• Published 19th Aug 2014
  • 5,937 Views, 61 Comments

Sweet Hearts and Princesses - lollipopchica



Dismayed by the price of royalty, a changeling princess turns her back on her heritage and unintentionally falls in love while trying to build a life for herself.

  • ...
14
 61
 5,937

Chapter 12

Cordeila Snow would rather forget the ordeal she suffered through the last couple of nights, but none of the reporters were looking to let such a tale fall into obscurity. The whole situation felt surreal now that she was in a position to look back on it.

“Get the light, you idiots!” Flint had commanded angrily standing his ground. “There was no way that bitch was going to get the best of him a second time. “Stand up!” He barked to the dark colored mare he’d just struck down. The old mill they used for their exploits was worn yet serviceable. Located on the very edge of town it was close enough to retreat to, yet far enough to be isolated. The lights flickered on as rusty features creaked with movement. “I said- HOLY SHIT!”

A behemoth-like creature with onyx chitin reared up, swallowing the surprised pony in its shadow. Moonlight that streamed in through the mill’s hole ridden roof glinted off fangs the color of snow as reptilian eyes narrowed in on their prey.

“I didn’t sign on for this shit!” Somepony screamed.

The lights flickered off and this time they stayed out.

There was scuffling and shouting as a snarl ripped through the area stilling Cordeila’s wary heart. Her body rose and fell as her breath quickened echoing in her thoughts.

“Flint! Maker, Flint!”

“Fuuck! Oh Maker!”

Twisted flesh lurking in the shadows converged upon the stallions in a blur of movement. The sound of splitting muscle and crunching bone brought terror to the incapacitated mare. Mint colored eyes were unfocused as the carnage unfolded. Part of her was relieved she couldn’t see the mess being made. Cordelia did not fear death at this point but she was wary of this reaper. Her dusty blue coat was stained with dirt and debris. She ached everywhere, but it was nowhere as bad as it could’ve been had the darker mare not antagonized the leader of the group redirecting his attention. Now it seemed something else was looking to maim and destroy.

Behemoths were rare in these parts, but not unheard of.

Otherworldly sounds echoed around her as the others screamed in time with the violence that marked the end of their depraved assaults. The creature rumbled and hissed as it ripped into flesh dragging its struggling prey into the shadows for reasons she didn’t dare fathom.

When it was all said and done, Cordelia had barely been awake.

The last thing she remembered was a velvety voice in her ear whispering that everything would be okay.

*-*1111*-*

The changeling princess stared at her complexion in her bathroom mirror without really seeing.

The mare before her looked tired and her aura reeked of fear. She recognized that at one point in the near past she had been a princess with a cool demeanor and quick wit. Now she was a bleeding heart, twisted over feelings that never should have mattered.

Chrysalis didn’t know what to think of Shining Armor showing up on her doorstep. At the time seeing him had felt like an answer to a prayer she didn’t remember praying. For once it seemed he knew exactly what to say to calm her thoughts.

But now that the sun had lent its light upon the situation, she didn’t know how she would get through the day. She couldn’t stay here anymore. She’d compromised her identity back in those dense woods. One pony was dazed, another severely maimed, and two others were dead. Things like that didn’t ‘just happen.’

Shining Armor’s presence behind her gradually pulled her from her reverie. “Are… you okay?” He asked blue eyes studying her reflection in the mirror.

“I want to visit Cordelia.” She stated with a calm that felt eerie to herself. Turning, Chrysalis moved past him and into her bedroom without waiting for a reply.

“Chryssie, I don’t think that’s-“

She moved around the room easily enough magically sorting through random drawers in search of anything that didn’t require her to make eye contact with the stallion. “I didn’t need you to save me then and I don’t need you telling me what to do now.” Her voice was cold.

“Stop it!” He ground out with stormy eyes planting himself directly in front of her. Harlequin eyes widened as she unconsciously took a step back halting in her distraction. Last night’s assault was still fresh in her memory. “Stop it! Cordelia is being taken care of! You need to worry about yourself now.” His tone softened as he gently pleaded with the stubborn mare. “Let me take care of you… Chryssie… please.” He had been upset the day before when he came to her, but so had she and he didn’t think he’d be forgetting it anytime soon. Even now she seemed dazed and it concerned him.

“No…” She managed as he slowly advanced towards her in what was supposed to be a placatory gesture.

“Chrystal,” he tried again with deep concern.

“No!” There was panic in her voice that she hadn’t meant to slip through.

Shining Armor had her blocked against the wall as she began to thrash about fighting his presence. “You don’t understand! The things they did- were going to do! They deserved every bit of it and I’m not sorry! I may be selfish- and you- you might think I’m evil… but I’m not like that!” She cried out with angry tears in her eyes. “I’m not like that!” She’d seen true evil and it haunted her.

“I know you’re not!” Shining Armor countered as she was beginning to tire herself out. “I’m sorry for treating you like that.” He murmured as her struggling ceased as she eyed him tiredly. “You… you didn’t deserve that.”

“I may think your sister is an obstinate arrogant brat, but I’d never hurt her… I’d never hurt you like that…”

“I know…” He covered her face in butterfly kisses as he apologized over and over for his stupidity. “I’m sorry.”

“Shining… I-“ There was more. She wanted so desperately to tell him but somehow the words got trapped in her throat. Cerulean eyes dimmed as a grave reality settled upon him.

“I… ki-“

“You took care of Cordelia and that’s all I need to know.” The scene that told tales of the crimes committed was unlike anything ponies had seen in a long time.

“But-“

He firmly shushed her before she said anything that he would be obligated to use against her later. “You stayed with her the entire time.”

“I… I…”

“Say it!” Cerulean eyes were deathly serious as he pressed her trembling frame closer against the wall roughly cradling her face.

For once the doe eyed expression on dark colored features was completely genuine. “I… stayed… with her…” Her tongue tripped over the words.

“The entire time.”

Chrysalis repeated the words back to him in a shaky tone that matched her state of mind.

“Good girl,” He breathed before pressing a kiss to her mouth. “Good girl.”

*-1111-*

At a port in Manehatten a chestnut colored pony with dark eyes and mane stepped off a ship with a solemn expression on her face. Her objective was simple: Find whoever didn’t fit in and give them incentive to leave behind their guise.

‘Be creative,’ her ‘employer’ had said. ‘She won’t leave for just anything. It’s okay to get nasty. She’s a defector now… not your Princess.”

Odonata had come to collect herself a runaway princess.

*-1111-*

Later that night Chrysalis and Shining Armor were drifting off in sleep in the mare’s room.

“Shining…” She whimpered lowly as she tossed in her sleep.

The stallion frowned as he heard the fear in her murmurings. Ever since that night, her dreams had gotten worse if possible.

Unfortunate for Chrysalis reporters were still lurking about looking to get her version of events after her name was dropped at the soldier’s duty station. She never got a chance to see Cordelia at the hospital who was only able to give a vague statement anyway. The mare refused to leave the house in fear of being harassed. It seemed rational so the stallion didn’t question it.

Shining Armor slid closer to her shaking form as he laid his head atop hers in a comforting gesture spooning her body.

“I’m here for you now, Chryssie.” The change in her body was instant as she pressed closer into his solid frame sighing at the warmth and security he offered her.

“Shining…” The way she spoke his name this time was nothing short of tender. He felt his heart shudder in something he knew had been coming since the first night he kissed her.

“Chrystal…”

“… needed you.” She breathed unconsciously.

He buried his face in her light colored hair as his heart thundered in his chest.

“I’m right here,” Shining Armor whispered causing a small smile to appear for the slumbering mare. “And I’m not going anywhere.”