• Published 21st Feb 2015
  • 1,155 Views, 11 Comments

The Missing Half - VinylDashxD



Vinyl has it all, But something's still missing

  • ...
3
 11
 1,155

A New Friend

The lack of traffic was a godsend, but vinyl still had a way to go before "on time" was a reasonable way to describe her predicament.

A pair of dice shook in place above a dashboard, and the engine of Vinyl's car purred with power. It was a nice car, low profile and built for the city, yet sporty enough to send lustful chills through any motor enthusiast.

Even Though rush hour traffic had become rather heated, her prime concentration remained intact.
It remained back home in her studio, feverishly plotting the perfect hook for the melody that accompanied her utmost attention.

*It needs to be an instrument..* she thought.
"Literally all of my work is synthesized so.. it needs to be.. An instrument."

*Guitar? No.. Piano? Done it already..* "OH, I know!!"
SCREECHH!!
Vinyl's car came to a grinding halt after a split second look saved her from rear ending the tail end of gridlocked traffic.

"Well, balls.." The DJ muttered, looking for a way out of the situation.
A quick look to her right presented a relatively wide alleyway.
Without further thought, Vinyl cut a sharp turn and blazed up the alley slamming on her brakes yet again, before hitting a fence that blocked her way.
The DJ hesitantly threw the car in park, grabbed her gear bag and started for the fence. A small gap between the building and the obstacle allowed safe passage around it instead of over and the DJ was quickly on route again. The rain began to pick up even more causing the DJ's hair to wilt to her shoulders.

In hopes of not getting completely soaked, Vinyl rubbed shoulders with the passing buildings, skipping from awning to awning, that is, until a door met her face.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The familiar sound of a prepped kettle began to whistle throughout a Manehatten flat. The sound flew room to room, from the kitchen, to the living room, and finally, to the ear of its brewer.
She was a musician, however, rather than modern, her talents rested in the realm of classical work. Octavia finished tuning her cello, striking a key on a baby grand and quickly comparing. Her formal attire; from her fit slacks to her bow tie complemented her perfectly and gave her an unintentional look of wealth, as wealthy as an independent student cellist could be, that is.

A silent buzz from her phone alerted her that it was time to depart for the theater.

"Blast" she whispered.
"It appears I'll have to finish tuning this old thing at Platt's"

The cellist lowered her prized instrument into its case, locked it, then headed for the hallway. Wrapping herself in a dress coat, Octavia prepared an umbrella and stepped outside.

*BING!*

"Owww..." moaned a voice.

It wasn't until the steel door closed that Octavia noticed Vinyl at at her feet, holding a hand over a both pain-filled and embarrassed face.

"I'm sooo sorry" Octavia squeaked, also embarrassed by her carelessness.

The cellist reached out a hand to the DJ, helping her to her feet. "Are you okay?"

The DJ blushed at her own blunder. "Wouldn't be the first time" she responded, brushing the mud from her jacket.

Octavia gave a worried chuckle, still feeling obligated to make sure her new friend was okay.

"Here," the string player pulled the Vinyl into the safety of the umbrella, catching the DJ of balance.
The two met with a half-hearted embrace making sure the potential for injury was still at bay.

Vinyl blushed even harder. "Hahah,, um,, sorry.

"Its quite alright!" The cellist assured, cracking a smile.

"This it the most excitement I've had all day, I ought to thank you actually."

"No need," Vinyl said smiling back with gleaming magenta eyes. "The umbrella was enough."



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



"She's really good," Vinyl said under her breath. "Almost makes me enjoy this stuff.."

"Who?" Asked the other audio technician, looking in the direction of the DJ's gaze.

"The cellist with the jet black hair," Vinyl cued a button on the mix console, filling the booth with the sounds of the soloed instrument. "Octavia."

"Oh, bow tie?" The fellow technician nodded his head in agreeance. "yeah, she's been with the orchestra for a couple months now, she's new in town, just started at some uppity school for classical music or something."

"Huh.." Vinyl added, half aware of what he was saying while trying to soak in the liquid energy of the cello. "Cool."

-

The show went by quick, the curtains drew shut, and the orchestra packed up for the night..

Comments ( 2 )

I've had the story favorites for two years I hope the rest of the chapters aren't short

They won't be as short, however, do keep in mind that there will be short transition chapter(A state of trance) in between longer ones as that's just kind of my writing style. I have had "a new friend" written for some time, and when life got busy it sat for a while. So instead of prolonging it, I polished and published it. That way I can start on a clean slate for the next chapter, which will be 3-4x longer, maybe more.

Cheers,

VinyldashXd❤️

Login or register to comment