• Published 18th Apr 2014
  • 3,966 Views, 225 Comments

Treasure Hunt - RainbowDoubleDash



Somewhere in Ponyville lies a hidden treasure - and three groups of foals are in a race to find it!

  • ...
8
 225
 3,966

5. The Scheme of Diamond Tiara

The Isles of Storm were accurately named. They consisted of a pair of islands located practically right next to each other, each taking the form of a tall spire of rock that seemed to jut from the ocean’s surface like some kind of spear or tower. The smaller of the two was inhabited, home to a colony of pegasi that did their best to control or at least redirect the violent and dreaded hurricanes that could sometimes spring up in the Thousand Islands. The larger spire, however, was no mere rock, but the outer shell of a vaporcano, a thing that totally existed in real life and was just like a volcano, but instead of spewing out lava, it released a constant stream of water vapor into the sky.

The result of the vaporcano was that the skies around the Isles of Storm were constantly cloudy. It often rained here. Even as Rosedust approached the twin islands, the seas grew choppy, and the crew saw that the vaporcano seemed to be active as clouds built up in the sky overhead. Pegasi flitted about amongst them, shaping it and redirecting it into broad, thick, pale gray clouds

“Wow,” Featherweight said as Rosedust drifted to a stop at the smaller island’s dock. “I’ve never actually watched the weather patrol get ready for the winter before.”

“Are those all full of snow?” Dinky wondered, dropping out of character for a moment. The Isles of Storm were, in fact, the weather patrol station and its cloud silo. Despite the comparatively small size of Ponyville, the patrol station was larger than those found in many other places in Equestria, Dinky knew, since the pegasus ponies inside not only had to make Ponyville’s weather and coordinate it with the rest of Equestria, but also deal with the unpredictable and uncontrollable weather of the Everfree Forest. The cloud silo, meanwhile, was the tallest building in Ponyville, a hollow metal structure that housed the weekly shipment of pegasus-magic-made water vapor from Cloudsdale. Pegasus ponies were flitting to and fro between the patrol station and the cloud silo, using the windows of the station far more often – in fact, almost exclusively – over the station’s front door.

“Yup!” Snails answered Dinky. “My sister and my dad were talking about it last night over dinner. They said that we’re gonna start with four inches of rimed snow and then another four inches of dendrites.”

“Huh?” Twist asked.

“Different kinds of snowflakes.”

“There’s different kinds of snowflakes?” Scootaloo asked.

Snails nodded in confirmation. “Dendrites, rimed snow, needles, and graupel. Graupel isn’t any good, though. Something about how it can cause avalanches or something.”

Dinky looked back to the weather patrol station, shifting a little. “They all look really busy,” she said. “Maybe we shouldn’t interrupt them.”

“But we need the key!” Featherweight objected. “And besides, Pinkie Pie wouldn’t have put this on the map unless there was a way for us to get it!”

The other four considered for a moment, before nodding as one and slipping back into character. The waters that surrounded the Isles of Storm were choppy, but that came as little surprise to the crew of the Rosedust as they hopped from their schooner and onto the pier of the smaller island, and made their way forward to the pegasus colony. They had no trouble entering the gates of the small town. It was built into a cliff side, with buildings that could only be reached if one had a pair of wings, or at least a portable ladder. Pegasi flitted about from building to building themselves easily enough, going about their daily business. The town seemed comparatively empty, however, probably due to most of the population being busy dealing with the vaporcano. What ponies were present didn’t seem to notice the collection of fillies and colts as they wandered in.

“Where to first?” Dinky asked as she looked around.

“Well,” Snails said, pointing, “if there’s anypony free who could help us, they’ll probably be in the break room.”

“Tavern,” Twist corrected.

“Oh, right. Yeah, the tavern.”

The tavern, called ‘The Dancing Hippogriff,’ was thankfully located at ground level in the pegasus colony, probably so as to make things easier for any earth ponies, unicorns, or other non-flying beings that might stop by. It looked like a more well-kept establishment than the ‘Admiral Bent Bow,’ the tavern they had all met up in back in Caballeria. On entering, the foals found that it was empty of ponies.

“Now what?” Scootaloo asked, looking around the tavern. There wasn’t even any sign of the tavern-keeper, though he had apparently left out the tea and coffee maker for anypony who wanted it. “Are we just supposed to wait here?”

Snails pointed at one of the tavern’s walls, which had a cuckoo clock hanging from it. “Not long!” he answered. “In about half an hour, everypony will be going on break. Well, everypony part of the winter set-up squad, anyway. Somepony will stop by here, and then we can ask them about the Storm Key!”

“Great!” Dinky answered, though she paused after a moment. “But…what are we supposed to do until then?”

The foals all looked around the tavern, each seeming to be at a loss, as it was fairly plain and nondescript, and didn’t even seem to have anything interesting like paper and crayons. At length, Featherweight pointed to the tavern’s bar. “We could have some tea,” he suggested.

---

“I wanted to have tea!” Diamond Tiara exclaimed as she bucked the treasure chest. Normally, she wasn’t one for physical exertion, and she was still just a filly – but she was still an earth pony, and a fairly annoyed one at the moment, too. The treasure chest was launched a few inches into the air and went skidding backwards a couple feet in the sand from the force of her blow. “But no, we have this stupid treasure chest that doesn’t even work!”

“It probably works fine if we have the key,” Firelock suggested, looking at the map that Sweetie Belle held open. “Or, um…huh. Looks like there’s three of them.”

“No, they’re labeled as keys 7, 8, and 9,” Sweetie said, the sea breeze whipping at her long coat. “So there’s probably nine of them. But there’s only one lock…”

“Maybe there’s a chest inside of this chest,” Alula theorized. “And maybe another chest inside that one. So we’ll have to get all three of our keys…plus the others from everypony else…”

Diamond Tiara turned quickly on the three of them. “Oh no. No, no, no. I agreed to come out on this stupid treasure hunt ‘cause we could skip right to the end and get the treasure. I do not want to actually have to hunt down these stupid keys just to get the stupid treasure! It’s probably just a bunch of chocolate coins or coupons to Sugarcube Corner or something, anyway!”

“That’d be a great treasure!” Firelock countered. “I love chocolate coins!”

Diamond Tiara’s glare hardened, at least until Silver Spoon spoke up. “I like Sugarcube Corner.” The pink filly turned on the silvery one, teeth grinding against one another. Silver Spoon held up a hoof. “We can have tea parties whenever we like. Once winter starts we could even have them a whole lot more since it’ll be so cold outside! But treasure hunts don’t happen all the time.”

Diamond Tiara was frozen still for a long moment, before letting out a very long, very frustrated sigh. “Fine,” she spat, turning to look at the treasure chest that they had unearthed. She considered it for a few seconds. “But…we’re gonna take this with us!”

“Huh?” Alula asked, wings spreading wide in surprise. “But…then how will everypony else have a shot at getting it?”

“They won’t. That’s the point,” Diamond Tiara said as she trotted over to the chest and grabbed one of its handles in her mouth, starting to pull it along the island and towards their jolly-boat, so that they could bring it back aboard the Diamond Tiara. “Ah ‘ont ‘et any’ony ‘ave mah trashah!”

“What?”

Diamond Tiara spat the handle out of her mouth and paused a moment before responding. “I won’t let anypony have our treasure! We found it first. Just ‘cause we can’t get it open, doesn’t mean a thing!”

“But we’ll need everypony else’s help,” Sweetie Belle reasoned. “Because there’s nine keys in total but we don’t even have one, and our map only shows us three anyway.”

“We’ll figure that part out later,” Diamond Tiara said. “But right now, if we have the treasure and nopony else does, then we don’t need to worry about anypony else getting to it and doing the same thing! It gives us a great bargaining chip, if only we know where the treasure is!”

“That’s not really fair, though,” Sweetie objected.

“Fair?” Silver Spoon asked, stepping over to Diamond Tiara. “They’re playing pirates. Pirates don’t play fair!” She tapped a hoof firmly on the ground. “Think about it, Dinky and her friends have Scootaloo driving them around town! No foal is faster. They’ve probably already got all their keys! That’s not fair to anypony else, is it? So we need an advantage. And this,” she waved a hoof at the treasure chest, “is our best shot at getting one!”

The other three foals looked between each other. “I guess,” Alula said after a moment, though she seemed unsure.

“Good! Now help me get this back to the ship.”

By ‘help,’ Diamond Tiara really meant that Firelock, Sweetie, and Alula had to lug it back with their telekinesis to the jolly-boat, and then back to the Diamond Tiara. The two figureheads watched with interest as they did. “Where did you get the box?” one asked.

“We dug it up,” Silver Spoon responded.

“You mean there really is a treasure?”

“Do not get me started!” Diamond Tiara said as she clambered up and into the ship, and the chest was pushed inside. So luxurious and well-designed was the Diamond Tiara that it didn’t seem to take up any space at all, mostly thanks to the chest being easily placed in the ship’s cargo hold. Once it was safely stored, Diamond Tiara turned to look at her crew, as Sweetie Belle revealed the map.

“Okay,” Diamond Tiara said, placing a hoof on where they were. “So there’s three keys we can get on this map? Easy. Me and Silver Spoon will get the one at the town hall. Alula, you and Firelock can go and get the one at the Punch Bowl. And Sweetie, you can go for the one at Sugarcube Corner. Then we’ll all meet up back here and decide what to do next.”

“Wait, I’m gonna be all by myself?” Sweetie asked, eyes widening.

“Only for a little bit,” Firelock assured her. “But there’s three keys, and five of us, so somepony’s gonna be the odd one out…”

“And that’s me?

“Basically,” Silver Spoon said, looking at one hoof. She needed a hooficure at some point in the future, she realized - first mates on ships should always look their best. “Me and Diamond Tiara are best friends, and Firelock and Alula are best friends. If Scootaloo had just come to the tea party then you could have gone with her…”

Diamond Tiara looked up from the map, and saw Sweetie’s eyes somehow having grown even larger, and full of water, lower lip trembling. “B-but Sugarcube Corner is o-o-on the other side of Ponyville…” she said. “I’ll be by myself the whole time?”

Alula bit her lip. “Well, you could come with me and Firelock,” she offered.

“B-but then we won’t get the key fast enough!” Sweetie objected, hiccupping slightly. “I…I’m just a third wheel, a-aren’t I?”

Diamond Tiara felt some tugging on her heartstrings at the display. It wasn’t a common feeling, but nor was it totally alien to the filly. She grunted a little, waving a hoof at Sweetie. “Okay okay okay, calm down,” she said. “The town hall isn’t far from here, and neither is the Punch Bowl. So how about me and Silver Spoon walk to the town hall, and Alula and Firelock to the Punch Bowl, and then you can take the shi…the carriage?

Sweetie considered a few moments, before nodding as she sniffled, wiping away the tears that, thankfully, hadn’t fallen. “S-sounds fair,” she said.

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon disembarked into one of the Diamond Tiara’s jolly-boats, while Alula and Firelock took another. “And we’ll all meet back up at Sugarcube Corner. Okay?”

“Okay!” Sweetie said, suddenly looking much, much better as she waved down at the four foals, then withdrew the ladders that the four had climbed down to get into the jolly boats and commanded the figureheads at Diamond Tiara’s fore to take her to The Frosted Isle, as Sugarcube Corner was known on the map that they had.

Actually, now that Diamond Tiara thought about it, Sweetie looked so much better, that Diamond Tiara would never have been able to guess that she had been distraught in the first place. It suddenly occurred to Diamond Tiara that she was alone but for Silver Spoon, in the middle of the ocean in a jolly-boat, watching her ship sail away –

No, wait, that was wrong. She was in the middle of Ponyville, on her own four hooves, and it wasn’t even her carriage, and it wasn't like Sweetie could actually steal it anyway, not as long as it had two ponies pulling it. Diamond Tiara grunted. “Okay, let’s get moving,” she said to Silver Spoon.

---

Applebloom was prancing in place in worry when she felt the magic recede, but her eyes were tightly closed. “Oh no oh no oh no, what’d she do?” she asked. “Am Ah a colt now? Did she take off mah fur? Am Ah some kind of naked bear? What happened?”

Applebloom heard light sniggering from the rest of the crew, but that just made her more anxious. “That’s it, isn’t it? She turned me into some kinda’ naked bear an’ Ah’ll have ta’ go live in the Everfree Forest and eat meat and wear dead animals to stay warm and only Miss Fluttershy will like me…”

“It’s nothing that bad,” the Sorceress of the Atoll said indignantly. Applebloom felt a hoof on her shoulder. “Besides, you still have hooves, so you can’t be a bear.”

“Oh,” Applebloom said, stopping her nervous prancing. “Right.”

“Just open your eyes!” Snips exclaimed.

Applebloom did, one at a time, then the other. She didn’t notice anything out-of-place at first – until she saw her muzzle, anyway. Normally it was something she didn’t even pay attention to, what with it having been right there in front of her eyes her whole life. It had changed, though – where before it had been straw yellow in color, it was now a bright red. “Oh,” Applebloom repeated, looking at her hoof. Her coat had changed, to basically match the color of her mane and tail. Glancing back at her dock, she saw that her tail had now become the same color that her coat had once been – straw yellow.

“That’s not so bad,” Applebloom admitted. All that had happened was a reverse of her mane and coat colors, it seemed.

The Sorceress of the Atoll – in fact, Twilight Sparkle – waved a hoof in the air. “You five didn’t really think I was gonna do something terrible, did you?” she asked.

“Ah guess not,” Applebloom admitted, looking up at Twilight. “Pipsqueak just got me all nervous with imaginin’ this place an’ that you really were some kinda’ evil sorceress or somethin’.”

Pipsqueak blinked a few times, before crossing his hooves indignantly. “We’re supposed to be playing pirates,” he said. “And there’s supposed to be a terrible curse on you.”

The other three foals of the crew looked to him, then back to Applebloom. “What could be terrible about her coat changing color?” Rumble asked, scratching one front hoof against the opposite leg.

“It doesn’t matter that much!” Bee Bop objected. “Since it’ll go away once we answer two more riddles!”

Twilight – the Sorceress of the Atoll – nodded, holding her sheet of paper back up. “Okay. There are some other curses I might put on you foals, though. But I promise they’re all completely safe.”

“That’s no fun,” Pipsqueak sighed.

The other four foals rolled their eyes as the Sorceress scanned her list of riddles. “What’s harder to catch the faster you run?

The foals all thought a moment, looking between each other as they gathered around in a rough circle. “I think I know this one,” Rumble said. “It’s ‘your breath.’”

“Huh?” Snips asked. “Oh, right, right, I get it! ‘Cause you’re out of breath if you run too long.”

“You sure?” Pipsqueak asked.

“Positive,” Rumble said.

“Okay, then!” Snips said, turning around and looking at the Sorceress of the Atoll. “It’s…chocolate milk!

“What?” the Sorceress, and Snips’ crewmates, asked at the same time.

“Snips, that’s not the answer!” Bee Bop exclaimed.

“Yeah, but I want to see what the next curse is,” Snips said with a laugh.

The Sorceress blinked a few times, before shrugging. “Okay…” she said, horn glowing and magic wrapping around Snips. With a flash, her spell went off, and Snips found himself in possession of a long mustache and beard, curling from his muzzle down along his jawbone and with hair the same color as his mane.”

“Aw, neat!” Snips said when he noticed it, rubbing a hoof through it. “My dad said it’d be years before I could grow a mustache. But this looks awesome!” he turned around, brushing his mustache and waggling his eyebrows at Rumble, Pipsqueak, Applebloom, and Bee Bop. “How do I look?”

“We’re not really here for – ” Rumble began.

Really cool!” Bee Bop interrupted, hopping forward and inspecting it closely with no sense for personal space. The smaller colt blushed slightly at the filly examining him closely, though he didn’t have much of a chance to before Bee Bop turned to the Sorceress. “The answer to the next riddle is, um, cuttlefish!

“I haven’t even asked it yet…” the Sorceress observed, wincing a little at the volume of Bee Bop’s exclamation.

“So? It’s probably the wrong answer, right?”

Twilight rolled her eyes, horn glowing and sending a beam of magic into Bee Bop. A moment later, Bee Bop was turning in place and looking herself over eagerly, fluttering her wings, flicking her tail, scratching at her face. Nothing seemed to have changed, however. “Aw, I think you – ” she began, but stopped almost immediately, hooves to her mouth when she heard her voice. It had dropped down very low, becoming a deep drawl rather than her normal high-pitched and loud squeak.

“This. Is. AWESOME!” she exclaimed. “I have a bass voice now! Swing low, sweet chariot…”

“What’s the next riddle?” Rumble asked with a sigh. The deep voice at least made Bee Bop’s voice not hurt the ears as much.

“What tastes better than it smells?”

“A tongue – ” Rumble answered.

“Pears!” Applebloom answered at the same time.

Rumble and Pipsqueak both turned to look at the earth pony filly. “Come on, Applebloom!” Pipsqueak cried out.

Applebloom smiled guiltily. “Ah just wanted to know what was gonna happen next…” she said sheepishly.

Twilight considered. “Well, Rumble, you did get the right answer,” Twilight said, then looked to Applebloom. “But if you really want another curse on you…” She shot a bolt of magic at Applebloom.

Applebloom looked herself over, but, as with Bee Bop, noticed no physical change – besides the one she’d already been subject too, anyway. “Podozhdite, chto izmenilos’?” she asked, then paused. “Chto ya govoryu?”

“Huh?” Pipsqueak asked.

“Ya ne govoryu Konnyy sport bol’she!”

Twilight’s horn glowed again, as some magic appeared at her throat. “Vy govorite Zapad Grifon. Ne volnuytes’, eto budet stirat’sya kak i vse ostal’noye.”

Applebloom paused. “Slavnyy!”

The magic disappeared from Twilight’s throat, as she looked back to Pipsqueak and Rumble as Snips admired his moustache, Bee Bop put her new deep voice to use, and Applebloom talked to herself. “She’s speaking East Griffin now…I think. I’m still working on an Equestrian-to-Griffin spell.” She looked back to her list. “Anyway, just one more to go. Better make it a hard one…ah, here we go.” She smiled. “What two things can you never eat for breakfast?”

Pipsqueak and Rumble looked between each other, ignoring the actions of the rest of the crew. “Zucchini?” Rumble asked.

“I’ve had it,” Pipsqueak said. “Hmm…potato? Who wants potato for breakfast?”

“Home fries,” Rumble countered.

“Oh, right…” Pipsqueak looked at the Sorceress of the Atoll, sitting amongst her books with her magic flowing around her, eager to use it once more and lay another terrible curse upon the hapless crew of the Hispaniola – to his eyes, anyway. Probably a curse of madness given the way his crew was acting. “Never have for breakfast?” he asked.

The Sorceress grinned widely. “Never, ever, ever,” she responded.

The two pirates looked down in deep thought. What kind of food, Pipsqueak wondered, did you never, ever, ever eat for breakfast? He was coming up with a blank. Lettuce, tomatoes, eggs, peppers…everything could be eaten at any part of the day, even breakfast, couldn’t it? And thinking about drinks wasn’t helping, as he couldn’t think of anything that you couldn’t drink for breakfast…but there had to be some food…

“Oh! Got it!” Rumble announced, looking at the Sorceress of the Atoll. “Lunch and dinner!

Pipsqueak blinked. “Huh?” he asked.

Rumble look at him. “Can you eat lunch for breakfast?”

“Sure!” Pipsqueak answered. “I mean, I wouldn’t want a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast, but I could eat it!”

Rumble shook his head. “No, I mean – can you eat lunch at breakfast?

Pipsqueak’s head tilted to the side. “…yes?”

Rumble stared at him a moment, then shook his head and looked back to the Sorceress of the Atoll. “Lunch and dinner,” he repeated.

The Sorceress’s grin got even bigger, as she lifted into the air with power, eyes and horn both glowing with bright light as the books of her library soared through the air. Pipsqueak trembled a little at the display, certain that his first mate was about to be cursed into insanity, just as the rest of the crew had been. And then what? Only he would remain to stand against the Sorceress’ onslaught, and he wasn’t good with hard riddles, being the youngest foal on his crew and all. He’d be cursed too, forced to spend the rest of his days as a mad slave of the Atoll, never to get his hooves on the treasure and –

“Correct!” The Sorceress exclaimed.

“Huh?” Pipsqueak asked, as Applebloom, Bee Bop, and Snips each had their curses disappear from them – much to their own disappointment, from the looks of things.

The Sorceress of the Atoll set herself down on the floor again, the books putting themselves away save for one, which she held out to Rumble. The colt took it quickly, opening it up and paging through it. “…huh?” he asked after a moment. “Its blank!”

The rest of the crew came forward, looking over the book. Indeed, its pages, though seeming weather-worn, were all completely empty of any words or pictures as far as the foals could tell. Rumble looked to the Sorceress. “Are you sure this is the right one? Why’s it blank?”

The Sorceress of the Atoll merely tapped a hoof to the side of her muzzle. “It’s a secret,” she said. “It’ll make sense once you have all the keys and a full crew.”

Pipsqueak’s head turned to the side. “A full crew? But I already have a full crew!” he looked around at his shipmates. “Is this another riddle? ‘Cause I still don’t get your last one.”

The Sorceress only repeated her motion of tapping a hoof to her muzzle. “Can’t say any more than I already have,” she said, before setting her horn aglow and closing her eyes. “But you better get moving. You have more keys than either of the other crews…but, from the looks of things, one of the crews isn’t playing fair anymore.”

Author's Note:

Not much happened in this chapter. Mostly it's setup for the next one.