• Published 12th Apr 2014
  • 7,483 Views, 470 Comments

Equestria Girls: The Looking Glass World of Cheese and Pie - scoots2



COMPLETE. Pinkie Pie gets her chance to run the Canterlot Cake Festival, but she’s not allowed to run it alone. She’s forced to take an assistant, an accordion-playing geeky new student, who is both very familiar and very strange.

  • ...
21
 470
 7,483

It's For Your Own Good

Chapter Three: It’s For Your Own Good

“Did Trixie just actually laugh?”

“Did you hear a ‘mwah-hah-hah-hah?’ ‘Cause I don’t think I’ve ever heard Trixie laugh without a ‘mwah-hah-hah-hah.’ ”

They couldn’t quite absorb what they were seeing. The Great and Powerful Trixie didn’t talk to anybody, and nobody talked to her. Yet there she was, listening to whatever it was that Cheese Sandwich had to say, and talking—talking a lot, from the looks of it. She was also laughing, and it was decidedly weird to watch Trixie laugh without clenching her fists and addressing the heavens.

They finished their conversation, and Cheese slid quickly back through the crowd and dropped down into his seat next to Pinkie Pie.

“Well, that’s one act taken care of,” he said. “I talked to Trixie, and I think we have a deal. I thought she did fireworks, but she’s got some kind of magic act. I told her we could guarantee her a slot on the program without any problem. She really wanted it, too.”

Pinkie, who had been pinging her fork and spoon against her water and soda glasses, abruptly stopped. “You guaranteed Trixie a spot on the program?” she said, swiveling around in her chair so that she was face to face with Cheese.

“Yeah. Why? Is there some kind of problem?”

Pinkie shook her head. “You Pinkie Promised. Didn’t you say you never break your promises?”

“Cheesy Promises, but that’s right, I don’t. What—”

Pinkie’s voice was calm and even upbeat, but she jammed her books, papers, bubble solution, and party horns back in her book bag without glancing up or noticing that some things were upside down and others were getting crushed. “You just did. You were going to be my helper. That wasn’t helpful.” She looked up with a bright, brittle smile. “I’ve got a lot to do now, so . . . seeya.”

Cheese watched her speed out the door. “What was that all about?”

Applejack leaned back in her chair. “Reading between the lines, Slick, I’d say you just broke a Pinkie Promise."

“How?”

“First of all,” said Rainbow Dash, “you just guaranteed Trixie a spot on the program without asking Pinkie first. You’re supposed to be her assistant, right? Soarin’s my assistant coach. If he added team members or started training maneuvers without checking with me, they’d be looking for the pieces for weeks.” She drew her finger across her throat.

“Pinkie was really looking forward to being in charge of this,” said Fluttershy, poking at her salad. “She thinks people don’t think she’s responsible enough. You promised her you’d help and not take over. I think you really hurt her feelings.”

Cheese put his head in his hands. “Good Gouda. I did take over. I’m so used to organizing stuff on my own that I just forgot.”

“That’s breaking a Pinkie Promise, I’d say,” said Applejack. “Pinkie’s not so keen on people who break Pinkie Promises. Second, if you had to guarantee someone a spot on the program, you probably picked the worst person in the whole school. Trixie and Pinkie hate each other. Can’t blame her, really.”

“I can’t help but wonder,” said Rarity, leaning her chin on her hand, “what exactly you said to Trixie. I think everyone in the cafeteria was simply riveted, but I didn’t catch the end.”

“ ‘Hello, good-lookin’, is that fuse wire in your backpack, or are you just happy to see me?’ ”

“Ugh,” said Rarity, shuddering. “Terrible.”

“You mean—kind of Cheeeesy?” He performed a rimshot with his fork and knife against the edge of his plate. He looked at each of the girls in turn, but all of them looked very serious, and Rainbow Dash groaned. “What? It was funny! She laughed!” Rarity shook her head. “I didn’t know. She looked sort of sad. I had to try to cheer her up. It’s hard to explain. And besides, you can’t expect me not to talk to a girl who’s got fuse wire. It’s not natural.”

“Yes, but ‘good-looking?’”

“Well, she is.” Rarity rolled up one of Fluttershy’s flyers for the Canterlot Animal Rescue Center and smacked Cheese on the head with it. “Ow! What was that for?”

“That remark was both unnecessary and unwise,” said Rarity. “I’m afraid you’re very poorly trained.”

“I’ve been in all-boys’ schools for three years!” Cheese complained. “What else do you expect?”

Rarity raised her eyebrows. “You ought to know that you should never speak approvingly of the attractions of one lady in front of another lady.”

“Meh, I don’t care,” said Rainbow Dash, and shrugged.

“Doesn’t bother me none,” agreed Applejack.

“Do I understand that you intended to be charming in order to ask for a favor?”

Cheese blushed. “Well, yeah, that was part of it, but—”

“It is simply reprehensible,” Rarity said severely, “to use charm of manner for personal gain. Thank you,” she added to the pimpled and nervous freshman who had come over to bus her tray for her. “And finally, you deliberately crossed a cafeteria in order to make a flirtatious remark to Trixie. Who knows what romantic havoc you might have wrought?”

Rainbow Dash and Cheese turned to each other, their eyes bugging out and their jaws dropping simultaneously. They seemed to be struggling to put their thoughts into words.

“BAH HAH HAH HAH!”

Rainbow Dash laughed so hard that she flung herself back into her chair and nearly overbalanced.

Cheese doubled over, accidentally slamming his head into the table. “Ow!” he said, and laughed some more until he cried.

“Hoo!” Rainbow Dash clutched her midsection, tears streaming down her face. “Rarity, stop. You got extra napkins, Cheese?”

He held out a handful at arm’s length, unable to speak, and blew his nose.

Rarity drew herself up into her most dignified posture, trying to ignore the vulgar exhibition in front of her. “You may find this humorous, Rainbow Dash, but this is The Great and Powerful Trixie we are discussing. She thinks everyone worships her. Who knows what she might think? She might misinterpret. She might develop an obsession. This might turn into a romantic disaster of epic proportions! Why is nobody taking this seriously?”

Rainbow Dash had gotten some control now. “Ah, I wouldn’t worry about that,” she said, waving her hand. “I mean, I’m so awesome that if I said something like that, it’d be game over.” She threw one arm around Cheese. “But Cheese here is such an enormous dorkasaurus that I don’t think it’s gonna be a problem.”

“Thanks,” said Cheese, rolling his eyes.

“No problemo, dude. Just keeping it real.”

“Let’s not borrow trouble,” said Applejack. “You never know with Trixie, but I’d say your real problem is that you broke a Pinkie Promise, Cheese, and the Trixie stuff won’t help you any.” She glanced up at the clock. “We better get going.” They began packing their book bags.

“Oh, yeah, Fluttershy, I almost forgot,” said Cheese. “I can’t meet you for AP Biology study this afternoon. I promised I’d meet Trixie after school.”

Rarity gasped. “IT BEGINS.”

“I have to meet her,” Cheese insisted. “It’s a long story. Besides, I promised. I’m over limit on broken promises for one day.” The bell rang. He sighed. “Math class with Mr. Doodle again. Why was I born?”


~~

“Um—hi?” said Cheese tentatively to the spot where Pinkie had just been. She was already bouncing her way across the cafeteria, cheerful as ever. She turned at the doorway to wave at the table, and then was gone. Twenty-four hours later, Cheese was still a non-person, as far as she was concerned.

“I sure hope that whatever deal you cut with Trixie was worth it, Sunny Jim,” said Applejack.

“We’ll have to see,” said Cheese grimly, sliding his tray down carefully so the piles of food on it didn’t spill. “By the way, Applejack, I have to talk to you later. I’ve got a favor I need to ask.”

“Me?”

“As your big brother would say, ee-yup.”

Everyone ate in silence for a few minutes.

“OK. I get it,” Cheese burst out, putting down his fork and balancing his spoon on his hand. “I boobed up big time, but Pinkie won’t even let me apologize. I still want to help her. I blew a Pinkie Promise, but I’m not blowing a Cheesy Promise, too. There’s something else I’m not getting here.”

“You mean the way Trixie insulted Pinkie so badly that the girl who’s friends with everybody at CHS wants nothing to do with her?” said Applejack.

“That might be it, yes.”

“When we all first came to Canterlot High," said Rarity, "Trixie was already here. She was running one of the booths at the Freshman Fair, and she was . . . how do I put it . . .”

“Full of herself, that one,” said Applejack, and snorted. “You know she’s got a magic act?”

“That would be the one that got me in hot water with Pinkie, right? Yeah, I’m not likely to forget. She showed me some of it yesterday afternoon. And, no, she hasn’t developed some kind of obsessive passion for me, Rarity. It’s pretty good.”

“Dorkasaurus,” said Rainbow Dash. “Toldja so.”

“But back then, she said what she could do was real. Real magic,” said Fluttershy.

“Said she could do all manner of things,” scoffed Applejack. “Pure foolishness. She had this little bunch of admirers and they just climbed all over the rest of us, bragging on all the stuff they said she could do. She said she could control the weather, guarantee that you’d get on the team, ace the exam, get whoever you were sweet on to go out with you, tell the future. She’s a fraud.”

“I think maybe she really thinks she can do that,” Fluttershy put in, and hesitated. “Other people thought so too.”

“Either way, she had no time for anyone who wasn’t kowtowing to the Great and Powerful Trixie. After a while, almost all of us quit trying to be friendly, except for Pinkie Pie. She kept trying long after the rest of us gave up. I guess it didn’t help that Pinkie really can tell the future sometimes.”

“Really?” asked Cheese. “She can do that? That’s funny, because—I mean, she can?”

“Just little stuff, mostly. She calls it her Pinkie Sense. So one day, right before English, Trixie goes shootin’ the breeze about how a great calamity would befall, and Pinkie said, ‘just look where you’re going and you won’t befall, silly! And the mud’ll come right out.’ Trixie stood up, pointed at Pinkie, and said, ‘your mouth is open, Pinkie Pie. It should be shut.’ And she went zzziiip, as though she was zipping Pinkie’s mouth closed.”

“She did that?” said Cheese, horrified.

“And it worked, too.”

“Rainbow!” exclaimed Fluttershy.

“Well, it did! She didn’t say anything all afternoon.”

“She was outraged,” said Rarity. “Such rudeness.”

“Anyway, Pinkie was right,” said Applejack. “Trixie befell her bigheaded self right into a mud puddle that very afternoon. And that was it. Pinkie can’t stand Trixie now, not that any of us can. After that, Sun—someone came along who didn’t have any time for Trixie and showed her up as a fake, and Trixie lost her whole clique. Turns out she didn’t have any real friends who would stick by her. She’s always been a little weird, but after that she kept to herself.”

Cheese shoved some food around his plate. “What you’re saying is that I broke a Pinkie Promise and made Pinkie feel incompetent by doing a favor for someone who insulted her in public.”

“Don’t forget the bit where you didn’t ask her first.”

“I wasn’t forgetting it,” muttered Cheese. “I am in way over my head here.”

“I suggest groveling,” Rarity said, patting his hand. “Groveling is always in style. You might like to explain in elaborate detail why—”

“Why you did such a chuckle-headed thing,” said Applejack.

“Exactly. And then you should add, ‘but that’s an explanation, not an excuse.’ ”

Cheese furrowed his brows. “Why? What does that mean?”

“It means that you are not offering a shallow apology, and that you recognize the full implications of . . .” Rarity gave up. “Just say it. Trust me.”

“It’s nice weather today,” said Rainbow Dash. “I’ve got a pretty good idea where she’ll be.”

“It’s worth a try,” urged Fluttershy.

“Yup,” agreed Applejack. “You never know. Pinkie might overlook a Pinkie Promise just this once. If she thinks of you as a real friend, that is.”

“Yeah,” said Cheese, picking up his tray. “I’ll see all of you later.” He took his tray over to the trash cans and emptied it. Half of the food was uneaten.

Fluttershy turned to Applejack and exclaimed, “Applejack, you know Pinkie forgives everyone sooner or later. We’ve all fought and made up. Why did you say that?”

“Oh, I dunno,” said Applejack, licking off her spoon. “It won’t do him any harm to have the fear of Pinkie put into him.”


~~

“GO RAINBOW DASH!” screamed Pinkie Pie, sitting alone, high in the bleachers. Rainbow Dash raced down the soccer field, dribbling the ball and scoring kicks against herself. The afternoon was sunny, but cold, and Pinkie was bundled up. Her pink, fluffy earmuffs suggested that she wasn’t prepared to listen to anything.

“She looks cold,” said Fluttershy. “I don’t understand why Pinkie is out here.”

“She feels that Rainbow Dash needs encouragement,” said Rarity, adjusting her scarf.

“I don’t think her giant ego needs any more encouragement,” said Applejack, “but to each her own, I guess.”

“Now remember,” warned Rarity, as they climbed over the risers. “ ‘This is an explanation, not an excuse.’ ”

“Why don’t you just hand him a stack of flash cards, Rarity? ‘Cause I think that’d do almost as much good.”

They all sat down on the bench behind Pinkie. Cheese leaned forward and muttered something the others couldn’t quite catch.

“Fuse wire?” shrieked Pinkie Pie, her voice going up two octaves. Down on the field, Rainbow Dash missed her kick. Cheese winced. “You promised Trixie she could perform at the festival in exchange for fuse wire?”

“Well, that and a few other things,” Cheese admitted. Rarity put her hand over her eyes. “I can’t go into the details. I’m just here to apologize. I have to go home, so it’s all I can do right now. I’ll explain some other time if you want to listen, but I have to go.” He picked up his backpack and a small leather case, and began his descent of the risers.

Pinkie stood up. “Can you apologize and walk at the same time?”

Cheese stopped and turned. “I think so.”

Pinkie nodded. “I think you should try.”


~~


“Where’s your accordion today?” asked Pinkie, as they circled the soccer field and headed for the street.

“I left her at home. I brought my concertina instead.”

A lot of the spring had gone out of Pinkie Pie’s normal gait. Usually, her short bouncy steps balanced exactly against Cheese’s long legged shamble, but today she kept getting ahead of him or vice versa.

At last she said, “What did you want fuse wire for? Why Trixie? Why didn’t you ask me first? Why didn't you bring your favorite accordion? What happened to your yellow shirt? Why do they call them cupcakes when they’re not made out of cups?”

“In reverse order—no idea, it’s in the wash, it’s very heavy, because I’m an idiot, because she had fuse wire, and the last one I can’t answer. I didn’t know about Trixie, though. No one told me.”

She shook her head. “I was just trying to be friends.”

“With me, or with Trixie?”

“Both. I know I can’t be friends with Trixie. I don’t even want to try anymore. She made me feel stupid in front of everybody.” She pulled out a candy bar and began to eat it. “You made me feel stupid, too,” she said, through a mouthful of caramel. “Nobody thinks I can do things on my own or take care of myself. It’s like they think something’s wrong with me. Somebody’s always checking up on me—Applejack, the Cakes, my friends.”

Cheese laughed, but there wasn’t any humor behind it. “I know the feeling.”

Pinkie stopped walking, so that he was forced to stop, too. “They really mean well,” she insisted, eyes wide and almost pleading. “They just do it because they love me.”

“Yeah, well, that one sounds familiar, too,” Cheese said. “Look, I’m sorry, Pinkie. I didn’t mean to make you feel stupid. I did promise I wouldn’t take over. Usually I plan parties alone. I’m not used to working with anyone else, and I wasn’t thinking, but—” his eyes rolled up, as though he was trying to remember something, ‘that’s an explanation, not an excuse.’ ”

Pinkie frowned. “What does that even mean?”

Cheese shrugged. “I don’t know,” he confessed. “Rarity said I should say it. She said it would help.”

Pinkie shook her head, walking on. “I don’t see how it helps if neither of us know what it means. How about you made a mistake and you didn’t mean to, and you’re really sorry, and you won’t do it again? ”

Cheese followed after her, circling her and popping up on every side, and even walking backwards, trying to catch her eye. “Pinkie, I made a huge mistake, and I didn’t mean to, and you have no idea how sorry I am, and I’ll never do it again,” he said.

Pinkie stopped walking. “Aw,” she said. “You mean it. That’s more than enough, Cheesie. Please don’t apologize any more. We’re friends.” She rose up on the balls of her feet as high as she could go and threw her arms around him in a giant hug.

Cheese closed his eyes and sighed in relief. “That’s all I wanted to know,” he said. “I don’t have so many friends that I can afford to lose one.”

She let go of him and dropped back to the ground. “No one ever does, silly.”


~~

“I’m glad Mrs. Cake didn’t need me to babysit Pound and Pumpkin for very long after all,” said Pinkie. She and Cheese were seated at the far table in the bakery at Sugarcube’s, surrounded by pads of paper, envelopes, party horns, crayons, tubs of glitter, and at least twelve plates that had recently held cupcakes and muffins. Their hair and shoulders were dusted with flour. “We lost a couple of days of party planning.”

Cheese was mulling over a list, and didn’t lift his head or respond.

“You were really nice about the twins, though. Some people wouldn’t like dumping flour on their own heads, and they can scream kinda loud, and it’s like it didn’t even bother you.”

Cheese still didn’t respond.

“Anyhoo, I think we can get a lot done before closing. We’re all going out to a movie afterwards. Do you think you can come, just this once? Cheesie? CHEESIE!” She waved a hand in front of his face.

He startled, looked up, and shook his head slightly. “Sorry, boss. I think I’ll get hearing back in that ear eventually. Could you talk into the other one for now?” Pinkie somersaulted into the empty seat on his other side. “I explained everything to Trixie and said I made a mistake, and the volume got a little high. Luckily, it wasn’t hard to persuade her that I was a clueless, incompetent minion who had no idea what I was doing. I think she’s familiar with the type. She wasn’t happy to find out that she’d have to audition to be on the program, but I told her it was your decision. I think she’s going to want to. And I know you’re not going to like this, but I think you should let her. Otherwise, we’re going to run out of entertainment acts.”

“Really? Are you sure?”

“You’ve got the list of the events and the stations we’ve got to have. Read them off to me.”
Cheese pulled out a pencil and a fresh piece of paper, and began to draw a diagram.

“Main stage, first of all, right? That’s where the judging, the costume contest, and the main music acts go.”

“Main stage,” repeated Cheese, drawing a large box. “That’s another problem. I hope we can find at least one other band besides Flash Drive. It’s not as though we have lots of bands to choose from. Go on.”

“Food tent—”

“Back there,” Cheese said, and drew another box.

“Some tables for the rescue center, Tshirts, and some vendors. We’ve got some I’ve never even heard of,” she said, indicating the envelopes. “The Cakes are going to be happy.”

“Vendors,” said Cheese, drawing a long rectangle.

“Bouncy castle! I love those!”

“Bouncy castle.” Cheese drew another box, and smiled.

“Balloons over there—”

“And the balloons, of course.” Cheese added a small circle. “You know, I’ve never seen you use a helium tank for those.”

“Nuh-uh,” said Pinkie.

“Anyway—if those are over here, we’ll still need something over there for people to watch.” He drew an X over the empty spot. “Something for kids. Face painting and the bouncy castle are only going to go so far. I think we should have some small-scale acts. Trixie can be one of them.”

“But there are lots of things I could do,” Pinkie protested.

Cheese looked up and turned to face her. “You’re a dozen times better than Trixie, and much more fun. It’s not even close. But you’re running the balloon stand and the whole event, too. Pinkie, you can only do so much. There’s only one of you.”

“But there’s you. You have your accordion,” said Pinkie.

“I’m not going to be there, remember?” Cheese said, dropping his eyes back to the impromptu map. “No parties. I don’t think I could get away with it.”

“Aw. It’s not going to be as much fun without you,” said Pinkie, almost under her breath, but Cheese gave no indication that he’d heard this, and she pitched her voice higher. “I’m glad you could get away to the park yesterday. You sure were there fast.”

Cheese nodded. “I was expecting it anyway. I knew I was supposed to be there, but I still don’t know why.”

“You get those too?” Pinkie said, surprised. “I get those all the time!”

“Applejack mentioned that,” he said. “I only get them if I’m supposed to throw a party, or cheer someone up, or make them laugh: something like that. That’s one reason I talked to Trixie in the first place. She’s not very happy. I didn’t really have a choice. I wasn’t sure you’d understand that, though.”

“I know!” exclaimed Pinkie, and she pulled a balloon out of her pocket. “It’s so annoying! You show up and all you want to do is make someone smile, and instead of being happy you’re there, they’re all “how did you know I was in a bad mood? Why are you here?’ And if you explain, they never believe you.” She blew up the balloon.

“That’s it! That’s exactly what it’s like!” said Cheese.

“Huh,” said Pinkie, letting the balloon go. It slowly floated towards the ceiling. “I’ve never met anyone else who got those. Let’s not mention it to Sunset Shimmer, though. I hate it when she asks questions like that. It makes me feel weird.”

“Deal.”

“Did you play your accordion after I left yesterday?”

“Some,” said Cheese, turning almost as pink as Pinkie herself.

“Can you play it for me?”

“Well, ok,” he said, rising and snapping open the clasps of his accordion case. “It’s, um, not exactly the same song, but I think you’ll like it.”

He began to play. Last time, he’d played such an infectiously cheerful polka that Pinkie had to dance. This wasn’t that kind of song. It was trying to say something, and Pinkie simply sat still and listened.

The shop bell jingled, and Cheese stopped mid-phrase with a discordant clash.

“Well, that’s probably enough,” he stammered, letting the accordion deflate with a defeated sigh. “You’d better see what they want.”

Two men in sober business suits and correct ties approached the counter as Pinkie sprang over.

“We’d like some cupcakes,” said the taller of the two men.

“What flavor?” asked Pinkie. “We’ve got chocolate, vanilla, vanilla on chocolate, chocolate on vanilla, peanut butter—oh, wait. We’re all sold out of the peanut butter and the caramel.” Cheese glanced guiltily at the stack of empty plates.

The two men quietly consulted each other. “We’ll have to come back.”

“Let’s start with these. These are the basics. We can come back later. We’ll have one of each, Miss.” Pinkie carefully selected one of each type of cupcake, rang up the purchase, and the men carried their cupcakes to the table furthest away from Pinkie and Cheese.

The presence of the two new customers clearly made them both feel awkward. Finally, Cheese asked, “When do you think we should hold auditions, boss?”

“Next weekend,” she said. “I think you should be there if you can, don’t you? And I like being called ‘boss,’” she added, dimpling. “It’s nice to be boss of something. I wish you could play your accordion at the festival. I know you’re not allowed to go anywhere or do much. Why not?”

Cheese started stacking some papers, but Pinkie let the silence stretch on so long that it was uncomfortable. “I really don’t want to say,” he said finally. “But it’s kind of like what you were saying the other day—it’s supposed to be for my own good.” He paused, and then burst out, “I know you’ll understand this bit, Pinkie, and maybe you’re the only person who will. You know how you just have to try to make people smile? It’s not exactly a choice, right? You’ll do whatever it takes.” She nodded. “Well, most of the time, I’m not allowed to, and it makes everything worse.” He planted his elbows on the table and pillowed his chin on his fists.

“Hey, Cheesie?” said Pinkie, and blew a stream of bubbles at him.

“Oh, oops,” he said. “I’m setting you off. Sorry about that. Anyway, next weekend sounds good. What are those guys doing with their cupcakes?”

Pinkie turned to look at them and frowned. One of the men was cutting the cupcakes in tiny pieces, eating one piece, and muttering words like “mouth feel,” while the other took notes. “Hey, I’m sorry,” she shouted across the room, “but it’s a half hour after closing.”

One of the men looked up, alarmed. “Can we just have a few more minutes?”

“No,” said Pinkie. They packed up the remaining cupcakes and left hurriedly, and Pinkie flipped over the shop sign so it read “closed.” “I know I’m not supposed to do that,” she said, “but I had a weird feeling about those guys.”

“Me, too,” agreed Cheese.

The bell over the door jingled again. This time, Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy came in.

“I apologize, Pinkie Pie,” said Rarity. “We were on the other side of Sugarcube’s. I suppose we’d forgotten that we were supposed to meet you here.”

“No problem,” said Pinkie. “We were just doing some planning for the festival, and some mysterious guys did weird things with cupcakes, and we were talking about how Sunset Shimmer is really spooky sometimes.”

“She is,” Cheese agreed, as he finished stacking papers and putting the glitter jars in a box. “It’s not that we’re not learning anything, but—”

“But she asks all these questions like ‘how did you get that balloon inflated’ and ‘on a scale of one to ten, how strong are the physical manifestations of your premonitions?’ and we don’t even know what that means,” finished Pinkie.

Applejack frowned. “Tell her it’s none of her beeswax.”

“We’d like to,” said Cheese, “but I really need for her to tell Vice Principal Luna that I’m spending my time studying, so we do what she wants.”

“And she gets all friendshippy about it,” said Pinkie, wrinkling her nose. “I don’t think she knows what friendship is. Anyhoo, she’s trying, I guess.”

They finished stacking the papers and envelopes. “We were about to go see a movie,” Rarity said to Cheese. “Would you care to join us?”

“C’mon,” blustered Rainbow Dash. “I’m up to here with coaching and stuff, and we’ve got a game next week, and even I can make time. If I can, you can.”

“Yeah, unfortunately, I can’t,” said Cheese. “I really wish I could. Anyway, I’ll see you all tomorrow, I guess. ‘Night, Pinkie. ‘Night, you guys.”

He lifted the accordion case, tucked a folder with various lists in it under his arm, and left.

“What’s with him?” said Rainbow Dash. “He never just hangs out.”

Fluttershy said, “Um—I don’t think he’s allowed to hang out anywhere. When we study together, we really have to work and he always leaves in a hurry. And besides. . . well, I probably shouldn’t say.”

“Glitter, anybody?” Pinkie broke in. “You can always use more glitter, right?”

“No, you go on, Fluttershy,” said Applejack. “What were you going to say?”

“Well,” she said, drawing a circle with the toe of her shoe, “I was out on the East Side last week, putting out some humane traps for kitties so we could spay or neuter them. Do you know how many kittens a pair of cats can produce in seven years?”

“420,000,” said Rarity. “My Opal was spayed years ago.”

“You’re preaching to the choir, honey,” said Applejack. “Get to the important bit.”

“Well, I went past the house where Cheese lives, because there’s a big colony of cats over there, and I heard this voice screaming at him. A horrible screechy voice, saying over and over, ‘you’re in a lot of trouble, young man.’ “ She shuddered. “It was awful.”

Author's Note:

Always spay and neuter, folks.

This chapter was originally going to have another scene, but I decided to split it up differently. The day in the park Pinkie and Cheese are talking about happens in another story, “The Good Kind of Magic.”

I almost never specify songs anymore. I think most of the time, they don’t help, because if the reader doesn’t know the song, it just takes him or her out of the story. For the record, though, the song Cheese was playing in the park was “I’ve Told Every Little Star.” If you look up the lyrics, you can see why he might not want to play it for Pinkie. EDIT: And oh, dear, I do hate the Linda Scott cover. I didn't link to it because I cannot find a single cover of it I like and don't want to violate copyright by uploading mine. SECOND EDIT: HA! It's on Amazon, or you can look it up on ITunes. The album is called "Silver Linings," and it's the thirteenth track.