• Published 30th May 2014
  • 23,634 Views, 1,010 Comments

The Elder Brother - Yoni



You're a human baby found and adopted by the two most powerful ponies in Equestria. You, together with your little sisters, are going to be the future rulers of Equestria someday. Unless fate decides otherwise

  • ...
75
 1,010
 23,634

Play night

Eighteen, you just can't believe that you're eighteen. The royal coronation happened a week after your initial birthday party, and with it, your new responsibilities as a member of the royal family.

Since back when you were just thirteen, your parents taught you politics. You know everything, from simple gestures and ranks, to managing an entire city. Of course, your parents didn't give you a city or anything, but your role isn't less important.

You became the royal overseer. Your job focused on helping the three tribes with their problems, and also coordinates between the noble houses so there won't be a situation in which a noble house gets too much power or a monopoly on certain resources.

Your first order of business was to make each of the three tribes to send a representative that will speak in their name. By doing that, not only you saved yourself a lot of time on checking each request individually, but efficiency jumped by twenty seven percent. Not to mention the access to the treasury…

Today was rather hectic then usual but you survive through it. You yawn as you walk out of your office and towards the gardens; it became your favorite relaxing spot. On your way there, you are being stopped by your mother.

"Afternoon, Sweetie. How was today." She ruffles your hair.

You gently swat her hoof from your head "Mom, I'm not a kid anymore. And today was fine, a little frantic to my taste but nothing I couldn't handle.

Mom smiles and comes closer to give you a hug which you happily accept "I just want you to know how proud I am. You're such a talented colt and you deserve better treatment from the rest of the populace."

Ahh yes, the public. Just like back when mom and dad announced you as their child, your coronation was just as hysterical. Noble ponies outright detested the idea that the 'beast' is the new overseer. Even though you don't care anymore, mom is still upset that her little child is seen as an animal and not as the sweet angel you are, if they just gave you a chance…

"Where are you going now?" She asks.

"The gardens, I think I might take a nap there and then meet with my friends. We're planning to see a play together."

Mom smiles and steps aside "Then don't let me stop you, sweetie. Is little Tia coming along with you?"

You half nod half shrug "I… don't know really. Aurora invited me to see a play. She said she wants to hang out with me and the guys for a while."

"Oh… I see…" mom gives you a knowing smirk as she starts trotting away "Please tell Aurora I said hi…"

That was weird. Mom acted very peculiarly, more than usual. You shrug and make your way towards the gardens. Upon reaching there, you take a sit on a stone bench near the pond. Your mom said it was her favorite, which you find odd, considering it's the smallest pond inside the castle's grounds, and not that impressive. Of course there're the ponds inside your family's summer castle near the Everfree grove, but still, she prefers this one. You once asked her why, but she always said that when the time comes, she'll tell you.

You close your eyes and let the peace and quiet calm your mind. The gentle rustle of the leaves, combined with the flow the small stream that fed the pond creates the perfect moment of serenity.

You slowly tap your legs on the ground, letting the little thumps echo seemingly loudly across the gardens. You smile, and then chuckle, it just feels good. You feel happy, content, relaxed even.

Finally, you decide to open your eyes and scan your surroundings. You silently curse yourself when you see the position of the sun in the sky. You're going to be late!

You dash back to your room and scan your closet for something more appropriate to wear. Luckily, you find a nice looking toga with golden stitching and a large golden badge with the royal insignia to hold the entire thing together. You put on your attire and make a mad dash towards the fountain at the city's center, where you agreed to meet with Aurora for the play.

You reach the fountain panting and heaving, looking around and praying that she didn't-

"Glad to see you could make it." You hear a voice from behind you and promptly jump out of shock.

You heave a sigh of relief when you see none other than Honey Aurora herself, supporting a cheeky smile "And here I thought you ditched me."

"Yeah, sorry about that…" You rub the back of your head stupidly "I took a nap and woke up rather late, I hope we're not late for the play."

Aurora chuckles and steps besides you, slightly closer than you'd like "Don't worry, I know you well enough, the play starts in half an hour, actually. I told you to arrive earlier because I knew you were going to be late."

You chuckle as well "Well then, shall we?" you bow slightly and wave towards the sky district, were you can find all the entertainment buildings.

Aurora bows her head in the same fashion "We shall." She giggles and starts walking with you in tow. About halfway to the theater you notice something.

"Hey, Aurora, where's the rest of the gang?" you ask, finally noticing that you are walking with Aurora all alone… together, very closely, under the orange sky. You cheeks redden as a stray thought enters your mind.

"Oh… I forgot to tell you, didn't I. Swirly said he was working on a spell and Daring was off to another hike far into the mountains. As for Tia, she said she had other plans for tonight." Truth to be told, Aurora never told the gang about the movie night. She planned it in a way that looks like the others couldn't make it, simple, yet effective.

You nod in understanding "And what about Chrissy?"

"Well, I think she's-"

"Hey guys!" comes the unmistakable voice of your favorite changeling, disguised as a normal unicorn mare.

"Hey Chrissy, over here," you call, waving your hands and gesturing Chrissy to come closer. Once she's within normal speaking distance she says, "Where are you guys going?" at the same time giving Aurora the stink eye, it was fast and you don't notice.

"We're just going to see a play, Aurora didn't tell-"

"Why don't you come with us?" utters Aurora before you can catch her on her lie. It's not like she's proud of it, but she simply wants to be alone with you without it looking suspicious, is it that big of a request? Of course now her plan is all but ruined, if Chrissy's ferocious nodding was any indication.

"Sure, I don't have any plans anyway."

This time, it was Aurora's turn to give Chrissy the stink eye, and once again, you are completely unaware of the building tension.

The three of you walk together towards the theater while making some small talk. For a moment, Aurora forgets the unexpected and annoying intruder and simply enjoys talking to you. You tell the two mares about your new responsibilities as the royal overseer and the upcoming improvements you plan for the good of the country. They, in turn, tell you what's new about their lives. Aurora plans to go on a trip with her family to the crystal empire, one of Equestria's biggest trade partners. Chrissy tells you about the situation in her hive, and the fact that she might become a royalty herself if her family plays their cards right.

For a moment, Aurora forgets her anger towards Chrissy and listens closely. She might not have liked the extra company as of now, but the changeling did have pretty interesting stories to tell.

The trio almost didn't even notice when they finally arrived at the theater.

"Come on guys, there's a play I'm absolutely dying to see." Aurora urges you to come inside. You quickly pay for yourself as well as Chrissy and Aurora –much to the dismay of the two- and proceed into the darkened hall and sit together in the middle row. Aurora to your right, and Chrissy to your left.

You didn't pay much attention to the play, and not because it was a romantic drama. It was because of the two mares that somehow became uncomfortably close to you during the play. You are not sure if they're doing it on purpose, or simply not noticing. Either way, you decide not to comment about it, and save the three of you a possible embarrassing moment.

During a particularly romantic scene, you hear Aurora sigh very closely to your ear, as if expecting you to do something. At the same time, you can feel Chrissy's hoof –that somehow wrapped itself around your arm inconspicuously- tighten her grip around you.

Your face turns fiery red as every muscle in your body tenses at the constant contact. Feelings and thoughts that you never knew you have suddenly fills your mind.
It scares you…

"I'll be right back…" you blurt out as you suddenly stand up and dash towards the exit. You make your way towards the restrooms and turn on the faucet, letting the water cool your heated face.

Your knees are shaking, and so does your arms. Your face, although cool, produces a few droplets of sweat. Your breath is quickened and your heart is beating ever faster. What's wrong with your body? Why are you feeling that way? What in Tartarus is wrong with you!?

You suddenly flinch when you feel something soft pressed against your side, making you slip and fall on your ass. You turn quickly and look forward, seeing Aurora with a worried expression across her face.

"Oh, it's just you…" you breathe a sigh of relief.

"What happened to you back there?" Aurora immediately jumps to the subject at hand/hoof "I mean, one moment you're perfectly fine and in the next, you run away like you're being chased by a manticore.

"It's nothing, really. I just felt unwell for a moment, I think I'm okay though."

Aurora gives you a look that says she's not buying it "Oh really. Then why are you all shaky?" she points at your hands, which are still shaking profusely.

"I- I don't know…" you admit "It's just- everything became so weird there. I can't put it into words… I just feel like something is welling in my chest. It makes me feel tight in my own skin."

Aurora steps closer to you, which only serves to worsen your shaking.

"Does your breath quicken, and you feel heated all over your face?" she asks. Her face shows a look of genuine concern and also… expectation?

"Y-Yes… h-how do you know?"

Aurora tears her gaze away from you, looking down on the floor "Because I feel the same way when I'm with you."

She suddenly looks back at you. Her face is one of determination. She steps even closer to you, closer than ever before. So close in fact, that you can feel her hot breath wash across your face, filling your nose with the faint smell of Jasmines.

She closes her eyes, still moving closer. On instinct, you do the same. Your lips almost touch when you hear someone calling your names.

"Hey guys… where did you two run out to?" Chrissy calls.

Aurora quickly moves backwards and looks away, her face even redder then you. You decide to stand up and straighten your toga just in time for Chrissy to open the door to the restroom. "Oh, here you are…" she smiles at you and then looks at Aurora "And what you are doing in the stallion's room, silly?"

You and Aurora chuckle nervously and move towards the door.

"Maybe we should call in a night, the play wasn't that great in all honesty," Says Aurora.

You and Chrissy agree and move back to the outside. But even when you walk down the streets of Canterlot, your mind still wanders back to the moment when you and Aurora almost… kissed.

Now you're even more confused…

Author's Note:

Hey guys, sorry for the long wait. I've been doing some other stuff between chapters and couldn't find the time to write more than a hundred words a day. I know, I know, pathetic. Anyway, I feel this is a pretty good time for me to start writing my other chapters as well, meaning this story is going to update less frequently. I hope you understand.

Don't forget to like, favorite and comment if you feel like saying anything, cheerio...