• Published 27th Jul 2014
  • 3,661 Views, 78 Comments

The Origin Chronicles Vol. 1 - SmokeShadow95



Spike learns the secrets of Dragon Magic and must save Equestria from a threat of Darkness

  • ...
11
 78
 3,661

Ch.3 Smoke Story

Spike yawned as he woke from a surprisingly good nights sleep. He had been at the castle in Canterlot for three weeks now. He had a few more nightmares but he did not worry about as much. He talked with Princess Luna and she helped him through them. Sometimes she appeared in his dreams and sometimes he had to talk to her after he woke up.

Smoke Shadow had just begun teaching him about dragon magic. Right now it was just history and lore. Spike was still fascinated by it all. He found out so much. He learned that eons ago there were dragons who could breath other elements than fire. He also learned that not all dragons could talk. Some kinds were just feral beasts. He read about how dragons could harness the different elements to their will. One dragon could lite an entire forest on fire with one breath and another could come and take all the fire away with a single spell. Their were all kinds of magic back then that dragons could use. Healing magic that could mend wounds in minutes that would take days or even weeks to heal on their own. Spike loved learning all these new things. With every page turned he found more answers to questions that he had. With every book read he had even more questions. He had just finished the last book that Smoke Shadow gave him. That was also the last book that Smoke Shadow had on the magic of dragons. What was going to come next? Actual spells and spell casting, maybe? But there was still one question that had been haunting his mind. He would have to ask either Luna or Shadow later on.

Speaking of late, Spike looked out his window. He had been given his own room for his stay at the castle. Luna said it was always be ready for him when he stayed. It was a small room, but that was okay with Spike. He was a small dragon after all. It was also conveniently located equally between Celestia's and Luna's chambers. That way he could get to either of them in the same amount of time. He looked out the window to the setting sun. It was late afternoon. Since Luna was helping him and she is the Princess of the night, Spike had gotten used to staying up late into the night and sleeping well into the day. He had actually woken up early. Time enough for breakfast he thought. He made his way down the castle corridors to the dining hall. Being a guest in the castle did have its perks. One of them being a bowl of fine gems for breakfast whenever he made it down there. As usual he was caught up in his own thoughts so much that he did not notice that someone else had begun walking beside him.

“Hello, Spike,” Celestia said.

Geez. Spike jumped slightly at the sudden sound of her voice. Her and Luna have both done that to him now. It must be a sister thing. A kind of amusement in this big castle full of nothing but steadfast guards. He quickly steadied himself and responded to Celestia.

“Oh, good morning, Princess Celestia,” Spike said.

“It is the late afternoon,” Celestia corrected, “But I know what you mean. You have been sleeping quite late into the day since you have been staying here. Does my sister keep you up at night?”

“No, not really,” Spike said, “It is easier for me to help her when both of us are awake. And she is usually sleeping during the day so she can raise the moon at night.”

“It would seem you have gotten to know my sister fairly well,” Celestia said, “I am glad. It has been a long time since she had a real friend. I am glad you are there for her, Spike.”

Celestia and Spike talked for a little while more as they headed for the dining hall. Spike had not really seen much of Celestia since he had been staying there. He had spoken with her even less. Much of his free time is spent with Luna and Shadow. At least today he would start off with a belly full of gems. He got a bowl of mixed gems from the kitchen and dug in. After he was done, he thanked the kitchen staff and headed out. It was just starting to get dark and he raced to Luna's chambers. He liked to watch as she raised the moon. Her balcony had the best view. He headed down the long hallway that led to her chambers. The guards nodded as he walked by. He was pretty well known around there by this point. He opened the door to find Luna already at the balcony. He walked over and stood next to her. He watched as Celestia lowered the sun for that day. He watched as Luna raised the moon. It was quite a thing to behold.

“Impressive, isn't it,” Shadow said.

Spike didn't even hear Shadow right next to him. That was just the way Shadow was. Always silent. Always sneaky. Whenever Spike asked him why he would always answer with 'Can you hear shadows?'. Spike just nodded in agreement to his question.

“Hey, Shadow,” Spike inquired, “I had a question about dragon magic.”

“You always do, young blood,” Shadow said, “What is it?”

“From the first day I found out about dragon magic I was told how powerful and dangerous it was. If dragons were so powerful with magic how did they lose it back back then?”

Luna and Shadow exchanged worried looks.

“I have been waiting for this question,” Shadow said, “I had hoped it would come later, however.”

Shadow walked over to a chair and sat down. Spike sat on a cushion on the floor in front of him. Luna laid down next to him on her own pile of cushions. Shadow put a large, shallow bowl onto the floor in between them. He breathed a small violet flame into the bowl. The flame danced and moved about and cast an eerie light over the dragon's scales. Smoke started to drift up out of the bowl. It was in this dark smoke that the story would be told. Spike saw flashes of violet light shine through the smoke until they finally shone through. The violet light twisted and morphed at the sound of Smoke Shadows voice.

“It all started eons ago,” Shadow started his story, “Long before there were ponies in the land Equestria there were beasts and creatures. They ruled the land and the water and the air. Among all creatures there was one that reigned above them all. The dragon! It was not because of his mighty strength that the dragon was supreme. There were many a beast that could match his strength. It was not because of his keen mind that the dragon was supreme. There were many creatures with equal minds. What made the dragon into the supreme beast was his capacity for magic. Dragons had a natural gift for catching and altering the flows of magical energy. That is essence of magic. And so the dragon learned magic. First it was fire. With a simple breath any thing could be set aflame. It was something he did at ease. Second came flight. The dragon had wings, but they were clumsy and heavy. So he used magic to make him lighter and faster and to the skies he went. And so the dragon went on to teach other dragons how use the gifts he had learned.

Soon after dragons had become more than just beasts and creatures. They were intelligent, talking beings. With their newly found gifts of magic the dragons built an empire, a kingdom. And at the head of that kingdom was one dragon. Galeek was his name and he was the first. The first dragon to use magic and the first to share it among his kind. He was hailed as a great hero to dragons. And for many centuries he ruled and lived peacefully. But it was not to last. For another being was coming to light that could use magic. Ponies.

At first ponies went unnoticed by dragons. They could not use magic on the grand scale that dragons could. Not yet. But the time would soon come. It happened late one night when a dragon scout was out on patrol. He saw a light in the woods and went down to investigate. He found a unicorn pony using magic to light his way so that he could see the path ahead. This scout returned to Galeek and told him of what he saw. That one pony and that one scout started a war.

Galeek quickly became jealous of the ponies. It angered him that dragons were no longer the only ones would could use magic. He hunted down every pony that he could find that could use magic and imprisoned them deep in the dungeons of his castle. This angered the ponies. They did not understand why Galeek hated their magic so much. Eventually it turned into all out war. Dragons would attack ponies as they moved from village to village. Ponies would attack dragons as they came to villages. They fought for more centuries. There was no winner and there was not going to be one. Their war was going to destroy one of the two and the ponies knew it was going to be them.

One day the ponies decided to make a new magic. One that could combat the might of dragon magic. The three best magic users ponies had got together in secret. They took a pony volunteer. A young mare and gave her an immense amount of magical energy. One gave her the strength of the Earth ponies. The second gave her the speed and flight of the Pegasus ponies. The third gave her the raw magical energy of the Unicorn ponies. The mare was forever changed on that day. She became the first Alicorn in Equestrian history. She used her abilities to combat dragon magic and save her fellow ponies.

After a short time it was just her and Galeek. One final showdown. Galeek had fallen deeper and deeper into the abyss of jealousy and paranoia. He believed that the ponies were after his kingdom and his throne. And so he fought. He fought the ponies. He fought other dragons. He fought the Alicorn.

It was a long and brutal fight. The Alicorn was equally matched with Galeek. She could use the speed her wings gave her to outmaneuver his sheer size and strength. She could use her sharp mind to out think the dragon king. Their war had already destroyed much of the land. Galeek was determined to see it fall into ruin than the hooves of the ponies. But he would not see that day. His battle with the Alicorn left him tired and weak. He found himself at the edge of a deep pit. Deeper than any ever known before or since. It was a pit of a foul black ooze. The Alicorn was also there. She had followed him there. She was just as weak and tired, but she would not lose. With one final blast of magic Galeek was sent into the black ooze. It gripped at his body and clung to his every scale. The more he tried to free himself the more trapped he became. With his last final breath he cursed the Alicorn for what she had done.

The Alicorn cast one last spell on Galeek as he sank into the ooze. She burdened him to bear the weight of the magic from all dragons. And so it was. Every dragon in Equestria was stripped of magic. All that energy came from all the land and focused on one being, Galeek. It was too much for him to handle and he screamed as the ooze took him. He was lost to the darkness and shadows. After which the Alicorn sealed the pit of ooze. She brought the earth together so that Galeek could never escape again. That Alicorn's name was Star Ethereal. Mother to two Alicorn daughters. Celestia and Luna.”

Even Luna was sitting as wide eyed as a young filly at story time as Smoke Shadow told the story. Once it was done he cast the smoke away and put the flames to rest. Spike was amazed by the tale he just heard. This was a forgotten time in Equestrian history and he knew about it. But what amazed him the most was the Alicorn. Luna's mother. Star Ethereal was her name. Spike looked at Luna with a brand new sense of amazement. But she did not look as amazed as he did.

“Why,” She asked, “Why did you never tell me of my mother?”

“Because you weren't ready to hear it until now,” He answered.

“What is that supposed to mean,” Luna yelled.

“After your mother sealed the pit and trapped Galeek in the darkness, something happened,” Shadow said, “The curse that Galeek put on your mother took hold. She died soon after her final battle with Galeek.”

“What was the curse,” Luna asked fiercely.

“He tied your mother's life force with the essence of dragon magic,” Smoke Shadow responded, “As dragon magic died, so did your mother.”

“And just how do you know so much about this,” Luna asked aggressively.

“Your mother left behind a journal,” Smoke Shadow answered, “I was able to read it before it got destroyed in the aftermath of the war.”

“Do you see now, Spike,” Luna asked, “Now do you see the effects of using dragon magic? The damage it causes?”

Luna went over to her bed and closed the canopy. She could be heard crying into her pillows. Smoke Shadow disappeared into shadows to make his exit. Spike just left the way he came in. It had been a very emotional night. Spike headed back to his room. He climbed into bed and ate a few gems from his secret stash before drifting off to sleep.

The next day was a strange one. Spike was woken up by a knocking at his door. He glanced outside the window as he sleepily got out of bed. It was morning. He had only been asleep for a few hours at most. What was so important that he was woken up this early. The answer came to him as he saw the one who was knocking at his door. It was none other than Princess Celestia. Spike instantly went from sleepy to awake and alert.

“Princss Celestia,” He said suddenly, “What brings you here?”

“It is Luna,” Celestia said, “She did not lower the moon as she was supposed to last night. When I went to check on her she was in her bed, crying. Tell me Spike, do you know of anything that could have made my sister cry?”

Spike was in a very bad spot here. He did not want to tell Princess Celestia about his dragon magic teacher, but at the same time he did not want to lie to her. Luna was crying after all and he could not think of anything else to say so he said the only thing he could.

“It's my fault,” Spike blurted out, “I'm so sorry, Princess Celestia. I was helping her out last night and I asked questions and things were said and I didn't mean to make her cry. It was all just a big-”

“Be silent, Spike,” Celestia said, “I know you. If you did make my sister cry then I am sure it was not intentional. I am only worried of the effect her tears will have on her duties. She has already forgotten the moon once.”

“I understand, Princess,” Spike said, “I will go and talk to her.”

“I think that would help her,” Celestia said.

Celestia left to address some of her own royal duties. Spike was left alone to go and see to Luna. He grabbed a few gems from his stash and left for Luna's chambers right away. Before long he noticed a shadow keeping pace with him. Smoke Shadow said nothing as he walked in the shadows alongside Spike. He was doing the same thing Spike was. Tending to Luna so she could continue to see to her royal duties. The guards at the doors were different today. Probably because it was day. Spike was used to arriving here at night. He got to the guards but did not pass. Both guards were Pegasus ponies and crossed their wings to prevent Spike from getting through.

“The Princess does not want to be disturbed,” The guard on the left said.

“We are ordered to let no one pass,” The guard on the right said.

“I have to see Princess Luna,” Spike argued, “It is an emergency. I am part of the reason she does not want to be disturbed. I have to fix it. Celestia herself asked me come talk to her.”

Spike could tell his words were having no effect on the guards. He was not going to get anywhere like this. But he had to see Luna. He had to apologize to her. Those darn guards were not going to let him pass, however. He needed a way around them. Smoke Shadow was in the shadows and he wanted the same thing Spike did. He could easily sneak in though. He had been doing it for weeks now and Spike was sure he had done it before then as well. Smoke Shadow decided to help the young dragon, though. He cast a small shadow from his place within them. This small piece of shadow exploded into a massive cloud of black smoke. The guards scrambled as they tried to see anything through the blackness. Spike saw this as his opportunity and went for it. He ran for the doors to Luna's chambers and pushed one open. He closed it again so as the smoke from Shadow's spell wouldn't get in.

Luna was laying in bed, just as Celestia had said. She had not moved since the last time Spike was here. She was curled up in a ball on her bed covers. Spike moved around the room to see her more clearly. She had been crying for a while. That much was clear. As Spike moved close he saw that Luna was sleeping. Spike slowly made his way to her bedside. He almost tripped over a pile of books that was in the middle of the floor. He was moving slowly to avoid doing just that. The last thing he wanted was to wake Luna up so abruptly. It took him a few moments to get there. He couldn't help but wonder why the guards hadn't burst in here yet. He tried not thinking about it. He was almost at her bedside when he noticed a bowl on the floor. He had almost stepped in it. It was full of a clear liquid, Water maybe. Spike reached his hand out to touch the liquid.

“I wouldn't do that, young blood,” Smoke Shadow said, “Those are Lunar Tears. I'm sure you know where they come from. Very potent magical artifact. Not sure how they would affect you.”

Spike said nothing as he retracted his hand. He looked back at Luna. He was a little disappointed that he got distracted by bowl of Luna's tears. Luna herself was breathing shallow and slow, but she seemed to be alright. That is, until she started talking in her sleep. She called for something, or someone, to get away. To go back to wherever it came from. Spike was worried. He climbed up onto the bed and stood next to Luna. She was twitching and writhing about. Spike put a consoling hand on her shoulder and was gone. He was sucked into Luna's mind and into her nightmare.

Luna was standing in City of Canterlot. Then she was Ponyville. She seemed to be oblivious to the fact that Spike was there. Maybe she just hadn't seen him yet. She was just standing there with an angry look on her face. Spike looked around that Ponyville. It seemed somehow familiar. The dark clouds, the empty paths, and the eerie wind just seemed to remind him of something. Of course! His own nightmares! This was the same Ponyville that he had nightmares about. But how was Luna having the same nightmare he's had? Spike soon realized it was not the same. He ran up to Luna's side.

“Luna,” He called, “I'm right here.”

“Spike,” Luna said with shock, “What are you doing here?”

“I came to help,” He said.

It was not a lie. Spike did come to help. He just left out the part that he was in Luna's bed and he had been sucked into her nightmare as soon as he touched her.
Before anything more could be said the ground beneath them rumbled. It was like a massive earthquake. Spike looked around. Ponyville was no longer empty. Every corner, every path, and every window was filled with ponies. They were different though. In Spike's nightmares the ponies' eyes were dark and lifeless. The eyes in Luna's nightmare seemed to void of anything. And a black substance was seeping out of their mouths, like they were drooling it. Creepy.

“Get behind me, Spike,” Luna said with authority.

Spike did as he was told. In an instant they were somewhere else. A barren wasteland of nothing but rocks and sand and dust. Spike knew of this place. The Untrodden Lands. Nothing survived here. Nothing grew here. It was a place of legend and myth. What was here that brought Luna and Spike to this barren place? The answer came with another rumble from the earth. It was even stronger than the one they had felt in Ponyville. This time the ground itself had split open and a black ooze started seeping up from the cracks and crevices in the ground. A geyser spewed the ooze far into the air and it came raining down on Luna and Spike. The two of them huddle together as if that would protect them. As the first drops hit them they woke up.

Luna woke with such a start that she ended up launching Spike off the bed with her outstretched wings. He got some good airtime and collided with a bowl on the floor on his way down. He ended up with a bowl on his head and wet all over. Luna looked over the side of the bed at him. She levitated the bowl off his head and snickered.

“Sorry, Spike,” She said.

“It's okay,” Spike said with a little blush, “I did kinda need a bath anyway.”

“Yes. Amusing,” Smoke Shadow said, “What happened with you two? He lays a claw on you and both of you are quiet for several minutes. Why?”

“Is that what happened,” Luna asked, “I was having a nightmare. I guess I was calling out for help without realizing it and when Spike touched me he was brought into my nightmare.”

“Interesting,” Smoke Shadow said, “But I think it is time for us to leave.”

The dragon's words blindsided both Luna and Spike. They were shocked by the lack of emotion in the words. And the timing. Why now? Why was he so insensitive about it?

“What do you mean,” Luna asked.

Smoke Shadow recanted the tale of just how Spike entered Luna's chambers. It was a short, but revealing tale. He had openly used magic and Spike was caught in the middle. Shadow had made a shadow illusion of Spike running from the scene to fool the guards. It was no longer a secret about him. Either they left and Luna denied it or they stay and Luna reveal to Celestia what had been going on in her chambers at night for the past three weeks. It was decided that they leave. Luna still did not quite agree wit the decision.

“We have to, Luna,” Shadow said, “Besides, he has read all the books I have. It is time he moved on from literature and history and lore. He needs to practice real magic. We cannot do that here. Not now.”

“But where will you go,” Luna asked with concern in her voice.

“Can you contact Princess Cadance,” Shadow asked bluntly, “We have his cover as a Princess Assistance Dragon to uphold as well. Plus the Crystal Empire is a perfect place to study and learn magic.”

“I can do that,” Luna assured, “And I can also tell my sister that the smokescreen incident was also me. I called out for help and sensed Spike was near. I unconsciously used my magic to help him enter my chambers.”

“And I ran away,” Spike interjected, “At first. That is what the guards saw. But then I realized how important it was to talk to Luna and I turned around and got in.”

Both Shadow and Luna were impressed with Spike's quick thinking. He readily accounted for the one part of the plan that they had forgotten to include. As they talked about the plan Luna heard a knock on her door. Smoke Shadow was gone in wisp of smoke and disappeared into the shadows. The doors opened and Celestia walked in.

“It is good to see you awake, sister,” Celestia said, “But you still are not happy.”

“It is okay, sister,” Luna said, “Spike informed me last night that he believes it is time for him to move on from here. The news saddened me more than I thought it would. Spike came and talked to me this morning and we agreed that it was time he moved on.”

“Sad news indeed,” Celestia said, “Are you planning on returning to Ponyville?”

“Actually, I was planning on traveling to the Crystal Palace,” Spike admitted, “Princess Cadance did say she could use the help of an official Princess Assistance Dragon the last time she was here after all.”

“I am sure you will do just fine,” Luna said, “You did help me out greatly these past weeks. Thank you, Spike.”

Later that evening a big banquet was held for Spike's departure from the Royal Castle in Canterlot. It was quite the occasion. There was a huge feast with a whole assortment of gems. There were rubies, sapphires, turquoise, emeralds, and even more that Spike could not name. Celestia and Luna were there at the head of the banquet table. Spike was seated right next to Luna at her side of the table. She was laughing and having a good time. Celestia smiled more at this than anything else that night.

Spike was leaving the next morning. After the feast he was exhausted and full. He had eaten WAY too much. He would be burping up gem shards for days, but it was worth it. Those were some of the tastiest gems he had ever eaten. One of the perks of being a royal guest he reminded himself as he lay in bed. He was already packed up and ready to leave. He just needed to get some sleep. He was just about there too when someone knocked at his door. It was Luna. It was nighttime. What was she doing here?

“H-hello, Spike,” She said shyly, “I know it is late and that you have had a long day, but I wanted to stop by and give you this.”

She pulled a mirror out from behind her and handed it to Spike. He took it and examined it carefully. It was beautiful. It was circular in shape with an intricate frame around it. It depicted stars and crescent moons and at the top was Luna herself. The entire thing was a dark blue almost purple color. It matched Luna's coat perfectly. Nowhere near as beautiful as she was though. The mirror itself was darker than most mirrors he had seen. The surface was almost black and he could not see himself in it at all. He was confused at this.

“It is called a Night Calling Mirror,” Luna explained, “It is an artifact from many centuries ago. From before I became Nightmare Moon. I used these a lot tocommunicate with other ponies in Equestria. Just hold the mirror up, think of the pony you want to see and say 'The night calls you' and say the name of that pony. I have a big one in the corner of my chambers. A mirror, not a pony.”

With that said, Luna left Spike with his own mirror. She walked down the castle corridors with a rather sad look on her face. She really was going to miss Spike. Is this what Twilight felt like when Spike left her? She had known him a lot longer than Luna had, but still Luna had become good friends with him in the short time that she knew him. She came up on her doors and put a straight face on for the guards. She had a reputation to uphold and more importantly she did not want any rumors spreading around about her recent mood swings. That would be embarrassing. She entered her chambers and saw her mirror acting up. A dark swirling ring of smoke had appeared in the middle. It dissipated to reveal Spike's face much to Luna's surprise. He saw her standing there and his face turned a bright red.

“I was just testing it out,” He managed to say after a few seconds of awkward silence, “And I don't know how to turn it off.”

“It is simple,” Luna said between laughs, “Just say 'The night releases you,' and my name.”

Spike did as she said and the swirling ring of black smoke returned and concealed Spike's face. This time when it dissipated Spike's face was no longer there. The connection was cut off. Luna had been happy to see Spike for that very short time. It would be the last time she would hear from him for a while. Smoke Shadow was going with him. He was determined to teach Spike dragon magic and the Crystal Empire was good for that apparently. Luna did not know much on the subject. Just the little that Smoke Shadow had told her. As night came she did her duty. She watched over the ponies of Equestria. It was an average night. She helped a few ponies with their troubles as they slept. As the night was coming to an end she peeked in on Spike's dreams. They were dreams that night, and not nightmares. She was happy to see that. She did not stay long. Just long enough to see that Spike was okay.

The next day was the day Spike left. A few ponies helped him with the few bags of luggage he had. He had a backpack, though, that he kept on him at all times. It contained his most precious items. He checked it night before he left. It had Fluttershy's record, Rainbow Dash's autographed picture, the special PAD jacket that Rarity made for him, Pinkie Pie's random box, and now it also had Luna's mirror. He had already eaten all of Applejack's tasty treats.

Smoke Shadow had visited him in his room before he left. He would not be traveling by train with Spike. He did not say why. He just informed Spike that he also had a small Night Calling Mirror and that he could be reached at any time. He also said that he would see Spike at the platform in the Crystal Kingdom. Spike would be traveling alone again. It would be a longer trip than he was used to. Taking the train from Canterlot to the Crystal Empire took much longer than it did from Ponyville. Celestia had given him a few books to read as a going away gift at the feast. He was excited to read them. He already had one picked out. It was quite the spectacle as he left the castle. Both Celestia and Luna were at the main gates waving him goodbye. Several of the castle staff were also there to see him off. He got really nervous with this kind of attention. He knew it would be worse when he got to the Crystal Empire. All of the crystal ponies treated him like some kind of hero. He was, but the public attention always made him nervous. And with Shadow around being in the public eye was the last thing he needed. But he was ready for it. So he boarded the train and was off for another adventure.