• Published 27th Jul 2014
  • 3,667 Views, 78 Comments

The Origin Chronicles Vol. 1 - SmokeShadow95



Spike learns the secrets of Dragon Magic and must save Equestria from a threat of Darkness

  • ...
11
 78
 3,667

Ch.18 Spike Against the Darkness

Spike launched attack after attack against Galeek. His anger led his hands and his soul powered his magic. He threw innumerable fire blasts. His magic blasts did little to help. Every ice blast seemed to freeze everything but Galeek. No matter what he did nothing seemed to work. After a few moments he stopped. He took some time to catch his breath.

“You have such passion, young blood,” Galeek said mockingly, “It is too bad you fight for these ponies. You could be a grand ruler in my new dragon empire.”

Spike responded with another magic blast. He had vented his anger over Luna against Galeek. He still had much to be angry for, but now he had time to think. Smoke Shadow taught him better than this. Passion is power, but letting emotion rule your power takes away control of yourself. He calmed himself down and stood tall against Galeek.

“You will not hurt any more ponies, Galeek,” Spike said strongly and proudly.

“That is King Galeek to you, young blood,” Galeek said.

“You were a king in your time, but not here. Not now,” Spike said, “Your time has gone. It is way past time you joined it.”

“How can you say such words when you yourself use dragon magic from my era, taught by a dragon of my era,” Galeek asked.

Spike did not respond to Galeek. The time for words was over. Spike's eyes glowed as the power flowed through him. He roared one last time. It was not a roar of anger, or fear. No, this was a roar of power. A roar of confidence. This was the roar that let all know that Spike was not afraid. The ooze itself seemed to tremble at Spike's mighty roar. Galeek responded with a roar of his own. He roared at the very ooze he controlled. Spike took the open opportunity. He threw a powerful blast into the air above. With a quick downward move of his hands, Spike crashed the blast in Galeek's head. He followed up with fire breath hot enough and powerful enough to reduce Ponyville to ashes in just mere moments. He stopped after a short while. Galeek shielded himself with a wave of ooze that took the fire for him. He was angered about the first blast, though. He snarled and started his own attack.

Galeek thrust his hand out toward Spike. Enormous, thick tendril of ooze shot out toward him. The twisted and snaked through the air. Spike nimbly dodged and evaded the ooze. With each move he made came a swipe from his claws. He cut the tendrils dozens of times. Each one he cut grew back. It didn't matter how much he sliced off because there was always more following. Spike could not keep this up forever. He took one advantage he had. He leaped high into the air. Quickly as he could he breathed a flame into his hands and closed them tightly. He crashed back to the ground with force. As the tendrils shot back toward him. Exactly what Spike wanted them to do. Incinerate. He cast out the flame wisps to the ooze tendrils. They met with a flash of light. The flame wisps burned and consumed the tendrils with a terrifying effectiveness. They traveled all the way to Galeek himself before he could stop them. Once they met the ooze pits the wisps stopped. Spike released his closed fists again. Each of the wisps exploded. At least no more tendrils would be coming for Spike. Galeek recovered from the attack quickly, but he was angrier than ever.

“You really think you can stop me,” He shouted, “I have the power of a king, as well as the power of the ooze. You are just a young dragon with mere months of training. You cannot stop me. I AM KING!”

“Not anymore,” Spike shouted back.

Galeek flung a volley of ooze blasts at Spike from one hand and then the other. Each and every one never hit Spike. He used his own magic blasts to counter them in the air. Ooze droplets rained down, clouding the vision of both of them. Spike was ready in that situation. He ran forward and Mana Stomped. He closed his eyes as the world around him came into a new kind of view. He could sense every last drop that hit the ground. He could see Galeek through the dark drizzle. A fireball formed in Spike's claws. He launched it out but kept it from hitting Galeek right away. It went a few paces before Spike yanked it off course. He spun around fast, taking the fireball in a complete circle before crashing it into the side of Galeek. An explosion ripped through the ooze around Galeek. His frustration could easily be heard. That gave Spike a small amount of satisfaction.

“You will not stop me,” Galeek hissed.

With a wave of his hands, Galeek created towering pillars of ooze from the smaller pits. The pillars did not stay standing, as Galeek felled them with his lowering hands. The pillars landed on both sides of Spike. The ooze spilled out. Seconds later, the ooze raised and formed. Black Colts by the dozens rose from the ooze. Great. As if one ooze monster was not enough. He reacted with a feat of quick spellcasting. He threw up a wall of stone on one side, cutting him off from those Colts. Right away, without a second of pause, he turned to the other side. Out of one hand came forth a cold so extreme ice imps would run from it, if they could. Out of the other came a fire of such intensity that nothing could withstand its blaze. Both elements met with a clash of power. A field of steam was created as the two elements collided. Spike's Mana Stomp was still active, allowing him to see through the steam. All the Colts were either burnt or frozen. He turned his attention back to the other side. The wall prevented much of the steam from getting to them. It also hid Spike's position. He used this, running to the wall and leaping to the very top. He perched himself at the top and gazed down at the Colts. A Grand Thunderoar rang out. The air around the Colts and the ooze became charged. A spark zipped through the air as Spike roared. A small spark set off a chain reaction of lightning and electricity that fried the Colts.

Spike didn't realize that Galeek was also attacking. He attacked when Spike threw up the wall, expecting him to move in that direction. When Spike did not move as expected Galeek's frustration increased. Again, he tried to attack. Again, he failed. Spike leaned in to his attack when he used his fire and ice spells. Galeek's attack barely missed him, grazing the spikes on Spike's back. Spike didn't notice. As Spike leaped to the top of the stone wall, another of Galeek's attacks nearly hit him. As he propelled upward the blast soared just beneath the claws on his feet. Galeek was fast growing from frustrated to furious. In his anger he lashed out a big blast of ooze. It obliterated the stone wall that Spike was perched on. He barely escaped falling under the debris. He leaped back without even the slightest scratch.

“You are beginning to annoy me, young blood,” Galeek said angrily.

“Then I must be doing something right,” Spike replied with a smirk.

“You know nothing of my power, young blood,” Galeek said, “I was the most powerful dragon there ever was. I was defeated by that pony, and cast into the ooze. But the ooze only made me stronger. I have more than enough power to defeat you.”

More of the ooze pillars shot up from the pits. With them more ooze spilled onto the ground. As the ooze slowly made its way to Spike it changed. At first, Spike thought it was going to be more tendrils, but it wasn't. As the ooze got closer, a giant, sharp thorn erupted from the ooze. Spike sidestepped quickly, just barely getting away from the ooze. It was not enough. More ooze was coming, and with it more spikes. From each direction the ooze pooled, and from each direction the thorns came. Every way he turned a thorn shot up to meet him. Unbalanced as he was from the first, Spike was unable to rightly evade the thorns. He was on the defensive. Constantly stepping back, twisting and ducking, Spike could not keep his focus. He put barrier after barrier over his arms in attempts to try and fend off the thorns. At first, they worked. However, little by little, Spike was worn down. The thorns bounced off his barriers. Finally, after Spike put up a barrier using both his arms it shattered. A truly massive thorn quickly came out of the ooze. Spike's barrier did nothing to stop it as it shattered the barrier. The force of the hit threw him back.

“Do you see now? I have more than enough power to defeat you,” Galeek sneered, “You cannot stop me. You never could.”

Galeek continued to abuse Spike. While he was laying on the ground Galeek threw a small blast of ooze. Spike was too weary to move. A direct hit sent him through the air. He hit the ground hard and rolled. Before he was finished rolling Galeek struck again. A flat tipped thorn shot from the ooze behind Spike. The thorn impacted directly into Spike's back, pushing him closer to Galeek. Spike stumbled forward. He managed to stay on his feet, much to his own surprise. He didn't know how he was going to defeat Galeek. It seemed hopeless right then. But Spike was not one to give up. He wearily raised his hands toward the sky. Even as the sky itself was already dark, an even darker layer of clouds moved in. A heavy rain started pouring down onto the two of them, putting out any fires that were burning. Spike groaned as lightning strikes landed all around the battlefield. They were small and quick flashes of light against the dark sky.

“I am almost impressed,” Galeek said mockingly, “A young dragon in your state should not be able to move, and yet here you are. Still casting spells as well. As I said, I am almost impressed.”

Spike wasn't done yet. He glared at Galeek as the rain ran down his scales. One last push of magic. The biggest bolt of lightning yet came flashing down into Spike's waiting hands. He took the lighting onto himself. Each and every scale carried the power from that one bolt. It took Spike just a moment to gain full control over the power in that bolt. But in just that one moment, Galeek sent a tidal wave of ooze. It washed over Spike like he was nothing, sending him back and across the battlefield. The ooze subsided, and Spike was still there. He struggled a bit to get to his footing, but once he did he ran for Galeek. After a few long paces Spike stopped and took a deep breath. Galeek figured another of his fire breath attack was coming. It was, but not in the way he was expecting. Spike gathered the fire in his body and released it out in his breath, but only in small amounts. In quick succession Spike let loose Fire Breath Flares. Galeek put up a wall of ooze to protect from a massive wave of fire breath. When that didn't happen he let it down. A blanket of flares greeted him. There hot touch and harsh light blinded him temporarily. That was all Spike needed. He stepped forward just enough to ensure that Galeek would be hit. And then he unleashed the power of lightning and thunder!

The lightning arced through the darkened sky and the pouring rain. It pushed through the flares on its way to Galeek. But it never made it. A web of ooze tangles around Galeek. The lightning struck one tendril of this web and was diffused among them all. Galeek laughed evilly at the look of disbelief on Spike's face. He responded with a thin wave of ooze. It traveled down the center of the battlefield on a direct course to Spike. He was careening backwards. Into the mud and the ooze he found himself. His face was in the dirt. A puddle formed beneath him. He saw himself as he lay there. He was so tired. He didn't want to fight anymore. He felt like ever since he started learning dragon magic he spent most of his time fighting. He turned over on his back and stared up at the sky.

“Giving up already, young blood,” Galeek teased, “What would all your pony friends think if they could see you know? I wouldn't worry if I were you. You tried your best, and truly did impress me. This little exercise was just what I needed to start my first days of freedom.”

Spike lay there, looking up at the sky. The clouds and the rain were all he could see. That was all that was there. And then he saw something else. The clouds shifted, and parted. A small clearing in the clouds appeared. Spike saw a familiar sight that filled him with joy. The moon. He could see the moon. But it was more than that. The stars in the sky seemed to be moving, traveling across the night sky. He was probably imagining it, but he could swear that the stars moved to form the outline of a pony. Could it be? Star Ethereal? A soothing light came shining down. It filled Spike with a sort of calming peace. He could find no words to accurately describe how he felt in that moment. He raised himself from the mud and he dirt. He raised his head toward the sky and closed his eyes for a moment, to focus. He focused on his memories. He remembered just why he wanted to learn dragon magic. He wanted to do more, but it was not just that. He wanted to help his friends more. Twilight, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash. It started with them, but then he actually gained the ability he wanted, and he didn't help them. Not right away. Instead, he went out and made more friends. Luna, Flake, Strikfire, R.C. Keeper, Hammer Falls. All of them were also his friends. And he was fighting for them. He knew what would happen if Galeek got to them. In the next moment Spike had put his head down and set his eyes on Galeek. A new intensity ignited within him. Galeek could see it, and he was afraid.

“That look in your eyes,” He stammered, “I have seen it before. But how can you have it? It’s impossible! Only Star Ethereal has that look! How do you have it?!”

“I am more than just a dragon with dragon magic,” Spike said fiercely, “My best friends are ponies. I have lived with ponies ever since I hatched. Star Ethereal herself told me that my soul was marked by ponies. I share their magic with them.”

“No, no,” Galeek yelled, “That is not possible. You can't do that!”

“You cannot win here Galeek,” Spike said strongly.

Galeek frantically started throwing blasts of ooze at Spike. Many of them missed him completely. Those that would hit him met Spike's barriers. He slowly started walking toward Galeek. He was freaking out now more than ever. He launched his tendril again. They shot from above, heading for Spike. Galeek combined that with the thorns, that traveled to Spike from the ground. Both attacks struck with an incredible amount of power. But Spike was unharmed. He crossed his arms, strengthening his barrier tenfold. He blasted the barrier outward, shattering the ooze extremities. Spike continued walking to Galeek. He started a small tornado in his hands. He separated it into many small wind blades. He released them all around him. The sheared through each and every last ooze construct, reducing to nothing but puddles. Spike stopped moving halfway to Galeek.

“I have been beaten, battered, bruised, and bullied,” Spike said, “You may gain power from the ooze, Galeek, but that does not make you powerful.”

Spike finished his words and finished his business with Galeek. He was already powered up, but that was not enough. He remembered all what he was fighting for, and his power gained a new level. A swirl of magical green flames started around his feet. The flames swirled around and rose to circle around his entire body. He outstretched his arms to either side, allowing the flames to gather in his palms. With a final shout he slammed his hands into the ground. The resulting shockwave traveled out to all directions. The flames burned away all the ooze around Spike. The force of the shockwave hit Galeek like a moving train, stunning him.

Spike's shockwave cleared the way for his next spell. All around lights started to appear. Bright, rounded lights that showed up all around him. Each bright light turned into a dome of light, varying in size. At first nothing happened, but then Spike did something amazing. One dome of light, right next to him, burst open with brilliant light. Standing there, just after the flash, was none other than Luna herself. She was standing tall, alive and well. Galeek did not know what to think. He had blasted that very pony earlier. How was she standing there? He did now dwell on her, however, as more of the lights flashed. It revealed more ponies. After Luna, it was Flake, and then Twilight and the rest of the girls. One by one, more ponies showed until the whole area was filled with ponies. From fillies like Flake to princess's like Luna.

“What is this,” Galeek asked fearfully.

“My power,” Spike said.

After his words the ponies all moved. In unison they all looked toward the sky. Their eyes collectively turned green. They glowed to match the glow of Spike's eyes. Galeek looked on in horror. He had enough trouble with the one enemy. The young blood with magic was causing him trouble, and now he had help. A whole grouping of ponies appeared from nowhere in flashes of light. Just after all their eyes started to glow. What was going on?

“No matter what you do, young blood, you cannot stop me,” Galeek said.

“Ponies already did,” Spike said, “And I have their help.”

Around all of the ponies a soft light appeared. It surrounded and covered the ponies in a magic aura. All of it was centered around Spike. He took the light to himself and thrust his hands high into the air. The light followed and shot straight into the sky. The cloud cover cleared fast, revealing the night sky and all the stars therein. Each star seemed to shine more brightly than ever before. Galeek watched Spike as he did what he was going to do. Spike looked Galeek dead in his eyes.

“Ethereal Fallen,” Spike yelled out.

The light from the spell that surrounded all the ponies vanished. It flashed to Spike and then up to the stars. The whole sky flashed a bright green for only a moment. The stars shone brightly, and everything went silent. Spike slammed his hands down as if he was hitting the ground. His hands stopped just in front of Galeek. It was like he was using his hands to point at Galeek. Yet, nothing happened. Galeek started to snicker a bit. It was quick turning into a maniacal laugh. But then it stopped. When he heard a crackling from a fire he quieted down. Galeek's eyes turned to the sky as that was where the sound was coming from. He could not believe the sight he saw.

Spike had somehow conjured up something that should not have been possible. A ball of fire was falling from the sky. It was a tremendous object that glowed white hot. The whole falling star had a green glow to it. To Galeek, it was as if Spike ripped a star from the sky itself and was throwing it at him. Galeek did not even have time to scream as the falling star struck him. A huge fire erupted from the sight of impact. It burned and swirled around the pits of ooze. The fire burned as the ponies and Spike powered down.

“Whoa,” Spike said, “That was cool.”

Spike walked up to the pits that held the ooze. The fire was still burning strong in the pits. Spike waved his hands and the flames died down.

“Um, Spike,” Luna said cautiously, “What just happened?”

“Galeek is gone,” Spike said, “And so is the black ooze.”