• Published 19th Aug 2014
  • 5,943 Views, 61 Comments

Sweet Hearts and Princesses - lollipopchica



Dismayed by the price of royalty, a changeling princess turns her back on her heritage and unintentionally falls in love while trying to build a life for herself.

  • ...
14
 61
 5,943

Chapter 5

Madame Brass stared into her vanity mirror with a sigh.

Equine features scrunched at will as the older mare studied her expression with intensity.

Though she wasn't as young as she used to be, she still took great pride in her looks.

She groaned as she pulled at her face, playing up the fine lines that plagued her. "Another wrinkle," she tisked with firm disapproval. Halting in her vanity, she attached a writing device to her hoof and scribbled a note to herself as she thought of her free slave labor upstairs.

'Chrystal isn't nearly as reliable as she used to be,' thought the turquoise colored mare. 'But she'll have to do." Ever since that handsome stallion started showing up her boarder had become decidedly more … approachable. Still impatient, sarcastic, and subject to acrimonious fits of brooding, but definitely more sociable. However none of this seemed to work in Brass' favor as Chrystal had become less available.

The younger mare had always been absent certain nights of the week to do Celestia knows what, but lately she'd been returning home at a more decent time.

Speaking of said mare, she could hear the duo trouncing down the stairs.

"You said you'd teach me!" She heard the mare complaining.

"Yeah... but I don't understand why we have to do it the day of your cleared health." Was Shining Armor's somewhat exasperated reply. "Tomorrow," he promised in what Brass assumed to be a placatory tone.

"That's what you said yesterday," Was Chrystal's smart reply.

"Tomorrow for sure."

Brass could feel another migraine coming on.

"You're stalling…."

*QUIERO***TU***AMOR*

Odonata stood outside Imaga's chambers staring up at the large doors with as much neutrality as she was able. The changeling guard, who stood off to the side of the great doors, valiantly stared forward despite the inhuman sounds that escaped the locked room.

The changeling male behind her shook as he unconsciously leaned away from the foreboding air before him. It was almost commonplace now. A thought that made the healer frown as this practice should never be part of the monotony.

The voices that came from behind those great doors were enough to make anypony shiver in dread. Only the noble class changelings truly knew that their ruler was unwell. The rest of the changeling populace was, for the most part, blissfully unaware.

No pony knew what to expect from the queen. And not because of anything that she'd done or said. It was more because of things she let slip through the hive mind and the changelings they no longer saw. Despite their ignorance, the populace was still abuzz over the large addition to the noble class.

Behind those polished obsidian doors, Imaga stood with a frown on her muzzle as she stared at the husk of another of her children. The transference ritual that helped keep her in control of herself was losing its potency. With every use, its effectiveness decreased.

It had been about eight months since the disappearance of her flesh. Eight months filled with uncertainty and fear. Within the first four months, she'd only had to use the ritual monthly, but now she needed to use it twice a week.

Every day it seemed she grew worse and worse. She'd even transferred some of her responsibilities to her higher-ranking nobles as she could not trust herself to act in the hive's best interest. Imaga wasn't really sure of who she was anymore and that was what was truly frightening to her.

Her mother, Cerci, had been a vain ruler. Not bad, just aggressive with her ambitions in regards to the greatness of their race. Ideas that she'd have never considered in the past were beginning to take root in her mind. Every day it was harder to distinguish between her own thoughts and those imprinted on her magic from past queens.

Imaga hated what she had to do to sustain herself. They were still her children though she had not birthed them. To provide for what she loved she had to consume it just the same. The very nature of the ritual was paradoxical in a way that made her sick.

Why was her Chrysalis such a difficult one? How could she be so selfish?

But was it selfish to love somepony? Imaga didn't think so… She wished her flesh did not have to learn this lesson. She wished she'd come home.

"Odonata," She called softly. "Send in the next one."

The burden of the Queen was the gift of the hive.

*QUIERO***TU***AMOR*

Today, Shining Armor would officially start teaching her defense spells.

It took a few days till the stallion was comfortable with letting the mare do anything as strenuous as combat training, but eventually he conceded to her request after Rosemary had given her a clean bill of health. A thought that only annoyed said mare no matter how thoughtful a gesture it was.

Most of the spells Chrysalis knew were for mental suggestions, illusions or the enhancement of other abilities. She knew some teleportation spells, as well as a few offensive ones, but nothing really defense worthy.

"What are we doing again?" Chrysalis asked as she moved beside her cerulean-maned companion. The two were trotting down the cobbled streets of Canterlot as they casually observed the mundane activity around them. The sun still shined brightly over the city despite late afternoon approaching.

"Well…" he drawled as he waved at a few shop owners. "First, I have to pick up my sister. After I take her home, we'll go and meet my friend at the castle training grounds."

Chrysalis nodded as she thought of the purple colored filly she remembered seeing him with. She didn't have to be a changeling to know how deeply he cared for the young pony. It was in his face and tone. "You must be really close," she mused thoughtfully, eyes downcast. "With your sister, I mean." Despite their need to steal love, changelings were not outwardly affectionate towards one another. A fact that could be attributed to the intricate bonds they already shared with each other.

He grinned absently as he glanced her way. "Yeah… Twilight's the best. A bit on the anti-social side, but I think she's just shy more than anything else. Do you have any brothers or sisters?"

Harlequin eyes widened as she missed a step. "What?" She coughed catching herself. "What a silly question…"

Shining Armor gave her an odd look as they were passing one of the city's parks playgrounds. Twilight's school wasn't too far away now. "No it's not… I mean, you either have them or you don't." He watched as a pensive expression came over her dark face. "It's really not that hard, Chrystal…"

"Shut up," she grumbled. "I'm thinking how best to put it in blockhead terms." She ignored his look of offense as she seriously pondered his inquiry. The question of brothers and sisters truly was a simple one but because her mother was every changeling's mother in a magical sense she really wasn't sure about what to tell him. Back home there were thousands upon thousands of changelings- but did that make them all her siblings?

Changelings gave birth the same way other ponies did, only their babies were stillborn and required the magic of their queen to draw breath. In all honesty, changeling royalty were magic marvels as they were not conceived by biological means at all. "Let's just say I come from a really big family."

"If it makes you uncomfortable, you don't have to answer." Shining Armor sighed as they neared his sister's school. He really should not have been surprised as the dark colored unicorn didn't like to share information about herself. Still, he had hoped they could be friends. The sound of childish laughter and paternal praise reached his ears as parents were picking up their foals. He kept his discontent to himself as the school was a couple of yards ahead.

Chrysalis slowed her pace as she gave Shining Armor a sideways glance. The taste of his disappointment was oddly disappointing to her. Before she could pick apart why it was so discomforting to her, she found herself explaining to him what she meant.

"It's not that…" Chrysalis pulled ahead and blocked his path. "I mean technically I'm an only child it's just where I come from we're all raised in a collective manner. Everypony knows everypony and we all work together to take care of each other… So no, I have no biological brothers or sisters but I might as well." Since when did she genuinely consider a pony's feelings? And why was she telling him this? Perhaps the lack of social interaction was beginning to take its toll.

Shining Armor smiled at the confounded expression on Chrystal's normally confident features. It wasn't often, if at all, that he saw her off kilter. It was even more satisfying for him to think that maybe she was beginning to warm up to him.

"Was that so hard?" He teased with a playful nudge pushing her forward. Chrysalis pursed her lips as she allowed the action. A few seconds later, the duo paused outside the city's primary school watching other foals interact until the last class was released.

Their wait was almost nonexistent, as a few moments later a group of about 15 to 20 foals filed out of the building with their teachers expelling 'goodbyes.'

"Twilight! Twilight!" Purple ears twitched at the sound of her name being called.

"Yes?" Came the prim tone of Twilight Sparkle as she stopped her trot out of the school building to turn around.

"Are you coming to Tulip's birthday party this weekend?" Asked a blue cotton candy colored pony by the name of Victory Bell. She stopped atop the school steps.

"No…"

"Weren't you invited?" Victory's pink eyes belied her confusion. "She invited the whole class…"

"I know. I'm just not coming."

"Why not?" Now the pony really was confused.

"I don't want to. Besides, my brother brought me a book about transfiguration spells and I'm going to spend the weekend studying it. Doesn't that sound better than some run-of-the-mill birthday party?" The purple filly gushed with wide eyes.

Chrysalis gave the stallion a blank look as they listened in on the interaction. "Transfiguration spells?" He shook his head before hoof-facing. "You're sister isn't shy… she's socially retar-"

"What?" Victory Bell gave her a look of incredulity. "No! Honestly Twilight… Sometimes I wonder about you. You'd pick a book about trans… figure-"

"Transfigurations," Twilight supplied helpfully.

"That- over friends?"

"It's really not much of a choice." Replied the purple filly in a matter of fact tone. "The only friend I need is my B.B.B.F.F."

"B…B…B.F.F?"

"My Big Brother Best Friend Forever."

Victory Bell wanted to say more, but instead just shook her head. Pink eyes squinted as she focused on something just over the purple filly's shoulder.

"What? What is it?" Twilight turned to see her B.B.B.F.F locked in conversation with a dark mare.

"Looks like he doesn't feel the same way." Victory observed as the two watched the older ponies interact.

Shining Armor glared at the coal colored mare who was open with her laughter. Passing ponies were giving them looks. "What?"

"It's not funny…"

"Are you sure, because I found the whole thing rather hilarious."

"Chrystal…" He groaned with an eye roll.

"Would you rather me laugh behind your back?"

"No… but in my face is just as bad."

She honestly did not mean to offend him. It really was one of the oddest things she had ever seen and she'd seen some odd things in her short lifetime. The Changeling Princess put on her best sympathetic face as she stifled her laughter. "She's…" Chrysalis searched for a word to pacify the expectant stallion. "She's… eccentric. And… ambitious. Definitely studious. Smart- very smart."

Twilight narrowed her indigo colored eyes as she watched her brother's disposition soften towards the duplicitous mare before him.

"Twilight," came Victory's alarmed voice. "What're you doing?"

The purple filly was marching determinedly towards the duo brushing past other ponies milling about. "Finding out who my brother's new friend is," was her firm reply to the stationary filly.

*QUIERO***TU***AMOR*

After he had introduced his sister to Chrystal, Shining Armor had noticed a serious change in the air. His sister was being uncharacteristically antagonistic as she wedged herself between the two on the way home. Normally, he would stop Twilight by the library or take her to the ice cream shop, but today he had plans and told her as much.

"Is it because of her?" Twilight had asked, boldly giving the coal colored mare a once over. Chrysalis could taste the purple filly's abhorrence for her and as offensive as it could be, she instead chose to relish in it giving their smallest companion a wink and an air kiss. Indigo eyes widened before narrowing.

"Uh… yeah," Shining Armor laughed nervously as he gave his sister an odd look. "This is the mare I've been checking in on. She's going to train with Justyx and me this afternoon."

"You don't look like a military pony," Twilight observed smartly about the slender mare.

"I'm not… I can do anything a stallion can do- Only I'll do it better. A woman's touch and all."

Twilight blinked as she accepted the mare's answer. Perhaps she was not as frivolous as she originally thought. She still didn't trust or like her for that matter.

Shining Armor couldn't help but roll his eyes at the mare despite the grin on his face.

Unfortunately, the rest of his family was much the same- they just happened to be more discreet than their daughter was.

When the trio made it to Shining Armor's place of residence, his parents painted pleasant expressions on their faces despite the disapproval they felt for their newest visitor.

The home she was semi-welcomed into was comfortably conventional. It was much more lavish than her humble abode, but not obscenely extravagant.

It wasn't until their foal sitter arrived that she understood why the entire household, minus one, regarded her in such a fashion.

Cadenza Mi Amore was an Equestrian princess with a coat the color of cerise and a mane of rose, gold and violet. She was beautiful just as a princess should be. Everything about her was sweet and refined. Just the kind of mare parents dreamed their colts would bring home.

"Hello, everypony!" Came her carefree tone as she poked her pretty face through the front door. Chrysalis watched as the sour look that had been etched into Twilight's face wilted into oblivion when she heard the voice of her foal sitter. Lavender ears perked up as a genuine smile that rivaled Celestia's sun blossomed upon herfeatures.

"Cadance!" She flew past everypony else to greet the Equestrian princess.

Moments later Cadance walked into the kitchen with Twilight happily sprawled atop her back. Chrysalis leaned against the kitchen counter as she took in the whole scene with an air of aloofness that would make her mother proud.

"Oh, hey Cadance." The stallion gave her a friendly smile.

"Shining Armor," the Equestrian princess gave him a bashful smile before greeting her charge's parents." Hello!"

Chrysalis tilted her head as she studied the beautiful mare. The Princess was fond of the guardsman in a way that was not platonic. Interesting, she thought. She wagered he hadn't even noticed. She'd only known Shining Armor for a couple of weeks and already she could tell he was a bit clueless when it came to the opposite sex.

"Princess!"

Even the parents were projecting their excitement as they watched their daughter and son interact with the princess.

It seemed Shining Armor's parents knew exactly what they wanted for their son. Chrysalis wondered if they'd stare upon her with the same expression if they knew she was a princess too. Probably not, a thought that made her smirk despite the bitterness that washed over her.

Could she still call herself a princess?

She didn't want to think on it more than she had to.

Annoyed by her own line of thinking, the Changeling Princess politely made her presence known as she moved closer to the stallion she had accompanied. She could feel him stiffen as she brushed her lean body against his, grazing her teeth across the tip of his ear as she nipped him.

Chatter slowed as all eyes turned to the dark mare who was now whispering in the stallion's ear.

Mentally sniggering at everypony's response, Chrysalis pulled away to give him a coy smile. "I'll be waiting outside, okay." She could feel the matriarch of the house staring daggers into her. She'd bet Twilight's expression was near the same.

Shining Armor nodded dumbly as Chrystal gave an uncharacteristically cheerful smile and said her goodbyes. "Nice meeting you all!" Everypony watched the coal colored mare confidently saunter out the kitchen.

Making her way out of the house she sat on the steps inspecting her hoof with a look of boredom.

A few minutes later Shining Armor emerged from his home with a sour look on his face. "Did you really have to do that?" He complained to the mare seated comfortably on the steps.

Chrysalis smirked up at him with a mischievous glint in her eyes. "What can I say, I hate being ignored."

"About earlier…" He began with an unsure expression on his snow colored face. "Twilight's normally not like that…" Shining Armor apologized as he scratched the back of his head. "I honestly don't know what happened."

Chrysalis gave him a look as she rose to stand on all fours. Insecurity was a natural response for those who felt threatened. It was also one hell of a motivator but she digressed. "Did anypony ever tell you how refreshing your naiveté is?"

Shining Armor rolled his eyes.