• Published 16th Jun 2014
  • 965 Views, 63 Comments

A Changeling's Riposte - xXSheltieXx



Night Storm is a quiet and mysterious pony, who dislikes speaking about her past and even her current situations. What happens when she finds some pony she can actually trust?

  • ...
4
 63
 965

Eleven

Imperfection Is Beauty

Tap, tap, tap... tap, tap, tap... tap, tap, tap.

Night Storm's hooves tapped on the linoleum fiercely, while Sword Right bit his lip and tapped his hands on his legs.They had been sitting in the Tax Agency's Office for two whole hours. Ponies were waiting in line, arguing with the ponies behind the desks. At this rate, they'd get no where fast.

They were next in line, but the Pegasus stallion insisted that he paid his taxes, and the Tax Collector refused to believe it and demanded payment up front. Night Storm's eye twitched in anger and frustration as they waited. And waited. And waited some more. Finally, she had had enough.

"For Celestia's sake, just give her the money, man!" She screamed, startling every pony in the room, save for Sword Right. He was used to it by now.

The Pegasus stallion cowered and gave the Tax Collector the money, quickly flying away from the angry Changeling disguised as a Unicorn. Night Storm smiled, walking forward and pulling Sword Right closer. She elbowed him and he began to speak.

"Um, we were wondering how my Aunt Velvetina got so rich, I-"

"Who are you?" The mare asked.

"I'm Sword Right."

"Uh huh," She said, stamping papers. "Fill out this application and go to line eight."

Sword began to leave but Night stopped him. "We've been waiting in this Celestia forsaken Tax Agency for two hours! Now tell us what we want to know or I'll have to get serious."

The Earth Pony wasn't fazed. "I'm very scared. Now please-"

In a flash of green, the Changeling growled and hissed at her with a frown, her clothes changed to blue-green colors. The mare was paralyzed with fear as others ran away.

"Now listen here, missy. You are going to tell us how Velvetina got so rich or I just might get mad. Got it?"

The mare nodded in fear, looking through the V files quickly, and coming back with a thin folder. "T-This is all we h-have on Velvetina."

In another flash of green, the Unicorn mare was back with a smile. She opened the folder and flipped through it, then threw it back at the Earth Pony.

"Come on, we're going to your parents."

"Wh-What? What did it say?"

"It said she was poor as dirt. Lived in a shack, had a grass filled bed, wool sheets and blankets, rusty pots and pans, and a few pictures framed with wood eaten by termites."

"That doesn't really help."

"Nope. We're going to your parents. And if that fails, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna."

"And if they don't know?"

Night Storm stopped walking and smiled. "I have no idea!"

"That's your big plan?"

Night Storm puffed out some smoke. "Indeed it is!" She looked at him and frowned. "Just let me have this."

He chuckled and followed her, laughing silently. "Silly little Changeling."


At Sword Right's Parents' House

"Hmm? You want to know how your Aunt Velvetina got so rich?" Divine Stream asked, sipping a cup of tea.

"Yeah, I just... we got her Will and it says we get a lot of money from her." Sword Right said, scratching his neck.

"Hmm." She thought, twirling her mane in her fingers. "Possibly an older family member. Fire, dear!"

"Yeah?" He asked, walking in from the kitchen.

"How did Velvetina get so rich?"

"Oh, ol' Velvet?" He grinned, scratching his chin. "Well, I believe she got the money from your great grandmother Peach Pie, and she got that money from..." He thought for a moment, trying to think. "From her father, Coal Shot, who dug up silver, gold, and gemstones. He got rich by his business, she inherited and must've gave it to Velvet, and now Velvet wants you to have it, I guess."

"Really, dad?"

"Yep, I have the family tree around this house somewhere," He frowned, scratching his chin again. "Probably lost in all that damn clutter in the basement."

"There, we have out answer. Thanks, dad!" Sword smiled, the duo walking out. He noticed the expression Night Storm made and frowned. "What's wrong? We figured out the 'mystery'."

"Yeah, but it should've been more interesting or saucy! Like maybe she was a hooker! Or a stripper! Or-"

"Aren't those the same thing?"

"No, a hooker stands on the street corners wearing basically nothing, hoping to get paid. Strippers work at a club and get paid from horny stallions and mares there, putting it in their g-strings. It's common logic!" Night Storm grinned.

"Of course, how could I have been so blind?" Sword chuckled. "Go on with your ramblings, please."

"Okay. She could've been a hooker. Or a stripper. Maybe a private dancer. Or a thief! Maybe its fake money! Or she stole it from a vault. Maybe she stole some paintings and sold them on the black market!" She said, raising her hands. "I like to think of something like that."

"Well, one, my Aunt Velvetina was a wonderful woman, and isn't private dancer the-"

"No, no, no! Hookers hope to get paid on streets. Strippers work at a club and get paid up front! Private dancers dance for stallions or mares in a private booth! More common logic!" Night Storm grinned, elbowing him.

"Of course, of course. I can't believe I didn't see it myself." He chuckled. "You're awfully talkative lately. Why is that?"

She stopped and looked down, furrowing her brow. "I... don't know. It's like... when I'm around you, my heart beats really fast and I just get really happy. I remember being reserved and quiet, and sometimes I am. Once the mail stallion handed me a box and I just backed up into the house and closed the door. Whenever you're gone, I'm quiet and reserved... but being with you just... changes me. It's like you have an aura."

"Is that good or bad?"

"It's... both. It's good because I'm kind of shy and I need to socialize more; but I've never been this social in my life. It's bad because... this isn't me."

Imperfection Is Beauty