• Published 19th Aug 2014
  • 5,938 Views, 61 Comments

Sweet Hearts and Princesses - lollipopchica



Dismayed by the price of royalty, a changeling princess turns her back on her heritage and unintentionally falls in love while trying to build a life for herself.

  • ...
14
 61
 5,938

Chapter 13

In a Manehattan news office….

“Thanks Hawkeye,” smiled a sweet mare by the name of Delilah. The fair colored stallion had just transported a box full of the past year’s periodicals. Hawkeye flushed under the pretty mare’s gaze before stuttering out the appropriate response.

“You're-you're welcome.”

“I can take it from here,” Delilah grinned at the nervous pony.

With a laugh and a scratch to the back of head, Hawkeye stumbled off to leave his colleague with some privacy shutting the door behind him.

The Daily Bugle was known for its coverage of other Equestrian cities. Its newspaper was the most known in Equestria. They reported on everything everywhere.

Delilah was new to the team as well as the area. After a long meeting with the paper’s editor Jonah J., he, to the surprise of his employees, allowed her an internship position with the paper’s correspondence team.

When she was sure no pony would come trouncing into her temporary office for whatever reason, ‘Delilah’ dropped her expression of innocence as a more grave look took over her features.

With a desk full of old papers and maps tacked to the wall, the pony called Delilah scoured through the papers looking for anything unusual that had happened within the last year or so.

She sighed as her dark eyes flashed an electric blue. She couldn’t believe it’d been a year since that fateful day in the Queen’s chamber room.

The map on the wall was full of color coded tacks and markings that communicated where she’d searched, visited, or investigated. When she first arrived to the Manehattan she found out all she could about the Equestrian continent. It was the perfect place for a runaway to hide. The country itself was huge and its population of ponies was the most in the entire world.

Unfazed by her assignment, she had her own way of investigating the location of her monarch’s daughter.

Besides the usual crime and conspiracies, nothing truly odd was amidst. Odonata had a feeling that whatever she was looking for would be farther inland anyway. While these cities were large they were hardly isolated. If anything were to arise here it would not go unnoticed.

Luckily for the healer, changelings could recognize their own. Even though, they had to be in close proximity of each other. She’d been to a couple places within these last two weeks and she was certain the changeling Princess was closer to the heart of Equestria.

Just as Odonata was about to call it quits with the newspapers Hawkeye had brought her, her foreleg accidentally knocked over another stack of papers. She huffed as she moved to clean up the mess.

When she reached the last few articles strewn about, her breath caught as an article of particular interest caught her eye.

“Dead marefriend haunts killer…” She read aloud. “Local colt confesses to bludgeoning his longtime marefriend to death in an argument gone awry after seeing her alive and well in town. Coal Ember admitted that he had killed and dumped the body months ago. After authorities confirmed the whereabouts of the remains, they concluded the body had been in an obvious state of decomposition at least six months old. Locals wonder about the mare they thought was Ivy May…”

Murder victims didn’t magically resurrect themselves last Odonata checked. Maybe the good pony folk of Ponyville could explain how this one did.
.

*-*1111*-*

"When are you going back home?” Came Chrysalis’ low tone when she felt Shining Armor settle down beside her.

It was a quarter past 3 a.m. and the stallion had stumbled in from guard duty not too long ago. After taking a shower, he dried himself off and returned to the living room plopping down beside her. The smell of fresh linen had alerted her to his presence. “Your sister’s probably cursing my existence." She breathed as his body pressed into her side offering warmth and security.

The two were resting in front of the fire place now pressed together side by side. The last two weeks had been rough on the duo.

Shining Armor was caught between doing his job, and protecting his marefriend. If he wasn’t running interference to keep Chrystal calm then he was making excuses to his family about why he was always gone. It was hard but he was determined to see her through this mess he felt he had inadvertently caused.

"This isn’t my house?" he joked pressing playful kisses against her neck.

She grinned sleepily as she enjoyed the affection. "No blockhead it isn’t."

"My mistake....My parents think I’m working extra details," he added as an afterthought. His guilt was his only regret.

Chrysalis hummed. "Well maybe this can be your home away from home." Her tone was light but he felt the seriousness of her words. “You’re more than old enough.” She wanted him with her.

Shining Armor nudged her over on her side as he hovered above her to study her features. Chrysalis stared up at him from under long lashes. Sometimes she was all frost and attitude, but moments when it was just the two of them she was heart and fire and he cherished it like a dying man's last words.

“Chryssie...”

She grinned softly as she took in his boyish features. Tracing his face with her eyes, "you make me feel so protected." She kissed his nose. “I didn’t even think I needed protecting, but you... You do that for me.” The last few weeks were something out of a nightmare but Shining Armor had been there and it had made all the difference. Many a night she contemplated disappearing and starting over someplace else but he always showed up to push the fear and doubt away.

She didn’t expect him to say anything and like always he exceeded her expectations. “I love you...”

Chrysalis closed her eyes as his sentiment washed over her. She pressed a kiss to the inside of his foreleg. “I know,” she murmured as her heart shuddered and she returned his gaze. She knew the moment he showed up at her door that whatever was between them was going to stain some part of her, she hated how right she was. “I feel the same way about you.”

“Then say it,” was Shining Armor’s soft command.

“I'll prove it- a woman’s touch and all…” She pulled him down atop her before greeting his mouth with a sweet caress of lips.

Author's Note:

So apparently the world of MLP has its own share of whackos in my mind. Blame my mom and sisters cause I promise all we watch is Law and Order: SVU... Ugh! It's so addicting! But just to show how aware I am of the world around me I try to keep it 'PG.'

You can fill in the blanks yourself about what Cordelia and Chrysalis went through in the hooves of Flint and his crew...

But on a serious note, this is all for now, and I'll hit you guys with the rest as soon as it's written. I'm actually on a right tight deadline for this so hopefully it'll be soon!

Be easy and speak your piece!

-Lollipopchica