place you know to generally be vacant? When some-" she caught herself in a fraction of a second, "-pony wishes to be periodically alone, it's usually an indicator that something is amiss, wouldn't you say?"

He rolled his eyes. "I do not 'periodically' isolate myself, I was just wandering through town on a whim."

Line. "I see. Then how do you know this area is 'not private property', and 'normally deserted'?"

His surprised expression told her he was caught in a lie and he knew it. "I, I..." Adagio felt a small sense of satisfaction as he glanced nervously about, but she kept it off her expression as he went on. "It's, uh..."

Sinker! "Perhaps," she said with a tinge of suggestion, "we could hear about it while you show us around town? We are a little new here, after all."

"Hel-loooo," Aria and Adagio braced themselves, "we're way new here. We just got off the train this morning aft-" She was cut off by a wing whapping her on the back of the head. "-ow!" Aria whistled innocently, not entirely sure how she pulled that movement off.

Visibly confused, the stallion eyed them curiously before seemingly remembering the conversation. "I, err... Very well, suppose we'll begin with the local area?"

Adagio let out a soft, lady-like laugh. "Might we have your name first? It would only be polite."

Now he looked surprised. "You don't recognize me? At all?"

Sonata always had an odd sense of timing to look cheerful. "No sirree!"

Aria shrugged, rolling her eyes. "You don't know every actress in the world, we don't know every guy who walks around by himself. Shocker."

Before Adagio could silently express irritation at her undermining the efforts to charm and manipulate their new acquaintance, he snorted with amusement, smirking a little.

"No, I suppose not. I am Prince Blueblood, at your service."

He finished the statement with a quick bow, Adagio making the mental note to pounce on any odd behavior from her cohorts, or at least make sure he didn't notice.

We cannot afford a repeat of Sunset Shimmer right now.

He started walking, the Dazzlings following as he spoke. "This is the older part of the Downtown area, little to make it stand out from the rest of the city other than how little generally goes on here..."

---

After a brief tour of the Marketplace, he'd shown them around the Residential District, asking what family they'd known that urged them to come to Canterlot, but Adagio quickly thought up a story about the three of them starting entirely fresh. It wasn't even a lie, technically. The following conversation went from where they'd planned to stay, to how much money they had on them, to when the last time they'd eaten was. 'Before we entered the portal some time last night' was off the table in terms of explanation, but Blueblood suggested a trip to the food court next. Strangely, Adagio didn't need to say a word for him to offer to pay for their meals, but it did provide a window in which to ask about what it was that made him want to spend time alone at the patio they'd met in.

Sitting across from the three of them at the table they'd been seated at, he repressed a groan. "Suppose that brings us to the social structure of the city. If you must know, some colleagues of mine have been inquiring as to the state of my bachelorhood. More specifically, whether or not I've found accompaniment for the upcoming charity drive at Fancy Pants's -that's a particularly well-known and popular name in these circles- chateau on the edges of the upper and middle housing areas."

There would be time later to rant about Fancy's obvious attempt to look 'closer to the hard-working every-colt' by living next to, but pointedly not in one of the less extravagant homes. Though actually doing so would probably raise the same few questions over and over again from his peers, which Blueblood could appreciate not wanting to deal with. Another time.

Adagio delicately sipped on tea she didn't catch the name of. She'd had to pointedly clear her throat when Aria and Sonata practically started scarfing their meals down like what Aria had described one of the Rainbooms doing with an entire cake, by herself somehow, to avoid suspicion. Still, she silently conceded that not having eaten in the better part of a day and not being able to fall back on the energy of the gems might leave a pony-siren somewhat famished. "I see. And what is it you intend to do regarding this shortage of pleasant company for an important event?"

She glanced at Sonata, who was chewing on a steamed carrot. For reasons Adagio had never dared question, Sonata never said anything compromising when her mouth was full. It was possible she possessed impeccable table manners when not starving, possible she was just too tuned out while feeding to hear and respond to anything anyone was saying.

"Well..." Thoughts muttered by some of those nearby the times he'd been asked if he had a date again bounded through his head.

"Of course not, he is the most eligible bachelor in Equestria!"

"Maybe when he's a little older? Fancy Pants never has any trouble bringing friends."

"Maybe somepony should look into arranged marriages?"

Suppressing the idea of smothering certain ponies to death with a giant hat, he eyed the trio curiously. "What might you three be doing five days from now?"

Adagio displayed a perfect imitation of mild surprise. "Us, Mr. Blueblood?" Quickly looking back and forth between Aria and Sonata was purely for show, but the 'uncertain' look on Aria's face suggested she was playing along. This might have been the only time Sonata's general cluelessness worked to their advantage. "We're not even certain where we'll be staying tonight, let alone where we might find ourselves in the better part of a week." Something about dishonesty just tickled her all the more when what she was saying was technically true. The plan was still vague at best.

He smiled a little. "Perhaps I can be of use in resolving both problems? There remains a great quantity of the city to be seen and ample space in my place of residence. Hosting three performers far from home would be little trouble, if you would oblige."

It was, Aria thought, remarkable just how much underlying malice a friendly, grateful grin could project when Adagio did it, but her newest puppet apparently didn't notice.

Maybe it's just me?

Maybe Adagio's other skill, if not tricking people (ponies?) into doing what she wanted them to do, was scary smiles. She snuck a quick peek at Sonata, who was innocently polishing off her cup of tea, as Adagio shook hooves with Whatshisname over an arrangement for them to stay in the city.

"Well then," their oddly terrifying leader said with smile, "we'll be imposing on you for a time. Where did you say you lived again?"

---

Fifteen minutes later, he was showing them the gates to the largest structure they'd seen so far; Castle Canterlot. 'Prince' Blueblood was, it seemed, more than just a fancy name. As they trotted past the guards in heavy, golden armor, Blueblood leading the way, Aria could see by the look on her face that Adagio was making one of those now-or-never decisions. Probably about turning tail (which the three of them were still getting used to having again) and fleeing to find another city or sticking it out here, in what might have been the heart of the enemy government. It seemed safe to assume they were allied with Princess Twilight, even if her town was comparatively modest.

Maybe she just taxes the fur off her subjects? Might explain why she lives in a crystal tower.

Anyway, if she knew Adagio, the chance to wrap a high-ranking pony authority around her finger hoof would be too much to resist, and they'd be taking their chances with the most powerful pony she could play like a fiddle.

That didn't get rid of a particular niggling thought in the back of her mind, however: Why would a local leader have been wandering around by himself?

He didn't bother with a tour of the interior, just told them that if there was anything they needed, castle staff would likely see to it before heading to the guest rooms. "If it isn't too much trouble," Adagio half-purred, "could the three of us share a room? We just-" she quickly wrapped her forelegs around the necks of the other two Dazzlings, pulling them close in a surprise group-hug, "-hate to be separated from each other for long..."

Before Aria could verbally object, the hug tightened, particularly around their throats so as to deny the possibility. Adagio was getting frighteningly serious about whatever scheme she was cooking up in all this.

Raising an eyebrow, Blueblood nodded once. "I'm sure it could be arranged, though you'll probably be better suited to one of the larger rooms, in that case. This way, please."

When Adagio let go of them to follow, Sonata tenderly rubbed her neck while whispering to Aria. "Jeez-Louise! I was turning blue for a second there!"

A deadpan stare was her only reply.

---

The prince had left them waiting in a parlor, saying he had a few things that required his attention but that their quarters should be ready before too long. Aria didn't want to think about what kind of time frame they worked on here if an hour was 'faster than anticipated', if the mustachioed stallion in the red tail-coat was to be believed. He led them to what he referred to as the Pisces Room of the Nothern wing, the door and interiors largely consisting of cool blues and pale greys.

Adagio stood staring out towards the balcony of their large, circular room as the sun began to set. The view was incredible, not only for the gleaming light wrapping around the city structures, but for the distant horizon that looked so far below it was as if she was looking out at it from the top of a mountain.

That must be a trick of architecture I've never even heard of. Is our host trying to impress, or do all the rooms of the castle offer such a feast for the eyes?

Aria sat on one of three soft, elegant beds that were placed radially along the walls of the room, feeling freer to speak while the door was shut. "Alright," she huffed to Adagio, "what was that about?"

Turning away from the slow-dimming scenery, she raised a brow. "What was what about?"

"Oh I don't know," Aria answered with a roll of her eyes, "damn-near strangling us?!" There was a flicker of fear in the back of her head when Adagio's gaze hardened, her voice low.

"I couldn't very well risk a dent in our solidarity should either of you have said anything unfortunate." She crossed the room in graceful strides, stopping about half a meter from where Aria sat. "It'll be easier to collaborate if we remain together, no chance for someone to get suspicious if they notice the three of us meeting up to talk in private as often as is needed. Besides," she glanced at Sonata, who had taken to standing out on the balcony to wave at random ponies just beyond the castle walls, "do you really want her out of our sight for any longer than is strictly necessary?"

"Gasp! Hey guys, you should see this! It is soooo pretty out here!"

Aria clenched her jaw with worry, repressing a shudder at how fast they might find themselves in prison. Or worse. "Yea, good point."

"Good," she replied with a curt nod, "as we're quite possibly in the pony capitol right now." There would hopefully be time later to uncover the structure of Equestrian government, but so far it appeared there were little communities connected by train paths, each ruled over by a different prince or princess. Presumably there was a king and queen somewhere, but for now they were dealing with a prince, which brought her to the plan. "We have perhaps five days to make a servant out of our host, or we'll likely be back where we began this morning."

"Right. So, how do we do that?"

Smirking, Adagio whistled for Sonata to join them. When they were all together, she donned her most sinister grin. "Alright, we have at our hooves an opportunity to rebuild our power like never before. Influence over those in charge of that school will be nothing to having a national authority figure under our sway."

"For realzies? How are we gonna brain-wash him if we can't sing?"

She chuckled. "He is a stallion, we are mares. More specifically, I am a mare he already has his eye on. I'll make him my thrall within three days."

Sonata giggled conspiratorially, but Aria wasn't sure that was what Blueblood was thinking when he looked at any of them. Still, if wasn't her that had to do the goo-goo eyes, without being able to sing him into happy servitude at that, she wasn't about to complain.

"The plan is simple; I need you two to go out and accompany him for an evening each, get to know as much about him as you can, and report your findings to me. I'll be effectively avoiding him until my turn comes, giving him little more than brief glimpses and short greetings with just a hint of flirtation to remember me by. Then, after he's had a few days of pent-up curiosity and a subconscious longing for my company, I'll use what I've learned from your excavations into his psyche to ensnare him. Once we hold a prince in our power, it will be child's play convincing him to raise taxes, close businesses, and otherwise make decisions to sew as much anger and resentment in the population as possible, showering the city, perhaps the nation, in negative energy!"

She held up a hoof in a theatrical manner, her eyes burning with fierce intensity. "And then, as ponies far and near grow more and more frustrated the further we push him into despotism, our time will come again as the gems, repaired by the sheer breadth of hatred in the air, will re-form to grant us our voices back! With them, at last, all the power in the world will be ours to drink in, and nothing, not even Princess Sparkle, will be able to stop us!"

She finished her speech with what was unmistakably maniacal laughter. Aria and Sonata shared her malevolent spirit, but their own laughter still sounded more like girlish giggles than evil cackles. Luckily, there was no one present to point these things out to the three of them.

"Ok," Aria picked up, "so how are you gonna convince Blueblood to go along with the first part?"

It seemed like there was an evil smirk for every occasion, including a suggestive sort of confidence. "Leave that to me, I won't need more than a few sentences at most to convince him to spend a bit of time with us individually."

"Alright." Turning their heads simultaneously, the two of them noticed Sonata was still giggling. Aria applied a correcting hoof to thwap her on the back of the head.

Now silent, Sonata immediately adapted a wide-eyed vaguely contemplative look, as though something in her head had been jolted into action via percussive maintenance. "Gasp! Fake names! We told the prince our real names, not fake ones! What if somepony figures out who we are?!"

Distantly proud of her for adapting pony speech so quickly and faintly irritated with her for apparently forgetting their own just as fast, Adagio touched a hoof to Sonata's shoulder. "Relax. We've been away for around half a year, we look nothing like we used to, and even our most recent enemies probably never knew us as more than 'the sirens', or our group name." She didn't remember the names of more than Twilight Sparkle or Sunset Shimmer herself, but that didn't seem important right now. "Even if Princess Sparkle hears about the three of us, it's unlikely she'd understand who we were. Besides," she gave Sonata a pointed stare, "in the event we were to have a slip-up with cover names, even once, the aliases would likely prove our undoing."

As Aria contributed to the accusatory look with her own, Sonata's eyebrows furrowed. "Hey, I'm starting to get the feeling you guys think I'm an idiot or something!" She tried to put her forehooves on her hips a few times, but found that keeping her balance in that pose was extraordinarily difficult for a pony, and settled for standing on all fours with an angry look on her face.

The other Dazzlings, who knew they wouldn't safely be able to use that name anymore, exchanged deadpan stares before she spoke up again.

"I'm not stupid!!"

"Right," Adagio said with a nod, "then you won't mind accompanying me to the nearest library tomorrow to get started on learning how to use-" she indicated Sonata's horn, "that thing."

She blinked twice. "What thing?"

Adagio confirmed that she had mastered the art of the facehoof without hurting herself. "The magic spike sticking out of your head!"

"Oh, that!"

Aria shook her head. "Urrgh. This is what I mean when I say you are The Worst."

"Am not!"

"Are too."

"Am not!"

"Are too."

Adagio silently backed away from their inane little exchange, content to lay on her bed, put a pillow over her head, and let the two of them work things out themselves this time.

"Am not!"
"Are too."
"Am not!"
"Are too."
"Am not!"
"Are too."
"Am not!"
"Are too."

Author's Note:

The arguing ponies have no names, were not terribly important, and will never come up again, as is the spirit of one-time bit-part characters. Being in this fandom, you know what that means! Feel free to leave a comment for your thoughts on their names, backstories, cutie marks, tribes, preferred brand of toothpaste, thoughts on wearing socks, etc., and some day they may star in fanfics of their very own! :pinkiehappy: