• Published 27th Jul 2014
  • 3,669 Views, 78 Comments

The Origin Chronicles Vol. 1 - SmokeShadow95



Spike learns the secrets of Dragon Magic and must save Equestria from a threat of Darkness

  • ...
11
 78
 3,669

Ch.2 Departure

Spike met up with Luna outside the doors to the meeting room. She was smiling. She seemed to always be smiling when Spike was around. He wondered what she had in mind. This was the last day Twilight would be spending in Canterlot. How was she going to get him to stay?

He smiled back at Luna as she escorted him into the meeting room. The other princess's were already there and waiting. Celestia seemed to be her regal self. She was displaying a nice bright sunny attitude. Cadance was there as well. She was always smiling and today was no different. She was talking with Twilight. Twilight herself seemed to be in a better mood than she had been the past couple days. Spike was nervous. This was a meeting for princess's only. What would they think about him being there? Luna walked over to her place around the round table was set up in the middle of the room. She levitated Spike up and onto the table without a word of warning to anyone. Celestia could barely contain her surprise.

“Dear sister, what is the meaning of this,” She asked.

“I have a proposition,” Luna said, “Spike has been faithfully following Twilight around for years. He has been the best assistant anyone could ask for.”

“Where are you going with this, Princess Luna,” Twilight asked.

“I propose that we make Spike an official Princess Assistance Dragon,” Luna stated clearly and officially.

The three other Princess's took some time to consider Luna's sudden proposal. Twilight was completely taken aback by this sudden request. Cadance was actually considering it. But it was Celestia who spoke first.

“What would be Spike's duties as an official Princess Assistance Dragon,” She asked.

“Spike would share his time traveling between Canterlot, The Crystal Empire, and Ponyville assisting the princess there with whatever they need. After he is done with one princess he will move on to the next.”

“That sounds like a wonderful idea,” Said Princess Cadance, “I know I could use some help at the Crystal Palace, and I have seen Spike's capabilities firsthand.”

“You forget, Cadence,” Twilight interjected, “Spike is my assistant.”

“You make a fair point,” Luna said, “But Spike has already agreed to make his first round here at Royal Canterlot Castle. I have some duties that I am behind in and I could greatly use his help.”

“Is that why she wanted you for these past couple nights,” Twilight asked Spike accusingly.

“Not at first,” Spike admitted, “But, uh, it did come up recently.”

“And you just had to say yes to her,” Twilight asked.

“Well, uh,” Spiked stammered, “Be rude not to.”

Twilight conceded the point and it was decided. Spike was no longer just an ordinary baby dragon. He was an official Princess Assistance Dragon. It was also decided that Spike would accompany Twilight back to Ponyville one last time before returning to Luna at the Royal Castle.

Spike left most of his stuff back in Canterlot. He could not help but feel a little weird boarding the train with so little. He could see that Twilight was still not very pleased with his decision to stay in Canterlot. He felt bad about not telling her the real reason he was staying. Dragon magic. He was actually going to learn dragon magic. As he thought about the concept of doing magic on his own a smile appeared on his face. Twilight was sitting across from him and she saw it too.

“What are you so smiley for,” She asked sourly.

“Excited to see the others again,” Spike lied, “Even if it is to say goodbye for a while.”

Word had already been sent to the other ponies in Ponyville. The train pulled into the station at Ponyville in the early afternoon. The platform was very crowded as ponies swarmed around to see Twilight. She got a lot more attention now that she was a princess. She simply smiled back at all of them and walked off to her library and her bed. Almost every pony followed her. Spike followed close behind, but stayed quiet. He quickly ran in to the library and packed some of his things while Twilight was busy with the crowd outside. He was done and downstairs when Twilight came in. She did not even look as she tossed a casual goodbye at him. Spike had never seen her like this. Was she really that mad at him? He headed back for the train station as he thought about this.

Spike expected the platform to be clear when he got there, but it was not. There were five ponies standing there in the evening light when he got there. Before Spike knew what hit him the air was being squeezed out of him as he was being drenched with tears.

“I'm gonna miss you, Spike,” Pinkie Pie cried out, “I'll write you every day and stand by mailbox every day to get your letter as soon as it comes in. No, I'll sleep there if I have to.”

“Now settle down there,” Applejack interjected, “And put the little fella down so he can catch his breath.”

Pinkie Pie reluctantly placed Spike back on the ground. Good thing too. He had gone from purple to blue in her iron grip. He looked at the faces of all the ponies that were here to say goodbye to him. They all had questions about this new job of his. Spike answered them as best he could. He told them he was going to help Princess Luna with some of her princess duties. Rarity asked how long he would be gone and that is when it occurred to him that he didn't know. Luna never gave him a time frame for how long he was going to be away from Ponyville. The thought saddened him greatly. Now tears were welling up in everyponies eyes. Except for Pinkie Pie's. She was still crying a waterfall.

“I'll miss you, Spikey-wikey,” Rarity said as she too, burst into tears.

“Don't stay away too long,” Fluttershy said quietly.

The other ponies said their goodbyes. Except for Rainbow Dash. She didn't say goodbye. Her reason was that Spike wasn't leaving for good, so there was no reason to say goodbye. That was all he was going to get from her. She had the whole tough pony reputation to keep up and Spike was okay with that. He got a lot of gifts from them as well. Rarity made him a nice little black jacket that had the letters PAD on the back. She also gave him three nice, big, delicious gems. Fluttershy gave him a record. It was of her singing. A truly rare item indeed. Applejack gave him a whole lot of apple pies and fritters and tarts and several other apple based food products. Pinkie Pie, once she had stopped crying a little, gave him a box. It was a plain box. She said if he ever felt sad and needed some cheering up to just open the box. Rainbow Dash was the last pony. She acted like she didn't have anything and then pulled a picture of herself out and handed it to Spike. It was autographed and everything.

“So you always know who the most awesome pony around is,” She said.

Spike knew what she meant. It was a nice gesture. He put all the items with the rest of his stuff and boarded the train. This would be his first time riding alone. He stood at the back of the train as it left the station. The others were all waving goodbye and crying. Tears started to come to Spike's eyes as well. And then at the very last second before he looked away it was as if reality itself blurred. All the ponies looked like they stepped out of his nightmares. It happened so fast that Spike wasn't even sure if it was real. But Spike forced the thought from his mind. He was leaving his friends. Maybe not for forever, but it was still hard. And he was going to miss them.