• Published 27th Jul 2014
  • 3,669 Views, 78 Comments

The Origin Chronicles Vol. 1 - SmokeShadow95



Spike learns the secrets of Dragon Magic and must save Equestria from a threat of Darkness

  • ...
11
 78
 3,669

Ch.12 Apologies and Answers

Twilight saw Spike standing before her. She could not believe it. He had changed so much. Physically, that is. That was all she could see and all she wanted to know at the moment. Nothing more. She sneered at him and turned away. She did not want to talk to him. She flashed her horn and several candles that were place throughout the library lit. Their dancing flames lit the room with a low and wavering light. Twilight took her pack off and began removing the flowers.

“Twilight,” Spike said, “It is good to see you. It's, uh, been a long time.”

Nothing. No answer. No retort. Not even an acknowledgment that he said anything. She just continued on with her flowers. Spike noticed that she had dozens of them all over the library. She was either collecting them, or they had something to do with magic. They were pretty flowers. White in the center that faded to black with a purple tint.

“Listen, Twilight-.”

“Leave me alone,” Twilight said coldly, “I don't want to be bothered right now.”

“I just want to talk to you,” Spike said.

“Talk,” Twilight scolded as she turned to Spike, “Now you want to talk?! You didn't bother talking to me when you decided to go and work for Luna. Or Cadance. You just left!”

“I know it has been a long time,” Spike said.

“A long time. Yeah right,” Twilight scoffed, “You've been gone for six months, Spike. Six months!”

“I know,” Spike said strongly, “And it was hard for me, too, but I had my reasons. I am sorry I left you so suddenly.”

“You 'had your reasons',” Twilight repeated, “You have no idea how hard it was for me to adjust when you were here one day and gone the next. I had no time to prepare or anything. Wasn't that more important than your 'reasons'? Huh, Spike?”

Spike now understood. Twilight felt abandoned. She felt alone and unprepared. For a pony like Twilight, who lived off checklists and organization, feeling unprepared can be devastating. Especially when combined with loneliness. And she was right. Spike had left her. He left suddenly and without reason. He did a lot for Twilight. Not giving her time to prepare for his absence was a terrible mistake. He had to fix this. Twilight could not stay mad at him forever. That would be bad for more than just their friendship. It would be bad for all of Equestria.

Spike looked at Twilight right I her eyes. He could see how hurt she felt. He raised an open hand and showed her his palm. When he closed his hand all the candles in the library went out. They were now in perfect darkness. Shadows surrounded them. Before Twilight could relight the candles a small light began to shine. She struggled to see it through the shadows. She was able to discern that is was actually two lights. They were getting brighter and brighter until she saw where they were coming from. It was Spike. His eyes were glowing.

“This is why I left, Twilight,” Spike said, “I had a chance to learn dragon magic. I couldn't pass that up. You of all ponies should be able to understand that. I didn't tell you because I didn't want you to worry about me. You are a princess now. You have other things to worry about.”

“Well, your brilliant plan worked,” Twilight replied, “I wasn't worried. And I am not falling for the glowing eyes. I can think of at least fifty low level spells that can do that.”

“You don't believe that I learned dragon magic,” Spike said with disbelief as he powered down, “Then how did I get past your barrier? And why am I so much bigger than before?”

“Maybe Luna helped you past my spells,” Twilight responded, “You both seem to be quite close now. As for your size, it is called growing up.”

Twilight was really hurt by Spike when he left. No matter what he said now he was not going to get her forgiveness. Not right away. He hung his head low and moved for the front door. He would come back again and maybe he could convince her of something. Any step closer he would take. Twilight watched behind her as Spike left. As he neared the door she looked away. She saw something out of the corner of her eye. A movement, in the dark. As she peered into the shadows she saw another pony. A Black Colt emerged and charged after her. Twilight screamed and fell back. Within seconds Spike had blasted the Colt into a wall and was there to help Twilight up.

“Spike, behind you,” Twilight screamed as she reached for his hand.

Two more Black Colts had emerged from the shadows and started spitting black ooze at Spike. He spun and crossed his arms in front of his chest, blocking both him and Twilight's. This gave Twilight time enough to circle around and blast them. They were stunned but only for a moment. Spike saw a multitude of candles around them. He raised his hands, palms up, and the flames grew higher on the candles. He circulated his hands and a ring of flames was formed from the lit candles. The ring circled and burned brighter. It closed in on the Colts until they turned to dust and fell to debris. Twilight stood behind Spike, stunned. She had not seen anything like that before.

“Believe me now,” Spike asked sarcastically.

“Tell. Me. Everything,” Twilight said seriously.

Spike and Twilight's stayed up late into the night as he told her all of his adventures and everything he learned. He told her everything. He started with the first meeting of all the princess's. That one book that he found and the promise Luna made to help him learn magic so ancient that most ponies don't know it even existed. Spike told her of Smoke Shadow. The Dragon Mystik who taught him so many things. He told her of the Night Calling Mirror. An artifact that allowed you to speak to anypony across any distance. An item created using both dragon and pony magic. Spike told of his tasks at the Crystal Palace, and the battle that went on there. He told Twilight of the ice farm that he fell into and the young filly he befriended there. When he was done, Twilight was the only pony who had the full and complete story of his time away. She was amazed and terrified and proud and many other emotions all rolled up into one pony princess. When morning came the light shined in through the cracks between the curtains. Twilight opened them fully and the library filled with light. It was then that both of them got the full scope of how messy it was.

“For a pony who prides herself on organization, you do make quite a mess,” Spike said jokingly.

“Well, my favorite dragon assistant wasn't here to help me clean up,” Twilight replied with a smile.

“I am here now,” Spike said, “And now we can both do magic.”

Spike gave Twilight a challenging smirk and rushed to start cleaning. Twilight heartily accepted and they raced to see who could get the most done. It was the most intense and close battle Spike had ever been in.

A few hours later there was a knock on the library door. Twilight opened it with magic and let the others in. They were very surprised that they got an answer at all, and even more surprised that she was letting them in. Twilight greeted them with a smile and everypony was confused.

“Hi girls,” She said happily, “Come on in.”

“Well, you seem to be in a mighty good mood,” Applejack said.

“Why wouldn't I be? Spike just helped me clean the library. You have no idea the mess I made with those flowers,” Twilight responded.

“Is that what you two been doing all this time,” Applejack questioned, “Cleaning?”

“What do you mean,” Twilight asked, “What else would we be doing?”

“Well, ya see, Twilight,” Applejack started, “You ain't rightly been yourself as of late. When I heard Spike came to visit ya here and no pony seen him since then, why, I rounded up the rest of the girls and hauled 'em down here fast as my hooves could move.”

“What do you mean I 'haven't been myself',” Twilight asked.

“Please, darling,” Rarity exclaimed, “You have been locked away in this library for months now. Ever since Spike left, actually. Not that it has damaged your mane at all. You look as fabulous as ever.”

“Yeah, and you were always playing the quiet game when I knocked,” Pinkie Pie said cheerfully, “Now that I think about it, you lost since you started talking again. We'll have to play again sometime.”

“Is that what all of you think,” Twilight asked, “Because that is not what happened. Yes, I was sad that Spike left, but I didn't lock myself in the library because of it.”

“That's what I said,” Rainbow dash said, “But nopony ever listens to awesomeness like mine. If they did then Ponyville would be at least twenty percent cooler.”

“If you don't mind me asking,” Rarity said, “Then what were you doing in all that time?”

“Celestia asked me to look into these flowers,” Twilight explained, “I have been studying them for a while now. Didn't I tell you guys?”

“I most certainly would have remembered you telling me of such a gorgeous flower,” Rarity said, “This makes me want to make a whole new floral line! Do you perhaps have one I can borrow?”

“Sorry, but they aren't safe,” Twilight said, “The pollen alone is very poisonous to ponies.”

“Then why do you have them,” Rainbow Dash asked briskly.

“Because I have found through my studies that prepared properly the flower can act as a very potent regenerative agent,” Twilight replied.

“Uhh, what,” Dash replied.

“It heals you quick as jackrabbit,” Applejack explained.

“Well, when you are done, maybe we can all get something to eat,” Rarity said, “I know I am famished.”

“Actually, I am done,” Twilight said, “I was just packing up my final report to send to Celestia when Spike showed up.”

“Great,” Pinkie Pie said, “Then it is time for food!”

“How about a picnic,” Fluttershy asked quietly.

“That sounds like a wonderful idea,” Twilight said, “I could use some fresh air.”

The six ponies and Spike had a picnic that day for lunch. It was the first time in many months that they were all together. It was good. They all got to sit and talk. Spike told them many things about his travels. He left some details out. It was a good day all around. But it was the last they would have for a while.