• Published 5th Jun 2014
  • 766 Views, 30 Comments

When You Wish Upon a Star - Nightshine_Eclipse



A pony of age must be sent to the place where darkness feeds, and never leaves. Five items are collected to show them their fate. Upon their age of eight, it must be complete. For one day, you may find the one who has gone away...

  • ...
4
 30
 766

Chapter One

"Only You Can Make Yourself a Victim."

A young filly, the color of ash and blood, walked slowly, yet swiftly, down the streets. Her only means of protection came from the shadows that hid her from the hateful eyes of the others that criticized the young pony. Every pony around her seemed to enjoy her pain. Some even made it their job to keep her in her depression-filled state. It was like the young filly was nothing but a mistake that the vampire ponies have to deal with. If only they knew the truth.

Ever since the young lass was found and, technically, adopted by Blood Dusk, the prince or king of the vampire ponies, she was made to feel like nothing, and every pony put her down. The other fillies and colts called her heart-stabbing names. Some even went farther and physically assaulted her, beating her into almost unconsciousness. With the filly's bad luck, she couldn't even fly. Or so every pony thought. The truth, though, was that she could only fly during night.

The filly, Comet Blaze, made her way down to the school house, like she did every morning. Swallowed in the shadows, she quickly sprinted down the street, as she had wasted most of her travel time sleeping, like she did just about every other day. The little filly hated going to school, though, it was mostly only Flight School she hated, as most of the idiotic bullies were in her class.

When Comet Blaze made it to the school house, class was just about to start. She entered in silence and took her seat in the far back corner, just like she always did. Taking one quick glance up at the front, she saw the teacher glare at her. The teacher, Burning Flame, had always hated the little filly, making her look like a complete fool in class, purposely doing many things to the little filly. The worst part, though, for Comet Blaze, was she didn't understand why the other ponies hated her so much...

"Taking a break from our normal lessons, I have a very important lesson planned for today. As you young ponies don't know, at one point, most likely in the near future, you are going to make The Journey to the Everfree Forest. Now, there isn't much I can do to prepare you for when your journey comes, but I can help inform you to help you succeed," Burning Flame announced. "First, I shall tell you a story. You may not realize it, but the journey is very important."

The class gazed at their teacher in awe. Burning Flame was one of the best story tellers in the land of the vampires. He knew every legend, and when he told them, he made them seem like you were almost there yourself. But, as said, he was one of the best, but the legend of the goddess was still every foals favorite.

"Countless moons ago, even before the alicorn sisters came to power, there was one even more powerful goddess. Princess Asteria. Under her ruling, all was fair in the land we now call Equestria. Like Celestia and Luna, she raised the sun and moon. She was the most powerful pony to have ever been in our history. But the one thing keeps the difference between our past princess, and our present princesses. Princess Asteria was a vampire pony."

The young ponies gasped. Many started murmuring to themselves and their friends, but only to have Burning Flame quiet them, before starting the story once again.

"No pony knows what happened, but the princess soon fell ill. The unknown disease took the princess' life, turning the body into a pile of fine dust. The same dust that Princess Luna had used to make the stars the shine brightest in the sky. There is a legend to our story, the reason why we keep on sending ponies on The Journey," the teacher said.

Every pony had their eyes wide, and waited for their teacher to tell them the legend, their prophecy.

A pony of age must be sent to the place where darkness feeds, and never leaves.
Five items are collected to show them their fate. Upon their age of eight, it must be complete.
For one day, you may find The One Who Has Gone Away...

"No pony knows what the legend means exactly. Many believe it means the princess will one day be reincarnated. Others believe it be a mere fillies' tale," Burning Flame told them. "But it's up to you to believe what you wish."

The second the teacher said wish, Comet Blaze felt like a sparkler was lit, then put out a second later, inside her. What was that feeling? Did it even mean anything? The little filly eyes widened, an image of a shooting star passed before her eyes. Comet Blaze shook her head lightly and turned her attention back to Burning Flame.

"Now, remember, your flight test is tomorrow and I expect everyone to pass," Burning Flame announced, glaring at me. "If any pony shall not pass, then you will be held back for further instruction. Class dismissed."

Every filly and colt hurried out of the schoolhouse, leaving Comet Blaze alone. Sighing, she silently got out of her seat and walked out of the school at a much slower pace then most of her peers. She started to walk back to the shadows of where they ended at her arrival, but before she made it even five steps out of the schoolhouse, somepony stopped in front of her. Looking up slowly, Comet Blaze saw the two ponies she never wanted to see again. Before her stood Diamond Aurora and Lightning Spark.

"Where do you think you're going, Baby?" Lightning Spark said in a baby voice.

Irritated, Comet Blaze replied coldly, "What do you want?"

"What? Are we not allowed to talk with our best friend?" Diamond Aurora asked with fake confusion, looking over at Lightning Spark that had the same confused expression.

Comet Blaze rolled her eyes.

Diamond Aurora was about to speak, but she started to get surrounded by some of her friends. Reason why? Comet didn't care. She took this chance and escaped to the shadows. She galloped away from the school house, quickly making it to her secret hide out. She sat in the mossy area under the old oak tree, thinking. Tomorrow was her test, but she still could not fly in the day light. She sighed, what am I going to do?

"Up next, Comet Blaze!"

On shaky hooves, Comet Blaze left her spot in the line and stood next to Burning Flame. It was time for her to take the flying test and to her dismay she never got to talk to Blood Dusk about her flying problem. Silently, she whispered to herself, I can do this. I can do this. In reality, she knew she wouldn't be able to fly, but she knew she had to at least try.

Taking a deep breath, she started to flap her wings. Faster and faster, until she couldn't seem to flap them any harder. You would think this was good, and trust me, it would have been... if her hooves had gotten off of the ground. Eventually, the young filly gave up and quit flapping her wings. She knew she wasn't going anywhere.

With a silent sigh, she walked back over to her spot in the line.

Behind her, she heard some pony snicker. Turning around, she saw Diamond Aurora and Lightning Spark casting glances at her and laughing. She rolled her eyes, and turned her attention to the next filly taking the flying test. Comet Blaze watched as the filly took off from the ground with ease and did the course that was set up perfectly. This made her feel worse about her performance on the test. If only I could fly in the day light, Comet Blaze thought.

By the time all her classmates had finished their tests, Comet Blaze had been willing to just suddenly disappear.

"Alright, all of you have passes your flight test, you are dismissed," Burning Flame announced. Comet Blaze started walking to the door, when she heard her teacher. "Oh, Comet Blaze, come here, I need to speak with you."

Sighing, she turned around and walked over to Burning Flame.

"I know that you know this, but you have failed the flying test. It seems to me that your wings do not obtain flight. As for this fact, you are finished with Flight School and are not permitted to come back. But, as for you, it is almost time, so this will not make any concern for you. Am I clear, Comet Blaze?" Burning Flame told her.

The young filly nodded and whispered, "Yes, sir."

"You are dismissed," Burning Flame announced.

Comet Blaze nodded and walked out of the school house, wondering if she was glad or not that she wasn't allowed to come back to school. Doing as she did yesterday, she traveled through the shadows back to her secret hide out. She couldn't believe what Burning Flame had told her. Since she failed at flying, she wasn't to come to school anymore?

Clearing Burning Flame's words from her head, she lied down on the mossy nest next to the tree trunk. Looking up at the sky brought a smile to Comet Blaze's face. The sun was now setting and soon night would fall over the land. She always had loved the night. It allowed her to be able to walk through town. Reasons being, one, most every pony was asleep or indoors at that time and two, the shadows were in many more places to help hide her from the gaze of the other ponies. It also allowed her to be able to fly, something she always loved doing.

As she made her nightly walk around the town, she noticed the chilling silence that would scare many ponies, but to her, it was... comforting. It was like her protector. It kept her safe from the other ponies that threaten her. The town's silence seemed to brighten Comet Blaze's mood, making her feel better about what had happened not too long ago.

Making her way to the edge of a cliff, that was a few minutes away from the town by running, she spread her wings and flapped them lightly. This was all it took for her wings to lift her off of the cliff. When she was comfortable with the movements, she soared higher into the sky. Watching the stars twinkle, and the moon glow in the dark, navy sky.

Suddenly, she felt something touch her shoulder. She seemed to have jumped ten feet higher into the air. Turning around quickly, she saw the princess of night. Princess Luna. She gently bowed her head at the princess.

"Now, child, look at me," Princess Luna said gently.

Comet Blaze looked up at the princess.

"Child, what is your name?" she asked in the same gentle tone.

"C-comet B-blaze," the little filly stuttered.

"Comet Blaze, why is a little filly like you doing out flying in the night?" Luna asked, again, with the same gentle tone.

"I-I've always liked the n-night. It h-helps me get a-away from the others," Comet whispered.

"Why do you wish to get away from the others, Comet Blaze?" the princess asked, concern filling her voice.

Again, when the princess said wish it was like a sparkler was lit, then quickly put out, inside of her. Why was this happening every time some pony said wish? She shook the thought away from her head and turned her attention back to the princess.

"N-nopony likes me," she stuttered.

"Why is that, do you know?" she pressed a little further.

"They say it was because I was ab-abandoned at birth, and that I am un-unable to fly," Comet Blaze told the princess that stood -well flew- before her.

"Unable to fly?" Luna asked, confusion clearly in her voice.

"D-during the day, I-I cannot f-fly," she said in a quiet voice.

This confused Luna, as it was unheard of to see a pony only be able to fly in the time of night. The princess and filly talked a little bit more before Luna had to get back to the castle and Comet Blaze had to get back to the ground. After wishing the princess farewell, the little filly dove down towards her secret hiding area.

When Comet Blaze reached the ground, she let herself fall into the mossy bed by the tree and closed her eyes. She had just met the princess of the night. She had just met the princess of the night! This made her eyes widen. Shaking her head clear of her thoughts, she started to feel herself drift of into the wonderful world of dreams.




Comet Blaze was awaken from her slumber by the sound of the horns blaring. The horns were used to summon every pony to the town center for a ceremony or announcement, though that hadn't happened in a very long time. Comet Blaze sat up in her mossy bed and let out a yawn before stretching out her muscles. The sun was about all the way up in the sky, meaning it was around noon.

Sighing, Comet Blaze stood from her nest and walked down the trail that led to a small brook. Leaning her head down, she lapped up a few mouthfuls of the delicious, clear blue water. After doing so, she proceeded to kick the near by apple tree, making an apple drop, and caught the fallen apple. She finished the sweet apple in a few bites. When she finished, she put the core in a pile with the others, and started her short journey to town, using the same path she used to use to get to the school house, in the shadows. As she trotted silently down the road, she thought about what could be going on, but no ideas came to mind.

What was going on?