• Published 19th Aug 2014
  • 5,943 Views, 61 Comments

Sweet Hearts and Princesses - lollipopchica



Dismayed by the price of royalty, a changeling princess turns her back on her heritage and unintentionally falls in love while trying to build a life for herself.

  • ...
14
 61
 5,943

Chapter 4

"You're late," Chrysalis said with a disappointed expression on her dark features. It had been four days since she had been discharged from the clinic. True to his word, Shining Armor had stopped by every day for about an hour or two, twice a day to check on the mare, administer medicine and change bandages.

The first time he came calling, Chrysalis refused to let him in until Madame Brass threatened to raise her rent for all the headache and worry she put her through. The next day he visited, he came prepared with sweets to bribe her with. Again, the mare had ignored him until he made mention of what it was he had boxed and waiting for her. After that, she grudgingly accepted his presence despite being annoyed with the situation.

Shining Armor smirked as he regarded the slender mare in front of him. "I thought you didn't like me around and that I was a sexist pig who didn't know how to treat a lady."

She rolled her eyes before allowing a wry grin to grace her features, "What can I say, I'm a sucker for sweets."

"So I'm not a sexist pig?" was his hopeful reply.

"You still are. You just happen to be a sexist pig who has good taste in desserts." She couldn't help but laugh at the childish pout he displayed after finding out she really was just looking forward to his gifts.

"I'm not that bad…."

"Get in here!" She relented yanking him forward into her apartment before Madame Brass realized he'd arrived. The widow she rented from happened to be an aggressive flirt, a development she discovered at the expense of Shining Armor. Regardless of how much the stallion annoyed her, he didn't deserve Madame Brass. "You're irritatingly noble, and my landlady just loves it.

"Thanks," he brightened.

"It wasn't a compliment," she informed to which he faltered. "I haven't been able to move around as much, so these house calls are much appreciated."

"…"

"That one was genuine. So what did you bring me?" She asked plopping down at her kitchen bar. Tuesday he brought her strawberries dipped in dark chocolate. Wednesday it was red velvet cake and yesterday she dined on pumpkin cheesecake. She couldn't wait to see what he brought today.

"Devil's food cake…" He said presenting her treat with all the flourish of a royal chef.

"Sounds naughty…" She winked at him before turning her attention to the sinfully decadent treat. After dragging the tip of her hoof across the cake, she took the hoof in her mouth moaning as the richness of the cake assaulted her taste buds. "Taste like it's bad for you too… Wanna lick?" she teased turning her gaze back onto him as she held out a sample.

"No thanks," he murmured coolly despite the blush that stained his cheeks as he watched the display. "I'd rather you enjoy it." Harlequin eyes narrowed ever so slightly.

"I knew it!" She hissed triumphantly. "You are the pony who brought me that pie at Delia's.

His shrug was noncommittal despite the lazy grin on his maw. The first time Shining Armor saw Crystal Emerald, he had been intrigued. She didn't look like anypony he knew, nor did she carry herself the same. She was smart and independent to a fault. Sure, she could be rude, but the stallion didn't mind much.

"So why are you really helping me?" She questioned after cleaning her hoof again with her tongue.

"Must you question everything?" Was his pointed reply as he rested his chin on a hoof.

"If it seems questionable, why shouldn't I?"

"Well, your majesty, there's nothing for you to doubt. I'm a good guy, remember? It's what I'm supposed to do."

"That or you're a stalker." The stallion gave her a look. "Besides I don't remember chauvinism being a requirement of the modern day hero." Chrysalis said as she rolled her eyes. "There's something you're not saying…" His guilt left a salty impression on her senses. At first, she wasn't going to mention the emotion she picked up on, but the more time the two spent together, the worst it got. The changeling mare stared at him expectantly.

"…"

"Well…"

"I was the one who knocked you out," Shining Armor confessed after a while.

Harlequin eyes blinked in confusion as his words sunk in. "What?" She repeated not fully comprehending what he was telling her.

"My specialty is defense spells."

"Defense spells?"

"Magical shields."

"So…"

"So when I heard you barreling down the street that night I didn't know what to expect and I conjured a shield. You plowed into it and knocked yourself out." Shining Armor watched as Chrystal took in his confession. At first, she was confused, then she was outraged. Just when he thought he was in for the tongue-lashing of his life, she burst into laughter.

"You ponies…. And your callings… I bet you believe in the Illuminati too. I mean how could your parents possibly know that? Shining Amor… What a joke!"

He scowled at the laughing mare. "I'm so glad you find this all amusing. I mean I only concussed you."

Chrysalis sobered with a giggle. "Don't be so hard on yourself… I can teach you the proper way to handle a mare." His relief was minimal as she wriggled her eyebrows suggestively. "But there's something else, isn't there?" She prompted giving him her undivided attention.

The change in the air was immediate. "I know that those three stallions attacked you… and I hate that there's nothing I can do to vindicate this for you." She narrowed her eyes at the words as the familiar fire of disappointment burned in her gut.

"Are you sure there was nothing you can do?"

He shook his head as he dropped his cerulean gaze down to the counter that sat between them. "No… it would've been your word against theirs and there were no witnesses… You didn't even give me the full story." He brought his gaze back up to her with his own bout of anger, snow ears twitching. "Why didn't you say anything?"

The coal colored mare leaned back, surprised by the intensity of his emotion. Despite the name calling and her individualist antics, there was still a bond between the two. Shining Armor was something like a friend to her, a revelation that bothered her. "I didn't think you would believe me… It was my own fault," she relented as her eyes darkened. She had been too cocky- a mistake she would not make again.

"How was that your fault?" He asked incredulously.

"I didn't take them serious enough…" She snickered bitterly at her own expense. "But you'll help me with that, won't you?" Doe-like eyes stared at him pleadingly.

"W-what?" Innocence was not something Shining Armor associated with the charcoal colored mare before him, but in this moment she looked like a pleading damsel. "How?"

"You'll show me how to perform one of your defense spells. Let me train with you?"

"You want to… train with me? I don't know…" He trailed unsurely. Not that he had anything against mares, but Chrystal didn't seem like the type to filthy up her hooves. She was a bit high maintenance despite her modest way of living.

"You owe me," she reminded as she leaned forward never breaking eye contact.

It was a long time before the guard stallion said anything as he searched her earnest features. "You're serious?"

"You're the only one that can help me, Shining Armor."

How could he say no to that? Shining Armor sighed before reluctantly acquiescing to her request.

A giant grin broke out on her maw and the white stallion frowned. Did she just… "So about these bandages… they come off today, right?"