• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 3,414 Views, 40 Comments

Changeling or Not - Lord Despair



Sometimes, all it takes to change how a whole country thinks is one man or pony

  • ...
24
 40
 3,414

Becoming a Guard

"I, Bright Justice do solemnly swear that I will faithfully pledge my allegiance to Celestia and the land of Equestria, and will, to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the laws and citizens of Equestria."

Today was a very important day for a this young Pegasus, today was the day he would graduate from the royal guard academy and be inducted into the official royal guard of Equestria. He stood on a wooden stand in the middle of Canterlot town square, he stood in front of his commanding officer, Dusky Trails; Sergeant Major of the Royal Guard of Canterlot, which was the second highest in the Equestrian royal guard; since the highest was Commanding General of Royal Guard, or CGRG for short. Bright gave him a quick salute before accepting his title of Pvt. Justice.

After him was Bright's very good friend, Cloudy Steel. A Pegasus like himself, but the only difference was Cloudy was more scrawny. Cloudy tended to be a coward at times, and wore glasses. While Bright was more muscular and taller than Cloudy was. Cloudy graduated for always getting perfect scores on the tests, his agility, and his speed. While Bright graduated because of his combat skills, strength, and agility. But he never did too well on tests, he passed them; but he never got a perfect score like Cloudy did. But either way, they made it and they planned on staying in the guard for a long time. They became so confident for their time being there, they even made a bet. Who ever got to Sgt or higher, the loser would have to pay 100 bits.

When they started, Bright and Cloudy were given the position they called "Door Duty" where they stood in front of the throne rooms doors for hours on end until their shifts ended there. Then they would be moved to street walking; where they would walk the streets of Canterlot. Bright enjoyed this time because he was able to interact with the community of Canterlot, he was always a good stallion. He never did anything to hurt or offend anypony, he would help old mares with bags, help lost children or even play along with them if no other guard was around. But every time Cloudy caught him, he would always remind Bright that playing hoofball with the kids isn't getting him closer to being Sargent. All in all, Bright was a good stallion. But he took his guard duty seriously when it came to criminals, whenever somepony broke the law and Bright was the one to bring them in, Bright would make sure that the pony who committed the crime got what he or she deserved.

But, his final position was his least favorite and he had Cloudy to agree with him. His last shift was keeping watch over ponies in the death row cells. It sickened him knowing that the ponies in these cells murdered, raped, or did any other despicable thing to get where they are now. It would nearly make him gag every time he heard another guard come in yelling,

"Dead pony walking" over and over again before getting the criminal to its cell. That was another thing, Bright never called any of the ponies in death row living beings or him or her. It was always it or thing. He had little to no respect for the scum that filled that cell corridor.

But the worst of it all was when an execution would be held. The agonizing screams and shouts from those things could be heard from all the way to Apple Loosa and The Badlands. There were two ways a pony on death row died, either by hanging or electric chair with the electric chair being the most common. But one death wasn't spoken of, it was never used since 1881, when a stallion nicknamed 'Crazy Horse' was executed. He raped 13 young fillies in both Las Pegasus and Ponyville, murdered 20 ponies in Manehatten, Las Pegasus, Ponyville, and Apple Loosa, and burned down half of Apple Loosa.

It was called death by torture. For it to work, a unicorn of the royal guard had to use the magic of torture. But the unicorn who was the one to commit such an act had to be CGRG or higher in the royal guard ranks. It was banned by the Equestrian empire because it was voted too violent and was very unlike the peaceful ways of the Equestrian government and law.

But at the end of the day, Bright considers all the events he encounters all worth it when it comes to the safety of the innocent and sadly oblivious community of Canterlot and Equestria. Yes, both Bright and Cloudy believed that the community of Canterlot if not Equestria were oblivious to the more darker world that's been hidden from them for so long. The poverty and slavery in Indoneighsia, the prostitution of Manehatten and Las Pegasus, and other starving countries such as the Zebra Republic.

Canterlot was like a gem in Equestria, wanting to keep it safe and hidden from danger as much as possible. It was Bright and Cloudy's job to keep that safety in check and to make sure that nothing like the Changeling attacks ever happen again.

But this duty they had, and their oath to their ruler Princess Celestia, would be challenged and broken. But would it be for the best?

~***~

Bright arrived to the locker rooms where the guards left their armor and took showers at the end of their shifts. There was a small break room at the end of the large room where some of the guards lazed and relaxed until an alert happened or if they had to change to their other shifts.

Bright grabbed his armor, buckled and latched the belts under his stomach and waist. He carried the helmet with his left wing to the break room. Nopony else was there, except for Smoke Bomb; another private like Bright. Bright always hated Smoke, he was arrogant, he would always boast about how is great grandfather was considered a war hero for saving a general from being shot with an arrow in the Batpony and Equestrian war, where the Batponies were at war with the Equestrian army for independence and more land. Sadly that war was one of the very small amount of lost wars for the Equestrian empire. But Smoke seemed to forget that part of the story.

Smoke didn't pay Bright no mind, but instead read his newspaper. Bright sat in a chair from across the room, with nothing to do he just sat there occasionally fiddling with a feather from his wings. He sat like this until Smoke began to speak.

"Hey newbie, decided to come into work today huh? Got nothing else to do with your life right?" He said still keeping his eyes focused to the paper.

"Shut up Smoke! You're as new here as I am!" Bright argued in defense.

"Oh yeah? At least military defense runs in my family! Unlike your pansy cloud kicking ancestors."

Smoke was one of the main reasons why Bright disliked most unicorns.

"Just because your grandfather saved a general in the war doesn't mean you're any better at combat than I am!"

"What ever chatte!"" Smoke went back to reading his paper but mumbled "Je vous jure, un jour vous allez brûler"

Bright glared at Smoke, but didn't say anything. He didn't see the point of starting another argument with Smoke. Besides, what could he do? Smoke's father is CGRG of the Crystal empire, if Bright pushed Smoke too far it would be all over for Bright. He would be out of the job and so much worse. Luckily Smoke has been told that he only has one more year in Canterlot before he's moved to the Crystal Empire's guard patrol, then he'll be their problem.

Bright and Smoke lazed around some more until SgtMaj. Dusky rushed to the small room with a determined face but was still hinted with fear. Both Bright and Smoke quickly stood up and saluted to their leader.

"At ease. We have a sighting of changelings on the edge of the everfree forest. We must go and apprehend them and bring them back here! Understand?" Smoke and Bright saluted once more and quickly followed Dusky out of the locker rooms and quickly flew towards the everfree.

~***~

It didn't take long for Bright, Smoke, and Dusky to get to the everfree, being skilled flyers they were able to fly to the everfree in 1 or two hours to the most. Since it was a changeling situation, they had to get there quickly; ever since the wedding attacks from the changelings they've been outlawed in Equestria and the Crystal Empire. The only two places they could refuge or visit are the smokey mountains to the in the north; land of the dragons and the second land is near the dark woods in the south; which belonged to the Batponies who are still strong allies of the Changelings.

"Okay, Pvt. Bright, I want you to patrol the left side of the forest, Pvt. Bomb, I need you to flank right. I'll go straight down and look for the changelings. Report back here in 20 minutes." Dusky said in a low and serious tone.

"Yes sir!" Both Bright and Smoke said simultaneously while saluting.

Bright went his way and made sure to keep and eye out for changeling whereabouts. Ever since the wedding attack all guards are trained to detect changelings even if they are in disguise. It was easier to detect a changeling in a unicorn disguise since all changeling magic has green aura, they also have a tint of blue in the white of the eyes; but the blue is in the very deep corners of the eyes so it takes a guard to stretch the eye so that the corner of the eye is visible.

Bright kept walking but didn't find a changeling, an animal, just plants and nature. So he took this opportunity to take a peaceful stroll.

~***~

Smoke slowly went down his rout keeping a sharp eye out for the changeling.

"Where are you, you buggy bastards!" Smoke said to himself getting his spear ready for combat. "C'mon, you think I'm scared? Think you could mess with me?" He kept asking himself, he kept walking for a little longer before hearing small rustling from a near by shrub.

The noise alone startled Smoke, he flailed his arms in the air and screamed like a scared filly at a new school. He quickly rushed out of the area, leaving the rustling to be a simple rat. Smoke kept running still flailing his arms and screaming before tripping over a large lump of something. He trembled on the ground when he saw what that lump was.

It was a bruised, cut up changeling with pink wings instead of blue. Smoke thought that this had to be a female changeling, but how? Female changelings never left camps or villages, especially by themselves. So why would this one be out near the forest? But the bigger question was,

is there more?

Smoke could hear Dusky and Bright calling out his name, he could also hear hooves rushing towards him, he quickly glanced back at the injured changeling who was still moaning in pain. This image gave him an idea. An idea that would establish his bravery and get him up higher in the ranks.

He slowly got up with his spear in his hooves, pointed the small blade to the changeling's neck and slowly began to put pressure on the neck. Right when blood began to appear Smoke heard his name again, this time right behind him.

"Pvt. Smoke! Cease your attack!" Smoke turned around to see Dusky and Bright with surprised yet stern faces.

"Oh thank Celestia you two came, uh this changeling scum tried to jump me, but I was able to subdue her with my spear and combat skills, Sir!" Smoke exclaimed to Dusky, his lies were believable enough for Dusky to fall for it. But Bright wasn't convinced, he knew that Smoke wasn't the best during combat tests in the academy, he also knew that Smoke was a conniving liar who got his way with every lie that fell out his mouth.

"Good work Pvt! Are you injured?" Dusky asked getting closer to the changeling on the ground.

"Well, other than this scrape on my leg, I'm fine." Smoke replied, Bright looked at Smoke's scar and knew that the scar he had came from tripping and falling on your hooves. Playground scars he would call them; since when Bright was young he kept tripping and falling at every playground he would go to.

"Yeah, good job Smoke." Bright said sarcastically.

"I'm sorry Bright, I didn't know that were a jealous one. Tell ya what, when I get a medal for bravery I'll let you shine it! While your serving me tea on a silver platter and kissing my hooves." Smoke replied with a sly grin stuck on his face.

"Shut up you pansy I know you didn't take down that changeling! Maybe it was already injured!" Bright exclaimed.

"Both of you shut up!" Dusky shouted still cuffing the changeling's hooves.

"Yes sir!" They both said in response.

"Now, let's report this... Thing to Celestia." This confused Bright and Smoke, whenever a changeling was found they would go directly to the death cells. They would never be reported to Celestia. Then again their last changeling that the guard files have was about two years ago; a month after the wedding attack.

Dusky lifted the injured changeling on his back and they all began to fly back to Canterlot. Dusky was slower however since he was trying to keep balance of the changeling on his back while still flying straightly. Smoke took front position while Bright got behind Dusky, getting a view of the changeling's face. It slowly opened its eyes in pain and sadness. For some reason, this look gave Bright the idea that maybe this changeling was innocent.

But that was impossible! 25% of his academy lessons were about changelings and how to detect them. And the academy didn't give them much of a good name or a representation. They were described as disgusting flying bugs that needed to be exterminated.

But this changeling was more, pure. 'This changeling' Bright thought, 'this changeling is innocent.'

He flew closer to Dusky but was still behind him.

"Uh, Sir? I've been thinking that maybe Smoke didn't apprehend this changeling, maybe this changeling was injured in the first place."

"Okay and?" Dusky replied.

"Well, I think that this changeling is most likely innocent and has done nothing wrong." Dusky slowed down some more and whispered.

"Do you think I don't believe that too? I'm just believing Smoke for now because he has close tie-ins with the princess and she's my only way for becoming CGRG."

"So you're gonna throw an innocent pony on death row because of rank status?" Bright asked.

"Well that's another thing Pvt. It's new protocol that whenever a royal guard of any rank sees or spots a changeling, they must apprehend and turn in that said changeling. Celestia said it herself that changelings were like a-"

"Bug that needed to be exterminated I know, they kept telling me that in the academy. But I honestly think that this changeling did nothing wrong in the first place."

"Well Pvt. I'm sorry to say that you can't just walk away from this like you did with most missions back in the academy. Your last chance to walk home to mama was the day you signed your name on the royal guard sign up sheet." Bright and Dusky stayed silent for the rest of the flight. Every so often, the changeling would look at Bright with eyes asking

'why? Why would you let them do this? Help me please!'

It pained Bright every time. So he would always look away.