• Published 5th Jun 2014
  • 766 Views, 30 Comments

When You Wish Upon a Star - Nightshine_Eclipse



A pony of age must be sent to the place where darkness feeds, and never leaves. Five items are collected to show them their fate. Upon their age of eight, it must be complete. For one day, you may find the one who has gone away...

  • ...
4
 30
 766

Chapter Ten

"If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare."

It was finally moonrise. The little vampire-bat filly was excited to get outside into the night time air and spread her wings and fly. She quickly exited the tree-library. This time, thankfully, since she was getting super impatient and just wanted to get outside, she didn't have to try to be really quiet or really sneak out since Twilight Sparkle and Spike were still in Canterlot with the Princesses.

Once the little filly was outside, she stretched her wings out. It was a great feeling for the little filly, as throughout the day, she would always keep her wings tucked in to her sides. The little filly spent a few moments letting the night time wind blow through her mane and wings, before she decided to take off.

Comet Blaze started to flap her wings, and unlike the time during her flying test, it didn't take much effort before she was off the ground. The little filly kept on flapping, bringing her higher and higher into the sky. This brought a smile onto the filly's face. It had been a while before she had last flown, and she had been getting impatient with waiting, but now, she didn't have to.

Unknown the vampire-bat filly, a little Pegasus filly watched her in awe. The little Pegasus filly watched her fellow crusader fly higher and higher into the night sky. Anger. Amazement. Jealousy. Envy. This is what the little Pegasus filly felt. She wanted to be able to fly, to soar. But the little filly's wings weren't capable of bringing her flight. Her jealousy grew as she watched her fellow crusader, flying high without a care.

Is this what she meant when she said she couldn't fly, at least in sunlight? the little Pegasus filly wondered.

The little Pegasus filly took one last glance at her fellow crusader as she flew higher into the night sky before turning away and started running down the street, in the opposite direction. The Pegasus filly was angry and jealous of the vampire-bat filly. She was able to fly, even if only during the night time, while she, herself, was unable to fly, period. Shaking her head, she continued sprinting down the street, towards the Cutie Mark Crusader's clubhouse, the place the little Pegasus filly liked to spend most of her time at night, when her two friends had left to their homes.

I thought I wasn't the only one, that Comet Blaze was like me, too. Unable to obtain flight, but there she was! Flying into the night sky! the little Pegasus filly thought, angrily, then she sighed, thinking, Maybe I am the only one, the only Pegasus, unable to obtain flight.

Once she made it back to the Cutie Mark Crusader's clubhouse, she quickly climbed the steps and entered the clubhouse. Taking a look around the place made the little filly feel a bit better. As she remembered her friends loved her for her, not for anything else. Shaking her head to clear away the thoughts about flight and Comet Blaze, she laid down onto a blanket that she used for her bed, before curling up and closing her eyes.

Sweet Dreams, Scootaloo.

Comet Blaze soared through the night time sky, allowing the wind to ruffle her mane and tail, letting the breeze wash over her. This was a feeling she so dearly missed. The night sky was as beautiful as ever, as the little filly flew. The sky was it's close-to-black-but-just-really-dark-navy-blue with specks of white diamonds scattering across the entire sky. This sight calmed this little filly, making her feel so free and right. Like nothing would ever, could ever, go wrong.

The little vampire-bat filly's thoughts went back to the night she flew with the Princess of the Night, Luna, to Ponyville, to begin her quest. A pang of sadness hit her. Soon, she would have to go back. Back to the place where those her age bullied her, ignored her. Where she was alone. Comet Blaze forget about that place as here, in Ponyville, she made friends, was cared for. Did she really have to go back?

"Do I really have to go back?" Comet Blaze whispered, looking in the direction of her home.

"Yes," a voice answered from behind her.

Comet Blaze whipped around. Fear had started to creep up her spine, but that feeling, the fear, disappeared when she saw the Princess of the Night behind her. The little filly let out a sigh of relief, before gently bowing her head down to Princess Luna. The princess gave a small laugh, before putting a hoof under Comet Blaze's chin, and lifting it up.

"No need for that, filly," Princess Luna chuckled.

Comet Blaze blushed. She turned her head back to the direction of which she came to Ponyville. All her thoughts from only a few moments ago came back. Did she really have to go back?

"Yes, you do have to go back," Princess Luna said, answering the filly's unasked question.

"Why?" Comet Blaze asked, out loud, turning to look at the princess.

"You have to go back because there is something waiting for you. Something you have to do," the Princess of the Night answered, softly, looking at the little filly.

"There is?" Comet Blaze asked, confused.

"Yes, there is. Think about why you came to Ponyville in the first place. Your journey. Maybe this will give you answers. Or maybe it will give you more questions. But you have to go back to find out," the Princess of the Night explained.

"I guess," the little filly sighed.

Luna stared at the little filly before her. Before meeting the little filly, she believed that the vampire-bat ponies, the ones born that way, unlike her lunar guard that had a spell placed on them to make them appear that way, were gone. Long gone. But now she knew that they still lived. The little filly before her, though, was so much different. Both a horn and wings, unable to fly in the daylight. A question came to the night princess' mind.

What if she is..? No. Well, could she? the lunar princess thought.

"Have you found all five of the items yet, Comet Blaze?" Luna asked, curiously.

"No. Well, I have found four of them. To be honest, I haven't really thought about the fifth item yet," Comet Blaze answered, honestly.

"What is the riddle for the last item?" the lunar princess asked, again out of curiosity.

"A single seed from the Infinite Night," Comet Blaze recited.

Luna's eyes widened. She knew the answer. Looking at the filly before her, she asked, "Do you have an idea for the answer, Comet Blaze?"

Comet Blaze shook her head.

"Do you want to know what I think?" the lunar princess asked.

The little filly proceeded to nod.

"I think the answer is a star," Princess Luna told the little filly, softly.

Comet Blaze's eyes widened. She knew that Princess Luna was right. The answer was a star! She was getting so excited, then a thought came to mind. How was she going to get a star?

"How am I supposed to get a star?" Comet Blaze wondered out loud.

"Magic," the lunar princess stated.

"Magic?" Comet Blaze repeated in confusion.

"Yes. There is a spell that only I know that can move the stars," Princess Luna explained.

"Are you going to get a star for me?" Comet Blaze asked, still confused.

"No," the lunar princess said.

"No?" the little filly repeated, even more confused.

"You are going to get it yourself," the lunar princess explained, smiling.

"How?" Comet Blaze asked, panicking.

Princess Luna stood in front of the little filly, giving her a small comforting smile, before putting her horn onto the little filly's horn. To be honest, the lunar princess didn't have to do this. She really only needed to explain how to do the spell. But there was something about the filly, and this would give the princess of the night her answers. After a few moments, a magical force pushed the lunar princess away from Comet Blaze. Princess Luna knew it. She was right.

"Now, just concentrate on the stars. Allow them to see you, allow yourself to see them, to feel them," Princess Luna started to explain. "Let them know that they can trust you."

The lunar princess' eyes turned towards the sky, watching the stars. As Comet Blaze concentrated, after a few moments, the stars began to move. Luna smiled. The little filly was doing it. And the little filly was who the lunar princess thought she was. This excited the princess of the night, but she remained calm.

"Now, call for one," Princess Luna whispered.

Watching the sky, again, as Comet Blaze concentrated, a single star began to move towards the two ponies. The lunar princess smiled, as she watched the little filly move the stars, her stars. Though, the lunar princess knew that soon, they wouldn't just be hers, anymore.

Luna used her magic to conjure up a small pouch. This pouch would be used to hold the star, as the white diamonds of the night sky cannot be held in ordinary pouches. The stars require a special structured bag to be held in.

"Bring the star closer and put it into this pouch," the lunar princess instructed softly.

Comet Blaze listened, doing exactly as the lunar princess instructed. Soon, the star was placed into the pouch and sealed inside. The little filly smiled. She could move the stars! Then her thoughts darkened. She had all five items, now it was time to return home. The little vampire-bat filly sighed.

"What's wrong, Comet Blaze?" the princess of the night asked.

"Nothing... It's just... Well, I have all five of the items I need, so that means I have to leave, now," the little vampire-bat filly sighed.

"You don't have to leave just yet," the princess of the night explained.

"I don't?" the little filly's ears perked up.

"No," the lunar princess said, shaking her head with a small laugh. "You can stay here in Ponyville for a few more days, but you do need to return home soon."

"A few more days?! Alright, I guess. I just don't want to say good bye to all of my friends," the little filly sighed.

"I know you don't, Comet Blaze, but you need to return home soon," the princess of the night comforted, trying to make the little vampire-bat filly feel better.

Comet Blaze gave the lunar princess a small smile.

It's almost time to leave...