• Published 16th Jun 2014
  • 966 Views, 63 Comments

A Changeling's Riposte - xXSheltieXx



Night Storm is a quiet and mysterious pony, who dislikes speaking about her past and even her current situations. What happens when she finds some pony she can actually trust?

  • ...
4
 63
 966

Thirteen

Simple Is Beautiful

Night Storm sat behind the front door, holding a butter knife in her hands. Her mane was a mess as she shook slightly, bags under her eyes indicating she hadn't slept in a while. The door opened, Sword Right walking in and jumping backwards as he saw his girlfriend doing... whatever she was doing.

"Uh... w-what are you doing, Night?" He asked, taking the butter knife away.

She reached for it, frowning and pursing her lips. "Today is the day!"

"What?"

"It's the thirteenth of October, dum dum! On a Friday! Bad luck will be coming our way if we don't protect ourselves!"

"Night Storm, the big, scary, beautiful Changeling is scared of Friday the thirteenth?" He raised a brow.

"Don't underestimate the Gods, Sword!"

"You'd be better equipped with a four leaf clover or something."

"That's true!" She said, rubbing her chin. "I'm going to go find one."

He held onto her tail, pulling her back in the house and closing the door. He picked up her limp body and laid her on the sofa, sighing. "Night, it's just a number and a day of the week, calm down."

"I can't hear you, I'm dead! You killed me!" Night grinned, opening an eye before shutting it and feigning death, her tongue out.

He face palmed and sighed, putting his hands up. "Fine, be like that. Jeez."

Night glomped his leg, looking up at him. "Seriously, we have to be careful! Thirteen and Friday don't mix well, so we have to be cautious!"

He frowned, raising a brow before sighing again. "Okay, if you want to."

She smiled and hugged him, kissing his cheek. "Thank you!"

"What are we going to do to protect ourselves?" Sword asked with a grin. Night's smile made him worry. "Am I going to regret asking?"

"We'll build a cushion fort!"

"You can't be serious."

"You're right, that's not safe enough." She rubbed her chin, scratching Sword's chin as well. "Scratching two chins helps me think harder."

"What if you're over thinking and maybe being normal is the key to not having any problems?"

She stopped and looked at him wide eyed. "How could I have missed that?!" She smooched him on the cheek and squeezed his hand. "That's perfect!"

Night Storm calmed down perfectly and trotted to the kitchen, her hands on her hips, gazing at the kitchen, her signature stance for thinking about breakfast, lunch, dinner, and supper. Midnight snacks as well. She glared at the fridge and then the cabinet, looking between the two quickly.

"How about we have some cereal?"

"Too simple. It has to be festive. Something like Nightmare Night and candy and stuff like that." She rubbed her chin, raking a hand through her mane. Suddenly, she had a big smile and got paper and a quill, quickly scribbling. "I am going to the market, and I shall return quickly!"

"Okay, what are you buying?"

"It's a surprise!" She sing songed, giggling.

She trotted out the door and down the street, smiling with the list in her pocket. A smile was spread on her face as she walked down the street, turning down different streets and finally to a square grassy area, tents pitched everywhere. She walked in, looking around with a smile.

She walked to an egg stand, she picked up a carton of eggs, a gallon of milk, orange and black icing, and many other assorted foods and ingredients. It seemed she was baking a cake, but she had bigger plans. She had to buy a wagon to carry everything home, luckily being in her Earth Pony form, pulling the wagon easily.

She finally made it home a half an hour later, panting slightly. Sword Right walked out and she pointed to the house, the stallion immediately turning and walking back in the house, sitting in the living room, and listening to the radio. She carried each ingredient in one by one with a smile, pushing the wagon into the garage.

Storm walked in, closing the door with a pant. She gasped for air and stood up, walking into the kitchen. She began cooking, running from the fridge to the oven to the counter to the oven to the counter to the fridge and everywhere and anywhere in between. Sword Right fell asleep to the music, his gurgling stomach waking him, as well as gentle prods on his waist from his mare friend.

"Dinner is ready!" She grinned.

He sat down to a plate of pancakes painted orange with a pumpkin face in black icing, green icing on the 'root', and candy corn for teeth. She sat with her nose on the table, watching carefully.

"Is it blueberry or chocolate chip?" He asked as he cut it.

"It's pumpkin of course, silly!" She smiled with a giggle.

He bit into it, and felt like it was Heaven, maybe even better. Sword Right ate the rest quickly with a grin, drinking the glass of water with a smile.

"It's perfection in food!"

"Yay! Mission accomplished!" Night Storm grinned.

She began cleaning up the plates and cutlery, Sword Right laying down on the sofa, holding his full stomach with a grin, quickly falling asleep. Night Storm poked him awake again, this time in pajamas. She wore a blue blouse with blue striped shorts and little slippers to keep her 'hoofsies' warm.

"Are you coming to bed?" She asked, tilting her head with a slight smile.

"Yeah, I'm coming. What time is it?" He asked, rubbing the bridge of his muzzle.

"It's 11:57. I went to bed at 10, fell asleep, and woke up five minutes ago." She said quietly. "You were snoring too."

"I was? Did it bother you?" Sword frowned.

"No, it didn't. You did mumble a few things in your sleep though," She gave a grin with a slight blush, looking the other way.

He blushed, biting his lip. "Did I say anything embarrassing?" He recalled his mature dreams with a red face, scrunching his nose.

"Well... You said cute things and inappropriate things, but I didn't mind." Night smiled, a light blush still covering her muzzle and cheeks. "I'll tell you in bed."

"Okay," He sighed.

They got up, walking up the stairs when Sword fell through a floorboard, getting his leg stuck. Night Storm knelt down to him with a frown.

"I warned you not to underestimate the power of the thirteenth on Fridays." She said, containing a smile.

"Can you get me out?" He asked with a blush and frown.

She looked at the clock. 11:59. "I will in two minutes. Until then, I'm staying right here."

They sat there for a moment before Sword spoke up. "What exactly did I say?"

"You said, 'Mm, like that, Night.' and 'You're so beautiful, Nighty.', 'You look so beautiful, my Nighty Night.'" She giggled. "Things along the lines of that. Naughty dreams, stallion, naughty naughty."

He blushed, looking away from her. "S-Shut up...."

Night looked at the clock and narrowed her eyes, the small hand tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tocking for a while before she stood and walked over to her colt friend, grabbing his arm and pulling. His foot and leg were stuck between floorboards, but he hadn't been in any pain save for the surprise.

Finally, with her Earth Pony form, Night pulled him out of the crevice, checking his leg for marks before looking at the boards. She changed into a Unicorn and glared at the boards as if that would make it magically grow back. She frowned and reached down, touching the broken board and picking it up in her magic, placing it in the spot.

"I'll need your help." She smiled.

The two combined their magic to fix the floorboard before heading up the stairs to sleep through till the morning.

Simple Is Beautiful