• Published 11th Apr 2014
  • 9,568 Views, 258 Comments

The Path to Parenthood - FictionFreek



Sometimes life can surprise you, one moment you can be living your days like any other, then the next you'll find that everything will change. Today Claire and Illusion will learn that, but are they ready?

  • ...
16
 258
 9,568

Chapter 1

The silence of the room was deafening. Claire, in a moment of joy and confidence announced to her husband what she believe would bring him great joy; she was pregnant. But now, seconds after she had told him, she was beginning to have doubts. Illusion hadn’t said a word; he simply stared at Claire, his mouth slightly open. He showed no sign of joy, fear, or even disappointment, and Claire couldn’t read him at all.

As the silence dragged on, Claire began to feel a chilling fear creep up on her. What would happen if Illusion didn’t want to be a father...? Would she have to give it up? The mere thought only furthered the spread of fear through her. She tried to gulp, but it felt like there was a hard lump in her throat, and she didn’t know what to do. She felt as though she would go insane if the silence stretched on any longer. If anyone were to break it now, she felt that it might as well be her.

“Illusion... I-“

“Are you sure?” Claire stopped when she heard Illusion speak. Looking at him, she saw that he still had the same unreadable expression.

“W-what?” Claire stammered in response.

“Are…are you sure... that you’re pregnant...?” Illusion asked once again, clarifying what he was inquiring about. He still wore that indistinguishable expression on his face, but the fact that he was speaking slightly relieved Claire.

“I…yes,” Claire answered, her horn beginning to glow with a magical hue. From inside the bathroom, three sticks held in Claire’s magical field floated outwards. They stopped just short of Illusion's sight, and Illusion took hold of them with his own magic. As they levitated in the air before him, he inspected each of them closely. They were all pregnancy tests, each of them recently used, and all saying the same thing:

PREGNANT.

Claire watched as Illusion looked at and inspected each test, reading the labels carefully. After about a minute of suspense, the pregnancy tests dropped from Illusion's hold and hit the ground. Illusion turned his attention back at Claire, and he looked deep into her eyes.

“You really are pregnant…” he said. Claire couldn’t bring herself to speak; all she could do was nod her head in response. After a few seconds, Illusion broke his gaze on her and looked down to the ground back at the pregnancy tests.

“This…this is…” Illusion began to stutter out. Just then, Claire began to see movement on the edges of Illusion's mouth. Slowly, they began to arch upwards and Illusion's eyes seemed to come alive as tears began to swell up in them. “This is incredible!” he yelled at the top of his lungs with the biggest smile Claire had ever seen from him. Illusion then lunged at Claire wrapping his forelegs around her and lifting her off the ground.

“Y-you’re not disappointed?” Claire asked.

“Disappointed, how could I be disappointed!?” he said “I’m going to be a father!” he yelled with glee. Just then any fear or doubts that Claire had accrued up until this moment melted away, and as tears ran down her eyes she returned her husband’s hug and shared in his glee.

“Easy there, I’m still a little nauseous,” Claire said with a chuckle. Illusion looked up at Claire and gave her a wide grin.

“Right, sorry...” Illusion apologized as he placed Claire back on her hooves. “It’s just so unreal, I mean, yeah I’ve always wanted a foal, but now that it’s actually happening...” Illusion trailed off.

“Yeah, I know what you mean.” Claire said leaning forward and nuzzling Illusion below his chin. Illusion returned Claire’s nuzzle and the two shared in a relaxing sigh, each basking in the moment. “So should we tell the rest of the family?” Claire asked after a few moments of comfortable silence.

“Of course,” Illusion said looking into Claire’s eyes “I can’t wait to tell them that I’m going to be a father!” he added with a smile. But after saying it for a second time, the full weight of Illusion's words finally hit him. His eyes opened wide and his pupils shrank to the size of pebbles as a strange smile spread on his face. And with a somewhat fear filled tone, he said:

“Dear mother, I’m going to be a father!”

And then, he passed out.


Behind the Canterlot castle was a great garden, one that only a select few have gained access to. It was a large and beautiful garden, and many flowers that could not be found anywhere else in Equestria grew here. This was a place that was near and dear to the hearts of royal family, and to this place they were called.

Two large doors that were the entrance to the garden began to glow a golden hue started to shift. Slowly, the doors opened as a figure walked through them; she was a large alicorn with a pure white coat. Her mane and tail that flowed through the wind glowed with every color there was under the sun. And right on her flank was a large glowing sun for a cutie mark; this pony was none other than Princess Celestia herself.

Celestia took in the colors of the surrounding garden as she walked along the detailed cobblestone path. There was a smile that spread across her lips as pleasant memories returned to her. Finally Celestia came to a halt as she reached the large gazebo in the middle of the garden. It was of a sturdy wood construction which was surrounded by a small pony made pond. Using the stone slab walkway Celestia continued forward until she made her way across. As she arrived she was met with a sight that she found rather humorous.

Sitting on one of the seats in the gazebo leaned over on the table was her younger sister, Luna. She was fast asleep, her head resting on a pillow with her tongue stuck out as she snored. Celestia couldn’t help but chuckle at the sight of her dead tired sister. Quietly, Celestia walked up to Luna and placed a hoof on her shoulder. “Luna,” she said gently as she shook her sister in an attempt to wake her up.

“No more cake for you, Tia, it’s starting to go to your-“

“Luna!”

“Discord did it!” Luna shouted with a snort as she sat up from her leaned over position.

“Oh that’s comforting.” From beside Celetia came a flash of light, and from within it appear appeared the very Draconequus whose name had been called. His arms were crossed and he tapped his foot as he stared at Luna.

“Sorry, force of-“ Luna paused as she looked over to Discord “Is that a marker in your paw?” she asked.

“Uh...” Quickly Discord tossed the marker over his shoulder. “No.” he then said with a sheepish smile. Celestia simple rolled her eyes, though that didn’t hide a small grin that had spread on her lips.

“I take it you two received a letter from Illusion as well?” asked Celestia.

“Yup,” Discord confirmed, and with a snap of his fingers, a rolled up parchment appeared in front of him. “It was magically delivered to me, telling me to come here at this time.” He said, unrolling the parchment and looking it over again.

“Same for me, though it doesn’t say why.” said Celestia looking over her own letter. “Luna, do you know what this could be about?” she asked.

“Honestly, I haven’t a clue.” Luna said with a shrug of her shoulders and a oblivious expression on her face.

“Well they better have a good reason…” At the sound of a younger voice, Celestia, Discord, and Luna turned their heads. From the sky two figures were landing, one was the owner of the voice, a young alicorn mare with light blue mane and tail and a dark gray coat. Her wings, unlike other alicorns, were that of a bat. She was the daughter of Luna, Nidra.

The other was the second of a small number of draconies; he was large with a light green coat while his claws and hair were a darker shade. And just like the mare standing beside him, his wings were also bat like, he was the son of the dragon Spike, and pony Rarity, Turquoise Blitz, or T to his friends and family.

“I am not a morning mare.” Nidra said with a grumpy demeanor. As Nidra and T walked up to the gazebo, Discord grew an amused grin. Flying up his put himself between them and placed his paw and claw on their shoulders.

“And yet you two arrive at the same time. Forgive my intrusion, but I must ask... what were you two up to this morning?” he said with a teasing tone that it caused a blush to spread across both T and Nidra's faces.

“It’s just a coincidence!” Nidra said with a scowl.

“She’s getting defensive,” Luna said with a snicker, joining in on the teasing.

“Mother!” Nidra whined as the others shared in a laugh.

“Looks like the whole gang's here.” From beside the gazebo landed a rather large purple figure, his weight was enough to cause the ground around him to shake.

“Ah, good to see you, Spike.” said Celestia as she walked up to the side of the gazebo to greet her dragon friend. Over the years he had grown to a large size, he could no longer fit inside of any normal home and as such he was too big to enter the gazebo in full. Instead he simply stuck his head in as far as his neck would allow.

“Did everyone get the same letter?” Spike asked, noticing everyone that was present at the moment.

“Looks like it,” T answered.

“I wonder what this is about.” Spike wondered.

“Maybe we’d know if they were on time,” said Nidra “I mean if they’re going to send us a letter telling us to be here at a certain time, the least they could do it is get here when everypony else does.” She added.

“We’re here!” at unison everyone turned to face the cobblestone path that lead up to where they were. Both Illusion and Claire were making their way towards them in a steady pace.

“About time…” said Nidra.

“Sorry we’re late, we got a little preoccupied,” Illusion explained, and by that he meant that Claire’s stomach decided not to be cooperative.

“Not a problem, we’ve only been waiting for a few minutes.” said Celestia.

“Great! Now I take it you’re all wondering why we’ve called you here...” Illusion said. All but Luna and Claire nodded their heads at this, but the suspense was too thick in the air for anyone to notice. “Well it’s because what I’m about to tell you has to be said face to face.” At first, Illusion had their curiosity, but now, he had their full attention.

Illusion took a deep breath, trying to calm himself and took Claire’s claw as both husband and wife stared at their family with a smile on their faces. And after a moment of pause, Claire delivered the news: “We’ve having a foal.”

The first time Claire delivered this news she was met with an uncomfortable silence, this time however, the silence was shattered instantly.

Almost at the same time each member of their family began to cheer in congratulations. Even Nidra dropped her grumpiness and replaced it with glee at the knowledge that her cousin-in-law and longtime friend was going to have a foal. “This is incredible, how long?” asked Nidra as she walked up to Claire.

“I don’t know, we just found out today, Luna was actually the one who told me to take a pregnancy test.” Claire responded. At that, Celestia looked back at Luna who had an innocent smile plastered on her face.

“Hey, would you have preferred to hear it from me, or your own daughter-in-law?” Luna asked. Celestia thought it over quickly and realized that she did have a good point. Sure it would have been great news had somepony else told her, but to hear it from the source, in this garden of all places, it was truly a moment to remember.

“I remember when I found out I was pregnant with Illusion,” said Celestia.

“And I with Nidra.” added Luna.

“It’s an incredible feeling, isn’t it?” Celestia asked her daughter-in-law.

“Yeah, and kind of scary.” said Claire.

“Trust me; that will go away the moment you see your child’s face.” said Celestia as she nuzzled Claire. While the mares were having a conversation of pride and joy, the males of the family were having a different conversation.

“So...How long did it take for you to faint when you found out?" asked T.

“I lasted thirty seconds after I found out Rarity was pregnant with Claire.

“I lasted twelve when Annie told me she was pregnant.” said T, rubbing the back of his head. Discord looked at the two as a grin spread on his face. He placed his paw and claw on his sides and puffed out his chest in pride as he proclaimed:

“A full minute!” To which T and Spike clapped their claws at Discord.

“Illusion lasted four!” Claire called out from across the gazebo. Instantly Discord let out the breath he was holding and his chest deflated back to its original size. Afterwords he snapped his finger creating a torch before passing it on to Illusion.

“Bested by my own son, what a proud day.” said Discord placing his paw around Illusions shoulder. “And what better way to find out I’m going to be a grandfather than in the very place my own son was conceived.”

“H-he’s just kidding, right?” Illusion said with a nervous chuckle as he looked over to his mother. But when he did, he found that she was having a rather hard time making eye contact with him.

“Well, I’ll never eat here again…” Illusion thought to himself. The praise and congratulations stretched on for several minutes. But after it was said and done, the seasoned parents all grouped up and stood in front of Illusion and Claire.

“Now I feel it best to warn you that this will in no way be easy,” said Celestia “This pregnancy is a new challenge to your relationship, and probably the greatest one you’ve ever faced.”

“There will be times when both of you may have your doubts, wondering if you are truly capable of being a parent,” said Discord.
“But so long as you remain strong, and be there for one another when those fears rise, you will be able to overcome them.” said Luna.

“In the end, when you finally bring that foal into this world you’ll find, that it was worth it all.” said Spike.

“Of course you won’t be facing this alone, we’re all here to help you when you need in.” Said T to which all the others nodded in agreement.

“So my son, and daughter.” said Celestia taking a step forward. “Are you ready the trials you will face?” she asked. Claire and Illusion stood in silence for a moment, both processing what they were told. They already knew this would be a difficult challenge for them; there was no doubt about it. So before they arrived they had already come up with an answer to that question.

“We don’t know.” said Illusion.

“But we’ll find out.” Claire added. Not looking away from their family, Illusion took Claire’s claw and held it firmly. And at the same time, without any hint of doubt, they said:

“Together.”

Author's Note:

You guys really wanted Illusion to faint XD

So there you go, another chapter. I'll work on the next one as soon as I can.