• Published 11th Apr 2014
  • 9,599 Views, 259 Comments

The Path to Parenthood - FictionFreek



Sometimes life can surprise you, one moment you can be living your days like any other, then the next you'll find that everything will change. Today Claire and Illusion will learn that, but are they ready?

  • ...
16
 259
 9,599

Chapter 7

A month passed since Claire made her promise to finish Twilight’s book. Since that day she has done everything she could to remain true to her word. Her first step was to re-read the book from cover to cover, refreshing her memory of what it contained. With each page it felt like a small window to her past, allowing her to relive the moments she shared with her aunt. And this book contained year’s worth of them, up until when she was fourteen, and Mother Nature began making visits.

“That’s when it all started to slow down.” After that Claire became uncomfortable with sharing personal information like that. But while Twilight understood completely, it also meant that the amount of new information she could add was limited. Claire tried to continue to help Twilight add to the book, but eventually she ran out of things she was comfortable sharing, and the book was soon shelved. The last entry was when Claire was seventeen.

Dracony strength test - #57

- By their late teen stage a dracony can greatly surpass that of a pony of equal or greater age. Though the male of the species can grow much larger than the female, it is still unknown if a mare dracony’s strength can surpass that of a stallion dracony.

Claire let out a chuckle as she thought back to the day they figured that out. She beat Gold D in a hoof wrestling match, it was a month before he lived that down. By this time her brother T had also taken part in adding to the book. His own feat of strength involved accidentally knocking over a tree with a single kick. But the chuckle was short lived, now finished she knew very well that this was only a fraction of what the book could have contained. Even before she finished it she knew what she could have added to it. So the very moment she finished re-reading the book, she went to work.

Though she wanted to finish this book in particular, Claire couldn’t bring herself to write on it, a part of her feeling that she had no right. So instead she chose to re-write it in a different book, adding any missing information along the way. It still felt embarrassing to write some of the information required, but she wasn’t going to back down.

As Claire wrote in the book she heard a knock on the bedroom door. “Come in.” she said not looking up. The door opened to reveal Illusion, in his magical hold was some kind of dish, its contents blocked by a lid.

“Room service.” He said with a smile as he walked up to the bed. This caught Claire’s attention and made her look up from the book.

“Finally,” she said placing her quill in the book before closing it “I’m starved.” With a chuckle Illusion placed the dish on the bed in front of Claire and removed the lid. The moment he did and saw what it was, Illusion felt himself cringe.

“Um…what did you order exactly?” Illusion felt he needed to ask. Claire levitated one of the several pieces on the plate, a hungry look on her face.

“Pickled sapphires dipped in batter, wrapped with hay, deep fried in vegetable oil, and coated in chocolate.” She informed him before taking a bite of the substance. The sight of it caused Illusion to let out a dry heave, quickly turning away so he couldn’t see it anymore.

“I see the food cravings have begun…” he said.

“What food cravings?” asked Claire as she took another bite of the deep fried sapphires. Gulping down the urge to heave yet again, Illusion turned back to Claire.

“Nothing, so were you working on the book?” he asked hoping to diverge her attention from the food for a bit.

“Yeah.” Claire said with a nod “I finished reading it over not too long ago, now I’m re-writing it so I can add in to some of the blanks in between.” Climbing on to the bed with Claire, Illusion looked down on the book.

“During the beginning of a female draconies menstrual cycle she-“Illusion’s words were cut short when a pillow was shoved in his face.

“Don’t read it out loud!” Claire said, her face blushed, trying to push Illusion off of the bed. Illusion could only chuckle as Claire rolled him over to the edge of the bed, allowing himself to fall over.

“Ah come on,” said Illusion as he rested his chin on the side of the bed “We’ve been together for decades, and we’ll be together for several more. Is it so wrong for me to know more about your species?” looking over to him, Claire saw Illusion giving her a puppy dog eyes look…literally. Even after all these years Claire could never resist those eyes for long.

“Alright…” she said looking back over to the book. With a smile Illusion climbed back on to the bed and laid next to Claire. “But you crack on joke and I’m force feeding you this.” Said Claire as she held up one of the sapphires on her plate only inches away from Illusions nose. Just being this close to the substance was enough to make Illusion feel his cholesterol rise.

“Understood.” He said, slowly moving his head back to prevent the deep fried sapphire from touching him.


In another part of the castle, Nidra was out and about. Roaming the halls she searched for something to occupy her boredom. The life of a princess wasn’t always thrilling, so outside of her duties Nidra would sometimes have a hard time finding something to do. “I supposed I could disguise myself and go out into town.” She thought to herself. If anything it would be more entertaining than remaining inside of the castle.

“Perhaps T could accompany me on some shopping?” she thought again, a small smile appearing across her lips. Though most males grimaced at the thought of going on a shopping trip with a mare, she knew T was different. Not once did he ever seem to mind going on one, maybe he was just good at hiding it, but he always found a way to make it enjoyable.

“Princess Nirda.” The call of her name snapped Nidra out of her thoughts. Looking over she saw one of the guards standing a few feet away from her.

“Yes?” she asked turning towards him.

“There is a mare at the gate who requests entrance to the castle, states that she knows you.” Nirda’s eyes opened slightly as she instantly thought of who that mare might be. But first she needed some form of conformation.

“And what did she look like?” she asked the guard. For a moment the guard seemed perplexed about how he would explain it, but finally he came out with it.

“Well, strangely enough she was a pale bat po-“ the guards sentence was cut short by a bright flash of light. It took some time, but eventually the spots blocking his vision faded away, and he was able to see that Nidra was no longer there.


Outside of the castles gates, right in front of two guards blocking her way, was the very pony mentioned. As the guard’s description said, she did in fact appear to be a bat pony with a pale pink coat. Both her mane and tail were a forest green with a lighter green highlight running through them. And finally there was her cutie mark, which was that of a pool of water that had several drops of water falling into it.

Patiently she stood in front of the gate, her smile never fading. Aside from the guards asking her to wait they had not given her much attention, but she didn’t seem to mind. She seemed to be plenty content enjoying the company of a small canary that stood on her outstretched hoof. Oddly enough she seemed to be having a conversation with it.

“Oh I haven’t seen the garden here, are they as lovely as I’ve heard?” she asked the small bird. It replied the only way a bird could, with several chirps that no other pony could understand. However this pony seemed to know exactly what the bird was saying as her mouth opened in awe. “Is it really?” she asked, the bird nodded its head “Oh I hope I can see it,” she said looking up in wonder. Again the bird began to chirp away at the pony.

“I would love to see your family then.” She said before the bird took off, waving as it made its way over the castle. As she looked away one of the guards looked over to the one beside him, though he only offered a small shrug as response. When the bird vanished from her sight the mare turned her attention back to the guards. Fortunately it seemed as though her wait was finally coming to an end.

There was a flash of light behind the two guards, a moment later a figure appeared behind them. This figure turned out to be Nidra, who quickly inspected the pony standing in wait “Oasis, it is you!” she said in glee, effectively scaring the guards.

“Aunt Nidra!” Oasis said with equal parts of joy. It was in that moment that both guards eyes opened wide, both making a face that clearly read ‘oh buck…’. Pushing past the guards, Nidra trotted up to Oasis and pulled her niece in for a hug. “It’s so good to see you again.” Said Oasis as she returned the hug.

“Likewise,” said Nirda as she released Oasis “What brings you all the way out to Canterlot?” she asked.

“I got a letter from aunt Claire a few days ago,” said Oasis as her excitement began to rise “Tell me, is it true?” she asked. Nidra knew instantly what Oasis was talking about, without saying a word she gave a small nod.

“Oh that’s just wonderful.” Said Oasis as she clapped her hooves. “I just know she’ll be a great mother, she was always a perfect foal sitter when I was younger.” She said. Instantly Nidra frowned, though clearly it was fake.

“Oh really?” she said with an arched brow “Well, that’s good to hear.” She said turning her head away from Oasis as she crossed her forelegs. Oasis let out a small giggle at her aunt’s antics, quickly pulling her in for another hug.

“Oh but nopony could compare to you.” She said.

“That’s better.” Said Nidra as she failed to hide the smirk that was forming on her mouth. “Well then, let’s not waste out time out here, I take it you want to congratulate her?” she asked to which Oasis nodded. “Come, I’ll take you to her.” She said as she led Oasis into the castle, seemingly ignoring the guards.

Once they were sure that Nidra was out of range of them, the two guards let out a small sigh of relief.


Once inside of the castle, Nidra and Oasis began to make their way to Claire’s room. “So how are things in the cottage?” asked Nidra. When her grandmother Fluttershy passed she made sure to have something to give to her family, even if it was one thing. In the will it was stated that Oasis was given Fluttershy’s home, and by extension the title of caretaker of any and all animals in need. A title that Oasis was all glad to accept.

“Things are great, I actually had the pleasure of seeing a phoenix egg hatch.” Said Oasis “Though I nearly lost my eyebrows when the little newborn burped fire.” She added with a small giggle. “That aside I’m just preparing for the winter, making sure all the animals have a nice warm place to hibernate.”

“Sounds like you really have everything under control.” Said Nidra.

“Well I was trained by the best.” Oasis said with a smile. It wasn’t long after that the two finally reached their destination. Nirda was the first to walk up to the door, giving it three consecutive knocks.

“Come in!” the heard from the other side of the door. Using her magic Nidra turned the nob and opened it, then took a step aside. Looking over she quietly motioned for Oasis to go in first, knowing full well she wanted her visit to be a surprise. Oasis obliged and walked in, instantly noticing the Claire wasn’t looking up, rather her attention on something she was writing. Curious, Oasis made her way to the side of the bed, as did Nirda.

Both stood in silence as the read what Claire was writing, but ultimately it was Nidra to break the silence “Really, you’re sensitive there?” her face becoming flushed for the second time today, Claire slammed the book shut.

“Haven’t you heard of knocking!?” she yelled at Nirda.

“I did knock…” said Nirda.

“Hi Aunt Claire.” Having looked up higher to see Nidra, Claire hadn’t noticed that there was somepony else around. Looking down slightly she was able to see who else had entered the room with Nidra, and a smile appeared on her face.

“Oasis!” Claire greeted as she hugged her “I take it you got my letter?” she asked.

“Oh I did, and I was happy to find out.” Said Oasis.

“So was I.” said Claire “Well, first I was surprised, then nervous, but then I was happy.” She clarified. “Also Illusion fainted.” She added right after, causing all of them to giggle slightly.

“Where is he anyway?” asked Nidra.

“HUUUURRRGGG!” they heard coming from the bathroom. Nidra and Oasis looked down at Claire who had a small smirk on her face.

“I think it must have been something he ate.” She said with a small chuckle. Pushing her book aside, Claire climbed off of bed. “Well since you’re here Oasis, how about we have some tea in the dining room and catch up?” suggested Claire.

“Oh that sounds lovely, but…” Oasis trailed off as she rubbed her hoof “Well, I was wondering, could we maybe have tea in the garden I’ve heard about?” she heard of the garden from her father before, and ever from Claire and Nidra in their letters. But as amazing as she heard it was, she never once saw it herself.

“Actually that sounds like a great idea.” Claire agreed “Come to think of it you’ve never seen the garden have you?” she recalled.

“To see something, one must visit more often.” Nidra teased as she lightly gabbed her elbow to Oasis side.

“Sorry, I promise I’ll visit more come winter though.” Said Oasis.

“Relax, I’m just kidding.” Nidra said with a giggle. With that the three mares made their way out of the room.


It didn’t take them very long to make themselves a pot of tea, and just as Oasis suggested, they made their way towards the castle garden. Oasis could feel herself growing more and more excited as they drew closer. She had heard that flowers from all over the world grew in this garden, and they all mixed together to form a rainbow of colors. Just like her mother, Oasis loved to grow flowers as well, but there were only so many she could grow.

Soon they reached the front doors of the garden, both Claire and Nidra standing between them and Oasis. “Ready?” they asked already seeing the look on her face, it was clear that they didn’t have to wait for an answer. Using their magic both used it to open one of the two doors, allowing the outside light to shine through.

Oasis jaw dropped at what she saw, her eyes opened wide at the utter amazement. She’d seen many gardens before, but this one was without a doubt the greatest she’d ever seen. Both Claire and Nidra watched as she slowly walked in to this garden of paradise.

The three took their time as they walked through the garden, allowing Oasis to take in all the sights it had to offer. Soon they reached the gazebo in the center of the garden where the three set up. Each taking a seat around the table with a freshly poured cup of tea in front of them, the three mares enjoyed themselves as they spoke with one another. All catching up on recent events, or just having fun with some random gossip, it has been a while since Oasis remember having fun with her aunts.

“So Aunt Claire, do you have a belly bump yet?” asked Oasis. Claire grimaced slightly at the thought as she placed a claw on her stomach.

“No, not yet,” she sighed “But I’m dreading the wait for it to happen. I try hard to keep my figure, now I’m going to get fat…” she groaned. Both Nidra and Oasis couldn’t help but give a small chuckle at this.

“I think it’ll all be worth it when your foal is finally born.” Said Oasis.

“Yeah, maybe.” Said Claire as she looked down at her stomach, still no sign of growth to be found, yet. “Still though, it’s going to be a pain to work off the extra weight after that.” She said with a sigh. “But I guess I have a long wait before I can start thinking about that.” She shrugged as she reached out for her tea.

“So, any changes from the pregnancy?” asked Nidra “Other than your very bizarre food cravings?” she added as she thought back to the plate of food she saw back in Claire’s room.

“Nothing yet, though the longer they take the happen the better I say.” Said Claire as she took a sip of her tea. “I am not looking forward to the mood swings.” She added.

“Oh yes.” Said Nidra “They’re bad enough on a regular mare, add claws and fangs and you’ve got yourself a dangerous combination.” Claire made no arguments there, she’d thought about it before.

“I’m sure you can handle it, remember, you’re not alone in this.” Oasis said with assurance to Claire. Thought she appreciated the sentiment, there was a small part of Claire that wasn’t full convinced that it would be enough. Mood swings were enough to make even Annie, who was probably the nicest pony around act mean. So one could imagine what it could do to a half dragon hybrid.

“Only time will tell.”

Author's Note:

About a week ago my mom used my laptop when I wasn't looking, apparently she found all the pregnancy websites I've searched through so I can write this fic. She then confronted me and asked "Is there something you're not telling me?"

I won't lie, I like to mess with my mom every now and then so I wasn't going to miss this chance. So I puffed out my chest, looked her in the eyes, and proudly proclaimed "Mom, I'm pregnant!"

Joke aside I never thought I be doing so much research for a fic before, but with no experience about this nor the ability to fake it, it was necessary. Right now Claire is sitting at two months pregnancy, maybe two and a half, and there will be a lot of time skips along the way to key points in pregnancy's. Until then, I have to keep a low profile from my mom who still thinks she's a grandmother.

FictionFreek out!