• Published 13th Mar 2015
  • 1,944 Views, 116 Comments

Changing Tune - Eyeswirl the Weirded



The Dazzlings find their way to the pony capital with a prince as their pawn. What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
7
 116
 1,944

Chapter 3: Books and Princesses

Aria woke to the sunrise, orange light streaming in through the balcony. Glancing about, she saw that Sonata was, as usual, the last one to wake, still softly snoring into the opposite side of her bed from where the pillow was placed.

Pretty tame for her, actually. Wonder if she's deliberately keeping from doing anything weird, somehow, because we're in a castle?

Looking back towards the balcony, she saw the orange puff of hair she'd come to associate with their leader since the day they first took mammal forms. Not caring if Sonata woke up, but moving quietly anyway, she stepped out onto the balcony herself. Standing behind Adagio in the chilly morning air as the sun burned on the horizon, the light seemed to wrap around her in a way that made it look like she was glowing, practically on fire. Aria had three guesses as to her facial expression at that moment. "Uh, hey," she ventured, "what're you doing out here?"

Adagio turned to face her not with a diabolic smirk, much to her surprise, but a puzzled expression. "It really looks like we're very high up, doesn't it?"

Glancing past her, Aria nodded. "Well, yea, we're in a palace and all. Don't they usually build those in high places?"

"It's more than that, look." She gestured to the horizon. "It looks so... distant, so far down, from where we're standing. Where did that train take us? When did we get so high up?" Silently cursing the fact that they'd slept through the ride and thus missed the shifting of scenery, she contemplated having Aria fly about to give her some insight as to their exact location.

She probably hasn't gotten the hang of that yet, and it would likely draw too much attention were she to fall again.

There was also the danger of broken limbs, but they'd caught her just fine last time.

Aria shrugged. "I dunno, does it matter?"

"Of course it matters! If we're not to raise suspicion, we can't be utterly ignorant of our environment. We'll have to learn more about this place than a general layout of the city, starting with geographical standing. Perhaps I can find a map or-"

She was cut off by the sounds of knocking, along with the voice of the mustachioed stallion from the day before. "Good morning ladies," he called through the door, "breakfast will be served shortly, Master Blueblood has requested that I retrieve your company for the meal."

Sonata jumped from where she'd been sleeping. "Chow time! Let's go, guys!"

It was right about then that the two on the balcony realized that they hadn't eaten since the day before. Again. Having to actually appease their stomachs was still weird.

---

On the way to the dining room, they learned the old pony escorting them was named Kibitz, and that he'd apparently been working at the castle for many years. If Adagio was thinking of a way to use that information, she didn't say as much. Once they were seated and greetings were exchanged, the three found a fairly wide selection of food already on the long, long table. It seemed like something of a waste, because apart from a few servant ponies going about their business, there were only the three of them and Prince Blueblood at the table.

"So," he began, "how are you three finding the castle? Is everything to your liking?"

Unfortunately, Sonata hadn't yet distracted herself with anything on the table, and as such had the capacity to answer. "It's great! The beds are so soft it's like they're made of clouds!"

Blueblood nodded, taking a sip from his glass. "Cumulus-weave, if memory serves, to say nothing of the quilts. It's amazing what pegasi can come up with, no?"

Aria flinched, feeling like she should have known what that meant, but Adagio stepped in with a calm grin. "Our accommodations have been exquisite, thank you. Might you have any plans for today?"

"I do have a few obligations to attend to, in addition to the day-job. I never did ask what it was, beyond a tour of the town, that the three of you might be in search of."

Picking up a nearby scone to focus on, Adagio demurely looked away. "We have little in the way of an objective. For the last few months, we've essentially been wanderers, so meeting you has been a blessing." She finished by taking a quick bite of the scone, finding it to be warm, buttery, and delicious.

"You must have some stories to tell."

She spared a split-second glance at Sonata. Syrup-slathered toast in mouth, there was nothing to worry about. Moving her head just barely enough to meet his eyes, Adagio displayed a small smile. "I'm afraid it's not as interesting as it may sound, which is why we've been meaning to find a place to settle down, at least for a little while."

Blueblood smiled in kind. "I'm sure your presence here is no great burden, perhaps there's something in Canterlot to your tastes?"

She smiled wider, looking directly at him now. "That was what I meant to ask about, actually. Sonata has been looking for a book on magic for some time now and I'd like to assist her. Is there anywhere we might find such a thing, locally?"

He almost laughed. "A spellbook? In the right neighborhoods, you may trip over them walking down the street. The study wing of Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns -open to the public on week days- should have more tomes available than you'll likely see in most parts of Equestria combined."

It was good timing that Sonata had just taken a bite of what was apparently a particularly tasty donut, because the look of delight on her face was a dead ringer for somepony hearing that they'd soon have what they'd spent too long looking for.

"Splendid," Adagio continued, "but even when we find a book, there's no knowing how long we may be preoccupied in learning to use the spells." That one wasn't a lie at all, she had no idea how one went about using magic outside of singing.

The prince chuckled. "Say no more, I'm well aware the difficulties that can accompany arcane mastery, never mind prerequisites for some of the more advanced spells." Looking away, he grumbled about something that sounded a lot like 'underwater basket weaving', but Adagio was sure she'd simply misheard him.

"Well," Aria spoke up casually, having finished a plate of pancakes, "I'm available today. Or later tonight, if you're busy." She hadn't forgotten what she was supposed to do today and it had been more than a few sentences.

Swallowing the last of the scone, Adagio's face brightened for more than a small sense of pride in her subordinate. "Excellent idea, Aria! Perhaps you could join our host in exploring the city further?"

Looking a little surprised, Blueblood turned to Aria. "I have time this evening, yes. Is there anywhere in particular you'd like to visit?"

Cooly averting her eyes, she crossed her forelegs and shrugged. "I don't know, what do they do for fun around here?"

Opening his mouth and shutting it again told her there was something he decided not to say. She felt like there were more reasons to be suspicious of this guy all the time. "It depends on one's tastes, I think, quite a wide and varied city, if one knows where to look."

He caught her look, the one that said 'and as I got here yesterday, I DON'T know where to look. You dunce.'

"Might I suggest the Mauvaise Fracture? Something of a new establishment in the last few weeks. Business has been so-so, but there are a few talented chefs working there in addition to some small-time, but not unskilled performers for ambient experiences, and it's rarely very crowded."

A place they play music and not a lot of ponies around to listen in? Sold! She smiled a little. "Yea, that sounds good."

Mostly pleased with the outcome of that exchange, Adagio glanced to Sonata, who was staring at two well-fashioned, but empty seats at the head of the table. Sonata seemed to sense this, and turned to look at her inquisitively. "Hey, is somepony missing?"

Kibitz, standing by that end of the table, cleared his throat. "Princess Celestia has opted to dine in her study this morning, Princess Luna finished breakfast -dinner in her case- about an hour prior."

Adagio looked at Blueblood, incredulous and a tad offended, but trying to contain her expression to just curiosity.

There are two princesses already living here? His wives? Did he mean to make us his concubines?!

The apparent playcolt of a prince raised an eyebrow, his tone dull, as though having to spell out the punchline to an overused joke. "Princess Celestia and her sister? Rulers of all Equestria? Perhaps you've heard of them?" When the only reply was confused/worried/curious stares from all three visitors, he looked back at them in surprise. "Truly? I might understand with Luna, she's been, err, out of the picture for a while, but surely you know of She Who Raises the Sun?"

'Raises the sun,' mouthed Adagio before stammering together a question. "I-I, what are you talking about?"

He stared back at them, eyes wide. "Where did you say you three were from...?"

"W-we, we're-"

Suddenly, he smiled. "Well, at any rate, I should introduce you to them. They are family, after all!"

Cold dread slithered it's way into Adagio's stomach. Right next to the delicious, fresh-buttered scones. By the look of her cohorts, a similar feeling was winding through their entrails as well.

---

Once breakfast was finished, the four of them, three having had no viable excuse to refuse the coming meeting, stood at a large, ornate door. "Auntie Celestia, are you preoccupied at the moment?"

The answer came in exactly the voice they'd heard from Principal Celestia, albeit somewhat muffled by distance and the polished wooden door. "Oh, not at all, please come in!"

As they entered, what little relief Adagio felt that the princess was not Blueblood's wife, but his aunt, was crushed under the barely-contained panic that they would still be dealing with a princess in seconds. There was always the chance Twilight Sparkle and this 'Celestia' weren't on speaking terms at all and she would have no reason to suspect them, right?

The room itself was, as expected, extravagant, but less so than she might have guessed for a 'Ruler of Equestria.' Plush carpets, intricately-decorated furniture, golden fixtures, all of this was present, but in no greater quantity than in the room the three of them were staying in.

Is Twilight Sparkle just some kind of opulent egomaniac? I don't even see any crystals in here.

Out of a doorway came what may have been the largest pony in the world; a white creature featuring appendages of all three pony types they'd seen thus-far. Sonata felt silently abashed at her moment of panic back in Twilight's tower, with those wings, that flowy mane, and a horn, Celestia was the prettiest freak unicorn she'd ever seen!

She smiled pleasantly, apparently making no notice of the three staring at her in shock. "Good morning, Nephew. Is there something I can help with?"

He nodded, gesturing to his guests. "There are some ponies I'd like you to meet; Adagio Dazzle, Aria Blaze, and Sonata Dusk."

Celestia externally displayed only a warm grin. She knew it was too soon to dare dream that any of them were his fillyfriend, but they were definitely cute enough to be!

Though at this point, he could date a diamond dog and I'd be happy.

The graceful Princess of Equestria™ contained the urge to skip with glee that he'd brought home friends of any kind. "Pleased to make your acquaintance!"

Adagio was first to recover, trying her hardest to display a pleasant and civil expression. "H-hello, uh, Princess Celestia, we, we're... we're..." she could feel her knees shaking. If Twilight Sparkle had the power to stop them by standing close to some flunkies, she could only imagine how little it would take for 'She Who Raises the Sun' to annihilate them even if they'd had their full power.

The princess only kept her warm smile, quite accustomed to roughly this reaction to meeting her for the first time.

I wonder how Twilight's been handling it?

The best thing to do usually seemed to be staying as casual as possible, things like 'please don't worry, I'm not going to banish you anywhere' being surefire ways to make ponies self-conscious, often making composure more difficult. Not that that wasn't adorable sometimes, but the last thing she wanted to do was scare them off. Her tone was gentle and patient. "Yes?"

Taking a quick breath, Adagio's brain kicked into high gear. She spoke a little faster than was strictly necessary, but managed to knock the stammer out of her words. "We're pleased to make your acquaintance, Princess. Your nephew has been kind enough to offer lodging here in the castle for the next few days, so we'll be imposing on your staff for a while."

"I see! There's more than enough room here, so please make yourselves at home."

Adagio did something between a deep nod and a low bow. "The hospitality of your family is most appreciated."

Celestia giggled, somehow sounding like the chiming of bells through a voice. "Please, stay as long as you like, it's no trouble." She held a hoof to the side of her muzzle, voice low and conspiratorial. "If anything, I have trouble finding enough for those working here to do."

The ponified sirens all blinked once in unison as Blueblood rolled his eyes. "That's because you do as much as possible yourself, Auntie."

She stuck out her tongue mischievously. "What's the fun in doing nothing?"

"Fair enough." He nodded to the trio. "Anyway, would you mind telling your sister of their presence in the castle, when she wakes? I'd rather not risk a repeat of the last 'intruder' incident."

Celestia facehoofed, sighing. "Yes, I'll pass it along. That poor griffon..."

As he turned to leave, Adagio took her cue to get out of there while things were good, her movement snapping Aria out of the terrified daze she'd spent the entire encounter in. To the dismay of both, Sonata remained where she'd stood, staring straight at Celestia, who took notice with an inquisitive gaze. "Yes? Was there something else I could help you with?"

Sonata beamed. "I really like your mane!"

Surprised, Celestia's mouth made a little "o" before she smiled brightly. "Why, thank you!"

Adagio silently hoped that was a point in their favor. "Come on, Sonata, we still have to find that book."

"Ooh, right!" she quickly waved goodbye and followed the rest out.

Alone, Celestia returned to her study.

What a lovely group of fillies! The violet one didn't say anything, but that still went over pretty well!

She did her best to ignore the sense of impending doom, meddling in her nephew's relationships (the word being used in the loosest possible sense, though she thought he was onto something with that disk jockey) never seemed to produce more great-to-the-Nth-power grandfoals. He could handle things on his own, right? Looking over a zoning document from the Crystal Empire, she felt an impish smile spread across her face.

I don't think Twilight would reasonably care one way or the other, but if Luna and I are to know about Blueblood's new friends, perhaps the Princess of Love would like to as well...?

---

Blueblood made good on his offer to show them the library of a prestigious school by having a random guard walk them there, saying he had business to attend to. In the gentle din of the city streets, Aria felt confident that the guard wouldn't overhear them whispering. "Hey, you think something's up with our 'friend', the prince?"

Glancing at her, Adagio kept her voice low as well. "How so?"

"You didn't notice him staring at you, back in the princess's room? And it wasn't like a, just-heard-us-sing, would-do-whatever-we-say kind of look, it was almost expectant. I think he was waiting for you to do something."

This seemed to give her pause. "That is certainly worth noting, but I think we may have been overly cautious of Celestia. She didn't seem to mind us at all. If anything, she looked pleased we were there."

Aria rolled her eyes. "No shock there, with the pretty little act you've been doing."

"Of course," Adagio said with a hint of irritation, "it's that act that's keeping us above suspicion. You could stand to be a little less vitriolic, you know."

Gritting her teeth, Aria had to remind herself to keep walking with the others to avoid stamping a hoof in frustration. She wasn't sure what it meant that she felt her wings twitch. "Oh, come on! Don't you think something's weird here? He takes in three strangers off the street, introduces them to the ruler of the country the next day, and just silently watches, not saying another word about it? He's up to something, I know it!"

"As are we," Adagio hissed, "it's easy to suspect others when they have a reason to suspect you, so we must be on guard against ourselves just as much as anything else."

"Ourselves?!"

She gave a curt nod. "Paranoia is just as toxic to a covert operation as incompetence. I'll admit that circumstances aren't perfect here, but as they're still going better than we could have dreamed, I'm not about to compromise our progress over a vague sense of uneasiness. If we were playing it safe, we'd have probably made some excuse and left when he brought us to the palace."

Trying not to scowl, Aria opted to go along with the plan for now, but damned if she didn't hate how it was turning out. When they reached the library, Adagio and Sonata went inside, Aria having only come along to know where they were if she needed to find them. She was escorted back to the palace by the guard that brought them. That he didn't say a word the whole trip was just another red flag to her.