• Published 11th Jul 2014
  • 15,947 Views, 408 Comments

Becoming one with the Moon - ParaNomaly



This vast universe of ours is filled with countless wonders, opportunities, and scientific miracles. Two humans, oblivious to such things, will soon come face to face with things far beyond their comprehension.

  • ...
73
 408
 15,947

Chapter 14

"Does this often happen around here?"

Now, I shouldn't have been surprised really. Chocolate rain did seem a little less intense than the shit I've gone through this week. But it gave off an odd.. feeling if you can even call it that. A feeling of discomfort, if you will.

"No, it doesn't... It even wasn't supposed to rain until tomorrow!" Twilight exclaimed as she turned around and trotted over to one of her many bookshelves. Her horn started glowing as a large book gently levitated down in front of her face and opened itself. I could see her reading something for a couple of seconds before she suddenly slammed the book closed.

"But don't worry, I have a quick spell that'll solve this problem right up, come on Spike!" She teleported to the door and motioned for Spike to follow her, a command which he grumpily accomplished as he set his comic down on the stairs and jogged over to Twilight.

"You two stay here, I'll be back in no time!" She yelled to us and closed the door once Spike was outside. I stood there until I could no longer hear the sound of her hooves hitting the dirt road as she and her little sidekick went off to do god knows what with that book.

"The hell was that about?" I asked as I turn around to look at Carl, which had gotten a bit more comfortable on the couch once I left.

"Your guess is as good as mine. " She replied as she put her forelegs behind her head and leaned back.

"Shouldn't we try to help them out or something?" I said as I made my way over to the chair Twilight was sitting on. Although a tad small, It managed to hold my fat ass up pretty well as I sat on it.

"We may have magic, or whatever. But we don't know how to use it, now do we? Unless you spent all your time here farming up some XP and leveling up your magika." She smirked and closed her eyes.

"Your Skyrim references aren't very appreciated right now." I shot her a glare, even if she couldn't see it.

"Alright, alright. Let me rephrase it; Unless you spent your entire time learning how to do magic decently, I don't think we'll be of much help."

I opened my mouth to retaliate but closed it soon after. Knowing she was probably right.

"Well, why don't we make ourselves useful and use some of these books to learn more about magic? It beats doing nothing." I mused as my gaze drifted over to the extensive collection of books about magic in Twilight's possession. Now that I think about it, that Pony has a weird obsession with magic, I know it's a library and all, but I swear I've seen her read the same book like, three times over!

"What about those guards that were outside? I saw them on your way in." She asked as she opened her eyes and sat up straight, now looking towards the door.

I simply shrugged and got up, making my way towards the magic section of the library. "When I looked out the window, they weren't there. I assumed they left after I was dropped off."

She looked like she was about to question it further, but seemed to give up with a shrug of her own.

"Hey, come over here and read this, maybe you'll get some knowledge into that empty cavern you call your head." I chuckled slightly at my joke and grabbed one of the books about basic magic spells and handed it to Carl, who had finally decided to get off her lazy ass and do something for a change. She rolled her eyes at me and snatched the book out of my hooves before going back to the couch and getting herself comfortable once.

"Give me one hour, and I guarantee that I'll be doing some expert level shit without even breaking a sweat!" She sounded pretty sure of herself, but in reality, I would be surprised if she read the first few pages of the book and paid attention to it.

"Right, when pigs fly." I dismissed her statement and grabbed another magic book, this one a little bit more advanced than the one Carl had. If the titles are anything to go by.

'Magic for fillies/colts.' Yeah, it made me feel a lot better about myself, didn't it?

If Carl did retaliate with a snarky comment of her own, I certainly didn't hear it. Since as soon as I had gotten the book, I walked upstairs and went directly into Twilight's room. I was sure she wouldn't mind if I just laid on her bed until she came back. Now you may be thinking to yourself that it's rude to use someone else's bed without their actual permission. But from the little time I've known that small purple pony, I doubt she would mind in the first place.

I laid back on the bed and sighed, enjoying the soft bed sheets for a couple of seconds before turning my attention back to the book. I cracked it open and started reading the first page."This doesn't seem that hard to understand. Then again it's meant for kids, not fully grown adults. I'll have this magic thing down in no time!" I thought to myself as a large boost of self-confidence flowed through me. I was fucking ready for that book, and it knew it. Even though I could not feel it physically, I knew the book was trembling metaphorically in its boots. In fear of my great knowledge and understanding!



Alright, It turned out this wasn't so easy after all.


After the first few pages, it started to get a lot more complicated. Even going as far as using words I've never heard before! And I bet they existed on Earth as well, but I was too much of an ignorant fuck ever to use most "intelligent" words. The ones that make you sound smart but in reality, you're probably dumb as a rock? Yeah, those.

At least Carl should be faring better, the book I gave her was just about basic levitation and other minor things. I'm sure Twilight would have done the same.

"Speaking of Twilight, it's been like 20 minutes already. Where is she?" I muttered to myself as I got up and went over to the balcony to see if I could spot Twilight.

Instead, what I saw made me question the laws of physics even further.

"Jesus Christ, what the fuck happened?"

I expected to come up to the balcony and see just an ordinary everyday town, you know? But instead what I got was a scene that looked like a thousand piece jigsaw puzzle was glued together in haste and sprinkled with pieces from other puzzles to make the ultimate clusterfuck.

Most buildings were upside down, the hills behind the buildings looked like checkerboards, the roads looked like they were made of soap if the bubbles on the side were any indication. And everything else was either an assortment of the same things mentioned combined or something entirely different.

Did I mention that there were dancing buffaloes and stampedes of bunnies with incredibly long legs?

"Uh, Carl?" I called out as I took a few steps away from the balcony.

"Yeah?" I heard Carl say from downstairs.

"Look out a window, will you?"

"What? Why?"

"Just do it. I'll be down in a second." I glanced back to the outside for a few more seconds before walking out of Twilight's room and made my way down the stairs.

I lowered my head a bit to get a quicker glimpse of the library as I carefully walked down the stairs, trying to spot Carl and see if he had listened to me for once. And sure enough, she was standing in front of the window with an utterly confused expression.

Once I reached the bottom of the stairs using my expert walking skills, I quickly made my way towards the same window Carl was looking out of and stood next to her.

"Did you even bother to pay attention to the outside once Twilight left?" I said to Carl, my gaze still fixed on the scene in front of us.

"Uh... Not really, I was busy reading the book... And I figured it was probably some random thing that would come and pass in like, ten minutes or so." She replied as she took a few steps back before turning around and heading back towards the couch.

"Shouldn't we be... You know, a bit concerned?" I added as I watched her go back go the couch and sit back down.

"Eh, A little. But I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sides, what's the worst that can happen?" She assured me and picked up the book she was previously reading.

"Do you love always jinxing us?" I glared at her as I turned my body to face her.

"Jinxing isn't real; it's just a stupid made up thing fueled by coincidences. All we have to do is wait for Twilight to come back and explain what's going on. And then, if it's something serious, we panic." She casually opened the book back up and began reading where she previously left off.

I sighed and walked back towards the stairs, stopping at the base to look back at Carl.

"When Twilight arrives, call me. I seriously want to know what the hell is going on out there." Carl replies with a dismissive wave of her hoof. Taking that as an acknowledgment, I made my way back up the stairs and entered Twilight's room. I closed the door behind me and went over to the balcony. I stood there for a few seconds as I looked out at the ridiculous show unfolding right outside of the library.

"This is not how I expected to spend my weekend.."

I sighed and flopped down on the bed behind me. With nothing else to do other than continuing to read the book that was beside me on the bed, I simply decided to wait until Twilight finally returned.



After another half hour passed by, I was getting quite impatient, to say the least. Especially since things had only gotten worse out there. The buildings, along with their foundations and even large chunks of dirt underneath them were now floating in the sky, with the sun and the moon rising and lowering themselves every few seconds, and even the animals have gotten crazier! They were taking completely different shapes and sizes that referenced shows and movies back from Earth. I could have sworn I even saw a giant Gorilla dragging around a little foal.

All of this made one thing very clear.


I needed to find Twilight.


Now.

Whatever 'spell' she went off to cast likely didn't work, had only made it worse, or had completely backfired and injured her in some way. And since she was the only pony I knew, apart from the Princesses, that used advanced magic, she was likely the only way or knew the only way to fix this mess.

With my mind made up, I quickly turned tail and headed towards the door with only one goal in mind; Find Twilight, fix bullshit, go back to the castle and sleep until next week in those comfy ass beds they have.

If only it had been as easy as that.

Once I had reached the door, I swiftly opened and made my way down the flight of stairs, a little bit slower as to not fall.

"Carl, you still there?" I called out as I reached the bottom of the stairs and looked towards where Carl was last time I had seen her.

"I'm over here in the kitchen!" She replied from another room, presumably the kitchen.

"What? You better not be making something!" I said as I looked around for the door to the kitchen, spotting it shortly after near one of the bookshelves underneath the stairs.

'What a weird place for a kitchen' I thought to myself as I stared at the oddly placed room for a few more seconds before shaking my head and went over to it. I opened it and was quickly met with Carl, holding a cooking book awkwardly with one hoof, and with a large wooden spoon on the other.

I opened my mouth to speak, but before I could say anything, I was quickly interrupted by Carl.

"Before you say anything, I'll have you know that I haven't eaten in almost an entire day. I was going to order a Pizza when I got to our apartment, but then all of... This happened. Aren't you a tiny bit hungry?"

I slowly closed my mouth and let my stare wander upwards in thought, before returning to her.

"Well... No, actually. The last thing I ate was a sandwich at lunch back at work, but that was at least four hours after we called it a night. And it's been one day since that took place. So technically I should be hungry, but I'm not. Maybe it's because of these new bodies?"

"Probably, but I'm fucking starving here. So I decided to try and make myself something to eat." Carl said as she went back to reading the cooking book.

"Well, eat an apple or something. Because we're going to look for Twilight." I replied as I walked up to the counter and knocked the book out of her grasp and took the spoon, placing it back down on the counter itself.

"Hey!" Carl began, but I quickly cut her off by grabbing an apple from a nearby basket and presenting it to her.

"Eat it."

Carl scowled at me before staring down at the apple for a few short seconds. She slowly took the apple with one of her hooves and brought it up to her mouth, taking a bit bite of it as soon as it was within reach.

"Fine, but afterward you're making the food, not me." She said with a mouthful of apple.

"We both know I'm the better cook anyways." I retaliated with a smirk as Carl glared at me. I ignored the glare and turned around, heading out of the kitchen with Carl in tow.

"Okay, let's try not to get separated, all right? Hopefully, if the ponies see us they'll assume we're just another trick or thing made by whatever the hell is responsible for this." I said as I reached the front door, looking back at Carl who only replied with a half nod, still stuffing her mouth with another apple she had taken from the basket in the kitchen counter.

"Alright, let's go." I hesitated for a second as I looked down at the doorknob, not entirely sure if going outside was a good idea. But I decided that we had no other choice apart from sitting on our asses and waiting for Twilight to come back, if she ever came back. Thus I opened the door and took my first steps outside.



Seeing the chaos up close was a lot weirder than seeing it from the relative safety of the library. It looked Unsettling to me, as if there was a presence of every little bit of this fucked up town, watching our every move. Needless to say, I wasn't the only one experiencing this.

"This... Doesn't feel right, David. Maybe we should turn back." Carl nervously voiced out as we continued to walk through the checkerboard-style streets of Ponyville.


Turning back had begun to sound quite appealing at this point. With every step we took, the feeling of being watched continued to grow to the point that we both started to become paranoid.

"I guess... But what about Twilight? We waited for like, an hour and she still hadn't returned!" I said as I cautiously looked around in front of me.

"And what if she's dead, and whatever killed her is going to fucking murder us once it sees us?!" She practically shouted, which prompted me to stop and glare back at her.

"Dude, lower your fucking voice... I don't want anything that could be out here to hear us. And stop over reacting, she could have just been trapped or lost. Not dead." I told her as I kept my glare.

Carl sighed and shook her head.

"Look, I'm sorry for yelling. This strange feeling of being watched is getting to me... But I still think we should turn back, it's been twenty minutes, and we haven't seen a single soul out here. If we continue, we'll just end up getting lost ourselves."

"We have wings, don't we? If we get lost, we can just fly back." I replied.

"I have no idea on how to use these things though. And I'm not sure if flying would be a good idea, to be honest. I'd rather not risk it." She added.

I opened my mouth to counter her argument but soon realized that she was right. There was no telling where Twilight could be if she even were inside the town anymore.

"I... I guess you're right. Maybe we sho-"

Before I could continue, a large rainbow-colored blast swept across the sky, reverting everything back to its original status. The floating buildings fell, and the roads returned to their original composition. All within the span of a few seconds.

"-uld... Head back? What the hell?" I said, perplexed at the events that had just transpired.

"Huh, Everything looks... Normal again. And that feeling is gone as well. Do you think it was Twilight who fixed it?" Carl guessed as she looked around, observing the changing environment.

"Could be. Let's go back and find out what the hell just happened." I responded as we both turned back around the way we came.

"That was rather pointless, wasn't it?" Carl said as she walked beside me.

"Well, how could we have guessed that everything would be spontaneously fixed a little over twenty minutes after we left?" I countered.

Carl's response was to simply shrug and continue walking, leaving me alone with my own thoughts in the meantime.

She might have stopped getting the feeling of being watched, but I sure as hell didn't.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long wait, I was kind of busy for a while. On the bright side, I did go back and fix up a lot of shit in the previous chapters. And this is my longest chapter yet. I had originally planned to include discord, but I gave up after not being able to write him correctly. Sad times.