• Published 12th Apr 2014
  • 7,484 Views, 470 Comments

Equestria Girls: The Looking Glass World of Cheese and Pie - scoots2



COMPLETE. Pinkie Pie gets her chance to run the Canterlot Cake Festival, but she’s not allowed to run it alone. She’s forced to take an assistant, an accordion-playing geeky new student, who is both very familiar and very strange.

  • ...
21
 470
 7,484

Epilogue: Where Are They Now?

Cheese Sandwich left Canterlot a few days later with his parents, who were very annoyed that he’d aged chronologically without their permission. He spent the summer in Manehattan, exploring the city and spending as much time playing music as he wanted to. He is currently a freshman at Pranceton University, which he’s enjoying a lot more than he thought he would. He texts Pinkie Pie a lot.

Pinkie Pie spent her summer creating ice cream cupcakes and having fun with her friends. She is now in her senior year at Canterlot High. She texts Cheese Sandwich a lot.

They are disgustingly happy.

Rainbow Dash took Scootaloo to Cowperstown.

Fluttershy went whale watching.

Applejack helped Big Mac rebuild the barn. She has plans for that barn.

Rarity began selling her line of fascinators on Etsy.

Sunset Shimmer returned to Canterlot, where she has become close friends with all of them.

The Cakes received an envelope containing two thousand dollars in cash and a note reading, “Trademark your business, stupid.” They took the advice. Sugarcube’s is now trademarked and registered, and doing extremely well; they are thinking about expanding.

Filthy Rich regrets Sugarcube’s as the one that got away, but it makes downtown Canterlot real estate much more valuable, and he’s pleased, because he owns so much of it.

Lightning Dust got in a bundle of trouble.

The Great and Powerful Trixie still dreams of fabulous success on the stage.

Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash are currently thinking a lot about their futures and planning what they intend to do after they graduate. They continue to have the sort of adventures girls do who are connected to uber-magical ponies with rainbow powers and who go to a high school with a supernatural portal. Or as Applejack likes to put it, “just a regular day around here, Sugarcube.”

To which Pinkie always replies, “Yes, indeedily!”

Author's Note:

Well, it’s just in under the wire! I wasn’t sure I could do it. Lots of thanks to everybody who read and commented and gave an Equestria Girls fic a chance.

You probably noticed a lot of cross-pollination with my regular CheesePie stories.

Will there be a sequel? Maybe. It depends on whether or not I have time and what happens in Rainbow Rocks.

Anyway, I’ll be posting a few things on my blog later, where you can ask a bunch of questions about Pinkie, Cheese, and the fic.

And thanks again, everyone!

Comments ( 70 )

Very, Very well done. Your characters were engaging and relatable, even if one had not read any of your CheesiePie fics beforehand.:yay:

Huh. I had forgotten about Sunset. She could've been stranded in Equestria if she delayed it for much longer.

In any case, a magnificent story. I loved every moment. Thank you for it, and congratulations on getting it out before it was too late! :pinkiehappy:

Man, that was close! Ya just finished it a couple days before Rainbow Rocks! :pinkiegasp:

This was absolutely wonderful, and certainly an amazing take on the world of Equestria Girls. Seriously, that world needs Cheese Sandwich--I'd be over the moon upon seeing EG Cheese. :pinkiehappy: I am glad to have read this great story. :twilightsmile:

SCOOTS! It's in the feature box! :pinkiegasp:

5055014 I KNOW! SO IS YOURS!

Double AU CheesePie in the Feature Box!

It is a proud day.

That was an awesome story. I would like a sequel, but I understand if you don't. Great job with this story. It was worth all the time reading it.

Allow me to preface this by stating that I'm not a fan of Equestria Girls. In fact, I tend to avoid stories related even tangentially to the setting, or which are humanized in general.

With that said, I thoroughly enjoyed this story. The characters were great, the descriptions were nice and vivid, the stunts of Pinkie and Cheese were pretty much spot on for the zany antics you'd expect from them, and the grand finale of the cake festival could only have been more ludicrous if it'd had a dance troupe of octopi wearing dapper three-piece suits. There were some nice little moments of mystery during the story (even if it didn't come as too big a shock when the culprits were revealed), and Filthy Rich was really quite menacing in a polite, refined, legalistic sort of way.

Also, I was a bit surprised (but pleasantly so) that it didn't end with Cheese using his new-found freedom to immediately drop any further study and instead stay with Pinkie as a way of giving his parents the middle finger. I realise it is probably as a result of you wanting to keep this in continuity with the next EG movie, but it was still a nice and oddly realistic (by Cheese's standards) choice to keep at it.

Finally, I should mention it hooked me enough that I read the whole thing in almost one sitting, so... good job on a great story!

You made it, and with two days to spare! Nice!

That final part about all of the girls killed me; good job. :rainbowlaugh:

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU so much, Scoots!!!!! This story is so amazing and I just love it so much. Great job creating and developing the characters. CheesePie is the best, and you make this ship freaking amazing. Keep it up. :heart: Every time you updated and I read a new chapter I just got so happy! It's like I feed off of Cheese and Pinkie's excitement! Sad that it's over, but overall I am quite satisfied with how this story turned out. I feel so warm and fuzzy inside now. :rainbowkiss:

*Claps* Well DONE. Thank you SO MUCH for making this fic! seriously, this was my absolute favorite! Your dedication to this story is commendable. :pinkiehappy: I really hope there will be a sequel. I'm gonna miss this so much. :raritycry: All I can say is... well done. :rainbowkiss:

Great story overall, with a heartwarming and romantic ending. I'm honestly surprised Cheese decided to go to Pranceton, but for all I know they have ivy league party planning majors there. I like your "where are they now" epilogue, it reminded me of the end of Animal House. I almost expected a line like "Snips and Snails are now known as Senator Snips and Chief Justice Snails. "

That was so GOOD :raritycry: AMAZING JOB :ajsmug::twilightsmile::rainbowkiss:

This story made me want to transfer to Canterlot High more than Equestria Girls ever did :ajsmug:

Its the rare kind of long fanfic that even through several grueling hours of reading, I finished it with the biggest smile I could imagine possible :pinkiehappy: Awesome!

I can't believe it's over! I think I've been following this fic since June and every single update brought a smile to my face. I love this ship so much!! The story is cute, romantic, and just full of talented writing! I would recommend this to not just CheesePie fans but also any pony who enjoys a good fanfic. It's been wonderful so thank you!!!!

¡It ends so happily!

5058380

I think you're a little bit hard on Trixie, but only a little bit hard on her. Trixie does think in terms of control and domination and awing others into submission lest she be forced to submit herself -- which Trixie is very loath to do, because she doesn't trust most others enough to yield to them; she fears that once she starts doing that she'll lose everything.

She's not a very happy person, and she's generally capable of happiness only either when she's riding on top of the admiration of an audience, or in quiet moments when she's alone and doesn't have to impress anyone. The former, of course, is much more intense.

There is no way things would work with Cheese, because Cheese is a genuinely kind and loving person who would be used by Trixie for as long as he put up with it. She would damage him a lot, eventually he would get sick of it (as you say, he would try very hard to tolerate her for her own sake, because presmably he would love her to put up with this in the first place) and then he would leave.

At which point his leaving would damage Trixie badly. She would feel very bad about losing him -- both because of the "losing" part (she hates to lose at anything) and the "him" part (because by this point she would love him, even though she wouldn't know how to treat him right..

Trixie can only be really happy when she's being dominated by a strong but fundamentally kind male who loves her and whom she respects. This lets her stop figthing and submit, hence be mostly at peace. This is also a difficult combination of traits to find: a cruel male would hurt her; no male who did not love her would put up with her nonsense; and she would submit to no male save one who was strong and who had won her respect.

I've shown two examples of just such males in relationships with Trixie. Wisedreamer, who was her mentor and surrogate father; and Piercing Gaze, who becomes her patron, lover and eventual husband. Wisedreamer is literally an angel and does his best to build up both her skills and her sanity. Piercing is no angel, but he's a decent guy who tries his best to develop Trixie's talents; due in part to both her and his own flaws their love is not always happy, with some epic fights and near-breakups.

But really, they kind of deserve each other, and Piercing is a better fate for her than the likely alternative of a series of varying-exploitative and ultimately failing love affairs with a series of males, ending in heartbreak and separated by long stretches of loneliness because, really, Trixie is hard to take in more than small doses. Whenever I write Trixie, I am careful to remember that, amusing as she is, she is also seriously obnoxious and very prickly and only warm and cuddly at all when she's in the right mood with the right sort of guy, which is a very odd sort indeed.

Females, of course, she perceives as rivals at best (unless they're her minions), though she can come to respect her rivals. Pony Trixie respects Twilight Sparkle. Humanoid Trixie may do the same.

Eventually when Pony Trixie has matured a bit (over years and decades) she starts to mellow out. She even acts as mentor in her own right to some other Ponies in showbusiness.

Trixie's not really bad, she just doesn't play well with others.

And yes. She has a lot of trouble understanding any interaction other than enmity or rivalry; she rarely has "friends" and when she does has a lot of trouble keeping them.

5058380

Yep. "Dirty-minded" is the term I'd choose, too. Dash does have a big heart, and because of it, this kind of thing hurts her much more than it would Fluttershy. I mean, MAN--just what sewer did Lightning Dust fish that combo up from, anyway?

Even my version of Rainbow Dash, who is bisexual and hence might feel lust for them, would never define her feelings for anyone she was seriously thinking of becoming romantically involved with primarily in lustful terms. She would think of friendship and love first. And when she really does fall for someone, she tends to idealize them.

Of course, none of that would stop (Human) Lightning Dust, even if she understood that about Rainbow Dash. In fact, it would make Lightning Dust more likely to say that, to upset Rainbow Dash and throw her off her game. It helps that Human Lightning Dust seems nastier than her Pony version.

Quick heads up guys: there are a lot of EG leaks out there. Please, no spoilers in the comments! When the movie comes out, I might post something about it and LGW on my blog, but I want people to enjoy themselves.

5058460 Well, yes, I see what you're saying, but the problem is that I'm writing EG Trixie, and the way I wrote her got tweaked after the soundtrack was released and I heard "Tricks Up My Sleeve," which, obviously, is a Trixie number. I'm putting some of this under a spoiler tag, because while I'm not referring to anything that hasn't been officially released--soundtrack, shorts, trailers--some people may still want to be surprised. There is no other way to parse it, but based on that number and the short with Rainbow Dash, Trixie is way further along on the villain scale than I personally would have placed her. I don't know what else to do with lyrics like "You better believe I've got tricks up my sleeve,/And I dominate,/'Cause I'm Powerful and Great," and even more so, "Oo, you're just making noise/Listen how my music destroys/Anything you throw at me,/I'm gonna throw back, just wait and see." And there is a really CREEPY modulation on "listen how my music destroys." That's coming from Daniel Ingram, the composer who intentionally gave us the "false cadence" in the "This Day Aria" (which I think is overrated, but never mind.) Point is, the guy knows what he's doing, and I'm sure it was deliberate. We won't know until Saturday whether or not she's acting under Dazzling influence or not, but it wasn't something I felt I could ignore.

I didn't want to link to anything bootleggy, so the link takes you to the ITunes store, which should be enough to hear a sample from the track. Tricks Up My Sleeve

Here's a bit of EG Trixie that's been out for months, so it's not really a spoiler:

Cheese Sandwich left Canterlot a few days later with his parents, who were very annoyed that he’d aged chronologically without their permission.

:rainbowlaugh:

I hope they'll meet again soon :pinkiesmile::heart:

media0.giphy.com/media/11uArCoB4fkRcQ/giphy.gif
Beautiful. Freaking beautiful.:pinkiehappy::fluttercry::pinkiesad2:
P.S: I noticed the 'Good Morning, Beautiful' reference last chapter.

5058604

Heh ... that means that this Trixie may be more in line with the way the Trixie who became Nightmare Delusion might have been 2-3 years before she fully snapped. The funny thing is that I thought of this before any of the spoilers came out, and in Equestria Girls Trixie does absolutely nothing to imply that she's particularly mean. The key point about Nightmare Delusion is that she emerged from a Trixie who had never had a mentor, who had never found anyone to respect and love, which let her dark side grow unchecked.

There seems to be a general theme here that the Humanoids are darker than their Pony counterparts. However, this seems to not be mostly true of the Humanoid Mane Five (we haven't met Humanoid Twilight yet), so there may be exceptions.

I would guess that the balancing virtue that the Humanoids have which the Ponies tend to find rare is initiative. The Humanoids haven't been ruled for over a millennium by a semi-divine Princess who makes their important decisions for them. And the Ponies are more gregarious than Humanoids to begin with, so the ability to deviate from the herd is probably a rarer thing.

If we'd been watching four seasons My Little Humanoids with only two Equestria Ponies movies, it might strike us that the Ponies were nicer than the Humanoids, but also less personally imaginative on the average, in other words.

Thank you.
Thank you for that amazing rollercoaster. Thank you for keeping my up at 3am wanting to know what happens next. Thank you for causing my to scream and cry and giggle and LAUGH. Thank you for inspiring me, I think this may help me on my own fic, which I was stuck on. Thank you for writing this.

I don't know what else to say.

Oh yeah!
I AM SO GLAD I READ THIS!!!!! :rainbowkiss:

CheesePie is my OTP now... :heart:

5058604 A great story, totally worth the time to read. Hope Pinkie & Cheese have their happily ever after.:pinkiehappy::heart:

Oh, by the way -- lest you imagine that I am a mere criticism machine, this story was awesome. You took what was best in Equestria Girls and translated Pinkie, Cheese and their friends into these insights and told a story that was simultaneously an awesome love story and very much a coming of age story for both of them. Kudos -- I hope you keep on writing these tales -- and if you have any non-MLP writing you'd like to show me I would most definitely enjoy reading it.

:heart::heart::twilightsmile::heart::heart:

5067619 Eh, remember she's not actually a villain mastermind, she's a teenager who's psyched herself up about taking down Rainbow Dash once and for all, is probably hyped up on sugar at this point, and her signature personality trait is recklessness and an inability to predict the consequences. It's really not out of character for her. If you think about it, the really OOC thing would have been if this Lightening Dust had managed to get through life without sabotaging herself in a moment of excitement or anger. Plus, she did come from that Cloudsdale High Culture... i.qkme.me/3or5tu.jpg

5068595 I will TAKE that explanation. :twilightsmile: No, really, while I'm not positive Canon Lightning Dust would do that, I was really appalled by her indifference to other ponies' pain, and she did have a "survival of the fittest" attitude. And honestly, I was even more appalled by attempts to defend her and suggest that she should have been allowed to stay, because being a Wonderbolt was her dweem.

5068780 Wellllllllll... keep in mind that it's not exactly easy to defend flying a civilian aircraft into military training airspace, there's some blame to go around there. Lightning Dust was certainly in the wrong there, but Twilight and the gang in their balloon also had a hand in that fiasco.

5069058 But she also ignored the safety limits in a capture the flag exercise that wasn't a race, didn't check on a wounded buddy, and set up a situation that left behind/impeded everyone else on the squad. Yes, everything Pinkie and friends did was wrong (no care packages at boot camp, no random visits), but it wouldn't have been a problem without starting that freaking TORNADO which was also destroying the airfield (and which she admitted--too late--that she couldn't control.)

Well, the conspiracy was less interesting than I hoped, but still surprising. The romance was very well done, and I enjoyed that a lot; too many authors are too heavy handed, but you gave it just the right amount of care. That's what I was really here for, and it was well worth it.

Congratulations on finishing, (not enough authors do) and thanks for writing this! You did a great job, and I enjoyed it very much. You get a thumbs-up from me; good luck with your future endeavors.

5055080 Wow, thank you! Basically, I wrote this fic for you--or for anyone who really didn't care for Equestria Girls and anything human--to see if I could write something they would enjoy. Zany is hard work, so I'm glad it paid off.

Also, I was a bit surprised (but pleasantly so) that it didn't end with Cheese using his new-found freedom to immediately drop any further study and instead stay with Pinkie as a way of giving his parents the middle finger. I realise it is probably as a result of you wanting to keep this in continuity with the next EG movie, but it was still a nice and oddly realistic (by Cheese's standards) choice to keep at it.

Continuity was a part of it, but realism came first, actually. What would he do? Where would he go? They may be in love, but that just happened. Where would he stay? His great aunt's not going to antagonize Cheese's mom by letting him stay with her, and I can just imagine the conversation between the Cakes and the Pies--

"Just wanted to keep you updated--Pinkie's fine--oh, yes, and she has a new boyfriend and he's moving in with her at our place. We knew you wouldn't mind."

Realistically, he'd have to talk to his parents at least before making any decisions. And here's the way I think things went down:

Cheese wasn't going to go to Pranceton, as he has no real interest in it, has almost always had bad experiences with school, and doesn't feel inclined to further his mother's ambitions for him. His mother, realizing that she had no way of coercing him, had to ask him if he would give it a year. And after talking it over with Pinkie, thinking it through, and wringing some concessions out of his parents, that's what he agreed to. He didn't promise to stay beyond his freshman year, though. That seemed like a more realistic way to go to me.

5090480

> “(Rarity is an alicorn? I’ll have to look for that now.)”

img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140204050933/mlp/images/a/a7/Rarity_as_an_alicorn_animation_error_S4E12.png

When Pinkie Pride premiered, the bronies and PegaSisters figured that the animators accidentally used a FlashPuppet from the finale and that Miss Rarity undergoes apotheosis. It turns out that the animators were just messing with us because they knew that we would jump all over a dancing Alicorn Rarity.

5058604

Having now seen Rainbow Rocks, I'll say that I think her encounter with the Dazzlings is probably her Start of Darkness in the timeline where Humanoid Trixie becomes Nightmare Delusion. On that worldline all she knows is that she's failed, and at something that's higher-status in her world than stage magic, so she thinks she's in danger of being a loser. And she has nobody at all to console her whom she respects.

In the timeline where Piercing Gaze is training her, she probably winds up revealing how she feels about losing in a conversation with him (she's not real open about something like that, but he knows her well by this point and his talent is being able to look into someone else's soul). Piercing would probably say something to her to the effect of

"Look, Trixie, you're probably the greatest stage magician your age, and in time you may be the greatest in the world. Yes, you can sing and dance and play the guitar and do puppet shows, and you're good at these, but your real talent is stage magic. Even you can't be the best at everything -- everyone specializes to some extent. Trust me on this, kid, you're just going to break your heart if you try to beat everyone else at their own game. Beat them at yours."

And Trixie would listen to him, because she loves and respects him, and the pill would be much-sweetened by the giant compliments he'd paid her. Plus, she knows Piercing thinks she's really really good; that's why someone as important as him is putting so much effort into training her. So she wouldn't obsess on her failure, instead she'd keep working toward future success.

Trixie's nature is to be made unhappy when the fans don't cheer her, and to make everyone else around her unhappy when she's unhappy. But she's less likely to sweat the small stuff when she knows that she has a real professional who has faith in her. A real professional, and someone she's got a huge crush on and who at least platonically cares for her in return. She feels more secure in that situation.

I WISH the Equestria Girls abominations were anything like this. Jolly good show, that brony. You succeeded in your primary goal of "making an enjoyable EqG story", and more besides.

5054948 Thank you!
5054990 Thanks! I'm almost kicking myself now, because now EG fics seem to be all the rage--although maybe that only applies to Rainbow Rocks fics with Sonata Dusk shipped like heck. Speaking of which, guys: friends do not let friends ship Sonata Dusk with Pinkie Pie.
5055009 Thanks! I keep being tempted to go on with it, and then I think that I've taken my licks and am going back to ponies. But really, I'm just going to do whatever amuses me anyhow. Yeah, I'd love to see EG Cheese, and I'm not sure we won't.
5055067 Thanks!
5055124 Yes--whew!
5056250 I thought we needed a tiny bit of closure. Also, I may be intending to use those snippets for something.
5056259 Oh, thank you! I'm glad you liked it so much. Yeah, this one's over, but there will always be more CheesePie, I think.
5056288 Well, I'm really thinking about a sequel, and an idea for a good antagonist popped into my mind today, so we'll see. I may not drive myself with quite so much intensive plotting next time, though.
5056506 It IS a lot like Animal House, and that's what I always think of, although I understand that Animal House got it frm American Graffiti.
5056737 Thanks!
5057391 Wow, thank you! I thought Pinkie and Cheese might make Canterlot High more fun, although from what I understand, Rainbow Rocks does, as well.
5057903 Thank you! Yep--I tried to make it just all around good, to the best of my ability, so I'm glad you liked it.
5059292 I think they will.:pinkiesmile:
5059512 Thanks! Yes--I thought that worked, because it wasn't exactly the same situation.
5059613 I don't know if the Humanoids are meaner. I think they're less simple, and that muddies things a bit. And it also seems that the run of the mill EG Background Human is even more malleable than their pony counterparts. That's right--I think they're actually easier to manipulate than the average Ponyvillean being bowled over by Flim and Flam! And even when they're aware they're being manipulated, as they all are by Sunset Shimmer in the first movie, they're very passive.
5061042 Thank you so much! I'm glad it all fell into place for you in the end. I definitely enjoyed writing it. Also, :yay:
5061163 Thank you, and I think they will.
5061214 Thank you! I hadn't consciously thought of it as a coming of age story, although I guess it is, and I even had my characters refer to the concept a few times, so I think I must have had it in the back of my mind.
5081832 Thanks! I'm probably better at the romance bits than at conspiracy. I was hoping my chops at that would improve, and at least that part wasn't a total fail. There were some points where it was hard to keep pushing myself through to finish, but I had the Cake Festival chapter building up to look forward to, so I really couldn't abandon it. Once I got there, it was fairly easy to write.
5090601 Oh, I see. Things like that don't register as much with me. I remember Texas Uber Alles referred to those as "errorcorns."
5090651 Hmm, yes, I've considered that, too, and it'll probably factor in if I write a sequel.
5091581 Thanks! That's exactly what I was hoping to do.

5095354

I don't know if the Humanoids are meaner. I think they're less simple, and that muddies things a bit.

Perhaps it's in part because, while they seem to have something equivalent to Cutie Marks (symbols representing their talents) they don't come to them by literally appearing on their hips. They come to them in their minds or souls, and after they do the custom is to wear something representing that symbol as clothing or an accessory. This may require more self-examination.

And it also seems that the run of the mill EG Background Human is even more malleable than their pony counterparts. That's right--I think they're actually easier to manipulate than the average Ponyvillean being bowled over by Flim and Flam! And even when they're aware they're being manipulated, as they all are by Sunset Shimmer in the first movie, they're very passive.

I've noticed this too -- it's very obvious in both movies in the mass mind control scenes (and it says something that both movies have "mass mind control scenes." Most of the Humanoids have very low initiative and only very limited abilities to question authority or consensus, compared to Humans.

Their senses of self-preservation are only so-so -- I wonder if it's because -- unlike the Ponies -- they haven't been aware of sapient predation, or even competition on their own world for a long time. Any self-respecting mass of Ponies would have stampeded, at least those on the edges of the crowd and least under the mind-control effects would have done so, long before falling completely under control.

But then, we haven't either -- we seem to provide our own competition better than they do.

Interestingly, Trixie has a high initiative and strong will. The Dazzlings have to give her their personal attention to turn her into their cat's-paw, and she becomes such in the gaudiest and most arrogant way possible. Her song, "Tricks Up My Sleeve," is basically Trixie thumbing her nose at all other sapient life; it's "Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better" done as pop-rock. I loved it, it's pure Trixie-Grandiosity.

And even when they're aware they're being manipulated, as they all are by Sunset Shimmer in the first movie, they're very passive.

(*nods*) Sunset works to divide and conquer, as shown in the 2013 Annual, but in a real high school there'd be irreducible cores of friends who just would neither be intimidated by nor interested in her. She's not, after all, existentially-threatening them until the very end, and they have lives outside of school. So it's weird that everyone is so scared of her.

Maybe these are human-like creatures as they'd be if they had a stronger herd mentality? Their obsession with equine matters is fairly strong, given that they're not sapient horses.

I hadn't consciously thought of it as a coming of age story, although I guess it is, and I even had my characters refer to the concept a few times, so I think I must have had it in the back of my mind.

It very much is. Both of them seriously fall in love for what must be the first time in both their lives. Cheese discovers something too important to him to simply leave behind in yet another school transfer, and Pinkie discovers that she's serious about Cheese. And -- especially in Cheese's case -- this leads him directly into important decisions about the shape of his future after high school.

As for Sane(r) Trixie in Substitute Mentor, I'm guessing that Piercing Gaze would have been quietly amused by her temporary obsession with becoming a rock star (she's only 17-18 years old and he knows she's not yet fully mature emotionally) and gone along with it. Her talent is greater than his own, and he knows it, so the last thing he wants to do is dam up her creativity; but he strongly suspects that it's stage magic rather than music, even though she sings, plays and dances quite well.

He might well have been somewhere in that huge audience (he would have at least tried to take the time to see Trixie's big musical debut, both because he would know it was important to her and because he would be curious to see how she handled the setting), and if so he would have gotten to experience the Sirens personally, which would shake him up rather a bit.

Piercing himself doesn't have much real magic (what he has is mostly in his psychic talent of the Piercing Gaze), but he knows that there are deeper and darker secrets in that world than most of his species suspect. He would have recognized what had happened to him, possibly even connecting it to the legends the Sirens must have left behind them as they carved their path of horror through that world's history. For that matter, the moment he got a good look at the Dazzlings he would have been profoundly worried -- he would have been seeing something evil, terrifying and impossible when he gazed into their souls (to the point that he would have doubted what he was seeing).

Now that I think of it, he would have had an awful epiphany after he realized what the Dazzlings really were -- Trixie might have casually told him that they had inspired the Battle of the Bands and even that they'd given her some personal attention. He would have been very worried that the Sirens had permanently harmed Trixie's mind, and though he still would have tried to sound casual in his advice, he would have been very afraid for his Golden Girl, and (by that point) close friend.

5095445

they haven't been aware of sapient predation, or even competition on their own world for a long time

Whereas IRL high school is nothing but a brutal exercise in Darwinian carnage and torture of the weirdest. Or mine was. Hee. :twilightsheepish:

5095493

Yeah, but I doubt that your high school was attacked by alien sorceresses or Sirens.

5095511 Well, there were those few girls... :trixieshiftleft: :trixieshiftright: Let's just say I thought Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a documentary at first. :raritywink:

5095354

¡I am off to see the movie My Little Pony: Equestrian Girls: Rainbow Rocks!

5095493 Oh, mine was, too. There's a reason I've never gone back for a reunion.

5095584 Have a great time!

5095887

> “Have a great time!”

¡I did!

I believe that your story is okay. Although the movie starts with the end of the first movie, by the Princess Twilight Sparkle enters the picture, all of Season # 04 occurred. Perhaps, the sirens spent those months forging documents. If so, they need not have bothered because Princess Twilight Sparkle just walked into the school in the first movie, signed up to run for the FallFormal with the consent of Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna, fell under suspicion of vandalism, all without anyhuman noticing that she is not a student. The dazzlings could have just walked into the school without documentation and none would say a thing. The chronology of your story is safe.

5096840

One point.

We do not know if Principals Celestia and Luna know, consciously or subconsciously, any of what Princesses Celestia and Luna know. It is quite possible that the moment they saw Pony-in-Humanoid-Form Twilight they knew whom she was, or at least had a hunch that she was trustworthy.

5097895 They do seem disappointingly clueless sometimes. That's why, honestly, I like my version better, which is partly inspired by Bookish Delight's: they have some of the same qualities and might even be in communication with them, but we'll never know that.

Admittedly, it's a bit on the convenient side that only the clued-in characters, like the Humane 5, Sunset Shimmer, Celestia, and Luna really remember most of the weird stuff and know what's going on, but I think it makes sense and makes for better stories. I'll have to check when I next see Rainbow Rocks, but I think only Trixie makes explicit reference to the Rainboom's calling in their little magical friend to help, and that kind of fits with my headcanon that Trixie does, weirdly, have a little bit of magical ability (and that EG-verse wasn't a NO-magic universe, but a LOW-magic universe.) Anyhoo, that's what I've established in this story and probably what I'm going to stick with until further notice.

Average EG verse student #1: Man. That concert was INTENSE, wasn't it? I mean--those girls and the stuff with the things.
Average EG verse student #2: I know, right? And that thing at the end! Totally trippy.
Rainbow Dash: (popping from around a stage support) Psst. Rainbow Dash is awesome! (Fluttershy gives her a look.)
Average EG verse student #1: Rainbow Dash sure is awesome.

It seems believable to me, anyhow!

5097960

That's why, honestly, I like my version better, which is partly inspired by Bookish Delight's: they have some of the same qualities and might even be in communication with them, but we'll never know that.

My theory is that Humanoid Celestia and Luna are Immortal Avatars ("Angels," in my Humanoidverse) and are working with the local equivalent of the Night Watch or Bureau for Paranormal Defense to train magically-adept teenagers to help defend the world from supernatural menaces. And more mundane magical purposes.

The Humanoids wouldn't willingly accept Angelic rule, so they don't try to rule (*), only advise and teach the Humanoid leaders. They keep this secret, because if their existence was generally known it might create xenophobia and political chaos.

Admittedly, it's a bit on the convenient side that only the clued-in characters, like the Humane 5, Sunset Shimmer, Celestia, and Luna really remember most of the weird stuff and know what's going on, but I think it makes sense and makes for better stories.

Oh, it's just your classic Weirdness Censor. The usual explanation is that Mundanity has a mystical inertia which means that only strong and strange minds can perceive the truly supernatural. In the MLP multiverse, we know that personal psychologies can be strangely linked to the presence of powerful magic; witness the stuff that went on in Reflections. So I see no reason not to believe in a Weirdness Censor.

Trixie is clearly exactly the sort of Humanoid who could perceive magic. She is determined (though often misguided) and she is both adept in mundane magic and shows signs of being fascinated by fantasy. In my verse, Piercing would also probably be able to perceive magic, because he explicitly has a semi-magical "true sight" type talent. This is one of their points in common.

I was thinking about Humanoid Trixie and Piercing, and I just realized one way in which their relationship is very different from that of Pony Trixie and Piercing in a way that affects their futures.

Pony Trixie and Piercing knew each other for a month when Trixie was 19 before they got drunk celebrating Trixie's successful show and wound up in bed together. Trixie ran away from what had happened, which led to all her misadventures on the road, culminating in her caravan getting squished by the Ursa Major, Luna saving her from the Dragon, and Granny Pie taking her in as a student. This means that the course of love does not run smooth between Pony Trixie and Piercing, though I do envision them eventually getting married, and alternating between making each other happy and miserable, since Trixie is a volatile mare and Piercing not entirely faithful.

But Humanoid Trixie and Piercing meet when Trixie is 14. If we assume that they become lovers at the same age -- when Trixie is 19 -- then they've known one another five years by then. They've formed a much deeper bond both as teacher-student and as friends. So even if they become lovers the exact same way, Trixie wouldn't run off in self-loathing at what had happened. In fact, she probably would have seduced him -- this would have been the consummation of a long-standing desire on her part, and they would have started their affair much more seriously in love.

I can keep her whole personality essentially similar and this works out very well from both a realistic and a dramatic POV. Trixie's still a hetero-demisexual, meaning she only has a sex drive toward men to whom she already has a strong emotional bond (unlike simply being "moral," this means she doesn't even emotionally respond much to sex appeal from non-friends). It's just that Piercing (someone she's loved as a friend for five years, and an attractive, intelligent older man to whom she looks for leadership) is in the very tiny class of men to whom she can be sexually attracted. :heart::heart::heart:

In fact, while Trixie is sexually virtuous by most definitions (she would never have sex save with someone she loved) she's not particularly moral -- it's that she's not even tempted by most men. This makes it easy for her to say "no." Or shout it, together with choice comments about the would-be lothario's ancestry and personal hygiene, if the guy gets too persistent. :trixieshiftleft:

She sees absolutely nothing wrong with seducing and tricking someone she really loves into bed with her. Her very limited sexuality, coupled with her genuine loyalty to Piercing, makes her unlikely to stray. But she's not the nicest person in the world: among other things, she's quite manipulative.

Though Piercing loves her well enough. But then again, he's hardly perfect himself. Including not being above a little manipulation -- and he's the more sophisticated one of the pair.

They're a good match. Especially if you like drama. I don't know if I'd like to be in earshot of one of their future screaming arguments, though.

===

(*) LUNA: Why can't we just rule?
CELESTIA: Because that's one of the plans which ends with us living in a huge black tower with jagged architecture and a small intrepid band of heroes sneaking in with the artifact that is our One True Weakness.
LUNA: Evil Overlord stuff?
CELESTIA: Exactly.
LUNA: Oh. Yeah. Alicorn-us did that to Draconequus-Discord. He didn't like it much.

This fiction has officially became my favorite EG fanfiction. I loved the story, the conflicts, the characters, but most importantly, the party pony human magic! Oh and Sunset Shimmer, I loved your Sunset Shimmer so much! You filled part of the huge the gap between the "just redeemed supervillian" Sunset from EG1 and the "I know friendship even better than the humanized Spirits of Harmony" Sunset from EG2.

And that party, DAT PARTY! Suddenly, ponies ponies ponies! Party Pony/Human Magic got supercharged and made the Mirror Pool run for its money. (I unfortunately couldn't find Discord.)

Also, SO. MANY. REFERENCES. "Good morning, beautiful", and stuff like that. I loved it!

And finally they kissed. Yay!

Have I favorited the fiction already? No? It's time to smash that button, then.

...

Did you say sequel? :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

5098166

In fact, while Trixie is sexually virtuous by most definitions (she would never have sex save with someone she loved) she's not particularly moral -- it's that she's not even tempted by most men. This makes it easy for her to say "no." . . .
She sees absolutely nothing wrong with seducing and tricking someone she really loves into bed with her. . . . But she's not the nicest person in the world: among other things, she's quite manipulative.

Oh, I dunno. I can see scenarios in which Trixie was willing to sleep with someone to get something she really wanted. Let's say, hypothetically, that Celestia was monumentally stupid enough to let Prince Blueblood have a magical artifact in his safekeeping: something that makes the wearer beloved and admired by all who behold him or her. Something that would be very handy for a stage magician. Something that would make her a star.

Blueblood's a perfect candidate, actually, because he's dumb enough to think that everyone loves him already and ALSO because he's just the kind of pony who wouldn't want anypony else to have something like that.

Trixie's learned her lesson about artifacts that make you all-powerful, but one that gave her the adulation she wants? The adulation that she deserves! The adulation she should have if the world was fair! But no. The world is unjust, and therefore Trixie must have this object to give her the adulation that is rightfully Trixie's. In fact, you could say that the artifact really ought to belong to Trixie, and therefore it IS Trixie's, and surely there's nothing wrong in taking something back if it's really yours.

The trick here would be putting up with Blueblood long enough to seduce him. She's not patient. But a little unpleasantness is worth something like that. And if Blueblood is the "promise her everything, give her nothing" type, which he probably is, Trixie also wouldn't be above whopping him with a frying pan upside the head while she went looking for it. By then, I'd think that part would be a genuine pleasure. :trixieshiftright:

But yes, I can see her doing this IF it was something she really wanted and was unique enough and was something she couldn't obtain any other way.

Let's say, hypothetically, that Celestia was monumentally stupid enough to let Prince Blueblood have a magical artifact in his safekeeping: something that makes the wearer beloved and admired by all who behold him or her. Something that would be very handy for a stage magician. Something that would make her a star.

Oh, now that is the perfect temptation for Trixie! Yes, I can see her doing this. Hating it (I'm assuming that this isn't one of the admirable versions of Blueblood), but doing it anyway for the prize.

You're evil! :raritywink:

Trixie's learned her lesson about artifacts that make you all-powerful, but one that gave her the adulation she wants? The adulation that she deserves! The adulation she should have if the world was fair! But no. The world is unjust, and therefore Trixie must have this object to give her the adulation that is rightfully Trixie's. In fact, you could say that the artifact really ought to belong to Trixie, and therefore it IS Trixie's, and surely there's nothing wrong in taking something back if it's really yours.

The monologue practically writes itself there, eh? :rainbowlaugh:

Login or register to comment