• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 3,413 Views, 40 Comments

Changeling or Not - Lord Despair



Sometimes, all it takes to change how a whole country thinks is one man or pony

  • ...
24
 40
 3,413

Plan It Out

Bright hurried his way to the locker rooms to drop off his armor and equipment. On his way he passed the cells Hivie and other criminals waiting on death row stayed in.

As he passed the cells, he eyed all the inmates within each cell. He glared at all the rapists, murderers, and thieves with a stone cold face. But when he reached Hivie’s cell, he glanced at the changeling with a kind and soft face, making her blush.

He chuckled and grinned as he went towards the door that separates the cells from the locker room. Bright, along with Cloudy believed that the design of the cells and buildings were faulty. As organized as they were, it would only take one criminal, one inmate to break out, sneak into the locker rooms, steal some armor and infiltrate the palace.

Bright has time and time again warned the head guards, including SgtMaj. Dusky, who always replied with,

We have the most secure guard system Equestria has to offer. The escapee would need a whole army in order to break outta here.

His warnings weren't payed any mind, nor were they tended to at times. After a while of being ignored, he just stopped with his complaints.

He entered the locker rooms and opened his locker door. As he opened it he began to unbuckle the belts of his armor. He took his helmet off and placed it inside the large metal locker.

The gaze he shared with Hivie was still in his mind however. He couldn't just stand aside and let an innocent creature be executed for being misunderstood.

“Lucky you Bright Justice! Getting a day off, very great for you indeed! I also enjoyed that little performance you played for the Princess back there, very believable. I’m amazed Celestia didn't see right though it though. Turns out she’s not all that bright huh?”

Bright turned his head to see Smoke behind him, the grey Pegasus leaning against a locker.

“What is it Smoke?” Bright asked sounding annoyed.

“Look you! Celestia might be dense enough to not notice your little act, but I’m not! You better watch yourself Bright, or I’ll just have to let SgtMaj. Dusky know that you've been conversing with the Changeling.”

Bright glared at the Pegasus. Wishing that he burnt up in flames right there and then.

“Oh yeah? Well, you say Celestia is dense you don’t really pay attention to the fact that I was under the Changeling’s control. Also, I know you really didn't take down the Changeling, I remember your combat skills in the academy. It was pretty fun to watch really.”

“Shut up you! You better watch yourself or else!” Smoke pointed with a hoof. He chuckled and left the room.

As Bright put his stuff away he heard the door open again, Bright cursed under his breath thinking that it was Smoke again.

He turned around and exclaimed,

“What is it Smoke!?” His face turned into a surprised one when he saw Cloudy instead.

“Whoa Bright, I’m not Smoke. What’s up?”

“Eh, fine. Smoke was in here earlier. He was just being a dickhead. No big deal.” Bright responded.

“Yeah, hey you see that new Changeling in the cells? She keeps giving me the stink eye every time I pass her cell. Kinda creeps me out, like she’s casting a hex or a spell on me.” Cloudy said while taking off his helmet.

Bright began to get closer to Cloudy who noticed this as a whisper encounter.

“Listen Cloudy, this may sound crazy but you gotta believe me. I think the Changeling is innocent.” Cloudy’s eyes widened and his head shot back.

“Uh, Bright, are you sure you’re not under the Changeling’s control?”

“No Dark! I’m not under her control. But listen, I need you to get along with her.” Bright whispered.

“What!? Why?” Bright asked sounding terrified of the idea.

“Well… Because you’re a really big piece in the plan I’m trying to figure out.”

Cloudy slowly backed up from Bright who didn't really notice his subtle movements. With a swift motion, Cloudy grabbed his spear and put the sharp end to Bright’s neck.

“Cloudy, what are you doing?” Bright asked sounding irritated instead of scared.

“Y-You Changeling brute! Where’s the real Bright!? What did you do with him!?”

“Wait, Cloudy- Dammit! Cloudy! I’m me! I’m not a changeling! How could I be the changeling if she’s in the cell right now?”

Cloudy blinked and leaned back still with the spear head to Bright’s neck. Cloudy’s neck craned back to see Hivie sitting on the ground looking like she was carving something in the wall.

“...Good point.” Cloudy pulled back his spear head and put it back down.

“Anyways, Cloudy I was given the rest of the day off and you’ll be taking my shift, and I want you to get along with Hivie. She’s gonna need full trust in you for this to work.”

Bright began to get that unsure look Cloudy was well known for giving.

“Uh… Bright, I really don’t think I want to do that...Sh-She’s a Ch-Changeling. I-I might g-get in trouble and g-get fired o-or w-w-worse!”

“Cloudy! Look at me!” Bright grabbed Cloudy’s shoulders.

“Listen, buddy, I would never put you in a position where you’d get in trouble, or hurt.”

“I’M GONNA GET HURT!!??” Cloudy exclaimed.

“No you’re not gonna get hurt! And keep your voice down, I’m trying to keep this under wraps!”

“B-But Bright, I get real worried around new ponies. She’s not a pony which will make it harder for me. Then her holes in her hooves will set off my Trypophobia, what if she doesn't like me? What if she doesn't speak Equestrian? What if-”

“Woah calm down Cloudy! You won’t get in trouble, she will like you, your trypophobia will be set off but it’ll be nothing major. I promise you Cloudy! I swear on a stack of bibles that you will never get in trouble doing this. Understand?”

With a slow, and unsure nod Cloudy agreed to his friend.

“H-hehe, sometimes I still wonder how we’re friends Bright.” Cloudy responded with his voice cracking a little.

“It’s the eight wonder of the world buddy. Now I’m gonna go home and plan this whole thing out. Tomorrow, meet me at my place and I’ll give you the fill in got it?” Bright asked putting a hoof on Cloudy’s shoulder.

“I guess... “ Cloudy responded. With a pat on the shoulder, Bright left the room and in the distance, Cloudy heard the double iron doors close. Leaving him alone in the locker room.
“Oh mercy…” Cloudy quickly pulled out an inhaler from his locker and quickly puffed it in his mouth.

He left his helmet in the locker room but made sure to bring his spear. Just in case he had to use it.

He walked out the locker rooms and into the cell blocks. He slowly walked towards Hivie’s cell. Approaching it like a foal does to an amusement park mascot. He kept a safe distance from the cells and he began to speak.

“H-Hello… Ch-Change- I mean uh… H-Hivie… H-How a-are you?” Cloudy was shaking vigorously with fear. The metal of his armor was clanging and shuttering as he shook.

“What is it Red One?” Hivie must have said this more sternly than she intended since Cloudy was now on the ground with his hooves put in a prayer position.

“Oh please don’t hurt me Hivie! I promise I won’t annoy you any more! Just don’t hurt me! I bruise easy, I have asthma, don’t break my glasses, I’ll give you anything! I’ll give you my wallet, the deed to my home, my life savings the- H-Hey… Why are you laughing?” Cloudy asked getting up from his begging position.

Hivie was on the ground grabbing at her stomach, and rolling on the ground laughing hysterically. So were the other prisoners in the cell block.

“Pussy!”

“Wimp!”

“Bitch!”

The prisoners called out. Cloudy began to blush as he got back down and hid his face from the prisoners laughs and pointing hooves with his wings and violently began to shake again.

Hivie, taking a breather from her laughing noticed Cloudy’s cowardice and she got close to the bars.

“H-Hey! Red One, why are you scarred? It was just funny is all... Red One?” Hivie sat on her haunches as she watched Cloudy shake in fear with his wings still covering his face.

“When danger is near, just cover up your eyes, ‘cause danger cannot see you when you are in disguise.” Cloudy chanted over and over again. Getting some chuckles out of this act Hivie reached her hoof between the bars to touch Cloudy’s head.

Cloudy jumped up with a little gasp of air, being startled by the sudden touch and Hivie’s hoof.

“Red One… It’s alright, we were just having a little fun is all. You don’t need to be scared.”

Cloudy’s glasses began to fog up so he took them off and rubbed them with a hoof. He placed them back on and began to speak,

“W-Well, I-I don’t usually e-encounter Changelings a-all that much… So I got scared. B-But, why are you acting so kind all of a sudden? D-Don’t you hate ponies?” Cloudy asked with a hint of fear still lingering on his voice.

“Oh yes definitely. But, I heard Bright talking to you about how you need to get to know me better for his little plan to work. I don’t know what it is, but I know it’s good. Because I like Bright. And if that means I have to like you too, then I guess you’re OK Red One.”

Cloudy shyly grinned as he sat on his haunches to face Hivie. He pushed his glasses back up his muzzle as he began to speak.

“P-Please, Hivie. Call me Cloudy.”