• Published 14th Apr 2014
  • 5,892 Views, 870 Comments

Regenerator 228 - Hopefullygoodgrammar



A Regenerator enters Equestria during the events of "The Return of Harmony" , bringing with it a whole slew of problems. a crossover with the Resident Evil series.

  • ...
28
 870
 5,892

Rainfall

Regenerator 228

Chapter 15


“Confound this blasted machine!”

Flam sighed and looked over the top of his newspaper at his clean-shaven brother. Flim had been tinkering with the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 for the better part of an hour and he hadn’t made much progress in fixing the damaged engine.

“Just give it up, brother dearest.” said Flam, his sigh ruffling his mustache.

“No!” shouted Flim in a rare display of anger, “This is our only fast mode of transportation and I’ll be a diamond dog’s daddy before I let this work of art die in its prime.” he shot his mustachioed sibling a glare, “And I’d greatly appreciate your most auspicious assistance.”

Flam sighed and hopped down from his position on top of the machine, he rolled up his already rolled-up sleeves and sidled up beside Flim, who had opened up the hood of the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 and was poking around its insides with a screwdriver.

“Alright, brother of mine, what am I to do?” he asked, not sounding the least bit enthused.

“We need to find the malfunction in this engine, Flam.” said Flim, not looking up.

Flam could tell by the way that his brother refused to look at him that he was angry. Though that was to be expected, considering that he had built the massive, clockwork machine without any help from him. He had said that “It was something that he had to do for himself.” and Flam had accepted that.

When most ponies saw the twins, they tended to think that the two did everything together or finish each others sentences like some old married couple, or something equally as ridiculous. They did play up the whole “Twin Thing” when they were “Performing”, but they were two very separate individuals outside of their performer shtick.

Flam had always been the one with ambition, seeing opportunity around every corner and embracing it in every form. Flim went along with his brother’s plans, mostly because he was a supportive brother, but also because he loved to build things and show them off.

Flam watched his brother sift through loosened gears and pipes with ever-growing exasperation, he considered telling him that he should take a break, but he knew that Flim would just glare at him and go back to his work.

So Flam let his clean-shaven brother do his tinkering, occasionally handing him different tools. One of Film's numerous faults was that he liked to do things with as much solitude as he could get away with. As such he had almost forgotten that he had even wanted his brother’s help.

After an hour Flam decided to break the silence, “So, dear brother, got any new invention ideas puttering around in your cranium?”

Flim stopped and heaved a sigh, “I’d prefer not to speak of my mental schematics, the mere idea of making another gadget to get you money is too much to bear at the moment.”

Flam blinked, “Excuse me? ‘My’ money? It’s our money, brother of mine. What’s gotten into you?”

Flim sighed and rested his horned head upon the bumper of the machine, “Never you mind, brother. I doubt that you would care for my thoughts at the moment.”

Flam put a hoof to his chest, “Why, Flim, I am utterly devastated that you would think that I wouldn’t care about what you have to say.” he moved and gently laid a hoof on his brother’s shoulder, “You can tell me anything.”

Flim took a deep breath and said, “I think that we should give up this lifestyle. I’m sick of conning ponies.”

Flam stared at his brother with shock written on his features. he stared at his brother for a moment longer…. before bursting into a guffaw, “Ha! A most excellent jest, brother of mine. Topical! Priceless, even!”

He stared expectantly at his brother, waiting for him to laugh too, but Flim merely sighed again, rose to his hooves and trotted around the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000.

Normally Flam would have let his brother go had he been in one of his moods, which-Flam realized- had been getting more frequent ever since they had left Ponyville, but this was different than the usual “I’ll never get it, never!” type of tantrum, by Tartarus, he wasn’t even sure that what had happened could be called a “tantrum” of any sort.

So Flam followed his brother. He found Flim sitting in the drivers seat with his head cradled in his hooves. “Are you alright?” asked Flam, dropping his usual arsenal of big words. His brother looked at him and Flam realized just how unbelievably tired he looked: there were dark bags under his eyes, his cheeks looked more hollow than usual and his hair was a tangled mess.

“No, not really,” He said, “ I’m just so tired of conning the masses, then getting run out of whichever town we’re in when they inevitably get fed up with your lies and cheats.”

Flam’s jaw dropped, then his brow furrowed in anger, “ MY lies and cheats?! Have you gone insane?”

“Your little schemes were all yours, not mine.” Flim retorted, getting up and pointing a hoof at his reddening brother, “You wanted to milk my inventions for everything, not me. You wanted to use singing and dancing to convince ponies to buy our snakeoil and you are the one who didn’t use my inventions for their intended purpose!”

“I am trying to provide for you, you fool!” roared Flam, getting in his brother’s face, “You were always the weak one, I always had to stand up for you when you got bullied, because you were too damn weak to stand up for-”

With a roar Flim lashed out and caught his brother in the jaw with a left hook that knocked him right out of the drivers seat, the blow had been painful, but the shock was even more so. Flam shakily got to his hooves and wiped a small trickle of blood away from his muzzle, he looked up at his brother and saw bitter tears running down his face.

“I just wanted to make other ponies’ lives better, but you just want to make a profit!” he said, his voice cracking.

“So you thought to punctuate your true feeling by punching me?!” yelled Flam.

“Well, at least you’re actually listening.” replied Flim.

“Oh I’m listening all right,” said Flam in a low voice “ and do you know what I hear? I hear a whining brat throwing a temper tantrum because his toy broke!”

Flim blanched and set his jaw, obviously trying to keep it from trembling. Flam realized almost instantly that he had just said the absolute worst thing that he could have said.

The guilt hit him hard and he opened his mouth to apologize, but his brother was already moving. Flim leaped out of the machine and bolted off into the night.

“Brother, wait!!” called Flam, galloping after his heartbroken brother, but, if Flim heard him, he didn’t give his brother any sign, he just kept running and Flam was losing ground.

The mustachioed salespony ran until the rocks on the dirt road cut his hooves, but Flim had gone from a black dot far ahead to a pinprick on the horizon.

Then he was gone.

********************************************************************************************

228 had never thought that he could blush, but the amount of praise and exclamations that the little pony known as Featherweight bestowed on his was proving him dead wrong.

“So you can regrow any limb you lose, are super strong AND super fast?!” he asked, dropping his more flowery speech pattern.

228 nodded, feeling a bit bashful.

“That is so cool!” exclaimed the little pony, “You’re like a superhero!”

228 felt blood rush to his hollow cheeks, tinting them a dark color. “Th-thank…*hhnn* you.”

Featherweight cocked his head, “Why does it take you so long to talk? It is because of your teeth? Because I’m not too sure, I mean, your teeth kinda fit together, kind of like a crocodile, so that shouldn’t be a hindrance.”

He walked closer to 228 and studied his new friend’s teeth closely, “Could you open your mouth for me? I’d love to see if I can find out what’s causing your speech impediment.”

228 slowly opened his mouth, revealing another row of fangs behind his front ones, as well as a long, black tongue that was shot through with purple veins. Most ponies would have cringed at the sight, but Featherweight simply narrowed his eyes and peered closer.

When he saw the extra row he gasped, “Wow! You’ve got an extra set of fangs, just like a shark. That must be why you have a hard time talking, that, and your long to tongue-Oh! Can you pick your nose with your tongue? ‘Cause that would be so awesome!”

228 raised a brow ridge and ran his tongue across his second row. He was about to respond when a loud scream cut through the air, Featherweight looked to the spot where the scream had come from and saw a familiar earth pony: Diamond Tiara.

Featherweight started to call out to her, but she was already running away. The foal turned to a very concerned-looking 228, “I’ve gotta go, I’ll see you later, okay?”

228 nodded and watched as he ran off, then, shaking his head, he stood up and continued his trek for fish.

*****************************************************************************************

It was raining out. The pegasi had really outdone themselves this time. thought Twilight as she watched the rain fall in sheets, she listened to the wind moan through the branches of her home and found her thoughts wandering to Fluttershy, I wonder if she’s talked with Mayor Mare yet, I hope she did, it is pretty important that the town accepts 228.

What will happen if they don’t? What if they think that he’s a monster? What if they get angry at Fluttershy for bringing him here?

The last thought sent a cold jolt through her spine and she shivered. She knew that the townsponies, as nice as they could be, were often of one mind about things, acting on their impulses almost like a hive mind. They had cheered for Twilight when she defeated the Ursa Minor, but had all laughed at her friends when Trixie humiliated them, they had accepted her with open arms, but had shunned Zecora.

It’s like they all have weird, invisible gauges in their heads that can go from Nice to Jerks in a second, I really should get around to giving them all a talk at some point. I’m so glad that Fluttershy didn’t go up on stage during that, it breaks my heart whenever I see her upset and the townsponies would have made her break down!

The image of a crying Fluttershy came to her mind just as there was a knock at the door, Twilight opened it to find the yellow pegasus with her hoof raised to knock again.

“Oh, hello Twi-” , Twilight interrupted her by pulling her into a tight hug, the image of her timid friend in tears still lingering in her mind.

“Uhmm… are you okay?” asked Fluttershy, blushing furiously.

“ ‘M fine.” replied Twilight, her voice muffled by Fluttershy’s soft fur. Twilight kept her embrace up for a surprisingly long time, not wanting to leave the unbelievably warm and soft pillow that Fluttershy was providing.

Sadly, she was gently pushed away by the yellow pegasus. Fluttershy looked her friend in the eye and repeated her question, Twilight gave her a small smile, “I was just thinking about all the times the townsponies were mean.”

“What are you talking about?” asked Fluttershy.

“I just think it’s odd that they can all be so….so… sheep-like! One minute they’re cheering and the next they’re booing and throwing things. I think I’m going to need to give them all a good lecture.”, Twilight smiled at Fluttershy, who looked down and began to paw at the floor, a gesture which Twilight thought was absolutely adorable, though the circumstances were quite awkward.

“That’s all very…. umm, interesting, but I came to talk to you about 228.”

Twilight perked up, “Oh, what’s wrong with him-I mean, is there something wrong?”

Fluttershy nodded, “I went to see Mayor Mare and she wants to meet 228. I told her that I’d go tell him and, when I went back, I found him asleep. I started to wake him up, but he… he said something, I’m sure that he was still dreaming, but he said ‘five more minutes, madre’.”

Twilight blinked, then she opened her mouth to ask what the word “madre” meant. Then her Ponyera lessons kicked in and her face fell, “Oh dear.”

“The poor dear misses his mother and he’s only 16!” said Fluttershy, tearing up.

“What?” asked Twilight, “But-but he’s taller than Big Macintosh, how can he be 16 when he’s that tall?”

“Maybe that’s just how his species grows?” suggested Fluttershy, though she sincerely doubted that that was the case, she still had the occasional nightmare about what she saw 228 go through; it wouldn’t have been a stretch for the other creatures to perform some kind of horrific surgery to make his limbs longer.

“So what happened after that?” asked Twilight, snapping her out of her thoughts, “Did he get angry? Sad? Something in between?”

Fluttershy sighed, “I think he was in pain the moment he opened his eyes.”

Twilight “Pain?”.

Fluttershy hid her face behind her mane, “Yeah.”

Twilight started to ask, but Fluttershy had already started to leave. Sensing that she had said something wrong, Twilight took off and caught up to the timid pegasus. Twilight started to ask her what she had done when she saw the tears dripping down Fluttershy’s cheeks to mingle with the falling rain, Oh, I really messed up. she thought frantically.

“Fluttershy, what’s wrong? What did I say?” she asked.

“It’s not what you said,” whimpered Fluttershy, “ it’s what I said.”

Twilight leaned in and brushed Fluttershy’s long mane out of her eyes, “What did you say?”

The tearful pegasus sniffled, “I don’t want to talk about it… at least not out here.”

“Would you like to go inside?” offered Twilight, finding herself hoping against hope that her friend would accept her invitation and her help. Fluttershy sighed, then nodded and began to walk back to the library; Twilight kept an even pace and stayed by her side until they were safely inside and away from prying eyes.

Once the door was closed Fluttershy plopped down in the middle of the floor and stared off into space. Twilight levitated a towel over and offered it to Fluttershy, who took it and draped it over her thin shoulders.

Twilight sat down and looked Fluttershy in the eye, “You don’t have to tell me anything that you don’t want to, you know that right? If you don’t want to talk then I’m fine with us staying here and waiting the storm out, I can even give you a good book and we can read together.”

Fluttershy shook her head, “No, I’ve been keeping this buried for too long and I need to get this off my chest.”

Clearing her throat, she began, “When I was a foal I was actually a pretty good flier, my parents, Star Glow and Wing Flitter, were so proud of me. I remember the first time that I completed an aerial lap around our house, they hugged me so tightly I could feel their heartbeats. I had never been happier, I got proud of my skills and, since there was nopony else around but my family, I was allowed to be prideful.

“But then I went to Flight School and everypony was far, far better than me. The bullies mocked me, the teachers ignored my attempts to please them and I had no friends… I was slowly but surely turned hollow by the sheer misery.

But then Rainbow Dash came along and she brought light back into my life, I stopped focusing on my flight and started to focus on my true calling: caring for animals, and Rainbow Dash was with me every step of the way.”

Here Fluttershy paused and smiled, through her eyes were getting watery, then, in a shaking voice she finished her story: “ But there was something wrong, I had been sending my parents letters ever since I arrived and they had responded to each and every one of them. But then, one day, the responses stopped coming. I wondered what was wrong, but my worry kept getting pushed aside by my fun times with Rainbow, or my reasoning that they were too busy. But I knew that something was very wrong.

Then the letter came. It said that my parents had both died in a freak weather accident. After that I sort of drew further back into myself, I moved to Ponyville with Rainbow Dash, started to make a name for myself as a veterinarian, but I wasn’t happy.”

Fluttershy lifted her head and locked eyes with Twilight, “And then you came and you made me feel truly happy.” she shrugged the towel off and walked to Twilight, then, with tears in her eyes, she pulled the unicorn into a tight hug, “You showed me the magic of friendship.”

The two stayed in that warm and wonderful embrace until the storm stopped and Celestia’s sun shone through and warmed their coats with its golden rays.

********************************************************************************

The rain had stopped in Ponyville, but it was still falling on the lonely road that Flam was sitting on.

He had given up shortly after having lost sight of Flim, now he was sitting in the mud, letting the cold rain pelt him. The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 was maybe a mile or two away, but Flam didn’t want to move.

I drove him away. he thought miserably, I made him leave with my insults and my lies. It’s all my fault. he placed a muddy hoof to his face and began to cry gently.

He was too deep in his own sadness to hear the sound of wingbeats approaching at a slow, calculated pace that, had he heard it, would have sounded to him like the beating of an old heart.

Or maybe a death knoll.

He didn’t hear the Leader alight on the ground next to him, it was only when the Plagas made a coughing noise did he take notice,

Flam opened his mouth to yell, but the Leader shot forward and wrapped a powerful tentacle around his throat.

Hush now, there’s no need to scream. she cooed as tears of terror replaced the tears of guilt in Flam’s eyes, I promise you that you’ll feel much better once you’ve been Purified.

Then the Leader rose up to her full height and a swollen, oozing slit opened up in her head, from the slit emerged three powerful, chitinous, barbed legs that dug into Flam’s jaw and forced his mouth open. The Leader leaned in, folded her wings tightly across her body, retracted her tentacles, and forced her way down Flam’s throat.

Flam fell to the ground, his body spasming and his throat stretching to near -bursting, he pawed at his jaw just as the Leader’s tail disappeared down his throat.

Flam’s body gave one final spasm, then went limp.

He lay there and the rain continued to fall. A puddle of muddy water slowly formed around his body, staining his colorful clothes brown and washing the blood from his mouth. To anypony passing by, he’d have looked as dead as dust, but there was activity on the inside.

The Leader was making changes to her new host, but, when she got Flam’s body to its hooves, the only sign that something was wrong was the red tint that the whites of his eyes had taken, but that could easily be blamed on his sadness.

The Leader tested out the limbs, working out any kinks and stretching every muscle. Then she moved Flam’s mouth and waggled his eyebrows, she tested his voice and found it to be pleasing, his voice was smooth and charming. Finally she tested her vessel’s magic and found that she could levitate several large things at once.

This will be perfect. she thought as she began to settle in.

****************************************************************************

Discord stood before his army of monsters and smiled at each of them. He had created indestructible bubbles around their claws, teeth and other killing body parts.

In other words: an army of non-lethal weapons of mass chaos.

Discord conjured a pop gun and a starting line. “Alright, gentlethings, I have but one goal for the lot of you: have fun, cause sweet chaos and don’t kill anypony… actually that’s three, but who’s counting?”

The draconequus raised the pop gun and exclaimed, “On your mark, get set, go!”

Then he raised the gun and fired a stream of confetti. With a cacophony of roars, howls, hisses and snarls the monsters were set loose upon an unsuspecting Equestria.