• Published 15th Apr 2012
  • 7,196 Views, 291 Comments

Crashed and Burned in Equestria - Gaz1997



Matrix, a young captain and pilot in the British royal air force who has been through so much goes flying for the last time on earth before ending on the brink of death and entering a new world only a sought few believe to exist

  • ...
28
 291
 7,196

crashed and burned on the first one, wasn't pretty! re-write complete


Hey there, let me introduce you to myself, my name is.................wait…………actually that's not important at this moment in time so for now just call me matrix, why? because it’s my call-sign, what’s a call-sign, well you see it kind of like a nickname because I’m a pilot specifically in a top ace squadron in the British royal air force, I’m probably one of the youngest pilots in the RAF today being only eighteen and all that, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest, I have many hobbies and talents besides flying in general.

music, one of my Favorite things, I can play very well on and acoustic or electric guitar, decently on drums, a fair bit on a piano and I can hold my own on a microphone as well as some small experience with electronic music

As well as music in a bit of an artist drawing the odd cartoon or landscape here and there but I’m no Picasso.

There’s just one hobby that most people wouldn't associate with me at all

My little pony friendship is magic

how I got into this show was a complete mystery to me, but I didn't care, in my honest opinion if thinks it very well done for a cartoon made for little girls/family, I like it because it's a very well made and thought out show, the animation is well drawn out much better than other shows I've seen in my earlier childhood, the characters are very likable as well and the morale's and comedy that's thrown in there are very humorous, most other 'Bronies' would agree with me here.

Bronies, that what we call ourselves the ‘unexpected’ male fans of the show, and I have to admit I am one to, but like most bronies sometimes it’s a little too hard to say out loud you are one, so I mainly kept it to myself, making me a closet brony, well I was until I got busted watching an episode on my laptop in the airfield's barracks, yes I got teased by the other pilot's, getting to odd comment here or two, but at least I 'had' my own squadron who didn't treat me like crap.

but today was just like any other day, boring, depressing, being me at the current moment was the best thing, around four months ago I had just come back from my deployment into Iraq and Afghanistan, some top secret mission, in other words it was a simple torch and burn op, destroy this supply train convoy that was heading for this splinter group of Al-Qaeda, Intel we had for the mission seemed pretty solid, train was supposed to be only escorted by technical s with machine that wouldn't do hell against a supersonic jet and not air enemy air cover, but nothing always goes to plan, turns out our Intel was complete bull and they did have air cover, they outnumbered all four of us three to one, all three didn't make it

but I did, now I’m stuck with the burden of keeping their memories going, and with the painful nightmares and depression of losing my only remaining people that I could friend's or even family for that matter.

Any way’s that was all four months ago and now I’m trying to move on

today was like any other day for me the past four months, sit around in the barracks on my laptop or iPod, practice flight time on the simulator or sit and watch ponies, MLP had helped me the past coming months but no so much it get me out of the state I had managed to put myself in. currently I’m sitting on the sofa in the lounge room playing a guitar that the other pilots play on when they have nothing better to do, I played a simple tune but I always ended up playing some sad melody which did nothing to help improve my mood, I peeked up from the guitar strings and gazed out the window

it wasn't particularly sunny and only a small hint of drizzle but the weather conditions were alright for a flight session, I didn’t feel like doing any exercise my body I already toned enough just from the initial training, I sighed a depressed sigh as I set the old acoustic next to the damp furniture and made my way to the locker room , to get changed, walking down the hallway and making a left turn then through a single door in a room that would look similar to a swimming pools changing room, it was empty , since I was one of the very few that actually live on the base, I walked up to my own locker with my call-sign nameplate stuck to it.

Capt. Matrix

yeah, I’m a captain and in only eighteen, shocking maybe, for a an ‘eighteen’ year old pilot, you would never have thought to be that high a rank at my age except it being be near impossible, but I made it happen, but sometimes I don't feel like I deserve it, pushing those thoughts out my head in put my key into my locker and pulled out my flight gear and set it on the bench next to me, I couldn't be bothered to change out of my normal clothing.

camouflage trousers and a light grey t-shirt with combat boots, I slipped of my boots then proceeded to put my flight overalls on, when I finally managed to put them on I picked up my iPod and earphones from inside my locker and placed them into one of my pockets them I closed my locker, all I needed now was my helmet, I reached up and grabbed said item from atop of the locker and pulled down so I could see it.

it was and odd looking thing but looked pretty bad-ass, all black with a tinted visor, but I had made I little modification of my own, see I have a little thing for one of the characters of the show, well in other words I am obsessed with her so much that I literally bought a sticker of her cloud and lightning bolt cutie mark which Iput on the side of it, so yeah rainbow dash was my favourite character, she was a dare devil like me and if the show was right she likes rock 'n' roll like me, also she has an awesome hairstyle that I want so bad.
so for around five minutes I stood there gazing at the bloody thing before snapping out of my stupor and put the device upon my head then walked out the room to get myself down for a flight session

around ten minutes later all the forms and everything else that I would need were done a sorted so I walked at a brisk pace out the main building towards the hangers, they contained fighter jets ranging from harriers to the to be decommissioned tornadoes and typhoons to the few future bought American F-35's, luckily for me I got to fly one of the American bought jets, when I finally reached my hanger through the wide open door and inside stood the machine.

An American made f-35B STOVL (short take off vertical landing) this fighter jet could go Mach 1+ it can take very short runways or take off and land like a harrier.

although this variant of the F-35B had been built with a specialized storage container which was just further back of the fan that's behind the cockpit, this is for the pilot in case of a crash landing or emergency, as I walked up to the grey machine, I let a gloved hand run along the sleek nose of the fighter feeling the cold metal alloy surface. He reached a small step ladder which he walked up and climbed onto the jets back and moved over to where the compartment was, carefully unlocking it the pulling open the hatch, everything that I normally kept in there was still there.

my laptop with cables if need be, I kept that in there since I wasn’t very trusting of the people who worked and lived here on the base and some things had been known to go missing from time to time, also in amongst the items in there lay my combat knife with plastic sheath and my M9mm Beretta pistol with spare clips as well a few other things like a spare change of clothes and a first aid kit with emergency rations too.

After checking all my belongings were still there I un-pocketed my iPod and placed in amongst them then shut the hatch then securely locked into place. I turned around and carefully clambered into the pilots seat, closing the canopy above my head and flipping the switches and dials until I finally the hear the all too familiar powerful whine of the engine spooling up, slowly the jet rolled out of the hanger and on the tarmac and into the light, I quickly flipped down my visor as a beam of sunlight burst through the cloud layer.

After a couple minutes of slowly navigating the taxi way, I arrived at the end of the runway

“Matrix two-five to tower requesting weather report runway clearance”

“Copy that captain, you have clearance to taxi to runway three- seven hold one until we get weather report”

“copy tower, clearance to runway wait one, out” hearing that I move the jet of the taxi way and onto the whit lined strip of tarmac and hold my position until I heard back from the tower

“Matrix two-five from tower, weather report today shows that there’s gonna be a severe storm from the south-west, winds speeds up to twenty five mph, heavy rain and possible sightings of lighting, all with the next half, would be advised to avoid if possible”

“Copy that tower, severe weather, permission for VTOL?”

“Permission granted runway is green have a nice flight sir”

“Copy that tower Matrix two-five out” with that I lowered the engine nozzle down at a ninety degree angle and put on full throttle, the nose would be deafening If I had been outside, after a few seconds I felt that feeling of weightlessness in my gut as the plane slowly ascended skywards, when I got to the correct altitude, I lowered the nose slightly to gain some speed effectively putting the plane into a shallow dive before angling the engine horizontal wise to get up to cruising speed, now I was officially in my element.

the feeling of no boundaries, the spectacular countryside and near bye city views, adrenalin fuelled speed, that’s pretty much my high after flying around aimlessly for an hour, I had kept myself away from the storm as possible but I time was running short and it was already getting dark, I can fly in the cover of darkness, it’s just that I don’t have as much training flying through a storm at night rather than during the day, I banked around looking at my radar a I noticed something that now put me on edge.

The storm was closing in and the only way for me to head back to the base was to go through it!

“Lady Luck must really hate me today” I mumbled to myself before I heard another voice in the comms.

“Matrix two-five this is tower, advise you to come in now, storm is brewing up something fierce and the base and all near bye airports are recalling all flights from the ferocity from the weather”

“Matrix copy’s you tower, I was already heading back in any way”

“Roger two-five, make it home safe…..tower……out………….runway…………….lights…………on” at that point the weather had become bad enough it was messing so badly with the radio it only produced static

“Well……..fuck…….looks like I’m on my own out here” I spoke to no-one in particular then glanced at the storm

“Leroy Jenkins eats your heart out” was the last thing I said before entering the storm full of low esteem confidence.
Bloody shame though that that confidence went down the shitter in the next five minutes.

“holy Jesus Christ!” I shouted as I furiously struggled to keep the plane level, not the easiest thing to try in a storm where you get thrown around aimlessly with mother nature literally just saying into your face ‘fuck you I do what I want bitch’, so far I had refrained from being hit by lighting but visibility was becoming worse and worse with the rain battering down on canopy.

‘I can this, I can do this, just keep a clean head and well can all go home safe oh what the fuck!!”

‘Crack’

I had no time to react as the lightning bolt made contact with the airframe, almost instantly warning lights and notification started flashing, and then the engine stared spluttering before shutting off effectively turning of most of the instruments

“Not good, not good!” I tried desperately to keep control of the craft but with the engine out of commission this thing became a glider in gale force winds, I watched as the speedometer was picking up speed rapidly whilst the altimeter was dropping like crazy, then the plane began rolling to the side and the G-forces forced my body against my seat, my vision slowly started turning red as I could now the ground coming up, I tried to reach the ejecting handle but the force was too much for me to move so I was left to wait for the oncoming end.

“I’ll see you soon mom” I struggled to say I prepared for the end.

But he end never came, a bright light consumed my vision, I felt the ability to move my arms and quickly used them to cover my eyes, silence, no explosions, no fire, no pain, nothing, I moved my arms from my field of view, a vast infinite whiteness lay all around me, no matter where I looked it was all white, I looked down at myself and I too was clad in whit clothing, white shirt, trousers even shoes

“Where am I, am I dead, is this the after cause last time I checked I was atheist”

“No but consider it the cross roads it you wish” spoke a calm yet majestic voice

“Who are you?”

“Surely you must know me; you have seen me a dozen times on that piece of human technology of yours after all”

The voice this time was nearer to me, almost behind me in fact, dare I do it, fuck it I’m probably dead anyways, I turned my head and I’m become face to face with a creature I last expected to see, standing in front of me was the elegant Alicorn of the burning celestial body herself, Princess Celestia

“What, how is this possible, how is any of this possible!” I exclaimed

“Quite easily I assure you” oh great seems not only does celestia exist so does the mighty trollestia too, smite me oh mighty smiter.

“Hang a second I need moment to rack my brain around all this………..wait then this means that Equestria exists!! Am I Right?” *face hoof*

“Pretty obvious there wasn’t it”

“You could say that”

“Well princess, what do i do now?”

“Well to put it simply first hoof you have death”

“Don’t sound to promising”

“You’ll have ever lasting peace and the chance to meet some people again”

My eyes widened at this I wanted to know the second option

“And what my other choice"

“On the other hoof you have to chance to live in a new world, make some new friends and maybe start a new family, you wouldn’t have to worry about you old life again”

Tempting, very tempting but there was one thing I needed to know

“Can I go back to earth?”

“No, it is not possible, the crash would have killed you had I not intervened, I’m sorry to say earth is no longer an option”
I let out a sad sigh, earth my home for the last eighteen years, and what good has it been, full of bull crap, the amount of things I’ve been through in a seemingly short life time were horrid, something’s no-one should ever have to go through.

“Well I’ve made my decision princess; I think a new life sounds promising enough”

“Very well, I’m glad you made the right choice step forward” I did so and she lowered he horn to my forehead as it started to glow a bright yellow

“Oh and by the way I would suggest you brace for a big landing Captain Matrix”

“Wait how do you know name?”

“I’ll tell you later” was all she said as the bright light consumed my vision once more, after blinking a couple of times I saw that I was still seated in the jet’s seat but as I looked out the canopy window the setting around me had completely changed, the storm had gone and the city landscape in the distant were no longer and it was bright and sunny, it then took me a split second to realize that I’m still falling out the sky,

I grabbed to control stick and tried to glide the heavy beast as it dumbly flew over what looked like and eighteenth century town, I pulled with all my might to dodge the massive tree house looking building as the ground drew near

“Pull up pull up pull up pull up pull up” the robotic voice blared out

“Aw shit here we go” as the I aimed to land in a small field just outside the town’s edge

“Pull up pull up pull up pull……”

*crash*

I blacked out upon impact.




“Sir, I've lost contact with Captain Matrix; he’s just gone off the radar!”

“What, how?”

“Don’t know sir, his signature just isn't there!”

“Dear god, have the S.A.R. team sent out to his last know location immediately whilst you keep on the horn for him!”

“sir, All search and rescue teams get on alert, we have a pilot down in the storm two miles outside the city……………..sir S.A.R. has been dispatched”

“Good keep calling him of the radio, weather’s doing a number on the lines”

“yes sir, Matrix two-five this is tower do you read, Matrix two-five, do, you, read me………….”






well guys the the first re-write of chapter 1 i hope its a lot better than the original leave a comment if you think so or if there a spelling mistake any ways imma gone get some zzzzzzzzzzzz's morning! RM out