• Published 11th May 2014
  • 10,797 Views, 777 Comments

Friends, Forgiveness, and Magic - Invinsible



A mirror universe, where Nightmare Moon and her friends fight to protect the Everfree Kingdom. A powerful foe plots her revenge. Will Nightmare and her friends be able to defend their home?

  • ...
25
 777
 10,797

PreviousChapters Next
Canterlot Part Two: Long Live the Sun

Friends, Forgiveness, and Magic

Canterlot Part Two: Long Live the Sun

“Hello! Anybody there!” Rainbow Dash shouted out as they walked the streets of Canterlot, searching for Nightmare Moon.

Sunset Shimmer groaned. “Give it a rest Rainbow. We’ve been knocking on doors for an entire hour.” After Nightmare Moon was snatched away by Philomena, the first place that the rest of the Elements checked was Canterlot Castle. However they couldn’t get inside as every door and window was both locked and ridiculously difficult to break into. Seeing that they weren’t getting into the castle any time soon, they looked for help from other sources. They had been going door to door, trying to see if any citizens of Canterlot were inside.

“Trixie agrees with Sunset. This is growing tiresome. But Trixie won’t give up so easily! The Great and Powerful Trixie laughs in the face of defeat!” She marched towards a house they hadn’t tried yet and knocked on the front door. Trixie jumped as someone unexpectedly answered her.

The door burst open and a grinning earth pony mare walked out. She had a green coat, an orange mane and tail, and golden, glowing eyes. “Good morning friends!”

“Um…hello. It’s...not quite morning, but Trixie wishes you a good day,” Trixie said hesitantly, the other mare’s grin creeping her out.

The earth mare nodded at her before she looked up at the sky and began to sing softly:
“Canterlot, it’s a golden city
Everyday just as grand as before
Canterlot, full of happy ponies
Waking up to say…”

“Good morning!” a passing earth mare sang.

“Good morning!” a passing pegasus stallion sang.

“Good morning!” another earth mare sang.

“Good morning!” a unicorn mare sang.

“Okay, what’s going on?” Gilda asked as smiling Canterlot citizens all suddenly left their homes and began to skip across the streets.

“I believe they’re all part of a crowd song,” Discord said.

Gilda frowned impatiently. “I got nothing against the magic of music, but we don’t have time for this!” She flared her wings open and marched out onto the streets. “Hey! SHUT UP!”

The gathering crowd of Canterlot citizens flooding onto the streets immediately stopped singing. Everyone in the crowd from unicorns, to pegasi, and earth ponies all turned around to face her, all of them with glowing, golden eyes.

“Good.” Gilda nodded and turned around to face her friends. “Now that we’ve got their attention, maybe someone here can tell us what the heck’s going on here?”

“Good idea Gilda. Let’s start with her,” Sunset suggested as she pointed at one mare. She had a purple mane and tail and a blue coat that sparkled like crystals.

“Hey she’s a crystal pony! I thought they only lived in the Crystal Empire,” Rainbow said.

“Rainbow darling, just because the crystal ponies prefer to live in the empire, it doesn’t mean that they ALL live there. Oh, could you imagine being a crystal pony?” Rarity said dreamily.

“Yeah. It’d probably be a pain. Having a sparkly coat throwing light into yer eye, all day nonstop?” Gilda said.

“Eh, I’m sure they don’t sparkle ALL day,” Rainbow said.

“You’re right. The problem is that they sparkle in the first place. How are you supposed to take anything that sparkles seriously?” Gilda asked.

“What? Luna and Nightmare’s manes sparkle, don’t they?” Rarity shot back.

“I’d say their ethereal manes have more of a shimmer than a sparkle,” Chrysalis said.

Speaking of Nightmare, let’s get back to finding her,” Sunset interrupted. She walked over to the crystal pegasus and smiled. “Hello there.”

“Hello to you beautiful pony! Today is a glorious day!” the crystal mare said cheerfully. Sunset tried to smile back, although she was a little off put by the mare’s huge grin and glowing, golden eyes.

“Um, yeah…that’s all! Bye!” Sunset said as she backed away from the crystal pony. She turned to her friends and shuddered. “Haven’t seen a smile that creepy since…well, a certain Trickster stopped by for a visit.”

“Let me try,” Smog said. He walked over to a non-crystal pegasus and said, “Hi there. Excuse me, we’re looking for our friend Nightie.”

“What’s night?” the mare asked with a smile.

“…Okay, she’s not going to be any help. How ‘bout that guy?” Gilda asked. She walked over to a grinning unicorn stallion and said, “Hey buddy! We’re looking for an alicorn, black coat and wavy purple star-mane. Sound familiar?”

“An alicorn?” the stallion said, confused. “But, isn’t there only one alicorn? Her Majesty, the Daybreaker, Queen Celestia?”

“Actually, our friend is the niece of Queen Celestia,” Rarity said.

The stallion’s jaw dropped and his glowing, golden eyes widened. “The queen has a niece?! But then…she has an heir!”

The stallion ran past Gilda and hopped up onto the base of a statue of Celestia. “My fellow ponies! Her Majesty, Queen Celestia has a niece! We have a princess!”

The crowd of Canterlot citizens all gasped and cheered in amazement. “What is the princess’ name?” one mare shouted out.

“Tell us, strange bird-creature! Who is our princess?” the stallion shouted.

Rainbow growled. “Hey! Nobody talks to my friends like that and gets away with it! Why I oughta…”

“Relax, Dash,” Gilda said as her wing stretched out, blocking Rainbow’s path to the stallion.

“Yeah, just ignore them Rainbow,” Sunset said. “Her name is Nightmare Moon,” she announced to the crowd.

“…What’s night?” one mare asked.

“What’s Moon?” a stallion asked.

“What’s a mare?” a young colt and filly asked in unison.

“…Okay then. Listen, Nightmare’s our friend and we need to find her,” Chrysalis said.

The Canterlot ponies chuckled. “Oh please. Why would Celestia’s heir be interested in you strange creatures? You’re lower than even us peasants!”

Trixie glared at the mare who said that. “The Great and Powerful Trixie is no peasant! Trixie oughta-”

“Oh, what are you going to do?” Sunset snapped. “We can’t use our magic, you moron!”

“Ladies, ladies, let’s not fight each other,” Discord said as he stepped in between them. “Although while we’re on the subject, do you suppose any of these…‘charming’…ponies over there know anything about our loss of magic?”

“Good question,” Rainbow said as she marched over to one stallion and got into a fighting pose, throwing mock punches at him. “Alright buster! A way to get our magic back. Know anything?”

“You could always ask our glorious and generous queen,” he said with a grin.

Sunset frowned. “Why would we need to ask her?”

“Because she controls the Summer Sun crystal, of course,” an earth pony mare said.

“The Summer Sun crystal? What’s that?” Sunset asked.

“Our glorious queen of the sun and all who live under it, has mastery over many forms of magic. Even anti-magic. The Summer Sun crystal has the power to contain and enhance any spell cast into it. Queen Celestia is using it to enhance her anti-magic spell so that it covers all of Canterlot. Nopony can use their magic except for the queen. Or those who carry her blood in their veins,” the mare explained.

“Carry her blood…that must be why Nightmare could use her magic even though we couldn’t. She’s Celestia’s niece,” Sunset said.

“What about Philomena?” Smog asked.

Chrysalis shrugged. “It looks like she’s working for Celestia. Since Philomena is a phoenix, it might even make sense for her to be Celestia’s familiar spirit, or animal guide. I read an old novel in Nightmare’s library about how alicorns could use their blood to create special links to magical creatures, who would assist them with whatever they needed. The story was fictional, but maybe Celestia and Philomena have something similar.”

“Oh. So all we have to do is leave Canterlot and the Great and Powerful Trixie will once more be great and powerful?” Trixie asked.

The earth mare giggled. “I wouldn’t say that. As more of Celestia’s power returns to her, the stronger the anti-magical field will grow. Soon, it will expand until it covers all of Equestria.”

“All of Equest...I mean Everfree?! But...but why are you all so happy about that?! You can’t use your magic! None of us can!” Trixie exclaimed.

“The queen will protect us! Her power is without limit! She will defend us from all threats! And she promised to return our magic, once every evil has been burned away with her glorious fire!” a filly from the crowd announced.

Discord sighed. “Right, everyone’s thinking it so I’ll say it. The glowing eyes, the stretched grins? Either Celestia is brainwashing them or Pinkie Pie betrayed us and she’s having her ‘fun’ again.”

With a flash of light, Pinkie Pie appeared hovering over them. “Somebody call me?”

The Canterlot citizens all screamed in horror. “The Pink Demon has returned!”

“Flee before she devours our souls! FLEE!” The Elements and their friends watched as the Canterlot citizens all ran as if their lives depended on it. Soon the streets were deserted once again.

Pinkie smiled as she watched the Canterlot citizens flee, before she turned around to face the Elements. “Wow, tough crowd. Was it something I said? Maybe it’s my breath?” She floated over to Gilda and opened her mouth. “What do you guys think?”

“One, stop eating sweets. Two, start brushing your teeth,” Gilda suggested as she shoved Pinkie’s head away from her.

“Pff, yeah right!” Pinkie giggled. She waved her hoof and made a hot fudge sundae appear before drinking it down.

“Hey! How are you doing that?” Trixie demanded to know.

Pinkie titled her head in confusion. “What, this? Well, first you tilt the drink up to your mouth. Then you slowly slide in down your esophagus. Now the esophagus is this thing that-”

“We know how to eat and drink!” Sunset snapped. “We meant, how come you can use your magic? Something called the Summer Sun crystal is creating an anti-magical field around Canterlot. None of us can use our magic, not even Discord.”

“Really?” Pinkie waved her hoof and the empty glass disappeared. “So…you have no magic…while I’m random enough to escape the anti-magic thingy…and since Nightie isn’t here you’re short one Element…” Pinkie smiled at them as she rubbed her chin thoughtfully. “Huh.”

Chrysalis frowned uneasily at the sight of Pinkie’s sneaky smile. “Um, yes. Now, being the good friend that you are, will you help us?”

Pinkie didn’t say anything for about three seconds before she nodded happily. “Of course. I’d do anything to help my friends. Anything.”

“Great! Do you think you can find-”

“Of course I can find your friends, silly filly!” Pinkie interrupted with a giggle. Her hooves grew fingers, which she then snapped. Prince Shining Armor, Countess Cadance, and Fluttershy appeared in a flash of light. “There! I found more friends!”

“Huh? Oh…uh, hi there everyone!” Cadance smiled at them all. “The king said he’s send us if you needed help.”

“Yep! They lost their magic and Nightmare Moon,” Pinkie cheerfully explained. She grinned at Fluttershy and flew over to her. “Hi there! Now, I know we’ve met a couple of times, but you were kinda still pretending to be mute before. Now that you’re not, we can properly introduce ourselves! I’m Pinkie Pie, what’s your name?”

Fluttershy mumbled and hid behind her mane. “Um, you already know who she is, Pinkie,” Cadance said.

“No, no. I’m Pinkie. And I need to hear her tell me her name. Come on silly filly, I don’t bite!” Pinkie floated closer to Fluttershy.

“Um, could you please float a little farther away? I like my personal space,” Fluttershy whispered.

“Can’t quite hear ya.” Pinkie’s ears morphed into flugelhorns. “Come again, please?”

Fluttershy frowned and Stared at Pinkie. She didn’t seem to notice that her eyes weren’t glowing.

“Ooh, ooh! Staring contest! I’m great at these,” Pinkie giggled as she stared right at Fluttershy’s eyes. “Betcha you blink first!”

Seeing that her Stare was having no affect at all on Pinkie, Fluttershy backed away. “Um, okay. You win. Could you please leave me alone now?”

Pinkie’s ears drooped as she made a sad face. “Aw, come on! Just tell me your name, and I’ll stop bothering you!”

Fluttershy sighed. “Okay. Um, my name is Fluttershy.”

Pinkie’s ears turned back into flugelhorns. “Nice and loud please.”

“I’m Fluttershy,” she said louder.

“Fluttershy…” Pinkie said, rolling the name around on her tongue.

Sunset’s ears twitched. “What was that?” she said as she spun around and stared at one a nearby store’s windows.

“What was what?” Rainbow asked.

“I…I thought I heard something. Like glass breaking…we shouldn’t be out in the open like this. Celestia could have spies for all we know,” Sunset said nervously.

“Ooh! Spies? That’s a great idea Sunny!” Pinkie said as she snapped her fingers and donned a black suit and some night vision goggles. “Wait…I look silly.” The night vision goggles turned into sunglasses. “There, that’s better! Don’t worry gang, I’ll go get stared on spying on Celestia!”

“Wait!” Discord shouted as Pinkie disappeared. “We want our magic back please!”

Gilda slapped her face with a claw. “Oh, Pinkie you useless little…” she growled.

“Wait, what was that about magic?” Prince Shining asked. His eyes narrowed in concentration as he tried to levitate something. “My…my magic is gone.”

Cadance blinked in shock before she tried to get her horn glowing or her wings flapping. “My…mine’s gone too.”

“Oh dear,” Fluttershy said as she found that while her wings were flapping, they weren’t lifting her very far off the ground.

“Oh that’s just great!” Gilda grumbled sarcastically. “We don’t have our magic, we don’t have Nightmare Moon, and as soon as Celestia finds us we’re sitting ducks!”

“Um…how should I put this?” Discord said as he looked up. “Celestia might not be the one we need to worry about.”

“Whatever do you mean?” Rarity asked before she leaped back in shock as Nightmare Moon landed right in the middle of the group, cratering the ground as she landed.

That, is what I mean,” Discord said as he pointed at Nightmare while she glared at them with glowing, golden eyes. “I fear that her dear auntie went and already turned Nightie…‘sunny’.”

“You! You’re the big meanies that want to hurt my mommy!” Nightmare cried.

“Uh oh. Listen to me Nightmare!” Sunset said. “Whatever spell you’re under, shake it off! We’re not your enemies! Celestia isn’t your mommy! Just calm down so we can – duck!”

They all dodged out of the way as Nightmare telekinetically ripped a lamppost out of the ground and threw it at them.

“Like I said…sitting ducks,” Gilda muttered before she dodged one of Nightmare’s spells.


King Sombra paced back and forth in his throne room. “I don’t like this.”

Garble sighed. “I heard you the first time.”

“We should have heard something back by now. I asked Prince Shining to tell Smog to send us a report. Why haven’t we gotten anything?”

“Dude, just chillax,” Garble said.

“How are we supposed to relax at a time like this?” Corporal Blueblood asked as he walked into the room. He gave the king a salute. “Your majesty, I’ve carried out your orders. What do you want me to do now?”

“Check with Captain Luna to receive new orders,” King Sombra absentmindedly commanded.

“Of course my king,” Blueblood said before he hurried back out of the throne room.

“I’d even be happy hearing something from the Pink One,” King Sombra muttered. “I hate not knowing what’s happening.”

“Well I would hate to keep you in the dark, my former student.”

King Sombra and Garble both whirled around to face the source of that serene voice. Their eyes widened as they saw Daybreaker.

“Leave us,” Daybreaker ordered calmly as she glanced at Garble.

Garble chuckled nervously. “A-alright then.” He clapped his claws together and slowly backed out of the throne room. “I’m sure you have a lot of catching up to do. Um, I’m gonna go talk to…see ya.” Garble gave them a parting nervous smile before he ran out the door.

Daybreaker turned to face Sombra and smiled. “It’s good to see you again, my old friend. Your magic has let you age rather well, for a mortal.”

King Sombra slowly nodded. “Even in your altered form…you still look as beautiful as the last day I saw you.”

Daybreaker covered her mouth with her hoof as she gave a ladylike giggle. “Such a charming gentle-stallion.” She lowered her hoof as her voice took on a more serious tone, even as her smile remained. “I have come home to reclaim my kingdom.”

“This is no longer your kingdom. You gave up that right when you set fire to it,” King Sombra growled.

“Ah yes. You stole my kingdom from me, didn’t you King Sombra?” Daybreaker mocked. “Was that your plan all along?”

“I never wanted to take all of this away from you Celestia,” he said.

“I only allow my family and friends to address me so casually. You will address your queen with the respect I deserve,” Daybreaker said gently but firmly.

“You are no longer this kingdom’s ruler. That title has fallen to me, as does all the power and duties that come with it. I will defend my empire from all who threaten it. Even you,” King Sombra said as his horn and eyes glowed with dark magic.

“Are you sure I can’t convince you to surrender?” Daybreaker asked. “No, I suppose you wouldn’t listen to reason. My niece is a far wiser student than you were.”

“What have you done to Nightmare Moon?!” he growled.

“Her talents were wasted on a teacher like you. Just as my words are wasted on you,” Daybreaker sighed. “If this is what you wish for Sombra. Let our magical duel begin.”

Daybreaker’s horn glowed with power as she launched a huge beam of fire at him.


Nightmare’s eyes glowed with furious power as she fired a huge beam of darkness at them.

“Nightmare, stop it! Daybreaker’s brainwashing you! Shake it off!” Sunset shouted.

“You’re not going to fool me!” Nightmare growled as her golden eyes narrowed. “You’re working with them! The meanie-pants invaders that wanna hurt my mommy! You’re not even ponies, are you? I bet you’re like those shape shifting bug monsters, like that big bug over there!” she said pointing at Chrysalis.

“Hey! Nightmare, you can’t call Chrysalis a bug monster!” Rainbow said.

“Dash, it’s okay. She isn’t in control of herself. Besides, bug monster isn’t that bad of an insult for us,” Chrysalis said. “Plenty of my friends joke about how we look like bugs. Even I joke about it a tiny bit.”

“Nightmare, you have to stop! Fight off Celestia’s control,” Rarity cried as she dodged another blast. “I don’t want to fight you, but I will if you won’t stop this madness right now!” Seeing that Nightmare wasn’t listening, Rarity charged at her and tried to launch a flying kick to her face. Nightmare just glared at her and caught Rarity in her telekinesis before hurling her toward a wall.

“I gotcha!” Gilda shouted as she launched herself forward and caught Rarity before she could hit the wall.

“Oh! P-please don’t hurt me Nightie,” Fluttershy whimpered as she stared at Nightmare. “I-I…”

“I don’t think that’ll work this time sweetheart,” Cadance said as she pulled Fluttershy out of the way of an oncoming hex.

Prince Shining grunted as he was thrown against a wall. “For magic’s sake! We need more weapons!”

Discord ran out the door of a nearby shop and threw him the baseball bat he had found inside. “Here’s one!”

“Thanks! Keep looking for more weapons, we’ll need them!” The prince charged towards Nightmare and swung his new baseball bat.

“I’ve got a better idea.” Discord snapped his fingers multiple times as he dodged Nightmare’s hexes, trying to access his powers. “Come on, Pinkie could use her magic, so it shouldn’t be too much of a stretch for me to…ooh! Here’s something!”

Discord grinned as he felt a tiny portion of his powers slip through the Summer Sun crystal’s anti-magic field and return to him. His arms began to stretch like rubber as he focused his power through them. He curled his fingers and talons into fists and sent them hurtling towards Nightmare’s face. But Nightmare just turned her body into mist and dodged out of the way before flying towards him.

“Okay, this is crazy! Nightmare, snap out of it!” Smog shouted.

Amazingly, Nightmare slowed her attack and stared at him. “Smog?! What are you doing here? It’s dangerous! I’m sending you back to our room right now, mister! Mommy will be mad at you!”

Smog blinked. “Nightmare what are you…” he trailed off as a sneaky smile formed on his face. “Um, I mean yeah! You’re right. You should send me to our old room in the castle…where I can talk to Luna.”

Nightmare sighed in relief. “Oh thank the night’s holy light. Don’t worry Smog, I’ll defeat these meanies and then we’ll be together with mommy forever.” Her horn emitted dark blue mist that wrapped around Smog’s body and teleported Smog away from the fight.

Rainbow grinned even as Nightmare resumed attacking them. “Atta boy Smog! He’ll grab Captain Luna, and she can sort Nightie out.”

Sunset frowned as she jumped over a telekinetically thrown park bench. “I dunno. Looks like Nightmare’s spell is sending Smog to the wrong castle.”

“This is insanity! This is madness!” Trixie shouted.

“This is Everfree,” Discord said with a chuckle even as they ducked under another flying object.

“Bah! The anti-magic field only exists in Canterlot for the moment, it can’t be spreading that fast! Can’t we simply run past the borders of Canterlot and wait for our magic to return?!” Trixie asked.

“If Smog doesn’t get back with Luna, that’ll be the best plan I’ve heard all day! Everyone run!” Sunset shouted.


Power radiated off of Queen Celestia as they battled. King Sombra’s shadow form twisted in the air as he dodged Daybreaker’s fire blasts. But the Queen of Fire had peppered the air with traces of anti-magic. It wasn’t as strong as a full anti-magic spell, but the king was having trouble maintaining his spells. His form was forced back into a corporeal body soon.

“You can’t hide in the shadows forever Sombra,” Daybreaker said calmly.

“I’m not hiding from you anymore,” King Sombra said as he fired a blast of dark magic at her. The blast was deflected off the shield that Daybreaker conjured up.

“You locked me away in a crystal prison for over a hundred years. Possibly even two hundred, although I’ll admit it was difficult to judge the passage of time during my crystal sleep.” Daybreaker conjured up three fireballs tied together with a trail of flame, before throwing it at him. The king dodged out of the way, but she could see him weakening. “All that time spent away from my sister, my kingdom, MY ponies. All because you wanted the throne for yourself.”

“I didn’t steal the throne from you! I was content to research my magic in privacy. I was happy to help our kingdom from the shadows!” King Sombra growled as he summoned crystals all over the throne room, trying to trap Daybreaker again. “It was your actions that led us here today, not mine!”

Queen Celestia’s horn glowed with golden light as she blasted all the summoned crystals away. “Come now Sombra, you can do better than that.” She giggled as she watched the king conjure a magical, black, double-edged sword. “Oh yes. You colts and your play sword fights. Even so, you really shouldn’t be playing with something that sharp, little boy.” She conjured up a shining, golden sword of her own.

As the magical swords clashed in the air, King Sombra growled. “That attitude won’t win you any friends. Everfree has changed since you were gone; it’s no longer a place where the strongest pony princess holds absolute control over every creature.”

“You can rename the kingdom all you wish but this is still Equestria, and it is for equines only,” Daybreaker said as she calmly wielded her sword in her magical grip. “I care not for what bugs and beasts you have allowed into my kingdom. I will take back what is rightfully mine, you childish, cowardly colt.”

“You’re calling me a coward? You who hid in fear of anyone who wasn’t a pony?” King Sombra said as he fired another spell.

“Of course,” Daybreaker softly giggled as she deflected the spell. “You use fear spells. Who else but a coward uses fear as their weapon? Who else uses the evil darkness to try and block the eternal light?”

“Your sister used dark magic; she was the princess of the night. But Luna was never evil. She never set her city on fire,” Sombra argued.

“Please leave my baby sister out of this conversation,” Daybreaker gently commanded. “I will deal with her bad behavior…now that I have defeated you.”

King Sombra cried out as Daybreaker blasted him through a wall and outside the castle. The sun suddenly shone brighter in his eyes as he tried to use his magic and his sword to shield himself. A golden beam of magic blasted him downward, his body cratering the ground. As he tried to shift into his shadow form again, Queen Celestia’s sword sunk into his chest. He cried out in pain as he felt her magic wreck havoc on his form.

Daybreaker folded her wings up as she gently touched down on the ground. “Oh dear. Stuck in between your shadow form and your corporeal body. By my sun, that must hurt. I can end your pain, Sombra.” She smiled as she gently rested one of her wings on his body. “Surrender to me Sombra, and my magic can heal you.”

“What…what happened to burning me alive?” King Sombra asked as his magic tried to heal him.

“I’ll admit the thought crossed my mind. However, I am a forgiving mare by nature. Surrender to me Sombra, and I will offer you clemency. Continue to resist my power and, well…” Daybreaker smiled sadly. “I’ll at least make sure your ashes are treated respectfully. Have you ever considered where you would like to be buried? Perhaps I could keep your urn in a location that is special to you?”

King Sombra noticed something behind Daybreaker and he chuckled. “I won’t surrender. Even if you defeat me, there will be others who will fight you. Speaking of which, I think now is the time for that apology you owe your sister.”

Daybreaker blinked curiously as she looked behind her. Captain Luna folded her wings as she gently touched down on the ground. “Release him Celestia.”

King Sombra groaned as he suddenly felt himself slipping under a sleep spell. After making sure that her sleep spell was effective, Daybreaker turned back to her sister and smiled smiled warmly. “Luna? Oh, how I’ve missed you baby sister.” She eagerly, but still patiently walked towards Luna.

“Don’t try to fool me with honeyed words Celestia,” Luna warned, causing Daybreaker to stop in her tracks.

“Fool you? Luna, I am truly happy to see you. I’ll admit I’m disappointed in you for your betrayal, and for allowing yourself to be kicked off the throne. But I can release you from the king’s control, my sister.”

“So that you can put me under your control instead?” Luna growled.

Daybreaker giggled. “You make it sound like I’m enslaving ponies, when you know I would never do such a thing. The ponies of Canterlot are happy, my precious sister. We can be happy again too.”

“…What have you done with Nightmare Moon?” Luna asked. “If you’ve hurt my daughter, I’ll-”

Daybreaker blinked in mild shock. “Hurt your daughter? Luna, I would never wish harm upon my family. I was overwhelmed with joy to learn that you were able to raise such a wonderful child. I wish for the three of us to be together, to rule Equestria the way it was meant to be.”

“This is not the Equestria we once knew, Celestia. And even if you defeat me, Nightmare Moon and her friends will return to stop you.”

“Oh Luna. Your betrayal was caused by Sombra’s control over you; I have no desire to fight you. As for my little niece, she’s keeping her ‘friends’ occupied.”


The other Element bearers and all their friends stopped as Nightmare created a magical barrier, stopping them from leaving Canterlot’s borders. “Now what?” Fluttershy fearfully asked.

“What else? We kick Nightmare’s flank until she either drops the shield or we beat the brainwashing outta here,” Gilda said. She charged at Nightmare, roaring out a battle cry.

“…Works for me,” Rainbow said as she galloped towards Nightmare too.

“Fight for glory!” Trixie shouted as she joined in on the fight.

“Hold on, she has magic and we don’t! How…” Cadance trailed off as she saw that nobody was listening to her. “…Oh why not? I’ve been feeling bored lately anyway.”

“Woo! There’s no way that this could go wrong!” Discord sang cheerfully as they all charged at Nightmare.


Meanwhile, in Canterlot castle, Nightmare’s spell was dropping Smog off in the bedroom that Celestia had used to implant her hypnotic suggestions. As soon as the mist reformed, Smog glanced around the bedroom he found himself in. “Okay here’s our old room, so I’m in the castle.” He ran out the door but hesitated when he noticed that the hallway was not made of crystal. “Darn. This is Canterlot Castle, not the Crystal Castle. But then…was that bedroom…” He glanced over his shoulder and blinked in surprise as the bedroom appeared to wobble. The room became wavy, as if it were a mirage. “Huh. A really accurate illusion…creepy.” Smog shook his head as he walked away from the room and down the hall.

“So what’s it like being a golem?” Smog’s ears twitched as he heard a mare’s voice. He poked his head around a corner and spotted two mares walking down the next hallway away from him. The first mare was a blue coated, green haired pegasus, wearing a much brighter version of the royal guard uniform that what he was used to seeing. However the second mare looked like something else entirely. She appeared to be made of solid gold, with orange flames leaping off her metal coat.

“A golem? Whoa. Haven’t seen one of them in ages,” Smog whispered to himself.

The pegasus mare paused as she waited for a response. “Not much of a talker, are you? That’s okay. Even so, I think it’s a great honour for me to be so close to one of the queen’s creations!”

“Halt! Who goes there?” Smog turned back around to see another one of Daybreaker’s guards, a white coated and pink haired unicorn mare. Her glowing eyes narrowed. “A dragon? Bah, you are nopony; you have no right to be in Queen Celestia’s castle.”

“What? But um, I…I’m Nightmare Moon’s beloved assistant! And you do know that Nightmare Moon is Celestia’s niece, right? I’m here on the um, queen’s orders,” Smog said.

“Nice try. But the queen has better things to do than to entertain non-pony filth like you,” the guard said.

“...Wow. Okay listen buddy, you’re not allowed to insult someone like that,” Smog grumbled. “Not cool.”

“Nothing will be cool once the queen throws you into her sun. Surrender now before you make this worse,” she ordered.

“Worse than being thrown into the sun? Yeah, no thanks.” Smog charged at the guard, remembering the combat training he used to have with Nightmare. Spotting one area of the guard’s right foreleg that wasn’t covered by her uniform, Smog lunged at it and sunk his sharp dragon fangs into the pony’s flesh.

Understandably, the guard cried out in pain. Smog took advantage of this as he jumped up and stomped on the mare’s back, before he used her back like a springboard and jumped away from her. He landed and started running down the hall.

“S-stop that dragon!” the guard cried out. “He’s heading towards the Summer Sun chamber!”

“I am? Well thanks for that info, sucker!” Smog laughed as he ran even faster down the hall. As he ran, he could almost feel his dragon magic getting weaker. He used that feeling to locate which door the crystal might be hiding behind. He spotted several royal guards blocking a big door, maintaining his run as he used his smaller size and combat training to duck, dodge, and fight his way past them. He slammed the door behind him and ran forward.

Floating in the middle of the chamber was an orange crystal, shaped like a miniature sun. Smog jumped up and grabbed the crystal in his claws and fangs. He sunk his fangs into the crystal, but found it to be made of stronger stuff than the gems he was used to eating.

“Seize him!” guards shouted as they knocked down the door and poured into the room.

“Come on…” Smog growled as he tried biting harder into the Summer Sun crystal.


“Do you wish to return to Canterlot so soon, my sister?” Daybreaker asked as she noticed what direction it was that Luna kept glancing.

Luna focused on Daybreaker. “Whatever trap you have ensnared Nightmare Moon in, you won’t be able to hold her forever.”

Daybreaker giggled. “The ‘trap’ you believe I have set is of a different nature. My niece is perfectly fine.”

“Forgive me if I don’t believe you.” Luna flapped her wings. “I’m going to Canterlot and I will free her.”

Daybreaker’s horn glowed as she stepped in front of Luna. “Tsk tsk, Luna. It’s rude to fly away when we’re in the middle of a conversation.”

“You cannot stop me from saving Nightmare from whatever foul curse you have put her under!” Luna growled.

“I will if I have to. I can’t let you see your daughter right now, not when I know my little night knight still needs to finish her quest. A mother’s love is a powerful thing, and your love could prove stronger than the lovely enchantment that I have blessed Nightmare with,” Daybreaker explained.

“Enchantment?” Luna asked as the glow around her horn dimmed a little.

“Of course. I’m glad you remember that spell, even if you never used it yourself. Recently, I’ve been using the spell to its full potential on the citizens of Canterlot and my precious niece. I found a certain crystal that lets me increase the enchantment’s powers.”

“So then that means…” Luna hesitated. “You truly don’t want to hurt Moony. Or anyone in Canterlot.” She frowned at her sister. “You just want to control them. I will still break the enchantment’s power-”

Daybreaker giggled. “And how do you plan to do that, sister? By defeating me?” Daybreaker smiled calmly as noticed Luna’s hesitation. She stepped forward and wrapped Luna in a hug. “Oh sister. I have no desire to fight you and I can tell that you don’t want to fight me either. Why prolong this argument? Join me so that we may reclaim our thrones.”

Luna sighed as she stepped out of Daybreaker’s hug. “…You’re right Celestia. I can’t raise my sword against you. I already lost you once…I can’t lose you again. But there is still someone else that you owe an apology to. Princess Twilight will be arriving soon.”

Daybreaker’s ears twitched as she heard a heavy thud behind her. She turned around to see the great dragon Spike. “Oh my. Sweet little Spike, all grown up. I admit I have mixed feelings about this meeting.” Spike growled at her before he turned to face Luna.

“Fortunately my feelings on the matter are less mixed. Luna, I thought I should warn you. The Crystal Empire is under attack on the outside as well as the inside. At first, I thought Celestia had set fire to the trees outside of the empire. But on closer examination, it’s something else entirely.”

Daybreaker smiled pleasantly. “Ah, you’ve spotted them already? Lulu, do you remember that little golem project I was working on a couple hundred years ago?”

“Don’t call me Lulu!” Luna snapped. “And what of your golem pro…oh.”

Daybreaker giggled. “Indeed. I would never ask my royal guards to do anything beyond what their duties require them to do. While they guard Canterlot, I assembled a different sort of army. Fire golems; magical creatures created with enchanted golden armor and my own magic.”

“And what about Nightmare Moon? If she’s not part of your army, what is your enchantment forcing her to do?” Luna asked warily.

“Taking care of her ‘friends’,” Daybreaker patiently explained. “After all, the Elements deserve better bearers and Nightmare deserves better friends than an insect, a griffon, a chaos spirit, or a dragon. Speaking of which, I’m surprised that you haven’t attacked me yet Spike.”

“Celestia, I’m warning you. Surrender now before it’s too late.”

Daybreaker giggled. “I’ve fought dragons before Spike. You don’t scare me, young drake.” Spike snorted a ring of smoke at her.

“You’re as crafty now as you were a hundred years ago, Celestia. But that won’t save you this time. Now that I know the army outside our empire’s borders are golems instead of living ponies, I won’t feel any remorse when I crush them beneath my claws.”

Luna nodded. “Spike, you deal with my sister’s army. I’ll fly to Canterlot and free Nightmare from the enchantment she’s fallen under.” She glared at Daybreaker. “I’d like to see Celestia try and stop BOTH of us from leaving,” she growled.

Daybreaker sighed. “Such hostility. I apologize if I have said anything that offended you.” She turned around to face the unconscious King Sombra and used her magic to remove her sword from his chest and heal his injuries. “I do wish you would stay though. Without you here sister, I only have little Sombra here to keep me company. I would hate for him to start feeling uncomfortable if you leave.”

Luna snorted. “Threaten us all you like, I know you won’t be able to lay another hoof on Sombra now. If Spike found us, you can be sure someone else will be joining you soon.”

“Oh? Now why would I threaten Sombra? And as much as it pleases me to see that neither of you are foolish enough to challenge me, I am curious as to why you leaving your ahem, ‘beloved king’ all alone.”

Spike snorted before he flapped his wings and hovered in the air. But before he left to fight Daybreaker’s golem army, he said to her,

“As much as I would love to do battle with you, I’m not the one you should fear right now.”

The great dragon Spike flew away from Daybreaker…right before Princess Twilight touched down in front of her, cratering the ground as she landed.

“Well if it isn’t my little Sparkle. Congratulations on becoming an alicorn, my former student,” Daybreaker said kindly. “All we need is Star Swirl and I will have reunited with all of my fellow Elements,” she giggled. Princess Twilight Sparkle looked up at her, her eyes already glowing dangerously. Daybreaker blinked curiously as she noticed Princess Twilight’s mane and tail begin to smoke. “Oh dear. I understand that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, however you really shouldn’t be trying to imitate my hair Sparkle.” She paused as she noticed that the princess hadn’t responded. “Sparky? Are you alright, my faithful friend?”

You. YOU!” Princess Twilight roared as she fired a huge beam of magic at Daybreaker.

Daybreaker calmly flapped her wings and dodged the powerful hex. “Oh dear. Is that anyway to greet your old friend and master?”

“OLD FRIEND? I wasted my life because of you!” Princess Twilight cried as she flapped her wings and launched herself at Daybreaker, firing dozens of hexes.

“Sparky, calm down,” Daybreaker gently ordered as she magically deflected Princess Twilight’s spells.

“NO! I won’t calm down! After your imprisonment, I had to help Sombra take up ALL the royal duties that you neglected!” she cried. Chunks of stone were ripped out of the ground and flung at Daybreaker. “Every time I had trouble I would ask myself, ‘What would Celestia do?’ YOU, the princess who became corrupted because of a stupid glow-y locket in an old bag!”

“Now Sparkle, there’s no need to shout. I…oh dear.” Daybreaker flew out of the way as Princess Twilight threw a large crystal spire at her. Luna sadly shook her head, flapped her wings, and started flying to Canterlot while Daybreaker was distracted by her enraged former student.

“And wouldn’t you know it, I got corrupted too! Whenever I wasn’t studying magic or serving my kingdom I was trying to make friends! But I spent so much time trying to be like you, that I…I…” Princess Twilight shut her eyes tight as both tears and dark magic began to leak out of them.

Daybreaker stared sadly at her. “Sparkle, I’m sorry. I can see that I have hurt you, though that was never my intention. Please don’t make me hurt you again,” she said as her horn glowed warningly as she conjured up a second golden sword.

“NO! You don’t get to order me around anymore! Not after Eternal Twilight, not after me and my family were separated from the world for a HUNDRED YEARS because I tried to be like you!” Sparkle cried, as tears spilled out of her eyes. Her mane and tail burst into orange flames similar to Daybreaker’s. Her eyes glowed with magic as her coat turned a darker colour.

Daybreaker blinked in mild concern for her student’s safety. “Twilight Sparkle, I have learned about Eternal Twilight. Think of your banishment, think of your friends, think of how Nightmare Moon will feel. You can’t trust Eternity’s dark power.”

“Eternity doesn’t matter to me! Eternity was destroyed! I brought the being who corrupted me into this world, and I can summon WORSE spirits to follow my commands!” The furious Princess Twilight growled as she transformed into a black-coated, flame-covered creature. She summoned a glowing, dark purple sword that clashed against Daybreaker’s golden one.

“Sparkle, don’t make me fight you…” Daybreaker warned her.

“SILENCE! Everything I ever did, I did to make you proud! And look where it got me! Banished and imprisoned, like YOU! Forced to rely on the Elements to save me! But I got back up! I became a princess and I succeeded were you FAILED! Tell me how proud you are of me, Celestia!” Princess Twilight bellowed as her glowing sword clashed faster and faster against Daybreaker’s sword.

Daybreaker frowned as her horn glowed. She created a powerful anti-magic field and knocked Princess Twilight back. Princess Twilight shrunk back to her normal form as her coat turned purple again and her hair went back to being her normal mane and tail.

Seeing that both Sombra and Twilight Sparkle were now lying on the ground, Daybreaker sighed. “Please surrender, my little pony…my precious student. You have fought bravely. I’m so proud of you.” Daybreaker smiled kindly at Princess Twilight, her words warm and soothing. She levitated Sombra next to Twilight Sparkle and walked towards them. “You don’t have to prove anything to me. Just surrender, and we’ll put all this pain behind us.”

Princess Twilight glared at her as she stood up. “An anti-magic field? I’m the alicorn of magic. That trick won’t work a second time…” her horn glowed again.

Daybreaker unfolded her wings and gently wrapped Princess Twilight into a hug. “Hush now. Please rest, my faithful student.” Her eyes began to glow white, but Princess Twilight looked away and fought against her spell.

“You know…I find it irritating how you refuse to take this matter seriously. Some people might call this a duel to the death,” King Sombra mumbled as he broke free of Daybreaker’s sleep spell.

Daybreaker smiled at him. “Awake already? You have gotten stronger. However, nopony needs to die today. Surrender, and all shall be well.”

King Sombra groaned and continued as if she hadn’t interrupted him. “Yet despite the seriousness of the situation, you’ve been smiling calmly the whole time and acting like this is just pleasant conversation for you.”

Daybreaker smiled warmly at them. “Of course. This is merely a simple disagreement between good friends to me. Your fear spells don’t work on me, so what makes you think I could ever fear any of you?”

Princess Twilight suddenly grinned savagely. “I know one person you’re afraid of.”

Pinkie Pie appeared hovering over them with a flash of light. “GUESS WHO? …I totally stole Discord’s catchphrase!” she giggled.

Daybreaker’s eyes widened. King Sombra and Princess Twilight both watched with weak yet triumphant grins as actual fear filled Daybreaker’s face for the first time that day. “Trickster…” she whispered in horror.

Pinkie gasped. “Oh my gosh, fire!” She snapped her fingers and dozens of water balloons fell from the sky and splashed against Daybreaker’s hair and face. Pinkie blinked a few times before she grinned. “Tia? Celestia, is that you? Gosh, it feels like it’s been ages since I last saw you! How’s it hanging?”

“Pink Demon!” Queen Celestia shrieked. Her horn glowed brilliantly as she fired a beam of bluish-white fire at Pinkie, who simply giggled and floated out of the way. “Monster! Trickster Demon, from the darkest corners of Tartarus!”

“Hey now! I was born on a rock farm, and it wasn’t anywhere near Tartarus!” Pinkie said in mock anger before she giggled again.

Queen Celestia growled as she ripped chunks of stone out of the ground with her magic and threw them at Pinkie, before firing loops of streaming fire into the air. “Monstrous, heartless, abomination of nature!”

“Aw, I’m not heartless!” Pinkie said as she transformed all of Queen Celestia’s attack into gummy worms. She reached down her mouth and pulled out her own beating heart. “See? I use my heart for all my Pinkie Promises!” The heart suddenly grew arms and fingers and crossed them. “It can do backflips too! Wanna see?”

Queen Celestia roared as she conjured up a humongous wall of flames and sent the wall blasting towards her.

“Hey now missy, keep acting like that and I’m not throwing you a welcome back party,” Pinkie said, snapping her fingers and transforming the wall of fire into a wall of chocolate cake and frosting. “Mm,” she sighed happily as she took a bite out of the chocolate. “Want some cake? I know you like your sweets as much as I do!”

“Uncontrollable, remorseless, childish monster! Evilest of evils, pink void that destroys everything she sees!” Queen Celestia cried. “I should drop the sun on top of you and end your threat right now!”

“Aw, you wouldn’t do that,” Pinkie giggled as she teleported next to Princess Twilight and King Sombra and hugged them. “These two little bookworms can’t stand direct sunlight! It hurts their night owl eyes,” she giggled.

Queen Celestia stared in rage and horror as she saw Pinkie hug them. “Release my students at once, you heartless monster!”

“Hey, what did I just say about my heart? Do I need to pull it out again? It can do cartwheels too,” Pinkie said.

King Sombra raised an eyebrow curiously. “I know that when we were the Element bearers, we all fought against the Pink One. However, you never explained why you seemed to fear her more than the rest of us did. Why are you so afraid of Pinkie, Celestia?”

“Yeah! I’m not even evil! I’m reformed and all that,” Pinkie said with a giggle.

“The Rainbow of Light showed me a vision! That vile pink monster is without remorse! I saw what she unleashed, what she will unleash if she is not stopped soon!” Queen Celestia cried.

Pinkie giggled. “Methinks the Rainbow of Light is making Tia here go cray-cray. Reformed, remember?”

Daybreaker glared at Pinkie before she sighed and recomposed herself. “Please, release my little ponies,” she ordered.

“Hmm…Okie Dokie Lokie!” Pinkie grinned as she let the king and princess go. She floated over to Daybreaker and giggled. “Sorry, I forget my own strength sometimes. Don’t think I forgot about you, Tia! Come here and gimme a hug!” Pinkie grinned as she zoomed towards Queen Celestia.

Queen Celestia smiled victoriously as Pinkie released Sombra and Twilight Sparkle. Her horn glowed as she levitated an object from her fiery mane. She opened the heart-shaped locket that contained the Rainbow of Light and watched as the Rainbow’s magic went spiraling towards Pinkie. “It seems that fortune smiles upon me, demon trickster. I get to reclaim my throne, reunite with my sister and niece, and witness your defeat all on the same day.”

“Oh no! What a world! What a cruel, wonderful, rainbow-rific world!” Pinkie cried as the Rainbow of Light swirled around her and squeezed her in its grip. When the Rainbow of Light returned to its locket, Pinkie was nowhere in sight.

“No! Pinkie!” Princess Twilight cried as she saw the cheerful Trickster disappear.

Queen Celestia turned to face them. “Be at peace, my little Sparkle. Now that the Demon has been defeated, the curse she has placed you under will disappear soon.”

“Twilight Sparkle, relax,” King Sombra whispered to her. He turned back to face the queen. “Alright, you’ve defeated both of us. But do you truly think you’ve defeated the Elements of Redemption?”

Queen Celestia smiled warmly at him. “Of course. Nightmare Moon will soon bring me the Elements and Luna. Together, the sun and moon will destroy every trace of evil’s taint and then all will be right with the world. Now, what to do with you two…”


Prince Shining panted as he glanced over the overturned table he was using for a shield. “I don’t know how much longer we can last without our magic.”

Fluttershy smiled. “Don’t worry, I’m sure mister Smog will eat the Summer Sun crystal soon enough.”

“He’d better hurry!” Sunset shouted as she felt another spell hit the table she was hiding behind.

Luna folded her wings as she touched down within the streets of Canterlot. “MOONY?!” Luna shouted. She gasped as she saw Nightmare Moon attacking her friends, who were ducking for cover behind tables, behind crumbling walls, and whatever cover they could find within the battle-damaged streets of Canterlot.

“NIGHTMARE MOON! STOP ATTACKING THEM THIS INSTANCE!” Luna shouted as she stood in between Nightmare and her friends.

Her daughter immediately stopped attacking her friends. She blinked her glowing, golden eyes at her mom in confusion. “M…mommy?”

“Captain Luna? Oh, thank goodness you’ve arrived,” Cadance sighed behind her table.

“Celestia put some sort of spell on her. She keeps attacking us, yelling about how she thinks we’ll hurt her mommy,” Sunset explained.

“I know of Celestia's enchantment. What I don’t know is why you don’t defend yourselves?” Luna asked.

“We can’t. There’s this crystal generating an anti-magic field. Only Nightmare can use her magic,” Sunset said.

“Odd,” Luna said as her horn glowed. “My magic is still working.”

“Yes, yes. Trixie and her friends already figured out that the field doesn’t restrain Celestia or any who are related to her. Now if you could please snap her out of it!” Trixie shouted as she pointed at Nightmare.

“Don’t you dare hurt my mommy!” Nightmare growled.

Luna hurried over to Nightmare and looked her in the eye. “Moony, I’m here. Nobody’s hurting me. You need to stop attacking your friends.”

Nightmare blinked in confusion. “Friends? But mommy, you said they’re…”

“Ignore what I said. Listen to what I’m saying now,” Luna said firmly. Her horn started to glow as she stared into Nightmare’s hypnotized eyes. “This isn’t the first time you’ve encountered someone pretending to be me. You know I would never ask you to attack your friends.”

Nightmare shook her head. “But…but you said…”

“Moony...I’m sorry I didn’t sing our song with you earlier today. Would you like to sing with me now?” Luna sighed and started to sing:
“Sun shines and Moon gleams
Owls awake!”

Nightmare stared at her as her eyes slowly stopped glowing. She smiled and sang with her:
“Clap your hooves
And give your wings a little shake!”

As the short song was finished, Nightmare rubbed her head as she felt Celestia’s spell lift off her. “Ugh…mom? Loony?”

Luna unfolded her wings and wrapped Nightmare in a hug. “It’s okay Moony. I’m right here.”

“I…oh no…stars above!” Nightmare exclaimed as she spotted her friends. “Oh guys, I’m so sorry! I didn’t want to attack you! Celestia-”

“It’s okay Nightie,” Chrysalis said as she walked towards her. “We understand. It’s not your fault.”

“Yeah, it’s cool Nightie,” Gilda said as the rest of her friends got out from under their hiding spots. “At least you didn’t use anything from Project Zero, right?”

Fluttershy blinked. “What’s Project Zero?”

“It’s nothing,” Trixie lied.

“Trixie’s right. I wouldn’t have used the Project anyway,” Nightmare said. “Whatever spell Celestia put me under, it made me think I was just a young filly again.”

“That was you as a filly? Really? Wow, no wonder your mom named you Nightmare Moon,” Rainbow chuckled.

Nightmare shrugged. “What did you expect during our brief battle? I mean, I’m a little old to being calling my mom ‘mommy’. I didn’t use the Project because in my mind it didn’t exist yet.”

Pinkie appeared hovering above them in a flash of light. “Hi guys! I found Smog! Does that mean I win? Ooh, ooh, do I get a prize?”

“Smog?! What happened to you?” Nightmare cried as she noticed Smog’s injuries. He was scratched up, bruised and exhausted, but he was also grinning.

“Guards…beat me up…fire golem can’t burn me…but she’s got a mean kick…got the crystal though…” Smog held up the Summer Sun crystal for them to see.

“Oh you poor baby!” Fluttershy cried. “Don’t worry, we’ll fix you up right away.”

Nightmare smiled proudly. “You’ve done well Smog. I couldn’t ask for a braver number one assistant. Does anyone have any bandages?”

“Yep. Borrowed them from the pharmacy just around the corner!” Discord said as he handed them a few boxes of bandages.

“Oh thank goodness!” Fluttershy said as she took the bandages.

While Fluttershy worked on Smog, Nightmare held up the Summer Sun crystal. “Now, what to do with this thing?”

“Ooh, shiny!” Pinkie said as she stared at the crystal. “Here, I’ll take it!” She snapped her fingers and conjured up a bright pink bag. She took the crystal from Nightmare, placed it in the bag, zipped it up, and vanished it with another snap of her fingers.

“Ha ha! Well done everyone! The Great and Powerful Trixie can already feel herself growing great and powerful once more!” an overjoyed Trixie cheered as her horn started glowing again.

Sunset grinned as her own horn, Rarity’s, Chrysalis’, Prince Shining’s, and Cadance’s horns glowed again. “Magic’s coming back fast!”

Rainbow and Gilda grinned as they felt strength return to their wings. “Aw yeah! Way to go Smog!” Gilda cheered.

“Woohoo! Can’t keep the Elements of Forgiveness down forever!” Discord chuckled as his claw and paw glowed with chaotic power.

“Great! Now that your magic has returned, why don’t we all go have a ‘chat’ with my dear sweet aunt,” Nightmare growled, her eyes narrowed in determination.

“Don’t worry, I’ll get us back to the empire in a flash!” Pinkie giggled. “Oh! Um, before I do that, you guys mind if I check in on Spike real quick? Just, last I saw him he was fighting an army of fire ponies. I think that might be bad.”

“Very well, but hurry back,” Luna ordered. Pinkie grinned like a goofball and saluted her before she disappeared with a flash of light.

“So what happened to you Nightmare?” Sunset asked.

Nightmare sighed. “As soon as Philomena dropped me in the castle, my aunt manipulated me right from the start. She pretended that she was sorry for what she had done and that she would surrender to me. She went on and on about how much she loved ponies, my mom, and me. She invited me to dinner, where she had all this delicious food…all those moon pies…”

“Um…you checked to make sure she didn’t poison them…right?” Smog asked.

Nightmare rolled her eyes. “Well, obviously. That goes without saying. If I still check to make sure the food you’ve cooked for me isn’t poisoned, do you think I’d trust me insane aunt to not poison me?”

“Wait, what? You check your food for poisoning?” Rarity asked.

“You make a baby dragon cook for you?” Fluttershy gasped in mild anger.

“Smog likes to cook simple meals,” Nightmare assured her. “And I check all my food to see if it’s drugged or poisoned. Just a habit I got into.”

“So you weren’t drugged or anything…good,” Smog grunted as Fluttershy placed one bandage on a particularly sore bruise.

“For all the good that it did me. She must have placed her curse on me around that time. She made me believe that I had lowered the sun and brought forth the night, even though I can now clearly that it’s still daytime.” Nightmare frowned up as she glanced up. “Then she tucked me into bed and completed her spell.”

“Tucked you into bed? Aw, did she sing you a lullaby too?” Discord grinned. “If I’m guessing when she sang to you correctly, I must congratulate her. Best lullaby ever! Did any of you see those flames on the castle’s roof?”

Gilda chuckled. “I wondered what that was about. Pretty wicked flames.”

“Yeah…okay, that was pretty awesome,” Rainbow admitted.

Pinkie reappeared before them. “Hey guys! Spike’s fine! He’s having the time of his life!”

Luna smiled. “Good. The great dragon Spike is dealing with my sister’s golem army, and Moony is free from her influence.”

“Exactly. Celestia’s plans are falling apart and she doesn’t even know it yet,” Nightmare grinned. “Do you all still have your Elements?” The rest of the bearers nodded. “Good. Now, it’s time wish the Sun a very goodnight.”


Queen Celestia shifted on the crystal throne. “The cushions don’t help that much. Honestly, I don’t know how you find this comfortable Sombra. What about you Sparkle, do you use a different throne?”

Queen Celestia was sitting on Sombra’s throne, looking down at the king and princess as they sat on the floor in front of her. Princess Twilight growled as she struggled against the golden chains that were restraining them.

King Sombra glared up at the queen. “You won’t prevail Celestia.”

“Oh, Sombra. I already have.” Daybreaker smiled gently down at him. “Of course now, there is a question of what I should do to you. I’ll admit, in my darker moments while I was imprisoned I considered setting you ablaze and scattering your ashes. However, I feel so…at peace, right now. I defeated the Pink Demon with the Rainbow of Light. I have reclaimed my throne. I have even found a way to reconnect with my dear niece. There are still loose ends to tie up, but I would say that things have worked out splendidly.” Queen Celestia sighed happily. “It’s such a bright, sunny day.”

“And here we come to rain on your parade!” Queen Celestia’s ear twitched as Discord’s chuckling echoed through the throne room. Pink rainclouds appeared in the throne room and began to rain a rainbow coloured liquid. The golden chains restraining King Sombra and Princess Twilight melted off as the rainbow rain splashed onto them.

A flash of light appeared as Discord teleported himself, the other Elements, and their allies into the throne room. “Guess who, sunshine!”

Nightmare glared up at her aunt. “Celestia, you have much to answer for.”

Queen Celestia stared at her niece before she stared at Pinkie Pie. “Impossible. The Rainbow of Light defeated you!”

“Oh, is that what this thing is?” Pinkie stuck her hoof in her left ear and pulled out a heart-shaped, rainbow coloured mosquito. “Here, you can have it back,” she said as she flicked it away. “The mean old Rainbow didn’t hurt me like the Elements did, but boy was it annoying! Can you imagine how annoying it is for this tiny thing to fly into your ear and go buzz! Buzz, buzz! Buzz, buzz, buzz, buzz, buzz!” she sang as she flew all around their heads.

Just as Trixie looked like she was going to slap Pinkie, Discord stopped his chaotic comrade with a gentle pat on her head. “Thank you Pinkie, I think we get the picture.”

“A picture? Ooh, that sounds fun! I’m gonna paint a picture of the stupid look on her face!” Pinkie giggled as she pointed at Queen Celestia. She floated off to a corner of the room and summoned a bucket of paint, a brush, and some paper before she donned a smock and a beret.

“You can ignore Pinkie, auntie. You’ve got bigger problems right now. Hold still Celestia...this shouldn’t hurt too much,” Nightmare said. But as the Elements glowed and the bearers began to float off the floor, Nightmare noticed something. She wasn’t floating with them.

As the Elements’ glow faded, Queen Celestia smiled calmly. “Oh, Nightmare. You’ve done very well. But surely, you should have seen this coming.”

Nightmare’s eyes widened. “Wait a moment!” She levitated the crown off her helmet. “This isn’t my Element! It’s a fake!”

Queen Celestia giggled. Her horn glowed as she pulled out three objects from her magical, fiery mane. The Crystal Heart, the Rainbow of Light, and the real Element of Power floating in her magical grip. “You are correct. During our dinner, I wanted to see how far into my enchantment you managed to slip into. I switched your Element with a fake crown while we were eating dessert. You really have to admire the hard work my servants put into it. That fake crown certainly looks real, doesn’t it?”

“Alright then, new plan. Get my Element back!” Nightmare ordered as she flapped her wings and shot towards Celestia, her horn already blasting spells and hexes towards her.

“Now we’re talking!” Gilda cheered as she flapped her wings and dive-bombed the queen.

“Let’s see how many fireballs I can shoot in a row!” Smog said as flames began to leak out of his mouth.

Discord snapped his fingers and conjured up dozens of thunderclouds. “You felt the rain, but now here comes a storm!” he chuckled mischievously. Lightning bolts, rocks, pears, artichokes, and fruit pies began to fly out of the clouds and towards Daybreaker.

Queen Celestia conjured up a powerful shield as the Elements, Rainbow, Rarity, Prince Shining, and Cadance all charged towards her. She winced as her shield was blasted with spells and lightning strikes. “I warn you now, my friends. You may outnumber me, but I still overpower you.”

Fluttershy edged away from the fight and helped King Sombra and Princess Twilight get back up. “Are you alright, Your Majesties?”

“Never mind that! Now’s our chance!” King Sombra said as he fired a beam of dark magic at Celestia’s shield. Princess Twilight fired a larger beam of magic at the shield too.

“It’s not coming down!” Sunset shouted.

“Chrysalis!” The changeling queen glanced behind her as Cadance shouted her name. The alicorn of love stood beside her, a large cartoonish heart floating beside her horn. “Take it!”

Chrysalis’ eyes widened as a smile formed on her face. “Cadance…thank you for trusting me.” She opened her mouth and swallowed the love energy that Cadance offered her, the pink heart turning green before she swallowed it. The green glow around Chrysalis’ horn grew larger until it was almost blinding. She grinned and fired a huge beam of magic at Celestia’s shield, while Cadance fired her own beam of magic too.

Queen Celestia frowned as the beams of magic collided against her shield. “You know, I don’t believe we’ve ever talked much. Chrysalis, is it? Out of all the ponies I was expecting to wield my Element of Love, a parasitic bug was not on the list. I feel a little insulted.”

“STOP!” Everyone shut off their beams of magic as an angry Fluttershy flew in front of Daybreaker’s shield and glared at her. “How dare you…HOW DARE YOU!”

Queen Celestia blinked as Fluttershy glared at her. “Is there a problem, my little pony? You seemed content to stay out of the battle before.”

“How dare you call her a parasitic bug! You think, just because you control the sun, just because you’re immortal and have all this magic, you can judge people like that?! She might have to eat love to survive, but she has more love in her heart than you do! You…you…meanie!” Fluttershy shouted.

“You tell her Flutters!” Gilda cheered.

“Atta girl Fluttershy!” Rainbow cheered with her.

Queen Celestia smiled. “Ah, I see. You’re standing up for your friend. I admire your loyalty, even if it is misplaced.” Her eyes started to glow as she stared at Fluttershy. The pegasus flinched before her own eyes started to glow blue.

“Wow. Talk about a Staring contest,” Discord commented as they watched the two mares Stare each other down.

“She’s distracted. Now’s our chance to take down her shield,” Nightmare said. They all resumed firing magical hexes at Celestia, being careful that they didn’t hit Fluttershy.

Queen Celestia was visibly struggling with maintaining her shield and her Staring contest with Fluttershy. But she smiled as the Crystal Heart and the Rainbow of Light glowed. “Without the Element of Power, you cannot use the Elements, while I draw strength from two magical artifacts of great power. This is your final chance to surrender.” The shield around Daybreaker began to grow hotter. Flames leapt off the shield and flew towards the Elements.

“Oh dear.” Discord snapped his fingers, causing waves of water to splash up from the floor to put out the fires. “It’s getting very hot in here, and I’m not referring to Celestia’s or to my own stunning good looks.”

“We need another plan!” Sunset shouted.

“Um, could…could someone help me? Please?” Fluttershy said as she felt her eyes getting weaker.

“Hold on dear, I’ve got you.” Discord snapped his fingers and teleported the tired Fluttershy away from Daybreaker. Looking down at the shy pegasus beside him, he got an idea. “Ooh, I know! Everyone, follow my lead!” He snapped his fingers and teleported Luna next to him.

Luna blinked as she felt her beam of magic slip away from her. “Discord? What are…AH! Release me at once!” she cried as Discord picked her up in his arms.

“If you say so!” Discord chuckled. “ALICORN TOSS, GO!” he cheered as he threw Luna like a javelin towards her sister.

“Luna!” Daybreaker’s shield faded away as she put all her energy into telekinetically catching Luna before she could hit her. “Did you just throw my baby sister at me?” she asked, glaring at Discord as she levitated Luna back onto the floor.

“Shield’s down! It’s working! Prince Shining, launch sister T!”

Prince Shining nodded. “Right.” He picked up his own baby sister and tossed the shocked Princess Twilight at Queen Celestia. “Little Sister Toss, Go!”

Daybreaker frowned as she levitated Princess Twilight back onto the floor too. “My friends, you can’t just throw ponies at all your problems.”

“Shining! What was that?!” Princess Twilight shouted.

Prince Shining shrugged. “What? Me and Cadance do it all the time.”

Cadance froze. “Um Shiny, sweetheart, nobody needs to know that.”

“Says you,” Gilda chuckled as Rainbow, Sunset, and Trixie giggled with her.

“You throw your fiancée?” a shocked Fluttershy asked.

Prince Shining blinked in confusion. “Only when we’re both really bored. Cadance can fly, and she says it’s kinda fun. Why, did you want a turn?”

“Brilliant idea!” Discord cheered. He snapped his fingers, gifting Fluttershy with temporary super strength. “Go for it!”

“Oh. Um, okay, if it’s alright with Cadance.” She walked over to Cadance and lifted her up. “Um…Best Friend Toss, yay!”

Queen Celestia giggled even as she caught Cadance and levitated her back onto the floor. “As amusing as this is, could you please stop throwing my fellow alicorns at me?”

“Heck no!” Gilda picked up Nightmare Moon and threw her at Daybreaker too. “Now’s your chance Nightie!”

As Nightmare flew closer and closer to Daybreaker, she suddenly disappeared with a bright flash of light. “Ah. Well, at least my niece is smart enough to know when a game must reach it’s conclusion,” Daybreaker said.

“You’re right. I say we’ve been playing this game long enough.” Daybreaker looked over her shoulder to see an indigo cloud of magic swirling around the Crystal Heart and the Element of Power that Daybreaker was still levitating. The magical mist flew over to the Element bearers and reformed into Nightmare. “Excellent idea for a distraction, guys,” she congratulated her friends as she levitated the Element of Power onto her head and the Crystal Heart over to King Sombra and Captain Luna.

Queen Celestia’s eyes widened as the Elements began to glow again. She opened the locket containing the Rainbow of Light with her magic as the Elements glowed brighter. But as the Rainbow of Light swirled out to protect its wearer, Queen Celestia looked at her opponents. Nightmare Moon was staring at her. Even as her eyes glowed with power and narrowed in determination, small tears leaked out of them. She looked at Luna, who was staring just as sadly at her sister.

“Celestia…I love you…” Even though Luna whispered, she could still hear her.

Queen Celestia, the mighty Daybreaker, the great Queen of Fire looked at everyone around her and sighed. She closed the Rainbow’s locket and smiled warmly.

“Well done, my precious niece.”

She unfolded her wings and closed her eyes as the Elements of Redemption blasted towards her. When the blinding light faded away, everyone groaned and slowly stood back up.

“Did it work?” Nightmare asked.

Luna got up faster than the others and hurried to the cloud of smoke where Daybreaker had previously been. “Sister? Celestia, are you there?”

The smoke cleared away to reveal Heavenly Sunrise. Queen Celestia had shrunken back to her weaker form. She slowly stood back up and looked up at her temporarily taller little sister. “Luna…I’m…oh, Lulu. I’m so sorry.” She tackled Luna with a big hug, tears pouring out of her eyes.

“Oh Tia…” Luna sniffled as she hugged Celestia back.

“By every star in the night sky…” Nightmare whispered. She hesitantly walked towards her mom and her aunt.

“Nightmare Moon…come over here. I’m so proud of you,” Luna said to her, tears spilling out of her eyes even as she smiled widely.

Celestia sniffled and stared at Nightmare too. “Congratulations, my wonderful niece. I knew that if anyone could defeat me, it would be you.”

As Celestia, Nightmare, and Luna all hugged each other, Prince Shining smiled. “I guess that takes care of everything.”

Beside him, Princess Twilight sighed. “I guess…” She and King Sombra both stared at Celestia, painful memories and years of sorrow reflected in their eyes.


Exactly two days had passed since then. The night and day cycle went back to what it was before. All the damage caused during their battle with Daybreaker and Spike’s battle with her fire golem army had been fixed up thanks to Discord, Pinkie, and Celestia herself. Once all the damage had been cleaned up, there was only one more matter to take care of. The Elements, Rainbow, Rarity, and Fluttershy had been invited to Canterlot for a big event.

King Sombra, Princess Twilight, and Captain Luna were waiting for them by the time they had reached the large castle balcony. The Elements looked down at the citizens of Canterlot, their golden eyes filled with confusion.

Once the Elements were up on the balcony, Celestia appeared next to them in a flash of light. She had completely returned to her original form. Her dark red coat had turned white, and her mane and tail shimmered like a blue, pink, and green rainbow. The only thing missing was her royal regalia. In fact, she wasn’t wearing anything. King Sombra’s horn glowed as he levitated the Crystal Heart and the Summer Sun crystal to her. Celestia smiled as she took them in her magic and looked down at the crowd. “My citizens…my little ponies…it is time I set you free. I present to you the Crystal Heart. Let the light and love of Everfree shine within us all, both pony and non-pony alike.”

The Crystal Heart glowed brightly. On Celestia’s command, the Summer Sun crystal cracked and shattered into pieces. A humongous wave of magic spiraled outward as everyone in Canterlot felt their magic return to them. Their eyes also stopped glowing, as Celestia’s enchantment was broken.

King Sombra nodded. “Well done.” Celestia and the king turned around and walked back into Canterlot Castle, with everyone else on the balcony following them inside.

“So um…what have you guys been up to?” Sunset asked.

“What we always do in these situations,” Princess Twilight answered tiredly. “Cleaning things up after the huge battle with…” she waved her hoof. “You know…this and that. But that’s not the only thing we’ve been doing.”

“Indeed.” The Elements and their friends stopped as they entered a private room at the end of the hallway. Celestia was standing in front of them all. She hesitated before she lowered her head and bowed to all of them. “Elements of Forgiveness. My friends. I wish to make amends with you.”

Princess Twilight stared at Celestia in shock. She wasn’t the only one. “Princess, you don’t have to bow…”

“I’m sorry, who are you talking to, Your Majesty?” Celestia asked as she stood up again. “You are the only princess here.”

Nightmare blinked. “Pardon?”

Celestia smiled at her. “That’s what King Sombra said too. For the past two days since my redemption, I have been working to repair the damage I have done both to Everfree and to my relationships. Sombra and Sparkle both trusted me, and I abused that trust as Daybreaker. The conversations we’ve had these past few days have been tiring, yet necessary. I feel confident in the fact there is no more bad blood between us. After our talks, King Sombra offered to make me a princess again. I would have royal power and duties similar to those of Princess Twilight. However, I declined his generous offer.”

Sunset, Trixie, Rarity, and Nightmare all stared at her. “Um…why?” Nightmare asked.

Celestia smiled sadly. “Because I’m not ready. Princess Twilight has spoken to me about your past battles. Eternal Twilight, the Alicorn Amulet, a love poisoned Countess...even the Pink One. I understand how the Elements of Forgiveness work now. You have given me a second chance, and so I will make the most of it. I will do what is necessary to fully redeem myself and to hopefully become your friend.

“In order to do that, I must do so without the weight of my crown. Everfree needed Princess Twilight to return to her throne. However, this kingdom has flourished in the years I have been absent. Perhaps one day, I will step forward as Princess Celestia once more. But until that day, King Sombra and Princess Twilight will rule over Everfree, continuing to succeed where I would have failed.

“To be a ruler of Everfree, is a right that one must earn. It is a duty that I must earn back, and it starts with erasing all bigotry and discrimination from my mind,” Celestia said. She looked at Chrysalis and bowed. “Queen Chrysalis, I beg for your forgiveness. It was wrong of me to call you a parasitic bug. Princess Twilight and my niece have both spoken very highly of you. If anyling is worthy to wield the Element of Love, it is you.”

Chrysalis blushed. “Wow…thank you.”

“Smog, your courageous and heroic deeds astound me. To storm your way past my guards in order to save your friends, I know that you are a brave and noble dragon indeed,” Celestia said as she bowed to him.

Smog blushed too. “Heh, thanks.”

Celestia bowed to the griffon next. “Miss Gilda, I have heard tales of your astonishing strength. From your bravery in battle to your spectacular Brave Bird’s Blitz, I can see that the strength in your wings matches the strength in your heart.” Gilda smiled and rubbed the back of her neck at the praise.

“And last but not least, Discord. I admire your free spirit, your confidence, your cheerful attitude. Your dedication to chaos is surpassed only by your dedication to your friends. You help them in times of crisis, you make their days more interesting in times of peace, and you brighten their lives in all that you do. Behind that mischievous grin and powerful magic is the heart of a kind creature indeed,” Celestia said as she bowed to him.

Discord blushed. “My, my. And I thought I was a charmer.” Discord snapped his fingers and made a bouquet of sun-coloured flowers appear. “Some beautiful flowers for a beautiful mare.”

Celestia smiled. “Oh my. Thank you.”

King Sombra coughed. “Um, yes. Thank you Discord, I’ll take those flowers and put them in a vase.”

Discord raised an eyebrow at him. “Why? They’re not for you.”

“Yes well, Celestia doesn’t need your flowers since I already gave her some.” King Sombra frowned. “Moderation is important, wouldn’t you agree?”

“I disagree. I think more is more in this case. Celestia, who do you agree with?”

Celestia tilted her head and looked back and forth at Sombra and Discord. She smiled and turned away from them. “Nightmare Moon. I wish to apologize for all the deception, the manipulation, and all the trouble I put you through.”

Nightmare smiled. “It’s okay. Princess Twilight couldn’t control herself as Eternal Twilight; you weren’t in control either. And if my mom is willing to forgive you, then so am I.”

Celestia unfolded her wings. “Even as Daybreaker, I meant what I said before about us. I love you Moony. I wish to be a part of your family. I want to give you all the love I have to offer you. …May I?” Nightmare smiled and accepted the hug that Celestia offered her. Luna stepped into the family hug too.

Discord cleared his throat. “We’ll give you three a few moments alone, shall we?”

Fluttershy nodded. “Yes. Um, I better check on Philomena. Make sure she’s feeling better,” she mumbled.

“I’ll stay here,” Princess Twilight said, staring at Celestia with an odd look on her face.

Discord snapped his fingers and teleported himself and everyone else to a different room in the castle. Only Nightmare, Luna, Princess Twilight, and Celestia remained in the room.

Nightmare stayed in the family hug for a few moments before she stepped back out. “So if you’re not going to be a princess just yet, what will you do?”

Celestia hesitated. Her smile faded as her ears folded down. “I…don’t know. The Rainbow of Light made me believe I had all the answers. That I was always right, that I was perfect. I am reminded now, just how flawed I am. All my failures as a princess, as a teacher, as a sister, as a friend.” She looked up and smiled sadly at Luna and Nightmare. “Compared to the wonderful people I see before me…I’m a failure. I’m nothing. I’m worthless,” she whispered.

“How can you say that? You’re not nothing! You’re not a worthless failure!” Nightmare cried, stomping her hoof on the floor.

Celestia smiled sadly. “Thank you for those kind words, my sweet niece. But I don’t deserve them. Even though I promised to make amends, I don’t even know how to start.”

She looked out the window and softly began to sing:
“It isn’t that I’m ungrateful
For the second chance you think I’ll earn,
For all the journeys I will partake in,
All the lessons that I will learn.

But I wonder where I’m going now,
What my role is meant to be.
I don’t know how to travel
To a future that I can’t see.

I have my wings, I have my horn.
I’m an alicorn, this is true.
But it’s still unclear to me
Just what I am meant to do.

I wish to have a purpose
Want to do all that I can.
I want to make a contribution
I want to find my part in the plan.”

Luna frowned in determination. She placed her wing on Celestia’ shoulder and sang with her:
“Our destiny is uncertain
And that’s sometimes hard to take
But it will become much clearer
With every new choice we make.”

Nightmare sighed as she placed her wing on Celestia and sang too:
“Patience is never easy
I understand wanting more
I know how hard it is to wait
To spread out your wings and soar.”

Princess Twilight flapped her wings, flew over, and touched down in front of Celestia with a determined smile on her face as she sang with them:
“But you stand here for a reason
You’re gifted and you’re strong
The Elements gave us both a second chance because
We belong!”

Princess Twilight, Luna, and Nightmare all smiled as they sang together:
“Know that your time has only just begun
As the moon rises, so does the sun
As magic finds a place in every heart
Know that you are loved; you’ll find your part.”

“We understand you wanting more
A chance to shine, a chance to soar!” Princess Twilight and Nightmare sang together.

Luna, Nightmare, and Twilight all flapped their wings and gracefully floated around a speechless Celestia as they sang the final part together:
“Know that your time has only just begun
As the moon rises, so does the sun
As magic finds a place in every heart
Know that you are loved; you’ll find your part.”

They all folded their wings up and touched down. Luna smiled as the song finished. “Know that we love you. We’ll help you find your part.”

Celestia wiped away a tear and smiled kindly at them. “I don’t deserve such a loving family.”

Nightmare looked Celestia in the eye and returned that loving smile with one of her own. “I think everyone needs a loving family. I know you deserve one.”

Princess Twilight smiled and teleported away as Celestia, Luna, and Nightmare hugged each other again. In another corner of the room, a painting of a pink earth pony blinked its eyes. The painting disappeared with a very faint flash of light.

Pinkie Pie appeared somewhere just outside of Canterlot. She held up her hoof and looked at the large apple she held onto. She looked back in the direction of Canterlot, before she looked back at the fruit. She sighed and vanished the apple with a snap of her fingers. “Not today. Not yet.” Pinkie was silent for a moment, floating in the air, completely alone. Eventually she snapped her fingers.

Maud Pie blinked as she found herself in front of her sister. “Pinkie? What is it?”

Pinkie shifted nervously. “I just…I just want a hug.”

Maud blinked slowly before she held out her forelegs. Pinkie flew into them and wrapped her sister in a hug. “There, there. It’ll be okay,” Maud said, a hint of concern showing in her otherwise bland voice.

Pinkie smiled. “You’re right, sis. Everything is going to be fine.”

Author's Note:

I've changed the name of Celestia's corrupted form from Solar Flare to Daybreaker, to better reflect the canon story.

PreviousChapters Next