• Published 27th Jul 2014
  • 3,669 Views, 78 Comments

The Origin Chronicles Vol. 1 - SmokeShadow95



Spike learns the secrets of Dragon Magic and must save Equestria from a threat of Darkness

  • ...
11
 78
 3,669

Ch.17 The Dark Dragon King

Ponyville was in uproar. Word spread that the evil that was coming had arrived. Ponies were scrambling and running around with no clear objective. Twilight was able to get them under control after a while. She was able to get them headed toward the shelter in the Everfree Forest. Zecora met them at the edge of the Forest and guided them in. Spike immediately headed for the library. What he wanted was an item in the library. His backpack. It held everything that he needed to fight Galeek. He found it and dragged it outside. He pulled his latest coat out and slipped it on. He felt a rush of power as the enchanted garment slipped over his scales. He grabbed the crystal medal that Cadance gave him. He slid that over his head. The crystal pendant held a small remnant of crystal power direct from Cadance. Spike would need every last ounce of power.

Before he could grab anything else he was interrupted. A blast of black ooze landed only a few paces from him. The ground exploded with ooze and dirt. Shouts and yelling could be heard coming from the edges of town. Spike picked himself up off the ground. Twilight rushed over to him. She was saying something, but Spike did not hear what. All he heard was Twilight telling him to follow her. She ran one direction and Spike followed her. She led him to Luna, and her chariot.

“Get on, Spike,” Twilight said.

“What? Why? What's going on,” Spike said.

“We all felt a very large spike in raw magical power,” Twilight explained, “It could be Galeek. Luna will take you there. We will meet you as soon as we can.”

Spike knew not to argue with Twilight. When she was serious and set on something there was nothing that could change her mind. Spike got on Luna's chariot with her. Her guards took off and soon after they were out of Ponyville. They were headed in the direction that took them away from almost everything that resembled civilization. They flew for at least an hour in silence. Until it was broken.

“I do not where we are going,” Luna said.

“I do,” Spike said.

He looked down at the ground below them. For a while now the entire landscape seemed to be noting but barren. A wasteland that nothing grew in. It took a moment for Spike to realize that the land was key. The barren wasteland was the same as the nightmares. Spike focused on the memories. He scanned over the scenes from the nightmares, looking for any landmarks or scenery that could lead him to Galeek. There was nothing. Star Ethereal made sure of that. She buried any trace of Galeek a very long time ago. There was nothing to look for.

The ponies pulling Luna's chariot were tiring, so they landed and rested. Spike and Luna set out searching. He knew they were close. He could feel it in his scales. They walked away slowly, scanning the area for any signs of Galeek. There was not much to search. The area they were in was flat and lifeless. Rocks were the only things there in abundance. There were a few small piles of rocks that were scattered around. A single large mound of boulders centered it all. The only other thing that they could see was a tall cliff. They were at the bottom.

It didn't take long for someone, or something, to start making noise. Luna did not seem to take notice. Spike made no indication that he knew. His enhanced hearing allowed him to track down the sound, and whatever was making it. He tracked the noise until it was right behind him. Then he struck. He flashed his eyes green and charged his claws with power. He turned with his claws raised and ready. When he saw what he was attacking he stopped mid strike.

“Princess Celestia,” Spike said with shock.

“Spike,” Celestia said, “What are you doing here?”

“I came with Luna,” Spike said.

“Sister,” Luna said, “I am glad to see you here.”

No more words were shared between the three of them. A violent shaking ripped through the ground. Cracks and crevices emerged by the dozens. As the dust settled, the three of them heard a new noise. It was low. A rumble that vibrated the very air in the wasteland. Spike felt a coldness travel through his scales. He powered up and snarled.

“Galeek,” Spike yelled as loud as he could.

The rumble continued. So did the quaking and the shaking. The cracks and crevices got bigger. Dust filled the air and the sound deafened the trio. Through all the noise and dust more could be heard. It was a deep, evil sound that resonated in the very soul of whoever heard it. Spike knew it. Laughter. A deep, growling laugh that invoked the same evil its owner did. Spike growled and roared. Then it appeared. The ground opened and gave way all at once. A gaping hole in the rocky ground formed. In its place was a new landmark, one that Spike recognized. A tremendous pit of black ooze. The surface of the pit was undisturbed. The ooze bubbled on the surface and seeped out any crack it could find. Several smaller pits sprang up and out of the ground around the central large pit. As the three of them watched in horror at what was happening before their eyes, the ooze changed. Something on the central ooze pit was coming up. The ooze rolled off the thing like water. It slowly rose up and up. Through the ooze scales could be seen. Black scales, with read spikes protruding through them. Two arms spread wide before coming to rest at sides. A head emerged and eyes flashed open. Red glowing eyes that portrayed the evil and twisted mind they belonged to. This being that came from the ooze grinned an evil grin and looked down at Spike.

“I am here, young blood,” Galeek said, “I must admit I am surprised to see that you are. It is good to see that not all dragon magic has died with me. Now that I am free I can use this magic to take back the land that that pesky pony Star Ethereal took from me. At least she can no longer pester me.”

“That was my mother, you monster,” Luna screamed.

She took steps toward Galeek as she screamed at him. Celestia tried to stop her, but it was no use. Luna just kept going. It didn't matter how powerful Galeek was. Luna was raging. Galeek did not seem to notice, and he certainly didn't care. And suddenly, Luna was silent. Like slow motion, a small blast of ooze came from Galeek's hand. Luna was hit directly. She was struck while her head was raised proudly. She landed at Celestia's hooves.

“Luna,” Celestia gasped in horror.

Spike eyed Luna. A glow more intense than ever built up in him. He lit up with a magic fury. He roared in anger. His feet dug into the ground as his anger shook the very core of the wasteland. He locked his angered eyes on Galeek.

Galeek threw up his hands and laughed. A swirl of black ooze traveled around his hands. More ooze came seeping out of the cracks in the ground. With one final push he cast the ooze out. It spread out in all directions like a tidal wave of black shadows. Spike leaped back to Celestia and Luna, throwing up a protective bubble when he got to them. He broke the bubble a few moments after. The entire landscape of the wasteland had been changed. What was once just a rocky, dusty, barren land was now an ooze contaminated black, dark marsh. Spike turned to Celestia. She was leaned over Luna, crying. Luna was hurt, but still alive. He stepped back from the ground where the bubble was. It was the only place not marked by ooze. He quickly put up another bubble, but this was different. Spike was outside and the bubble was not to protect. Celestia looked up at him as he finished his spell. With one quick motion they were gone. He was alone with the monstrosity, the master of the ooze, the evil that he was waiting for. Spike was alone with the Dark Dragon King, Galeek.