• Published 19th Aug 2014
  • 5,943 Views, 61 Comments

Sweet Hearts and Princesses - lollipopchica



Dismayed by the price of royalty, a changeling princess turns her back on her heritage and unintentionally falls in love while trying to build a life for herself.

  • ...
14
 61
 5,943

Chapter 8

The sun was setting as the night was fast approaching. Most of the shops would be closing as the city’s night spots would be opening. Such was the case for one shop owner as she patiently awaited her shop’s closing time as she finished up some last minute orders that would be picked up early the next morning.

Delia watched her patrons with a slight grin on her muzzle. Or at least a particular set of patrons.

The dark mare and the white stallion were at her shop almost every day. Sometimes they stopped for sweets, but most days, despite the constant teasing and exasperation, they just enjoyed the other’s company . Today they brought the stallion’s younger sibling.

It was about time Chrystal found a friendly companion, thought the shop owner as she continued her work behind the counter. For all her efforts of trying to familiarize herself with the unicorn, she found that Chrystal was gifted at redirecting conversation from personal details.

It was nice to see her opening up to somepony.

Chrysalis, Shining Armor and Twilight were waiting at Delia’s Sweet Shop for Cadence. Once the alicorn arrived, the two groups would go their separate ways. Ever since that night by the fire the solider and the renegade princess had become closer.

A development which annoyed Twilight Sparkle immensely. The lavender pony sat between the two with a deep scowl on her maw.

Whereas before it was usually just herself and her brother, Chrystal had somehow managed to worm her way into their circle. The two were always training or something of another. She listened as the duo bantered and snickered at the other’s expense completely ignoring her sulking.

“Cheer up, Twilight,” Chrysalis finally addressed with an eye-roll. “Your pretty pink princess will be here any minute and the two of you can spend the rest of the day doing whatever respectable ladies of Canterlot do.”

Twilight gave the charcoal colored mare a sideways glance that communicated her lack of amusement. “Why can’t you come with me and Cadence to the movies?“ Twilight whined ignoring Chrysalis. Her lavender face was pleading as she stared up at her big brother with wide indigo eyes. Shining Armor raised a brow as he looked to the heaven‘s for advice.

Why couldn’t any of his friends and family get along? “Chryssie and I already made plans for today.” He kindly reminded his sister.

Chrysalis fought the urge to preen at the nickname. Gloating would be overkill as Twilight’s right eye twitched in annoyance every time the stallion said it.

“I thought you said she was smart,” Twilight retaliated with a smug look on her lavender features as she looked over at the older mare. “It doesn’t take that long to learn defense spells.”

“No… but it takes a while to be proficient in them. Besides we’re just hanging out tonight.” He said trying to keep a lid on the situation before it ended how it normally did when the two were in each other‘s vicinity.

“Your brother’s my B.B.F.F… Best Boy Friend Forever… It‘s only natural that we spend exclusive time together.” Chrysalis added sweetly despite the taunting expression on her face.

‘Maker help me,’ the stallion thought as he hoof faced. He knew Twilight was itching to throw something back at the coal colored mare. Just as he peeked up to observe the damage, cerulean eyes widened with relief when he caught sight of his saving grace. “Thank Celestia… Cadence!”

The pink mare giggled as she approached the group. “Hey guys!” Enthusiastic as always, Cadence smiled warmly at the trio before turning her attention solely on Twilight. “Ready to go?” She asked cheerily.

“Let’s!” Twilight brightened considerably as her comeback disintegrated on her tongue.

“What’re you two watching?” Chrysalis asked conversationally.

“Nothing you’d be interested in.” Twilight cut in. “Let’s go Cadence, I don‘t wanna miss it!”

The alicorn shrugged apologetically. “You guys have fun.”

“You too,” Shining Armor said trying to hurry along the goodbyes.

“Bye Princess… Later Sparkles.” Chrysalis called after the lavender filly who promptly ignored her making her snicker. She could feel Shining Armor’s wry gaze prompting her to look in his direction. “What… What?”

“You two are worse than oil and water.” Shining Armor commented as he shook his head.

“If Twilight were nicer, I would be nicer…”

“She‘s actually a really sweet girl…”

“About as sweet as arsenic…”

“I’m sure she’d say the same about you…” he rolled his eyes.

“Is that what you think?” Did those words really just come out of her mouth? And was she really waiting to hear his answer?

“Of course not…”

Harlequin eyes brightened. “If it makes you feel better I promise to make an effort.”

Snow white features were mildly surprised as he gave her a crooked grin. “That’d be nice, but are you sure you‘re up for it?”

Chrysalis rolled her eyes as her face flushed. “Ready to go?”

It was a Friday night and after weeks of trying to get the mare to come out with him and his fellow comrades, the white stallion was finally successful. The duo was supposed to meet up with Justyx, Aero, Taurus and a few other ponies from his squadron at a bar called Butterbeard’s.

At first the mare had refused conscious of the effect she seemed to have on the stallion’s friends. Besides, befriending one pony was enough, she didn‘t need to degrade herself any more than necessary. But, as time passed and her refusal fell on deaf ears, she eventually conceded curious to see how her friend was when he wasn’t being a good little colt.

Plus, tonight marked a big milestone in their training. Yesterday, the mare was finally successful in deploying and holding a shield against a barrage of physical attacks. The two cleaned up their space and left the shop owner with a wave as they headed out.

A couple hours later and a leisure trot across town, the duo had finally reached their destination. She heard the commotion associated with the place long before she saw her destination.

Despite its modest size, Butterbeard’s was crawling with stallions and mares alike looking to have a good time without all the pretense required for some of Canterlot’s other night spots.

“You ready?” Shining Armor asked as they stood outside the bar waiting to go inside.

Chrysalis grinned, “Lead the way, blockhead.”

After making their way inside, Chrysalis couldn’t help but study her newest environment.

Butterbeard’s was a lively pub doused with woodsy finish. Everything about the place was cozy in a way that felt rugged. It seemed out of place in a city as urbane and polished as Canterlot and yet it was right at home. Tables were full of ponies laughing and drinking with each other. Most were military, but there were still a lot of civilian ponies too.

Chrysalis appeared thoughtful as her inquisitive gaze followed the activity in this warm place.

“You like it?” Shining Armor yelled next to her ear so she could hear him over the loudness of the crowd. The warmness of his breath tickled her ear making her shiver just the smallest bit.

Chrysalis nodded as a smirk pulled at the corner of her lips. Before she could vocalize her agreement a waitress walked by with a tray of drinks only for the stallion to magically lift two and pull them to himself.

The waitress, a pink colored mare by the name of Violet, giggled before rolling her eyes. “Watch out for Justyx…” She warned with a smirk. Shining Armor and his crew frequented Butterbeard’s quite often, Violet wasn’t worried about him stealing. “He’s three rounds in already.”

“Thanks for the warning, Vi.”

Chrysalis raised a brow as the stallion passed her a drink.

“Try it,” he urged with a twinkle in his cerulean eyes.

“So you can take advantage of me…” she frowned as she sniffed at the fuchsia colored liquid. Shining Armor gave her a look as his ears flattened in annoyance.

“Trust me,” he said as he raised the drink to his mouth expecting her to do the same. The mare retained her look of skepticism despite mirroring his actions and draining her glass in time with his.

The drink was spicy despite its sweet smell and looks.

“Maker!“ Chrysalis sputtered genuinely surprised by its potency. “What did I just ingest?” She could feel the alcohol’s effects as it coursed through her veins warming her up. The stallion snickered at her response. “C’mon,” he shouted with a grin leading her to where his friends most likely were after tossing their empty cups.

“Yo! Armor!” The duo looked up over to see a tipsy Justyx at a table with another pegasi of similar coloring and a smoky brown earth pony.

After pushing their way over to the table, Shining Armor greeted his comrades with a wide grin and teasing words.

“I see you guys survived another field day with Fairheart. Congratulations.”

Capt. Fairheart was one of the few female pegasi who actually held an officer’s position in the royal military. Despite her name, she was a ruthless authoritative figure who literally used her hooves to whip her charges into shape.

“Don’t remind me…” Aero groaned as he remembered why he hated Fridays so much. Fairheart was not a pony to be trifled with. Unfortunate for him, one of his peers gave the stringent commander a reason to remind them all why.

Chrysalis stared on curiously.

Taurus, the smoky black earth pony, laughed loudly at his friend’s expense. “You missed out Armor… Fairheart had them run evasive drills for at least two hours.”

“Yea.. but that in itself wasn’t so bad…”Aero waved his statement away. ”She’s always tough on us about that.”

“She made Firestar hitman,” Laughed the earth pony. ”And he lit Aero’s ass up!”

“More than usual?”

“Waaayy more than usual. It was so bad Fairheart had to get involved.”

Cerulean eyes widened as Shining Armor cast his friend a pitying glance. Firestar was one of the best artillery specialists in their unit. Especially when it came to offensive magic spells. And unfortunately for everypony else, he knew it. Though Fairheart’s ruthlessness was because she was genuinely concerned for her trainees abilities, Firestar’s ruthlessness was bred of arrogance.

“All because Azalea can‘t keep her stupid mouth shut…”

“The communications mare you took to the movies last week?” The two soldiers both happened to have their eye on the same mare. It was a shame neither knew that the fair mare was a purveyor of drama who liked to watch stallions fight over her.

“The same…Well at least one of us didn’t have to endure that pyromaniac’s presence.” Aero griped nodding towards Justyx, who seemingly started a collection of empty shot glasses. Said pegasi turned his dark eyes onto the mare responsible for his great fortune.

“Thanks a lot,” the dark maned pegasi said sarcastically after taking a long swig of whatever he was drinking. “How’s your shoulder?” He asked directing a sneer at Chrystal. Two different sets of eyes shone with curious anxiousness. Shining Armor just hoof-faced readying himself to intervene.

“How’s your pride?” She cooed with an air kiss. Justyx glared at the dark minx as his face flushed red. “My pride,” he muttered darkly to himself. But to the surprise of everypony at the table, the dark haired pegasus shook his head and chuckled as alcohol helped him find humor in statement.

Taurus snickered. “It really was that bad…”

Shining Armor chuckled at his comrades before signaling a waitress. Happy to have averted at least one argument for the night, he grinned broadly at his group. “Next round is on me!”

250 bits, thirteen drunken dances and six embarrassing stories later, Chrysalis was finally able to save her friend from getting any more plastered.

“I can’t take you home like this…” Chrysalis groaned as she watched Shining Armor stumble around drunkenly. The two had managed to make it out of Butterbeard’s despite the volume of late night traffic.

“Why not?” He asked goofily as she moved to steady him.

“And give your family another reason to hate me? No thanks.” The feel of his body so close to hers made her tense as she found herself wondering what it would be like to have him pressed to her in other ways.

Of course she found Shining Armor attractive, but it never bothered her as much as it did in this moment. Perhaps she’d never paid it mind before, or maybe it was the alcohol running through her own system. Still, she was nowhere near as intoxicated as her friend.
Not to say she hadn’t thoroughly enjoyed herself, because she had. If Shining Armor’s breaking in on her dances or hovering in her general vicinity bothered her, she didn’t act it. If she were honest, she’d say she felt rather complimented.

What was going on tonight?

“They don’t hate you…” he chuckled as the two moved awkwardly together.

“They don’t like me either…” Chrysalis grimaced as she thought of his sister.

Her frowning was cute. “I like you…” Was Shining Armor’s earnest response as he playfully nuzzled his sober companion.

They tripped past a small group of ponies. The streets were abuzz in a low key kind of way.

“You like everyone...” Her reply lacked its usual panache as she hid her blush behind teal hair shyly returning the gesture. “You shouldn’t let Justyx goad you into those drinking games.” She said changing the subject to something that didn’t give her that warm and fuzzy feeling. “It seems you’re quite gifted at losing.” He scowled to which she giggled.

“That’s because Justyx is built like a tank,” he slurred somewhat. And it was true as said pegasus was still functional and drinking back inside.

"And here I thought I was safe with you..." She rolled her eyes as she tried to keep up with the stumbling stallion.

He snorted, "You're no damsel in distress, Chryssie."

"True..." She smirked maliciously to which he chuckled. "I guess I can play hero should any complications arise. Still, I didn't know any one pony could drink so much."

It was in that moment that Shining Armor missed a step causing the two of them to trip, hitting the cobbled street in a tangle of limbs.

Chrysalis’ annoyed groan was met with drunken laughter as she found herself sprawled atop the stallion who rested on his belly.

"We did drink a lot.” Their combined tab spoke volumes. “How drunk do you think I am," he asked with a goofy smile on his face as he shifted beneath her so he was on his side instead.

Chrysalis stared at him with a mix of amusement and exasperation. "Pretty drunk,” was her dry response as she took in their position.

"Good," he said rather seriously.

She wanted to say more, but before she could vocalize her thoughts she felt his hooves on her face and then his lips were on hers.

Chrysalis's eyes widened as Shining Armor's lips molded to hers in a surprisingly soft kiss. Shocked into a stupor, she tasted Shining Armor’s fondness for her as well as the butter rum he’d been drinking. Her cheeks flushed as she felt the pleasant emotion he directed at her.
It was all so sudden and… wonderful. Harlequin eyes fluttered shut as the mare unconsciously relaxed into the kiss consuming the affection he afforded her.

What started as a gentle closemouthed kiss, was now an open mouthed affair as Shining Armor deepened the kiss. He wasn’t really sure how it all ended up this way, but he knew he’d been wanting to kiss the mare for a long time and now that he finally had, he didn‘t want to stop.

When the two were forced to break apart and breathe, Chrysalis was left wanting in spite of the mortification that ran through her veins. What kind of changeling allowed themselves to get this close to a pony? There were irreconcilable differences between the two species and yet she was allowing herself to become genuinely invested in this stallion.

“Nothing to say?” Shining Armor breathed with a grin despite the anxious glint in his cerulean eyes. “That’s a first.”

Chrysalis opened her mouth before closing it again. “Let’s just get you home…” was her nervous reply as she scrambled to her hooves. Sensing that the mood had dissipated he slowly got to his hooves and followed her lead feeling disappointed.

The rest of the trip was made in heavy silence.