• Published 21st Jul 2014
  • 5,200 Views, 807 Comments

A Repentant Draconequus on the Equestrian Throne - DungeonMiner



Pendragon Alan Goldenhoof, after saving Equestria twice over, must now sit idly by as his world is destroyed piece by agonizing piece.

  • ...
35
 807
 5,200

3-A Pink Wedding

Chapter 3

“Oh today’s the day!” Pinkie sang. “Today’s the day! Today’s the best day of all days! Oh, how I’d love to be in that city, on today-ay of all days!”

Alan listened to Pinkie’s fourth rendition of “When the Saints” as they all sat in the train car, riding towards Canterlot.

Today was the day she had been waiting for for the past year. Today was her wedding day.

As she hummed the tune to herself for the hundredth time, Rarity was already working on fixing up Pinkie’s mane. Getting that thing under control was going to be an all-day chore, and she knew it.

“Pinkie, Darling, I need you to sit still, please,” she said, begging the pink ball of energy to sit still.

It was like arguing with a thunderstorm.

“I’m sorry, Rarity! But I’m just so excited! And nervous! Nervicited, even! I’ve never had a wedding party thrown for me, before! What if I mess it up?”

“Pinkie,” Twilight said, comforting the pink pony while holding her sleeping son, “I don’t think you can mess up as the bride.” She smiled. “I should know, Alan died during our wedding and it turned out fine.”

Alan glanced over at her. “Did you just hold the fact that I died against me?”

“It really ruins a dream wedding when the groom dies,” Twilight answered in a deadpan.

“Well excuse me,” Alan grumbled.

The other stallions smiled and chuckled, amused.

Soarin sat on the other side of the train car, opposite Pinkie, separated for the duration, and had a massive smile on his face. “Well, when you put it that way, all I need to do is not die and I’ll be golden.”

The crowd laughed.

“Another word out of you, Soarin, and we’re going to have a sparring match,” Alan said, before threatening, “and I will not go easy on you.”

“Oh, lighten up, Al,” Silver said. “He gets a few jabs today, wouldn’t you say?”

Alan shook his head. “Fine, fine,” he muttered before turning to look at his son. He smiled as he watched him, cuddled up in his blankets.

“Not to change the subject entirely,” Spike said, breaking the silence, “but I’m going to change the subject entirely, what is that you two kept saying you were going to do?”

Twilight groaned. “Spike! This is the third time we’ve told you. We're going to stop by Shining’s to see him, Cadence, and our niece, as well as to drop off Orion.”

“Joking about ruining the wedding aside,” Alan said, “we’d feel incredibly guilty if he woke up crying during the ceremony.”

“So you’re pulling his uncle into foalsitting?” Thunderlane asked.

“He deserves it,” Alan muttered. “Especially after he did the same.”

Twilight chuckled. “Alright, alright, that’s enough Al. So anyway, we’ll meet up with you guys a little bit before the ceremony.”

“Ooh! Ooh!” Pinkie said, waving her arm in the air.

Alan smiled. “We’ll bring some doughnuts.”

“Yes!”

<<<|Ω|>>>

Alan and Twilight took only a moment or two to locate Shining and Cadence’s apartment.

To be fair, it wasn’t hard. It was the only building that had a portable throne room next to it.

True, being in Canterlot did mean that she wasn’t going to be called on for court very often, but there was always somepony that needed to make a desperate appeal.

Alan knocked smartly on the door, his eyes scanning the tented throne room. Two guards flanked a wooden throne, a carefully carved heart sitting above it. Other than that, there were no trappings or decorations, just the throne and a pink tent.

The door opened before Alan could investigate further, and was instantly meet with that excited screech that only a woman could do.

“Twilight!” Princess Cadence greeted.

“Hey Cadence!” Twilight said before the alicorn quickly grabbed her and began kissing her cheeks with short, quick pecks. First the left, then the right.

“Careful, Principessa,” Alan warned, “your Bitalian is showing.”

The princess scoffed, waving a hoof. “I don’t get to give my baci anymore, let me have this,” she said before repeating the custom to Alan.

“Wait...what now?” Twilight asked.

Baci,” Alan explained. “It’s how mares greet ponies in Bitaly. Stallions shake hoofs, mare give kisses.”

“Shining!” Cadence called as she lead the two in, “Shining, your sister’s here!”

“Twily?” Shining asked, poking his head out of the kitchen. “Twily! You’re here!”

“Hi, Shining,” she said with a smile, lifting the excitedly babbling Orion up and out of the way as the siblings hugged.

“What are you two doing here?”

“Pinkie’s getting married today,” Alan explained.

“Wait, really?” Shining asked. “I thought we would have been invited to that.”

Everypony was invited,” the two deadpanned in unison.

“The post office has been flooded with invitations for the past week” Twilight continued, “It's alright though. There's no way that everypony could fit into the chapel anyway.”

“Besides,” Alan said, “it’s best that you two sit this one out.”

“We need someone to watch Orion for us,” Twilight explained.

“Um…” Shining began.

“Oh,” Cadence said, “so you’ve brought Orion over to see his cousin Skyla…”

“Um…”

Cadence took Orion from Twilight, nuzzling the little colt, who laughed. “How is my favorite nephew?”

“Um…” Shining interjected.

“Although...” Cadence said, holding the baby up next to her, “I think it’s only appropriate that I should be there at the wedding, give a blessing, especially after everything Pinkie did for my reception. So...is there anyway that I could go?”

“You could have Shining watch them,” Twilight suggested.

“UM!” Shining all but yelled.

“Sounds wonderful!” Cadence said.

“Cadence! Honey!” Shining said behind a really wide smile. “Don’t you remember the last time I had to watch them both?”

“Oh, you’re just overreacting, dear,” she said, handing Orion off to him, before grabbing her tiara. “I won’t be long, honey. You know how weddings are, short ceremony, and a long reception.”

“But I—”

“I’ll be back soon!” Cadence said, already out the door.

It shut behind her, leaving Shining alone with his nephew.

“Um...Hi, Orion...it’s me, your Uncle Shining! You like your Uncle Shining don’t you? You and Skyla don’t want to team up against me, do you?”

“Wala!”

“Is that a yes?”

Shining then noticed a small pink ball of fluff crawl into the room.

Skyla was a young alicorn filly with a pink and yellow mane, much like her mother, with pink fur and her father’s blue eyes.

She took one look at the room, saw her cousin, and her father, and got a big, evil grin on her face.

Orion saw his cousin, and shared the look.

Shining looked between them both, and got a sinking feeling in his stomach.

<<<|Ω|>>>

“You know, it occurs to me, Princess,” Alan said as the three of them walked side by side, “I’ve never seen you with any servants or anything, is there a reason for that?”

“Other than the fact that my Empire has been sealed away to who-knows-where for the past thousand years?” she asked.

“Uh…”

She gave a soft smile. “It’s alright. No, there were no servants outside the Empire when it fell.”

“How did it fall?” Twilight asked.

“Do you want the long version or the…” she glanced back at Twilight. “Nevermind, I’ll give you the short version.”

Alan chuckled.

“So, the Empire was essentially destroyed by a single pony,” Cadence began. “His name was Sombra. A creature of hatred and cunning, he laid siege to the empire for three days before he managed to steal the Crystal Heart.”

“Crystal Heart?” Twilight asked, eyes wide in interest.

Cadence smirked as she saw that familiar spark of curiosity in her sister-in-law’s eyes. “A perfect blue crystal,” she explained, “a crystal said to have been blessed by Faust herself to hold but a fraction of her love for her creation. Sombra knew that the power of the crystal would unmake him, so he stole it, hiding it somewhere until he could take the Empire by force.

“Once he had control of the castle, my family retreated. We would have taken another one of the servant families with us, but they stayed behind to try and distract Sombra from noticing our escape. Even our most loyal family, House Shade, stayed behind to help us make our escape.”

“Ah,” Alan said in understanding, “so that’s what happened.”

The princess nodded and continued. “When my family came here, they quickly told Celestia and Luna about the problem. They quickly left for the Empire, the Elements of Harmony in tow.”

“And down comes the rainbow beam of doom,” Alan said. “The End.”

“Sadly, no,” Cadence said. “The Elements were not enough.”

Alan stumbled and stuttered. “Wait, what?! The Elements, the Elements of Harmony were not enough?”

Cadence shook her head. “Sombra had found a way to work around them. The Elements failed.”

Alan blinked.

“In the end, it took their combined power to seal Sombra away, but, again, Sombra had beaten them. He had found a way to link his fate with that of the Empire. If he was sealed, then so was the Empire.”

Twilight stood, mouth agape. “Wow...so this Sombra beat both Luna, Celestia, and the Elements?”

Cadence nodded.

“And none of your subjects escaped?” Alan asked.

The Princess did not answer immediately. For a moment, she simply stared off into the distance, far to the North. “No,” she said finally. “Not one escaped his hatred.”

<<<|Ω|>>>

The three ponies walked up the castle steps, promised box of doughnuts in tow. They were quickly recognized by the guards and lead past the large line of confused ponies, all holding a pink invitation, and wondering why they had been called to the castle that day.

“Princess,” the guard greeted, saluting. “Ma’am, Sir.”

“At ease,” Alan replied.

“That’s a lot of security,” Cadence noted.

“Alan decided to bump it up a bit,” Twilight said, “after all, Canterlot doesn’t have the best reputation when it comes to weddings now.”

Cadence laughed for a second. “That’s terrible.”

“Still,” Alan said, his face going serious, “Pinkie is a general, and Soarin’s a wonderbolt. I don’t really want to take chances on that.”

“Both high-priority targets,” Twilight agreed. “Better safe than sorry.”

Cadence shook her head, smiling. “You two…”

“What?” they asked in unison.

She just shook her head and kept going.

The two ponies looked at each other. “What?”

Shrugging, they continued on, into the foyer of the castle.

“Cadence, Alan, Twilight!” a royal voice called to them. “There you are!”

The Pendragon turned his head, and saw Celestia and Luna standing off to the side. Alan smiled at the sight of them. “Your Majesty,” he greeted, giving them a short bow.

“I was wondering where you had gone to,” she said with a smile. “How are you three doing?”

“Doing well, your Majesty,” Alan answered. “We were just dropping off Orion at Shining’s house.”

“Aw...and I was hoping to see him again,” she said before smiling. “I trust you’ll rectify this, Sir Alan?”

“Absolutely,” Alan replied.

Celestia gave a gentle laugh. “I’m actually glad I found you here, Alan, I have something to tell you.”

“Yes, Princess? Is something wrong?”

“No, no,” she said, “It’s simply a message from my nephew Blueblood.”

“Oh…” Alan said, sounding ever-so-slightly disgusted.

“He has been questioning his own identity, and gone off to do some soul searching. However, in the meantime, he wanted me to deliver his apology to you and Rarity for his behavior.”

“And he didn’t give it to me in person?” Alan asked.

“I don’t know where he is,” Celestia explained. “All I know is that he is sorry enough to apologize, and for a pony with his pride, that is a great step.”

Alan gave a hesitant nod. “Fair enough.”

“You do not need to forgive him, Alan, but he has done his part, and that’s all that can be asked of him. If you are alright with him being in the right over you, so be it. For now, however, I believe we have a wedding to get to,” she said, before nodding forward.

Alan grumbled. “Fine, he is forgiven,” he said, turning to head towards the chapel. “But if he doesn’t change, I’m going to slap him around with the flat of my sword.”

“Alan…” Twilight scolded.

Cadence laughed.

The three ponies went on ahead, the Princesses falling behind.

Luna turned toward her sister. “I fear for him, sister. His visions are replacing his dreams, he is almost beyond my reach entirely now.”

“He will pull through, Luna. I’m sure of it. Mother would not give him those dreams to torture him.”

Luna nodded. “I know...but...still, this worries me. He submitted himself to my protection, but his dreamspace has almost faded to oblivion. Much further, and I will fail to safeguard him.”

“Don’t worry, Lu, Alan will be just fine.”

<<<|Ω|>>>

“Do you, Soarin,” Celestia said, as the wedding ceremony began to close, “take this mare, whose hoof you hold, to be your lawful wedded wife; and do you pledge before all of ponykind to love, honor, and protect her through sunshine and shadow alike; keeping yourself unto her alone until death shall separate you?”

“I do,” Soarin said, with a smile, dressed in his formal uniform with his medals adorning his chest. His feathers were preened to perfection, and his smile shone with happiness and pride.

Behind him, on his side of the aisle, sat the Wonderbolts, his mother, father, and a massive load of other invited guests.

“Do you, Pinkamena Diane Pie, take this stallion, whose hoof you hold, to be your lawful wedded husband; and do you pledge before all of ponykind to be to him a loving and true wife, through sunshine and shadow alike, keeping yourself unto him alone, until death shall separate you?”

“Yesarooni, Princess Celly!” Pinkie answered, dressed in her white dress with a pink sash, the hem decorated with brightly-colored hard candy. Her mane was straight, but still had all of the bounce it normally held, and was done up in a nice bun.

The Pie family sat behind her, faces impassive, but approving, if Soarin had to guess.

“I’ll take that as an ‘I do,’” The Princess replied. “Then by the power enthroned in me, by the power of Faust, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss your bride.”

Pinkie all but launched herself forward, kissing him with gusto.

Soarin’s side of the aisle broke into applause, and cheers, as well as the ponies behind the Pies.

Pinkie’s family gave a gentle applause.

Alan smiled. “Went off without a hitch…”

He frowned. “Or did it go off with one hitch...since they...got...hitched…”

“What are you talking about?” Twilight said in his ear, having heard him over the noise.

“Nevermind.”

<<<|Ω|>>>

The reception was in full swing. Everywhere ponies were eating, dancing, laughing, and so much more as Vinyl and Octavia continued to work on their medley of classical and electronica music.

It was a reception that made Pinkie proud.

She stood in the middle of the hall, a smile as wide as a mile on her. Her hair was starting to loosen now, wild strands of hair rebelling and sticking out in random directions.

Soarin stood next to her, and gave her a kiss. “Was it everything you wanted?”

“Well…” Pinkie said. tapping her chin. “I really wish more ponies had shown up, but I don’t really mind today.”

“Yeah?” Soarin asked.

Pinkie smiled. “Yeah, because I have everything I need right here,” she said, tapping his chest.

Soarin smiled. “That cake over there sure does help though, right?” he asked motioning towards their wedding cake.

“Hm?” she asked, looking ever-so-slightly guilty.

“Don’t give me that,” Soarin said. “I’ve watched you eye that cake all day.”

Pinkie looked off into the distance, looking very guilty now.

“I was afraid you were going to marry him,” he said with a chuckle before kissing her again.

Pinkie smiled in return. “I’d hate to marry a cake. I’d never get to eat him.”

Soarin shook his head. “Come on,” he said, “We can’t have Ponyville’s Professional Party Pony sit out of her reception.”

She smiled as Soarin led them into the party, as the Wonderbolts flew overhead, writing in the sky with smoke trails. “Congratulations, Soarin and Pinkie!” they wrote happily, with hearts dotting the ‘i’s.

A song began to thrum over the speakers as the two passed the dance floor. Soarin looked up, and saw Alan standing next to the DJ’s set up, small white device in hoof.

The pegasus smiled. “You know what? Let’s take a detour.”

Before Pinkie could even blink, Soarin pulled her to the side, and directly into the middle of the dancing masses, just as the song started.

“Breathe and I'll carry you away into the velvet sky

And we'll stir the stars around

And watch them fall away into the Hudson Bay

And plummet out of sight and sound

The open summer breeze will sweep you through the hills

Where I live in the alpine heights

Below the Northern Lights, I spend my coldest nights

Alone, awake and thinking of...the weekend we were in love.”

As Owl City’s On the Wing played through the hall, Soarin spun Pinkie in a wild dance.

It took her half a second before she adjusted.

Dancing in a mind-bendingly slow tango, the two ponies glided across the floor, weaving through the crowd with ludicrous ease.

Alan wondered if Pinkie powers got transferred through marriage.

“I am floating away

Lost in a silent ballet

I'm dreaming you're out in the blue and I am right beside you

Awake to take in the view

Late nights and early parades

Still photos and noisy arcades

My darling, we're both on the wing, look down and keep on singing!

And we can go anywhere

Are you there?

Are you there, or are you just a decoy dream in my head?

Am I home or am I simply tumbling all alone?”

Soarin smiled as he danced, staring into Pinkie’s sky blue eyes.

It was almost as if he had never left Cloudsdale.

“Late nights and early parades

Still photos and noisy arcades

My darling, we're both on the wing, look down and keep on singing!

And we can go anywhere

Are you there?”

<<<|Ω|>>>

As the party wound down, the guests began to leave, heading home after wishing the newly weds well.

Cheese Sandwich, if you asked, would have taken one look at the sight, and said his work here was done. He then would have smiled as he left, hat on his head, and boneless rubber chicken riding his back.

Pinkie thought it was perfect.

Later in the evening, the Pie sisters had even gotten together for a bit of a reunion tour, producing an electric guitar, bass, and drum set from seemingly nowhere and rocking as though there was no tomorrow.

Soarin was pleasantly surprised to see that Pinkie rocking in a wedding dress looked rather sexy, even with her hair back to normal, having snapped whatever hair accessories Rarity had used to keep it in a bun.

Now it was only the thirteen; Alan and the guys, Twilight and the girls, and Cadence.

“Alright, alright,” Alan said, as he helped a guard clean up, “it’s time for us to go home now.”

“Aw...do we have to?” Pinkie asked.

Soarin whispered something into her ear.

“Oh, right! Can’t forget that part!”

Twilight shook her head.

“Hello, my little ponies,” Celestia’s voice called, and the small group turned to watch her approach.

“Princess,” Alan and the others greeted.

“Well Pinkie, was it everything you wanted?” she asked.

“And more,” Pinkie said with a smile.

“I’m happy to hear it. It’s nice for a wedding to go well in Canterlot for a change.”

Soarin snickered.

“If I may,” Celestia continued, “may I escort you down to the train station? It has been a while since I’ve taken a walk through Canterlot.”

Alan took a quick look around, and when he saw nopony objecting, he agreed. “We’d be honored.”

Celestia smiled and they all began heading for the main doors of the palace.

“Thank you all, really,” Celestia said as she walked, “for all the things you have done for us, you deserve more than what you’re getting.”

“Ah, shoot,” Applejack said, “I don’t mind none, I prefer it this way truth be told.”

Celestia nodded and gave a soft smile as she approached the door. “True, and that is perhaps our only saving grace, nonetheless—” She stopped as she opened the door, and all eyes went wide at the sight before them.

On the steps of Canterlot Palace lay a long, snake-like figure.

Four limbs, each one unique, lay sprawled in all directions, unmoving.

Ragged breaths escaped an equine head, before the draconequus slowly lifted his head up to see the Princess staring down at him, mouth agape.

Discord looked up at her, and she was surprised to see the two cerulean orbs that were his eyes meet her own.

And then, in a soft, weak voice, he whispered two words.

“Help...me…”

--------------------------------

All aboard the crazy train. Choo-choo!

“Um…”

As in “it’s about to get crazy up in here!”

“Sure…”

Anyway, guys, let me know what you think. Go ahead and start giving me your crazy (and more often than not, incorrect) theories about what’s happening, they always make me smile.

“Quick Question, what's with the chapter title?"

Huh? Oh, that. Yeah, that's just to make the readers sweat a bit.

"You're weird."

I''m a writer.

“Anyway, we’ll see you all next time, bye!”

Bye!