• Published 12th Apr 2014
  • 7,484 Views, 470 Comments

Equestria Girls: The Looking Glass World of Cheese and Pie - scoots2



COMPLETE. Pinkie Pie gets her chance to run the Canterlot Cake Festival, but she’s not allowed to run it alone. She’s forced to take an assistant, an accordion-playing geeky new student, who is both very familiar and very strange.

  • ...
21
 470
 7,484

Only When It's Funny

Rainbow Dash glanced over to where Soarin was lounging back in his chair, with four cheerleaders practically draped over him.

“Meh,” she muttered. “Win one game, and all of a sudden you’re some kind of big bad hero.”

“Shh, Rainbow!” Fluttershy hissed. “We’re supposed to be reviewing the Triple Agreement of Prance, Allemaneia, and Great Bitain!”

“What?” replied Rainbow Dash defensively. “If Harshwhinny’s gonna go after anyone, it’ll be Soarin and his fan club over there. Honestly, they should just get themselves a room. And like anyone can concentrate with all of that weird stuff going on. Freaky, huh? I thought that stopped last week, and now here it is again.”

It had been very difficult to concentrate all day. Bizarre sounds were floating through the PA system—musical runs like those of a harmonica, or the short toots of party horns. Confetti launched itself out of wastepaper baskets and air ducts. Every so often, the scent of nachos or fruit punch would waft through the air. It was as though some eerie metaphysical party were trying to break through. Ms. Harshwhinny was fully occupied keeping her notes intact on the whiteboard; they kept erasing themselves and drawing smiley faces, suns, and stars instead. Rainbow Dash was right. She and Fluttershy could have held a conversation at full volume and their teacher wouldn’t have noticed.

“Still,” murmured Fluttershy, “we shouldn’t draw any attention to ourselves. Are you sure you’re ok with doing this?”

“I promised I would,” said Rainbow. “I still don’t know what to think about Cheese, but I’ll trust you on this one. Now, what’s the plan?”

Fluttershy sketched a quick diagram on the back of the study guide Ms. Harshwhinny had given them. “Cheese is on the ground floor,” she said, tracing their route with her pencil. “It’s that classroom next to the old chemistry lab. When the bell rings, we’ll fly right down there as fast as we can and unlock the door so I can talk to him.”

“Good,” said Rainbow Dash, following the diagram with her eyes and nodding. “I’d like to hear his explanation firsthand.”

Long strands of silky pink hair shifted and settled as Fluttershy shook her head. “Oh, no,” she said. “You have to race back to class the second we get the door open. You shouldn’t get into any more trouble.”

Rainbow Dash furrowed her eyebrows. “What about you?”

Fluttershy looked her old friend directly in the eye. “I don’t have anything for eighth period,” she said, “and I don’t get into trouble all that much.”

“Ever,” the other girl corrected.

Fluttershy shrugged in acknowledgment. “I suppose Vice Principal Luna could give me a detention, but,” she drew a deep breath, “I’m willing to risk that. Are you ready?”

The two girls quietly put away their belongings, trying not to draw the attention of Ms. Harshwhinny. She was usually very strict about not packing up before class was over, but fortunately, she was too distracted by party phenomena and by Soarin and his groupies to notice. When the bell rang, they darted down the corridor and down the stairs as though they had wings on their heels. It wasn’t until they actually reached the room where Cheese was detained that they realized the flaw in their plan.

“I thought you knew how to open locked doors!” Fluttershy wailed under her breath, as they crouched down, desperately trying to force the lock.

Rainbow Dash snorted. “Pssht, yeah, when I can kick ‘em down,” she replied. “We can try wiggling the doorknob.”

This did not work. Neither did the hairpin Dash borrowed from Fluttershy; it was withdrawn, twisted and bent. Meanwhile, their time was running out.

“Dangit,” Rainbow Dash snarled, peering into the lock’s interior, as Fluttershy bent down by her side. “If Pinkie were here and she wanted to get on the other side of that door, she’d be there by now. We need Pinkie for this—Pinkie, or someone like . . .”

There was a brief rattle, a pop, and the door cracked open. Both girls froze in place. Their eyes traveled upwards, and they saw Cheese Sandwich looking down at them, holding the doorknob on the other side of the door. Their jaws dropped.

“Thank you for coming to get me,” he said, and smiled.


~~

Rainbow Dash zoomed off to class, while Cheese pulled Fluttershy inside the classroom he’d been locked in. The door had scarcely snicked shut when he asked, eyes wide and muscles tense with anxiety, “How's Pinkie?”

“She’s getting better,” replied Fluttershy, a little anxious herself at Cheese’s intensity.

“Is she still in the hospital?” he pressed.

“Oh, no,” Fluttershy said, shaking her head. “She’s been home for days and days.”

“They didn’t hold her?” he pressed further.

“No,” Fluttershy said. Unconsciously, she began to use the tone of voice she would have used had Cheese been a panicked cat or dog brought in to the rescue center: kindly, but firm.
“Cheese, she’s at home and getting better. You believe me, don’t you?”

He paused, his eyes searching hers. At last he said, “Yes, I believe you.”

Fluttershy sat at one of the desks, her legs crossed at the ankle and her hand flat on the desk’s surface. If she had hoped that her placid posture would calm Cheese down, she was disappointed. He was still hovering near the teacher’s desk, still wide-eyed and hyperalert. “It’s just that I don’t know anything about what’s been going on, and the last time I saw Pinkie was in the hospital, and I thought that maybe. . .”

Fluttershy frowned. “Does this have anything to do with Pinkie’s bipolar disorder?” She thought for a moment. “You have it too, don’t you?”

Cheese sat down suddenly on the desk, jaw dropped. “You know about Pinkie? You know about me? How? Did Applejack tell you?”

She shook her head. “Oh, no. Applejack would never tell. I know because Pinkie’s one of my best friends. We all know. We all look out for each other. I knew as soon as I saw her last week . . .”

“You saw her? Is she ok?” Cheese said, interrupting her.

“Yes,” Fluttershy went on. “As I said, she’s getting better, but I could see how wound up she was, and I felt bad about not noticing before. And with you—I just guessed, but it made sense once I thought about it. No, they didn’t keep Pinkie, but I think they adjusted her medications. I’ll tell you what’s been going on and anything you want to know in a minute, but first, tell me—how are you?”

Cheese shrugged. “How should I be? There’s nothing to tell. I’m grounded. I have to go straight to school and come straight home. Aunt Mela’s got my laptop and my phone. She’s ex-FBI, so there was no point in trying to make it harder to access my files than it already was. Luckily, she didn’t find any porn or anything illegal on them, so she just locked them up. Did you look at that website, by the way?”

“What website?” Fluttershy said.

“The one I put on that note.”

“Oh,” said Fluttershy. “That’s what it was.”

“I uploaded some pictures of the accident Applejack took with my phone. I knew it was as good as impounded, so I had to work fast. You mean you didn’t see them?” Fluttershy shook her head. “Well, for gosh sake, forward the address to Vice Principal Luna right now. She needs to see those.”

“Ok,” said Fluttershy, as she sent the email.

“I’m lucky it was Aunt Mela and not my mother who got hold of my phone and my laptop. My mother would have gone through everything on there. And while we’re on the subject of my mother, she thinks this is proof positive that I’m dangerously mentally ill, and she’s all for getting me put somewhere for my own good and for the safety of myself and others. I’d bet anything she’s trying to do that right now, but for some reason, it’s been a little tougher than usual orchestrating that from Saddle Arabia. I think that maybe this time, everyone doesn’t agree with her. Vice Principal Luna hinted at that.”

“What happened with Vice Principal Luna?”

“Well, I’m suspended, obviously,” said Cheese, “and she’s making some kind of inquiry. I begged her to give me something to do, and she said if I really wanted to have something to do that badly, I could take finals early. I’d been locked up a whole day by then, and I was ready to scream with boredom, so I said yes. They were much harder than I thought they’d be. How much material does one of your finals usually cover?”

“Oh, um—a semester, or a unit. Sometimes it’s a whole year.”

Cheese frowned. “That’s weird. I could have sworn they covered almost everything I’ve learned since ninth grade and then some, but I’ve been in and out of lots of schools by now, so what do I know? Anyway, that’s everything, so please tell me what’s been happening, and start with Pinkie, and don’t leave anything out.”

He sat on the desk as Fluttershy told him everything that had been going on for the last week and a half. At first, he was anxiously perched there: not so much seated as hovering like a hummingbird. She explained that Pinkie really wasn’t in any danger. While it wasn’t clear that he was fully persuaded of this, he settled more firmly onto the desk and sat there, his legs crossed and his chin pillowed on his fist, his tall, thin body bent into sharp angles like a folding ruler, and simply listened without interrupting.

She told him about the way they had stepped in to continue his and Pinkie’s work for the Cake Festival, and he smiled. His brows creased when she went on to describe the bizarre noises, confetti, and random jokes coming through the PA system. If he understood anything more about them than she did, he gave no sign of it. Without intending to, she found herself talking a lot about Rainbow Dash and almost defending her: how crushed she’d been at the disastrous Cloudsdale match and at the Comets game, how much she depended on her success as an athlete, how lost she felt without it.

“And I don’t blame her, Cheese,” she concluded. “You weren’t there for the Cloudsdale game, but I was, and we were at school there together, and . . . and it wasn’t very nice,” she finished lamely.

“When you say, ‘it wasn’t very nice’ in that tone . . .” Cheese shook his head. “Rainbow Dash must want to kill me.”

“Oh, not anymore!” Fluttershy said with a sudden smile, and then murmured with downcast eyes, “oh, um . . . sorry. Yes, she was very mad at you at first for getting her kicked off the soccer team, but now she understands that it was mostly her own fault . . . I think. What she’s really upset about is Pinkie. She says Pinkie does all kinds of crazy things and doesn’t get hurt, and that there’s something fishy about it if she did. She thinks maybe if she’d been there, Pinkie wouldn’t have gotten hurt, and I think—please don’t get mad, Cheese—I think she thought it was your fault.” She held up her hand as Cheese unfolded himself and leaned forward for an angry retort. “I don’t think she thinks that anymore, because Applejack said Pinkie would have been hurt a lot worse if it weren’t for you, but she doesn’t understand how Pinkie got hurt and you walked away without a scratch, especially if you tried to help. She wants to know how that happened and why.”

Cheese’s eyes narrowed. “And you do, too, don’t you? Is he crazy, or a freak, or both? And you were wondering why I don’t even try to make friends.”

Fluttershy shook her head and squeezed her eyes tight. “That’s not fair at all. I just wanted to know. I’m sorry,” she quavered, and then clamped her lips to stop them from trembling.

Cheese ran his hands down his face. “No, I’m sorry. I really am. It’s been a rough couple of weeks, and I almost forgot I had any friends at all. I’ll try to explain, but it’s a lot easier to show you than to tell you. Is that ok?”

She nodded, eyes still shut and lips still clamped. He slid off the desk, walked over to her, leaned down, and put his hand on her shoulder. “Are you upset about anything?”

She burst into tears. “Y-yes!” she wailed. “I’m upset about Pinkie and I’m upset about you, and Dashie’s so miserable and I’m upset about that, and all I want is for my friends to be ok and to be friends again!” She folded her arms on the desk and dropped her head on them, sobbing.

“Uh,” said Cheese, awkwardly dropping his hand and stepping back, “do you need to be cheered up? Yeah, obviously,” he muttered to himself, and then he added aloud, “This bit is important, Fluttershy. Would seeing something funny help?” She nodded, her head still buried in her arms. “That’s all I needed to know. Watch this.”

He began backing up. Fluttershy lifted her head, dried her eyes, and opened them as Cheese muttered, “slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch,” until he backed up into a chair and fell completely over it in a backwards somersault, landing on his feet and knocking the chairs into a rolling series of crashes, like an enormous set of dominoes. Startled, he jumped straight up into the air, eyes bugging out, hair standing on end, and legs cycling on nothing, and then he ran straight through the wall, leaving a perfectly Cheese-shaped hole. There were crashing and tinkling noises from the old chemistry lab next door, and finally a small explosion.

Fluttershy covered her mouth with her hands, her eyes wide, until Cheese poked his head back through the hole. He was apparently completely unharmed, although he was covered from head to foot in plaster dust, which made his curly hair appear prematurely gray. “You ok?”

Fluttershy began to giggle and then to laugh until the tears streamed down her face. “Wow,” said Cheese, stepping back into the room through the hole as she sniffed and blew her nose, “you must have needed a laugh more than I thought.” He turned to look at the devastation he’d left, and sighed. “This is really going to dent my savings account, and then some.” Some drywall crumbled and crashed. In the chemistry lab next door, something shattered. “For years. Anyway—does that explain things, or make it more confusing?”

Fluttershy stood up, gaping at him, “How did you do that?” She started brushing some of the drywall dust off him. “How does that even work?”

Cheese furrowed his brows, ruffling his hair so that the dust rose out of it like a cloud. “I’m not sure, but I think it only works if it’s funny. One time at a party at school, I walked out of a third floor window, plummeted straight down, and stuck the landing. I was perfectly fine. I wish the headmaster had felt the same way when he saw me zoom past. I thought he was going to have a heart attack. I don’t know why he was so upset; I waved at him and everything. I tried it again a week later when some kid bet me fifty dollars I couldn’t, and that’s how I wound up with a pin in my leg. That was the end of me at that school. So it works if it’s funny, most of the time, but not if I’m just being a smartass.” He leaned over and fluffed some more of the white dust out of his hair.

Fluttershy stopped brushing his shirt and sat down on the teacher’s desk. Her brows contracted with thought. “So if that’s why you didn’t get hurt when you helped Pinkie . . .”

“Oh, I did get hurt,” he said, head still upside down. “Went straight off the ladder and broke my arm, but it healed right up again. I didn’t know I was going to be all right, because it doesn’t work 100% of the time, but I didn’t have time to think about it, anyway.” He gave his head a last shake, and then righted himself.

“If it only works when it’s funny, though,” Fluttershy continued, “why did your arm do that? Why weren’t you killed? That doesn’t sound very funny to me.”

He sat down next to her and tilted his head, considering. “I’ve been trying to figure that out, too, and all I can think is that if Pinkie had gotten killed, it would have been the unfunniest thing ever to happen. I don’t know if I’ve got enough laughter to handle that. Besides, I really owe Pinkie. I’ve known her a lot longer than any of you think.” He slid back on the desk, leaned on his elbows, and sighed, one corner of his mouth turned up in the smallest of smiles.

“I never thought I’d see her again,” he said, his eyes focused on something far away. “When I was pulled out of my last school and my mother gave me one final chance and shipped me off to Great Aunt Mela, I didn’t think anything about Canterlot. It didn’t have any associations for me. All I was thinking was ok, Cheese, you’ve really got to keep your head down and survive this one. Just do what they tell you to, or else. No more goofing off, no more laughter, and no more parties. But like a dummitz, I had to play at the train station one last time, and Rarity found me and pulled me into Sugarcube’s . . .”

“Well, first it was her voice. It hasn’t changed all that much. It’s still the purest soprano I’ve ever heard, like the littlest bell in a carillon. Rarity was saying something, I don’t even remember what, because I was shaking my head and thinking, I know that voice, but I couldn’t place it. Then she popped up from behind the counter and I saw those pink curls, and I just thought, Oh, my God, it’s her.


~~

The small boy sat on a rock by the side of the road, his brown curls already flattening from the sweat rolling down the back of his neck. He wished his mother hadn’t made him wear a long sleeved white shirt and undershirt with khakis for a stupid car trip. At least he’d been able to remove the tie once they got on the road and she wasn’t looking.

He watched the heat shimmer off the road. There wasn’t much else to look at: nothing but different-sized rocks on top of a landscape as flat as a pancake. Further down the road, he could hear his parents, arguing about whose fault it was that the car had died. “Your fault-your fault, your fault-your fault,” the way it always went. He wished they’d hurry up and just get a divorce already, like everyone else’s parents. That made two useless wishes today, and it wasn’t even over.

He took off his glasses, wiped the sweat off his face with his sleeve, and replaced them again. He didn’t see why moving to Manehattan would make things any better. It would just be another school where he had to be the new kid again and put up with the new kid teasing. It was discouraging that no one other than teachers really bothered to learn his name, but since he never got the chance to settle anywhere for long, he supposed they had a point.

A third wish crossed his mind, but it was dumb even to think about it. Everyone was much too busy right now. There was no point in wishing for . . .

“Hey!” someone right behind him squeaked, so suddenly that he bit his tongue. “You’re not allowed to be sad on your birthday!”

He whirled around, and his mouth fell open. There stood a little girl with shocking pink tousled curls, and wide, wide blue eyes, as blue as the summer sky. She was wearing a pink and blue pinafore, and a broad, brilliant smile. The strings to three balloons—two blue and one yellow—were twisted around her wrist. Everything about her was impossible.

Where had she come from? The ground was flat in every direction; he couldn’t see how she could just have appeared like that without his noticing. Where did she get those balloons? Who was she? But all that came out after a full minute of stammering, was . . .

“How did you know it was my birthday?”

She shrugged. “Just did, is all. I’m doing this wrong,” she added, scowling with concentration. She took a deep breath, broke into a smile even more brilliant than the last, and announced, “Hi, I’m Pinkie Pie! I’m here to throw you a party and make you smile!”

What followed was the best day ever. They played I Spy, even though there wasn’t anything to spy but rocks, and Hide And Go Seek, even though there wasn’t anything to hide behind but rocks. They split a cookie she suddenly remembered she had in her pinafore, and it was delicious, despite being mostly crumbs because she’d sat on it. He’d never laughed so much in his life. When his mother called out sharply that the car was fixed, and that it was time for him to get in it, NOW, the little girl gave him a quick, impulsive hug around the neck and a kiss on the cheek.

“Here,” she whispered, thrusting the balloon strings into his hand. “Everybody ought to have a birthday present!” As the car pulled out, he waved from the back window until he couldn’t see the little figure waving back anymore.

He turned around and sat down, the balloons brushing the cheek she’d kissed, and wondered if he had remembered to mention his name. Probably not: he often didn’t, unless he was prompted. Oh, well, it didn’t matter; that really had been the best day ever. He ignored the monologue coming from the front seat about dust, dirt, sweat, and ruining his clothes. He felt a great bubble of joy rising inside. Suddenly, he couldn’t wait to get to Manehattan. There were lots of people there, and he wanted to get them all together and help them all be happy and they’d all eat food and play games and have a party, but not like those parties his mother threw, where no one had a good time. These would be the kind where everyone had fun, even if all they had were rocks and cookie crumbs. He’d get to Manehattan, get his accordion out of the trunk, and start making people laugh the way She did. That was the way he’d already begun to think of her: She, with a capital S.

The car pulled up in front of the apartment building, and he scrambled out eagerly, only to be stopped by his mother.

“Cheese, those balloons are filthy,” she said, taking hold of their strings. “It’s time to get rid of them. They’re going to deflate soon anyway. Give them to Mama.”

“No!” he shouted, clinging to them more tightly.

“Cheese!” she snapped, “give Mama the balloons!” And with that, she ripped the strings out of his hands, and let the balloons go.


~~

“I wanted those balloons,” Cheese told Fluttershy, who had been drinking this story in, “so I went after them. Fifteen feet, straight up.” He frowned. “I think that’s when she decided that one of us was crazy, and it certainly wasn’t her. I don’t know what got her down most—the confetti coming from nowhere, the juggling, or the laughter. I even made my father laugh a couple of times, and I wasn’t sure he could do that. And she definitely didn’t like my running through walls and pulling juggling balls from nowhere. You know how at awards dinners, people stand up and say ‘blah-blah-blah, meeting so-and-so changed me?’ Well, meeting Pinkie Pie really changed me. The older I got, the more it bothered her and the harder she tried to get back the normal kid who shut up and did what he was told, but he didn’t exist anymore. As soon as the mood swings kicked in—her side of the family, by the way—she could tell herself that this explained everything, and that there wasn’t anything wrong with me that a good, long stint in the hospital or a special school couldn’t fix, no matter how long it took.”

“That must have been hard,” murmured Fluttershy, her hand cupped in her chin.

“It wasn’t easy,” he agreed, “but I had laughter on my side. It’s a powerful weapon. And in case I ever forgot that, I had these.” He pulled his wallet out from his pants pocket, unzipped an interior partition, and extracted a bundle of strings twisted together. At its center lay three very faded, very old balloons—two blue and one yellow.

“I kept these as a reminder. No matter how bad you feel, something can come around the corner that changes everything. That smile you gave away to a stranger might have meant everything to them. I’m fairly sure Pinkie’s smile didn’t mean anything to her, because she smiles all the time, but it changed my whole life. It might even have saved it. Of course I threw myself off a ladder for her. I owe her. I can stand being grounded, and I can stand being suspended, and I can even stand thinking about being shipped off to some kind of institution again, but worrying about Pinkie was making me crazy.”

Fluttershy sat silent for a long time. Finally she nodded and rose to her feet. “Right,” she said, picking up her backpack and leading the way to the door. “Let’s go.”

“What are you doing?” asked Cheese, as he grabbed his own backpack and followed her.

“What someone should already have done long ago,” she said. “I’m getting you out of here, and I’m taking you to see Pinkie.”

A few quick clicks, and they were out of the supposedly locked room. Neither of them was there when the wall slowly began sealing itself up again.


~~

Fluttershy’s car was an ancient station wagon, and it smelled truly terrible. The back was filled with old towels and humane traps she used for Trap-Neuter-Release. Some of the old tomcats she caught objected to their upcoming change of personality, and they had expressed themselves in the only way they knew how. Cheese didn’t say anything, but his nose wrinkled as they dropped their backpacks next to the traps and got into the car.

Fluttershy hit the gas and peeled out of the parking lot. “It’s like a jailbreak, isn’t it?” she burbled. “It’s so exciting.” Off she raced, the car swaying with its antique suspension. One of the many bumper stickers on the back read I BRAKE FOR EVERYTHING, which meant that her extra speed was frequently interrupted by sudden stops and starts.

“Here,” she said, flipping Cheese her phone as the car rounded a curb with a squeal. “Call your Aunt Mela and tell her you’ll be home late. Just go ahead and do it.” He shook his head, but punched in the numbers.

“Um, hi, Aunt Mela, it’s Cheese. Uh—I wanted to know, I mean—I’m going to be home a little late today. I need to visit a sick friend. – No, really, I’m really visiting a sick friend. – Um, that squealing sound? It was rusty machinery. Listen, can I have at least till 4:30? What? You’re kidding. You’re kidding! Well, yeah! Six is great! See you then!” He hung up the phone. “I have till six!” he whooped. “AND I’m un-grounded, AND I’m getting my phone back! The Mastermind of Muenster strikes again!” He pumped his fists.

“Um, what did you do?” murmured Fluttershy, swerving into another lane.

“Oh, well—let’s just say I didn’t have anything to do, what with my phone and my laptop gone and being grounded. All I had was my accordion. And somehow, all the misery made me forget every single piece of music I knew, except for the Beer Barrel Polka. I don’t know, though—I couldn’t seem to get that one right, either, so I had to keep repeating this one phrase, over and over: ‘blues on the run,’ ‘blues on the run.’ Half the time I got it right, and the other half I didn’t.” He chortled, and his eyes gleamed. “Oh, yes, she’s glad to get me out of the house and communicating with my friends again.”

Fluttershy abruptly swung the car into a parking lot, pulled into a spot clearly marked LOADING ZONE, killed the motor, and yanked the parking brake. “Is my evil rubbing off on you?” Cheese wondered.

“We’re right behind Sugarcube’s now,” Fluttershy hissed. “We can get you in the back door and up the stairs without anyone seeing you. Come on.”

“But—I’m not grounded anymore,” Cheese protested. “I don’t have to be home for hours. I’ve got permission to be here.”

“Shh!”

They slipped up the stairs, which were narrow and winding. Once they must have been the stairs used by the servants. Now that the building was the Cakes’ bakery, coffeehouse, and home, the back stairway served as private access for the residents and their guests. The smells of freshly baked goods and coffee wafted past them. They paused for a moment next to the door leading to the Cakes’ own home: their living room and kitchen, and their bedrooms and the twins’ nursery, a floor above that. Finally, they reached the very top of the staircase: the entrance to Pinkie Pie’s garret bedroom. Fluttershy knocked at the door.

“Pinkie Pie? It’s Fluttershy. Can I come in? And I brought a friend.”

“Sure!” a high pitched little voice chirped, and Cheese dropped his face into his hands. “Come on in!”

Fluttershy pushed open the door. Pinkie sat crosslegged at the head of her bed and waved.

“Hiya, Fluttershutter! I am super excited to have you come and—CHEESIE! I just knew you would come!” she squealed, and launched herself off the bed. She flung her arms around his neck so tightly that he almost choked before he could grab her. Her feet, clad in puffy alligator-shaped slippers, waved almost a foot from the floor.

“Whoa!” he said, brilliantly red in the face, as he placed her down. “Aren’t you supposed to be sick?”

“I, um, thought you were supposed to stay in bed,” murmured Fluttershy.

“Pssht,” retorted Pinkie, leaping back onto the bed. “I’m fine. I don’t remember much about the accident, but that’s supposed to be normal. Just waiting to see the doctor tomorrow so he can officially tell me I can go back to school and not a second too soon, because I am so bored!” She crossed her legs and bounced back to where she’d been seated at the head of the bed in one spring. “C’mon! Have some seats!”

Fluttershy and Cheese seated themselves. Fluttershy perched on a puffy round polka-dotted ottoman with a short back and tried not to slip backwards. Cheese folded himself onto a straight-backed chair at Pinkie’s desk.

The room was a nearly perfect circle, with windows that ran right around it. The curtains were drawn to shut out the spring sunshine and keep the room darkened, but some light filtered in through the skylight. “Pull the curtains,” begged Pinkie Pie. “It’s so dark, and I don’t need it dark anymore. I want to see you guys.”

Cheese leaned over and pulled the curtain cords. The afternoon sunlight slanted in, and revealed a room with a large wardrobe that bulged with fluffy skirts, balloons, and streamers. Sample invitations and programs from every event Pinkie had organized or party she had thrown were pinned up around the walls—and there were a lot of them. On the nightstand stood a picture of Pinkie’s family: a stern looking bearded man, his wife, and his four daughters; more photographs of them were hung up around the walls. Pinkie Pie herself sat ensconced at the head of the bed, clad in light blue pajamas with yellow buttons.

“Wow,” stammered Cheese. “You look good, Pinks. I mean, you look better than I thought you would. Um, well—I’m just happy to see you.”

“And boy, am I glad to see you!” said Pinkie, bouncing up and down on the bed. “I missed you a lot. I thought I’d scream from the boredom those first few days. I was gonna go loco in the coco! I was so glad you kept calling me, ‘cause I was bored, bored, bored.”

Cheese looked at her incredulously. “What calls? I didn’t call you.”

Pinkie’s lower lip stuck out and her forehead contracted with confusion. “Well—sure you did,” she said, sounding almost hurt. “You called, like, several times a day at first, just asking how I was. And you kept saying everything was fine, but I could tell it wasn’t fine at all, Cheesie, but I figured I’d just make you tell me all about it later. And I think you should stop playing ‘Beer Barrel’ so much, ‘cause it’s driving your Aunt Mela crazy.”

Cheese frowned. “But—but I didn’t even have a—oh!” he said, and grinned, leaning back and crossing one long leg over the other. “Well, hey,” he added modestly, “it was nothing. Glad I could help. I’m still glad to see you’re ok. So you think the doctor’s going to let you come back soon?”

“Absotootley-lootley!” Pinkie replied.

“Um,” murmured Fluttershy, “I, um, think I’m going to go and get a vanilla latte now. I’ll be back—later—sooner or later.” She slipped out of the room.

It took her a while to get that vanilla latte. Strictly speaking, it took a lot longer than it actually needed to. In fact, it took longer than it actually took. Finally, she made her way up the stairs again and tapped on the door. She opened it, and Pinkie and Cheese were chatting away. If either of them had noticed she’d been gone, they didn’t mention it. She sipped her latte for a few minutes, and then coughed unconvincingly.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” she murmured. “I think my latte went down the wrong way.”

“Oh, Stilton,” said Cheese, glancing at his watch. “Is that the time? I have to be home at six.”

“Aw,” said Pinkie, and pouted. “Well, I hope I’ll be back on Wednesday, so not too long now, right? Then we’ll really have to get cracking on the Cake Festival, ‘cause we don’t have much time left.”

“Yes, Boss,” he said, smiling.

“I like it when you call me Boss,” she said, smiling back.

“I know. Well, goodnight, Pinkie.”

“Goodnight!”


~~

“Thanks for taking me to see Pinkie,” said Cheese. “I’m much less worried about her now, and it was nice to catch up with her.”

Fluttershy was taking the scenic route through Luna Park. The cherry trees were still in bloom, and it gave them some extra time to talk. “So what did you and Pinkie talk about?” she asked. “Only if you don’t mind telling me,” she added. “I don’t mean to be nosy.”

“Oh, a little of this, a little of that,” he said airily. “Some small talk, shop talk—she talked a lot about her family. Did you know one of her sisters is getting a doctorate in geology? Pinkie calls it her rockterate.”

“Did you tell her anything about being suspended? Or being grounded?”

“Well, no,” he admitted, “but only because I didn’t want her to worry about it. Besides, I’m not grounded anymore. I’ll tell her when she gets the ok from her doctor to go back to school. I did mention something about the bipolar disorder,” he added hesitantly. “I thought that even though she said she didn’t remember anything, she might remember that bit. I’m glad I told her, though.”

“I don’t look down on Pinkie about it,” said Fluttershy, “and I’m not going to look down on you. I don’t think any of us will.”

He smiled. “Good. That’s nice to know.”

They were driving through a wooded section of the park, with hardly any cars around. The windows were rolled down, letting in the scent of cherry blossom and getting rid of the cat smell. Cheese looked out the side window, but his eyes weren’t focused on the spring foliage at all.
“Did you know Pinkie when she was a little girl? Have you seen pictures?”

Fluttershy shook her head. “No,” she said. “I didn’t move from Cloudsdale until freshman year. And I don’t think Pinkie moved here until junior high.”

“She was SO. CUTE,” he enthused, hands to his cheeks. “You have no idea. I couldn’t believe it when I saw her again. I still can’t.”

“Um,” said Fluttershy, “I’m surprised you didn’t tell her you’d met her before.”

Cheese snorted. “What was I supposed to say? ‘Hi, Pinkie, I’m Cheese Sandwich! You don’t remember me at all, but I’ve been in love with you since I was eight years old!’”

Fluttershy slammed on the brakes, and Cheese slid forward in the seat. He winced. “I said that in my out loud voice, didn’t I?”

“Is that true?” said Fluttershy.

“More or less,” Cheese replied, hedging. “Rather more than less. In fact, rather more than more.”

“Oh, Cheese,” Fluttershy said sorrowfully. “I didn’t know.”

“Good,” he said. “I don’t want anyone to know. In fact, I’d like you to forget it.”

“But why?”

“Why? Because it’s crazy!” he said, throwing up his hands. “People don’t fall in love with someone they met only once as a kid. Maybe once upon a time they did, but not anymore. It sounds crazy even to me, which is always a real possibility where I’m concerned. And yet . . . and yet . . . it just is. It’s not her fault that she’s perfect, or that her voice sounds like the treble in a faultlessly rung change of bells. I know it’s beyond belief that I love just sitting next to her and inhaling because the very scent of her is so incredibly sweet, and that the only thing I don’t like about her hugs is that they end. All I know, beyond question or doubt or reason itself, is that I love Pinkie.” He furrowed his brows. “Does that sound a little intense to you?”

“Um . . .” said Fluttershy. “Kinda, yeah.”

“See?” he said. “I can’t even begin to talk about how I feel about her without feeling like an idiot.”

“Just a suggestion,” said Fluttershy tentatively, “maybe you might like to tell her? I mean, some of it. Toned way down.”

He shook his head. “No. Absolutely not. She’s already given me nearly everything that’s made my life happy. She’s my friend, which was beyond anything I could ever have imagined. People stop being friends over things like this.”

“Pinkie wouldn’t,” Fluttershy insisted. “I know she wouldn’t.”

“Maybe she wouldn’t,” Cheese conceded, “but then maybe she’d think she has to love me, just because I’m her friend and because I love her so much. I don’t want that. I don’t want her even to try. And after that accident—she’s much too grateful about that, and she shouldn’t be. Any of you would have done the same thing. Pinkie doesn’t owe me anything, and I don’t want her to think she does. And I still don’t know what’s going to happen to me with that suspension. The best you could say is that the timing is all wrong.”

They rolled to a stop, right in front of Cheese’s aunt’s house. “I’m starting to worry about you again,” said Fluttershy.

“Nah, don’t,” he replied, unbuckling the seat buckle. “I’m used to keeping things to myself, and I was just un-grounded. Things are looking up.” He went around to the rear of the station wagon, removed his backpack, and came back around to the front of the car and waved. Fluttershy had just started the car when he stuck his head in the passenger’s side window.

“Fluttershy? The thing about me being in love with Pinkie? That’s a secret. And you’re going to keep it. Forever.”

He pulled his head out of the window and began to walk up the path to the house. Fluttershy was about to drive away when he spun around, eyes narrowed. “Foreverrrrr,” he said, glaring at her, then turned and walked the rest of the way towards the house.

Author's Note:

Here we are, at the turning point and going over the ridgeline of the fic. I’ve been planning this chapter for months.

I’m sure you’ve started writing something and later realized where you drew your inspiration. This chapter, its title, and the fic as a whole were heavily influenced by two amazing films: Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and Harold and Maude. In fact, the influence is so deep that it took me ages to recognize it! Cheese’s explanation that he can only do some things when they’re funny and that laughter is a powerful weapon come straight out of Roger Rabbit, and I’m awfully glad I Googled the phrase “I can only do it when it’s funny” so I could give credit where credit is due. Since Roger Rabbit itself is an homage to Warner Brothers, Tex Avery, Chuck Jones, and, to a lesser extent, Disney, and since Pinkie Pinkie herself is a tiny tribute to Chuck Jones in pony form, I thought it made perfect sense for my fic to pay tribute to it—and it has further implications, too.

As for Harold and Maude: some of you may not know this film, and some of you may have heard of it as “that movie where the twenty year old guy falls in love with the eighty year old woman, eeewww,” but that isn’t what it’s like at all. It’s a brilliant, dark, bittersweet comedy, and there’s a reason people love it so much, although you might want to prepare yourself for some shocks if you’re going to watch it. EG Cheese’s mother, not to be confused with Pony Cheese’s mother, is very much like Harold Chasen’s. In fact, Cheese might well have turned out like Harold, with his love of pranks and tinkering with motor vehicles, if he hadn’t had the fortune to learn how to play a musical instrument when he was younger, and met his Maude much earlier in life. In case you were wondering, Maude is not remotely like Maud Pie. She is much, much more like Pinkie.

One of my touchstones for Cheese in general, and particularly his rhapsodic description of Pinkie, is Matt’s monologue from The Fantasticks, beginning with “There is this girl.”

I’ll be moving to get this done before the Rainbow Rocks premiere, but for today, I may take a break, and re-watch two stunning, absolutely classic movies.