• Published 16th Jun 2014
  • 965 Views, 63 Comments

A Changeling's Riposte - xXSheltieXx



Night Storm is a quiet and mysterious pony, who dislikes speaking about her past and even her current situations. What happens when she finds some pony she can actually trust?

  • ...
4
 63
 965

Three

Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder

Night Storm awoke gently from her sleep, looking out her window. The sun was halfway through its journey already. She got up and off the warm bed and walked into the bathroom, combing her mane a little as she used her magic to turn on the faucet to the tub. She lowered the blinds and made sure the door and window were both locked and sealed, no pony able to see in.

In a flash of green magic, the cobalt blue Unicorn mare was nowhere to be found. In her place was a black colored Changeling with a smoothly curved horn and two bug wings that buzzed ever so lightly. The holes in her hooves bubbled slightly as her legs were encased in warm water. Her clothes a thing of her Changeling magic left her naked in the tub.

She breathed out with a smile. It was warm and comforting in the tub. It felt like a safe haven, like no pony could ever come in, and even if they did, they wouldn't get her. The water in her bath tub would protect her. Night soaked in the water for a little bit before picking up the soap.

She hummed a little tune, her clicks and chirps barely audible. Click... click, chirp... click... click chirp chirp. Click chirp click. The tune went on as she used the soap to wash her chitin and carapace. She fluttered her wings in the water, then let them out of the water to dry. She couldn't fly if her wings were wet.

Night picked up the shampoo and washed what little of a mane she had and then washed it out under the faucet. She got the conditioner in her mane and tail really good and let it soak in for a bit. She blew bubbles with her nose and watched as the soap bubbles flew to the ceiling only to be burst wide open.

The soap fell down onto her head, making her close her eyes. She whimpered like a puppy and put her entire head under the water, washing the soap that threatened to get in her eyes away. She put her head above the water and took a big breath, wiggling her face from side to side, getting the water off her face.

After the water started to get more and more lukewarm, she reluctantly got out of the tub and pulled the drain plug. In a flash of green, she was the cobalt and sea green mare once more. She used her magic to dry off, carrying the towel in her hand to the laundry basket. Night Storm frowned at the basket. It was full.

This was one of her hardest chores: doing the laundry.

Sure, it seemed harmless enough, but Night knew she was wearing a brave face. She glared at the basket as if that would make it run away in fear, but she had no such luck.

"Next time it'll run away." She muttered, picking it up in her magic. "Stupid baskets."

No, she wasn't scared of doing the laundry, she was scared of anything and everything that resembled a cage. It was natural selection at its worst. Most Changelings had a natural fear of cages, as would most creatures, but this fear was rooted deep. Night walked out of her apartment and down the stairs, straight to the laundry room.

She poured her clothes into the machine and pressed many buttons, also pouring in some detergent. She jumped on her hooves a bit, scared of the basket as she dropped it and kicked it away. She shut it and waited for it to turn on and make that horrible noise. But it didn't.

"Oh yeah, it runs by eating bits." Night chirped quietly.

The mare trotted back up the stairs and picked up two bits, carrying them on her two fingers back down. She slid them through the slots and pushed the biggest button, hoping for the best. It worked and she smiled inwardly, happy to overcome this battle. Night Storm closed the laundry door and put a hand to her mouth, opening and closing it as she thought.

Her muzzle made chop chop chop noises as she used her hoof to open and close it as she thought. The mare walked back up the stairs and locked her door, trotting back down. She opened the door to the apartment and looked around. There were many ponies out in the streets of Canterlot today.

The cobalt mare walked out of the apartment slowly, looking around once more. She walked out and down the sidewalk. Night Storm walked around for a bit, eventually stopping at a cafe. She trotted in and bought an ice cream sundae, paying three bits and carrying to a table. She dropped it on the floor as she collided with another pony, and she quickly stood.

"I'm so sorry," She said, bowing her head. "I wasn't looking."

"So we meet again," The stallion chuckled. "Hello, Night Storm. Sorry about the sundae."

Night blushed slightly and picked it up, throwing it in the trash and cleaning the floor and the tan coat of the Unicorn before her. She cracked a small smile. "Hello, Sword Right."

"Let me buy you a new sundae, please," Sword Right smiled, dabbing some ice cream off his jacket.

"You don't have to," Night responded.

"What if I want to?" Sword replied with a smile.

"I suppose that'd be okay," Night smiled a bit again.

The stallion bought her a sundae and himself one as well, and they sat down together outside under Celestia's sun. The duo sat down together under an umbrella. They ate their sundaes in silence before Sword spoke up.

"So, why did you come to Eternal Cafe?" Sword smiled.

"I was just walking around and felt like some ice cream," Night said, taking another bite of ice cream. Sword chuckled a little bit. "What?"

"You have some ice cream on your cheek." Sword replied, making her blush.

With a napkin in hand, the ice cream was dabbed from her rosy cheeks. They were so rosy they almost matched her eyes in a way.

"Thank you."

"No problem."

The duo continued to eat ice cream, Sword Right still smiling. They ate their ice cream for a while before they spoke, talking idly about random things, such as family and friends, likes and dislikes, and a select few of other things as well.

"So what's your family like?" Sword asked.

"My mother died when I was young and my father was always working," Night replied, not actually lying. "What about your family?"

"My mother took care of me while my father was working in the gardens, and then my father took care of me while my mother went to work. I was home-schooled, so I got to spend a lot of time with them." Sword beamed. "Tell me more about you."

Night had to think a little bit. "Well, I like baths and I like rainy days. The night is nice as well, it's nice and dark." She twirled her hair in two fingers a bit.

"If you don't mind my asking, what's in the locket?" Sword tilted his head.

Night was visibly pained by the question and looked down, holding the locket in her hand tightly. She looked at it and her golden reflection in the shiny metal. She didn't know what to do. Tell him? Say no?

"I do mind, not to be rude or anything," Night said, sniffling a little.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to impose," Sword frowned slightly.

"It's fine," Night lied. "I'm fine."

"If you say so." He sighed, carrying the ice cream bowls to the trash bin.

Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder