• Published 11th Jul 2014
  • 15,890 Views, 408 Comments

Becoming one with the Moon - ParaNomaly



This vast universe of ours is filled with countless wonders, opportunities, and scientific miracles. Two humans, oblivious to such things, will soon come face to face with things far beyond their comprehension.

  • ...
73
 408
 15,890

Prologue

It all started when I was at work, typing away at my computer with a nice, warm cup of coffee at my side. As I looked around, I spotted my friend James head into the boss’s office. My curiosity grew because James rarely went in there, but I brushed it off as nothing important at the time. It was probably something concerning the broken vending machine; James usually fixes them when they break down around here.

After I'd say, about four minutes, things seemed to start getting heated in there. I decided to go over and check out what was going on, I've seen almost five people go in there in less than half an hour. I didn't think much of it at the time either, but now I’m sure there's something important going on in there. I slowly stood up from my desk and walked over to the front of my boss's office, looking around before I laid my ear against the door.

"B- but, Sir, I need this Job! Without it, I won’t be able to afford rent or feed my family!" James cried out in despair, hoping that the angry man will give him another chance.

"No buts, James! Every single day you arrive late and proceed to do absolutely nothing with yourself!" He growled out as he shook his head. At that point James was on his knees, begging to be given another chance. I turned away from the door again and noticed almost everyone in the small office was around me, listening in on the private conversation too. They had probably heard James screaming and decided to check in on him. Not that I blame them, I was here for the same reason.

Turning my attention back towards the conflict between James and the Mr. Cena, I noticed that the boss was on the phone with a worried tone in his voice, even though their voices were muffled by the door I could still hear what he was saying.

"What do you mean he couldn’t make it? I thought he was already here in California!" He sighed and looked down at his desk “I’m sorry to hear that, I’ll get right on it.” He placed the phone back on his desks and stood up. Pushing his chair in, he walked around his desk and made his way to the glass office door and opened it. "James, I need you to exit my office." He said in a stern and slightly tired voice.

"Sir, I really can’t lose this job, my fami- " James stuttered out before being interrupted by Mr. Cena.

"Due to a turn of unforeseen events, your replacement will not be arriving. Consider yourself lucky" He gestured towards the open door. "Now get out of my office." James scrambled to his feet and made his way out of the room, the door shutting behind him with a dull thud. Softly crying with relief, James slowly walked back to his desk and slumped down in his seat.

"Hey dude, what the hell happened to him?" I jumped, slightly startled by the man’s sudden appearance.

"Shit, Carl! How many times have I told you not you sneak up on me?" I asked, turning to look at him with an annoyed expression on my face.

"Sorry, didn't mean it. Anyway, what happened to James?" He turned around and gestured at him. He had stopped crying and was now staring at his computer screen, and typing like his life depended on it, which it did.

"He almost got fired, poor guy didn't take it so well," I said as I turned around to look back at Carl, who was still staring at James and had an eyebrow raised for some reason.

"Why was he about to get fired?" He asked, his tone curious and slightly concerned.

"From what I just heard two minutes ago, he is apparently late for work almost every day," I said as I headed back over to my desk and sat down. Carl, who apparently had, even more, questions, followed me there and leaned against the cubicle wall that separated my and someone else's workplace.

"That's a load of bullshit." He said as he shook his head, "He’s the first one to get here every morning when the damn building opens!" He said as he looked back over at James, anger spread over his face

"I dunno, maybe it's because the boss doesn't like him," I said, more of a statement than a question. James and Mr. Cena never got along, but since he was the top employee he usually kept his disdain for the man to himself, but it looks like that changed today.
"How the hell could he not like him!?" Carl said, his voice wrought with disbelief. "Everyone likes James; he’s a great guy! He also has the highest sales record in the entire office." He stated in a matter-of-fact tone.

"As I said, I don't know; maybe it's because of his background or something." Carl looked at me with a confused expression.

"Wait, was he a criminal or something?" Carl glanced back at James for what seemed to be the fourth time in the last ten minutes.

"That's a story for another occasion," I said as I looked at the corner of my computer screen, I was surprised when I saw what time it was. "Looks like the day’s over." I stood up from my chair and picked up the personal belongings I had on my desk, making my way to the exit, I passed the receptionist’s desk on the way out the door and began the walk to my car.
"Hey David, you still up for that game we were going to play at your house tonight?" He called out from the other side of the parking lot, about to step into his vehicle.

"Hell, yeah! See you later tonight." I replied before opening the door and turning the key in the ignition, excited to get home and unwind.



It was beginning to get late as I drove down the empty street. I live a pretty far distance from my place of work, with a small forested area separating my home and the office building. The road I was on cut straight through a portion of the woodland and I was beginning to grow paranoid. There was a large shadow keeping up perfectly with my car. It appeared to be the outline of some sort large animal, but every time I turned to look at it was already at the edge of my field of vision. Being a person who watches and enjoys horror movies, I was understandably paranoid about the ominous shadow.

Being distracted by the shade dancing and moving around just beyond my field of vision, I didn’t notice the dark and creepy thing that appeared in the middle of the road. By the time brought my attention back to the street it was already too late to maneuver around it. Thinking it was an animal I quickly turned the wheel of my car as fast as could, by what seemed to be sheer luck I managed to swerve around the figure. I sighed in relief and quickly looked out the windshield just in time for me to see a tree rapidly approach and smash into my car's bumper. I swear, if I had not been wearing a seatbelt at the time, I would have smashed through the windshield and slam into the tree, probably dying on impact. Luckily, I was wearing my seatbelt, and I was just violently thrust into my steering wheel. While I was losing consciousness I could have sworn I saw the very same shadow that was stalking me of appear right outside the shattered driver-side window.

Author's Note:

Note from the future: I've been trying to fix this chapter up, but with only my shitty phone to work with, its a slow progress, later chapters have much better quality, don't let this one turn you off from the story.