• Published 16th Jun 2014
  • 966 Views, 63 Comments

A Changeling's Riposte - xXSheltieXx



Night Storm is a quiet and mysterious pony, who dislikes speaking about her past and even her current situations. What happens when she finds some pony she can actually trust?

  • ...
4
 63
 966

Twelve

Beauty Comes In All Sizes, Not Just Size 5

Night Storm continued pacing in the hallway. Sword Right moaned, rolling over in the bed, just waking up. He blinked a few times to clear his vision, then stood from the bed with a frown.

"Night?" He asked from the doorway, rubbing his eye. "It's 3 in the morning. Why are you pacing like that?"

"I'm thinking." She responded, quickening her pace slightly.

"About?" Sword urged her on.

"About you and me and junk." She frowned, continuing her pace.

"If you keep that up, you'll wear hoof prints in the wood." He sighed, scratching his neck. "What kind of junk?"

"I don't care right now." She sighed, continuing, but never answering his question.

Sword frowned, carefully walking over to his mare friend. He hugged her from behind, resting his head on her shoulder. Night tried to continue her pace-thinking, but Sword Right was simply too strong. He put one hand on her back and the other on her thighs, then heaved, picking her up bridal style. He carried her back to the bedroom and tucked her in, then getting cozy himself.

He held her hand with a smile. "Don't worry, Night. You'll figure whatever's bugging you out."

Night smiled and nodded, rolling her head around on the soft pillow. She thought to herself, wondering what she would do. Being social wasn't her. Being friendly wasn't her. Being who she was acting like wasn't her.

It was like a whole different pony came out when it was time to be social. She didn't like the social side to her, either. Her social side was bubbly, silly, and friendly, but her true self was quite the opposite. She was usually quiet and reserved, as well as serious. She never used to smile. In fact, she hadn't smiled this much since she met Sword Right.

And then something clicked in her brain.

She kept a monotone expression and rolled over to face Sword Right. He opened his eyes when they bumped noses, giving her a quizzical expression when she smiled slightly.

"Uh, yes?" He asked.

"I figured it out." She said quietly, still only giving a half smile.

"Figured what out?" He queried.

"The thing that was making me pace in thought."

"Which was?"

"Because being bright and bubbly and silly isn't me, but being serious, withdrawn, and quiet is me. You're the stimulation that makes me act that way."

"Okay." He rose an eyebrow.

Night Storm frowned in thought. Finally, she realized something. "What if... What if this is me? What if my quiet nature wasn't me? Maybe... maybe being social and bright is what I was meant to be."

"You sound pretty philosophical today. Did you eat jalapenos again?" Sword asked, raising a brow.

"Don't be silly! This makes so much sense! It's so clear to me now!" She smiled, jumping a bit in her place with a big smile.

Sword put a pillow on her face with a frown. "You need to calm down, it's not time to get up."

"Fine." Storm pouted, pushing the pillow off her face.

She hugged him tightly, quickly falling asleep in his warm embrace. Night Storm yawned later as she woke, rolling off the bed and looking out the window. It was raining, and she set her head on the sill. It was October, and soon, it would be Nightmare Night. And then it would be November and it would snow, and then December with Hearth's Warming Eve.

Night walked into the kitchen and looked in the pantry. "What to make, what to make," She said, tapping her chin. She decided on a toasted bagel with strawberries, oranges, apples, grapes, and blueberries, a lovely breakfast from the islands of Hoofwaii.

She began making the food, placing each berry in a precise location, often changing their places, to make them look perfect. Once they were done, she put a little square of butter in a small bowl, setting it next to the plate. She put it on the kitchen table and quietly, very sneakily, walked into the bedroom.

Storm gently woke Sword Right up with a smile. "I made you breakfast."

"Huh, oh, thanks," Sword smiled, getting up and out of bed.

He stood and stretched, walking into the kitchen. Night Storm sat her head on the table, watching him sit down and eat. He was used to her watching him eat, as she did so very many times. She scooted over to the radio and turned it on, lovely music playing, charming to the ears. He ate his food happily and quickly.

"Delicious as always, my love," Sword smiled.

Night made a squealing noise and hugged him before running to the bedroom and bringing him clean clothes. She's like an obedient dog. He thought with a chuckle, quickly changing his clothes and putting his gloves on. He kissed her cheek, making her tail flick and wag like a dog's, Night hugging him tightly with a tender kiss.

"Be safe."

"I promise I will."

He walked out the door and smiled at the windows, watching Night Storm press her face against them, watching him walk down the street to go to work. Once he was gone, she frowned, thinking of what to do. She picked up the dishes and put them in the dishwasher, then put Sword Right's dirty clothes in the washer. She sat down on the sofa with pursed her lips, tapping her hoof on the hard wood floor as she waited for the washer to ding.

She closed her eyes, tilting her head back against the back of the sofa, looking at the ceiling. She sighed. "I wonder what he's up to." She smiled, looking at the ceiling still. "I bet he'll make armor out of gold and maybe even a sword out of silver. Maybe a silver bow with beautiful arrows?"

Her eyes widened. She'd forgotten to make him his lunch before he left! She scrambled to the kitchen, quickly making him a sandwich with veggie meat, lettuce, and tomatoes. She put it in a container, then took a thermos, pouring juice in it quickly, not spilling a drop. She continued to make assorted lunch foods for him, enough for the day and a snack later.

She wrapped it in a small blanket to keep the loose lid on tightly, and held it to her chest. She opened the door and shut it, shivering slightly at the fall weather. She locked the door and made sure it was locked, turning to face the street. She ran down the street, her hooves clip clopping as she ran. She wasn't wearing clothes for fall, but it was good enough.

Night Storm turned down various streets, finally arriving at Princess Celestia and Princess Luna's Weaponry Bunker, knocking on the door while panting heavily. She hadn't run this fast in a long, long time. The door opened, two guards standing in the doorway.

"Yes, ma'am?"

"I... brought this... for my colt friend... He forgot... his lunch." She panted, breathing between words.

"And who's he?"

"Sword Right." She held out the package, one guard taking it.

"We'll make sure he gets it." The same guard smiled, waking off and hollering Sword's name.

The other guard put a hand on her shoulder with a smile. "He's lucky to have a mare friend like you."

"Thank you," Night smiled, blushing a little. "Have a good day and stay safe."

"Thanks, miss!" He called as she walked back, closing the door.

Night soon made it to the house, unlocking the door and walking in, laying down on the sofa to breathe. Her heart was beating like a drum in her chest as she breathed, and she finally rolled off the sofa, getting up to get the laundry. She put it in the dryer and began to unload the dishwasher with a smile, same old, same old for her, not bothering her in the least.

"Just one of the perks of being here," She smiled, nodding her head to the radio's song.

Beauty Comes In All Sizes, Not Just Size 5

Author's Note:

I know that some of the foods are poisonous to horses, but it's just a story, so... yeah, sorry!!

~Sheltie, Nya!