• Published 10th Apr 2014
  • 9,061 Views, 549 Comments

Seven Days in Sunny June, Book I - Shinzakura



A tale in the Berylverse. Meanwhile, a reality away, Sunset Shimmer's life has changed since she met Princess Twilight...and it's about to change even more, whether she likes it or not.

  • ...
26
 549
 9,061

January 6: Komm Und Spiel Mit Mir

On the subway ride home, Vinyl was very quiet. What she’d been offered…it was paradise, better than any drug or alcohol she’d ever partaken of; a chance at pure ecstasy.

But like any contract on the crossroads, if she got caught, she was done for. Bad enough that she came from a broken household, worse that life had gotten so bad at home that her older brother Long Play had essentially left to move in with their father in Detroit – yeah, how bad does your home life have to be that Detroit is the better option? But getting caught would mean a one-way ticket to The Blanks if she got off easy – and jail time if she didn’t.

Of course, either The Blanks or jail would probably be a preferred punishment compared to the hell she’d go through if her mother found out that her “pure, impressionable but a little too naïve for her own good” Vinyl liked girls – yes, in that way. Of course, Vinyl hadn’t known that at first: She’d thought the first guy she’d been with at the tender age of thirteen just meant that the first relationships weren’t the greatest. But then she met Cloud Kicker, and…well, Kicky’s standards were a little different, as the girl would do anything with a pulse, Vinyl included. They didn’t last of course: Vinyl, despite her rough, boisterous nature, wanted romance and Kicky just wanted, well, “her kicks”, but they still remained friends. The relationship, however, had been a learning experience for Vinyl, who now knew what she wanted in life, a Ms. Right of her very own.

And nothing crystallized that fact more than when she met someone nearly a full year ago – last February, to be precise. The girl in question probably didn’t remember; after all, after Vinyl’s mother got on her case to “clean up and not look like a slut” that day, Vinyl had slicked back her hair, wore her actual glasses – few people knew her shades were actually prescription lenses – and played classical guitar in a performance as a favor for an influential state politician her mother was likely fuc…“lobbying”. The girl had been complimented by a beauty with raven-dark hair and amethyst eyes that immediately set every iota of Vinyl’s being aflame with desire.

She’d thought about the girl on-and-off – more on than off, truthfully – for the past year, and had it not been for the chance occurrence last week, she would have never known who the girl was. But Flash’s fumbling attempt had led towards a name, an identity for Vinyl’s muse.

Octavia Melody.

Now, Vinyl had a chance – an opportunity! – to meet the girl and woo her, bed her and get everything the young deejay ever wanted. All it was going to cost, as she looked at the small medicinal bottle in her hand, was her soul.

“Where did you pick up this song?” Sunset asked Velvet as they pulled up in front of Canterlot High the first Monday after school resumed.

“Dear, Night and I have very extensive tastes in music. I wish I could have passed them onto my children, but maybe it’s more nurture than nature,” she sighed. “Who knows, maybe it’ll rub off on you if you stay with us long enough.”

“I really don’t think I’m going to be listening to…uh….”

“1970s West German pop music?” Velvet helpfully supplied.

“Yeah, that.”

The woman laughed. “Well…I don’t blame you. This is actually Night’s disc, not mine; really, I don’t care much for it either.” She shrugged. “So, headed straight to work after, or do you need someone to pick you up?”

Sunset shook her head. “No, Rarity, Fluttershy and I are going shopping afterwards, but I’ll be home for dinner.”

“Okay, then I’ll see you then.” Sunset kissed Velvet on the cheek and got out of the car, and as the Ford Edge drove off into the distance, she smiled to herself. Since that talk with Twilight, Sunset began to open up more to her foster family, and as the barriers fell, she began to feel the same comfort with them that they did with her. She’d even stopped having the nightmares over the holiday break. And while she didn’t know if she’d ever be safe from Princess Celestia’s wrath, she now knew that she’d have someone in her corner should it ever come to it.

After all, no one knows you better than family, she thought to herself with a smile as she headed towards the school’s entrance.


“Hey, Shimmer?” Sunset turned to see a girl walking towards her.

“Oh, hi, Minuette!” she said, waving.

Minuette blinked. “Wait…no ‘Colgate’, ‘Aqua Fresh’ or ‘Crest’ jokes?”

“No, that would be rude,” Sunset replied. “You’ve already got enough crap to deal with because both your parents are dentists and you’ve been teased non-stop about that since you were a kid. And speaking of which, I apologize for all the times I’ve been rude or me—”

“Wait – you sure you’re Sunset Shimmer? Or did you get replaced by an alien?”

“Well, in a manner of speaking, yes, I am Sunset Shimmer, and yes, I am an alien,” Sunset said, joking…or at least as far as the other girl knew.

Minuette blinked twice. “Uh, nevermind. Anyway, I can’t believe I’m asking you this, but…I need your help.”

“Why me?”

“Because, well…you’re a bully and mean an—”

“Pass,” Sunset said abruptly. When Minuette looked at her, Sunset added, “Look…I had my eyes opened over the past few months, and I’m extremely ashamed of the person I was. Now, you might not believe me, but I have five friends who trust me totally and I’m not willing to risk those friendships over going back to my old ways. Likewise, I have a family that loves me and I would not want to disappoint them by becoming the monster I was.” She gave the other girl a sympathetic look, but said, “If you want to talk it over with someone…I’d be happy to listen during lunch. But if you’re expecting me to beat anyone up, I’m sorry, but you’re mistaken.”

As Sunset walked away, Minuette said, “Can your friends be trusted?”

“With my deepest secrets – literally,” was Sunset’s answer.

“In that case, fine; I’ll join you at your table for lunch.”

“Oh, that’s easy, girls,” Twilight said with a smile. “The answer is ‘cuius est solum eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos’, which means ‘whoever owns the land, it is theirs up to the heavens and down to hell’.”

“Wow, Twilight, that’s awesome – I could never have passed my Latin test without your help!” the first girl said, gushing, while the second one behind her was just as amazed.

“Look, if you two need more help, let me know and we can meet for lunch in the library sometime and study, okay?”

“Thanks, Twilight!” the second girl called back, as both left.

“See you later, Amethyst Star, Sea Swirl!” she said, waving as they headed towards whatever plans they had for lunchtime. She heard chuckling behind her and Twilight didn’t have to turn around to address the individual. “What’s so funny, Tavi?”

“Those girls are totally crushing on you, you know that?” Octavia said as she met her cousin in the main corridor of their school. “Of course, you probably didn’t notice that, given that you have your head in a book half the time….”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “I’m not that dense. It’s just that my tastes don’t lean in that direction and I don’t want to encourage anything.”

“And how do you know, hmmm?”

“Well, what about you? Your date with a guy didn’t go so well. Willing to try batting for the other side?”

“‘Batting for the other side?’ You’re starting to sound like Sunny,” Octavia mock-groaned, but then added, “Seriously, though, two months ago you would’ve barely talked to those girls much less anything else.”

“Yeah, I know,” Twilight said as she cycled the combination on her locker and opened it. “The other day Dad said that he thinks having Sunny around’s been as good for the both of us as we’ve been for her.”

“The both of us?”

“Well, in case you haven’t noticed, you’re not as caustic or defensive as you used to be,” the younger cousin pointed out.

Octavia thought about it for a moment. “I guess you’re right, though I never thought of it that way.”

“Yeah, even Spike’s started to lay off the Sunny-hate as of late, and as funny as it seems, I’ve caught her referring to my parents as ‘Mom and Dad’ once in a while. I think she’s finally starting to feel like she’s part of the family, as far as she’s concerned.”

“Think your parents will adopt her?” Octavia asked.

“I dunno,” Twilight replied. “I think Shiny, Spike and I would be comfortable with it, but my parents might not be; I mean, it’s not like Sunny is Spike’s age, after all. She’ll be going to college in a few years – well, community college, if she doesn’t improve her grades – and that’s another expense for my parents while they’re thinking about their own futures and saving for Spike’s college fund.”

“I see your parents aren’t exactly worried about you getting a scholarship,” Octavia replied.

“Well, considering that I already got some interest from a few Ivy League schools, probably not. But getting back to what I was saying, the other thing is that I think Sunny sometimes worries that her previous guardian might try to take her back.”

“Do you think that’ll….” Octavia trailed off as two people approached them. Twilight, seeing the look on her cousin’s face, turned around and saw them as well, immediately understanding Octavia’s reaction. Both were seniors, both were incredibly beautiful and were very influential in the school. To call them the “queen bees” of the Zacherle Academy for Girls would have been a close but inaccurate statement; the tradition at the school was for the seniors to take underclassmen under their wing like older sisters, and the most popular girls tended to take this role seriously.

Even still, it was weird to have both Fleur Dis Lee and Champagne Dreams approaching them. “Excuse me, Twilight?” Champagne said, her soft, gentle voice holding a slightly amused tone in it that was reflected in the older girl’s wheat-colored eyes.

“Um, yes?” Twilight asked.

“This is for you,” Champagne said, giving Twilight a small note. “Someone slipped it into my locker with the request that I deliver it to you.”

“Thanks, Champagne,” Twilight said, appreciative.

“Not a problem; it’s always nice to see young love develop,” the older girl said with a smile, and Twilight turned a bright red in response. As Champagne giggled slightly, she added, “Don’t be so embarrassed, Twilight. You may not realize it, but you’re probably one of the prettiest in your age group. And while I’m going to guess that you don’t intend to model like Fleur and I do, you shouldn’t be surprised if people find you attractive.”

“You know, Chamie, it’s funny you mention that,” Fleur said, “because I got the same kind of note...but it’s addressed to Octavia here.” The coral-haired girl held up a similar looking envelope before handing it to the other sophomore. “Looks like someone – or someones – has noticed the two of you.”

Champagne grinned. “Perhaps they’ll be our successors as the school divas?”

Fleur nodded in approval. “They certainly have the qualities that embody it.”

The flax-haired girl looked at the nearest clock. “Well, lunch time’s passing and I’ve still a few other errands I’ve got to take care of. I’ll see you two ladies later, and best of luck!” For her part, Fleur gave the girls an encouraging wink and with that, both seniors departed.

Twilight and Octavia looked at each other, both of them completely surprised. “Did you…?” Twilight asked.

“Not a clue,” Octavia answered, not really sure what was going on.

Twilight, curious, opened hers first:

“Chez Crabbé? Wow, your secret admirer’s going all out!” crowed an awed Octavia. “That’s, like, the most expensive restaurant in Horseshoe Bay!”

“Yeah, it’s also an inn,” Twilight said, a look of slight worry on her face.

Octavia picked up on that instantly. “Hey, don’t worry. I really doubt that whomever it is that wants to meet you’s going to try anything with a hotel room. For one, we’re teenagers – anything stupid has ‘statutory’ written all over it. Plus, it just happens that the restaurant has the inn attached to it – I think more people go there for the food than to stay, since there are nicer hotels in town.”

“Okay, maybe I am a little too worried.”

“Trust me, you are. Now, let’s see what I’ve got.”

“Hmm. The Glazed Carrot. Never heard of it.”

“Sure you have: That’s where Shiny took Cady the night he proposed to her. It’s that restaurant downtown over on Cobblestone Road, across the street from that really loud nightclub.”

“Oh, that’s the one?” Octavia said with distaste. “Well, it’s not like I’m old enough or have any interest in going to The Boombox anyway. But, I wonder what the ratings are for the Glazed Carrot,” Octavia asked as she put the note in her pocket and pulled out her phone. “I’m sure Yelp’s got something on it.”

“Nervous?”

“Kinda – I’m worried that it might be Blueblood trying something.”

“I doubt it, Tavi. You told me yourself that Shiny scared the hell out of him, and even if that wasn’t the case, it’s been what, a year? He’s probably moved on to victimize some other poor girl.”

“Yeah, you’re right. It’s most likely some nerdy guy I met at one of my performances last year; I’ll have a nice dinner, he’ll ask me out again, and unless he’s worth the effort, I’ll probably just say no and we’ll remain friends. I mean, what’s the worst that could happen?” Putting away her phone, she said, “C’mon, let’s go get lunch while we still can.”

“You guys have to promise me that you won’t tell anyone about this,” Minuette told the group. “If you tell anyone, I’m jacked. And I’m serious about this, guys – I can’t even tell my friends!”

Sunset looked at her friends, who in turn nodded. “You have our word.”

“Okay,” the girl said, pulling a phone out of her pocket. “This phone belongs to my brother’s best friend; he left it at our place by accident, apparently. Since it looks like mine, I thought it was, and since I had to call my friends to tell them I was running late to meet them, I picked it up and used the default unlocking pattern. It wasn’t until I was looking for a picture in the gallery app that I realized it wasn’t mine…and that’s when I saw what freaked me out.” With that, Minuette passed the phone to Sunset.

Sunset took the phone and then one by one the other five girls looked at the images. Eventually, the looks on their faces went from confused to completely perturbed.

“Hey, Minnie,” Pinkie asked with her usual lack of aplomb, “why are you na—”

“Pinkie,” Applejack said, “Pinkie Promise me you're gonna keep quiet – now.”

The cotton-candy-haired girl sighed. “Okay. Cross my heart and hope to die, stick a needle in my eye,” she said, along with a complex bunch of motions that looked more akin to what a fourth-grader’s schoolyard vow. “Hey, why do we say ‘needle in the eye’, anyway? Who wants to put a needle in their eye? For that matter, who wants to die? Die, fly…hey! Can’t we just ‘hope to fly’ instead? And there’s got to be something better to stick in—”

“Pinkie!” Rainbow said, testily.

“All yours, Sunny,” Applejack continued.

“Thanks, AJ,” Sunset said before hushing her voice as she asked, “Minuette…why are there naked pictures of you on someone else’s phone?”

The girl looked like she was going to cry. “I used to date a guy that attends County; I sexted him a pic once…I know it was stupid to do so, and that pic was the first one you saw. But the others…I didn’t send him any of the others! I don’t even know where they came from!”

“Minuette, dear, if I may be frank…you look as though you’re in…” Rarity blushed furiously as she stammered, “…y-you’re in coitus in that fourth picture.”

“Yes,” she said, mortified. “I…I slept with Stylin’. He-he’s Waterfire’s boyfriend.”

“And Waterfire is?”

“My best friend,” Minuette said, looking as though her world was about to end. “I-I don’t remember what happened. Stylin’ asked me to go shopping with him last month to buy something for Wai – that’s Waterfire – and we stopped for lunch over at the Burger Shack. The next thing I remember is that….” She trailed off in an incomprehensible sob. “What have I done?”

“Well, if you ask me,” Rainbow said, her eyes narrowing, “you’re a two-timing b—”

“Rainbow, stop!” Fluttershy scolded. “That’s not helping! Besides, look at her! Does she look like she enjoyed it?”

The athlete, chastened, said, “Fine, I’ll hear the whole thing. But I swear, if she’s screwing over her friend – and screwing her friend’s boyfriend….” Rainbow pointed an accusing finger at Minuette. “You’re going to wish you didn’t say a damn thing to me.”

“Rainbow….” Sunset warned as she reached over to grab a napkin. “Minuette, what really happened?”

“I told you! I don’t remember! I-I just…we were at the Burger Shack one moment having lunch and talking about what Wai wanted for Christmas, and then the next thing I remember, I’m…I’m….” The look in her eyes was one of terror. “It was like I couldn’t stop. Like I wasn’t in control of my own body! I-I’m not making excuses! I’m serious!”

“Yeah, right,” Rainbow scoffed.

“Rainbow….”

“Look, sorry, you guys know I hate buddyfuckers. And you, Minuette? You took it literally.”

“So you don’t remember?” Sunset asked. “Did you consent?”

“Yes! No! I mean…I don’t know,” the blue-and-cornflower-haired girl moaned. “All I know is that the first thing I fully remember is that I woke up, sticky in a bed in the Motel 6 down in Sunnytown, and he was there with me. We swore to keep it a secret, I showered, then he drove me to the nearest subway station – I didn’t even want him to drive me home because I was afraid that Wai….” She looked at Sunset, and in her eyes, Sunset saw the same primal fear she had every time she thought of Princess Celestia. “All during Winter Break? I was freaking if I was pregnant or not – thankfully I take the pill already for hormonal reasons, so I think I’m safe. But I don’t know if he told Wai, or she suspects, and…she’s my best friend. We’ve known each other since Second Grade. And…I’d rather slash my wrists than hurt her. But if she finds out….”

“Well, we promised we wouldn’t say a thing, Minuette, dear, and we won’t,” Rarity vowed, “but if you wish for my advice, I would say speak to one of the school guidance counselors. I’m sure that either Mr. Iron Will or Mrs. Harshwinny can provide some suitable advice for you. But I do feel you should speak to an adult regarding this.”

“But we’re here for you if you need us, Minuette,” Fluttershy said, offering a shy smile.

“Thanks, girls. Now I’ve gotta get back before Wai and the others think something’s seriously wrong.” With that, she waved goodbye, then went back to join her friends.

“Well, any other fucked up shit for today?” Rainbow grunted, clearly not happy about the whole thing.

“She’s telling the truth,” Sunset told her friends.

“Frankly, Ah agree, but how are you sure?” Applejack asked.

“I’m presuming you….” Rarity finished off her sentence by wiggling her fingers; though odd-looking, for everyone present it was more than enough of a statement.

“No. Have to do it through my hands, since I’m not ‘cranially endowed’ right now,” Sunset replied, “and to add to that, the moon just came off its new phase, so I’d be draining myself more than usual – I could do a spell, but I wouldn’t be able to mask it. So, no, it’s just an educated guess.”

“Educated guess?” Fluttershy asked.

“You noticed it before I did, Flutters. That look in her eyes? She’s terrified. Not just afraid that she’s going to lose her friend, but that she really wasn’t in control. Believe me, if there’s a person here who understands that, it’s me.”

“Heya, Rarity?”

“Oh, hello, Macintosh, dear. What brings you here?” Which was, the teen fashionista had to admit, a good question: His locker was on the other side of the school and yet he was here. She wasn’t worried about that; he was a friend, and absolutely dedicated to his long-time girlfriend Sweetcream Scoops. If anything, she looked to him as a sort of brother figure, seeing that he was a couple of years older.

“Funny thing y’ should ask.” He reached into his pocket, pulling out a small envelope. “Someone dropped this in mah locker, an’ left a sticky note askin’ me t’ give it t’ you.”

“Really?” she asked as she accepted the note.

“Eyup.”

“Hrm. Well, thank you very much,” she told him. “I very much appreciate it.”

“No prob.” He gave her a grin, and with that, headed on his way back to his class, leaving her alone to open the letter:

A limousine and dinner at La Fantaisie? Rarity almost went weak in the knees. La Fantaisie was the rarest of the rares, a Five-Star Michelin restaurant that wasn’t in one of the top ten metro areas in the country – after all, Canterlot was only the 37th largest city in the nation. But the story went that when renowned chef Garde Manger decided to retire far away from the hustle and bustle of New York, he soon got tired of the easy life and opened up La Fantaisie in San Palomino.

Won’t Mother and Father be jealous – they’ve been trying to get reservations there for ages! she thought. Plus, a limo?

She suddenly was very glad that she’d decided to go shopping with Fluttershy and Sunset later today, as she was going to need to bring all of her class and skill to bear.

“Hi, I’m home,” Sunset said as she walked in, looking exhausted but happy from a trip to Equestria Fashion Centre. Practically dropping her bags on the ground, she had just enough time to take off her jacket before Velvet poked her head out from the kitchen.

“Sunny, could you come in here, please?” her foster mother asked.

“Sure, what’s up?” she asked, pausing only to give Velvet a kiss on the cheek. As she entered the kitchen, she noticed the group sitting at the table: Shining was sitting there in his uniform, and next to him was a woman with long brown hair and eyes the same color as Twilight’s; she was dressed in the uniform of the Equestria County Sheriff’s Department. Sitting between them was Cadance, who was still in her work clothing, having apparently come straight from her office. Finally, seated next to them was Twilight and Octavia, both of which had looks on their faces that could best be described as “worried.”

“Did I do something wrong?” Sunset asked.

“What?” Shining said. “Oh – no, nothing’s up right now, Sunny; just wanted to introduce you to a childhood friend of mine and Cady’s.” Gesturing to the woman, he said, “Sunset Shimmer, this is Sandalwood. Sandy just got out of the Navy last month and she just started her job last week with the ECSD. Sandy, Sunny’s the girl I was telling you about.”

Sandalwood eyed Sunset carefully. “So, you’re the crazy-ass girl who Shiny and his family managed to corral. Well, I’m guessing you’re not a total juvie.”

Cadance reached over and socked Sandalwood on the shoulder – hard. “Easy, Sandy. Sunny’s had some hard times, but she’s a good kid.”

“Hey, just giving the kid a hard time – wouldn’t be a cop if I didn’t.”

“Yeah, but the kid is like a sister to me, Sandy,” Shining pointed out.

“Yeah, just means I need to keep an eye out for her like I should with Twily, Tavi and Spike.” Looking at Sunny, she said, “Just giving you a line of crap, kid. Just having got out of the Navy means I haven’t quite ‘civilized’ myself yet.” Her comments were punctuated as the woman did finger quotation signs. “Seriously, though, you three girls take care of yourselves. Heard some seriously bad shit this morning at roll call, and it’s going to be rough out there for kids your age.”

“I’m guessing you got the same bulletin we did,” Shining said. “Our sergeant told us not to worry about that.”

“Yes, because nobody’s seen anything, so obviously we live in a crime free paradise,” Sandalwood snarked. “Still, you’ve got three teenage girls here, Shiny, so it’s best that they at least be aware.” Turning to the girls, the deputy commented, “About two weeks ago, the DEA started putting out bulletins regarding a new designer drug, a type of benzodiazepine that makes roofies look like Coke.”

“Roofies?” Sunset asked, not familiar with the term.

“You’re kid…oh, yeah, you must’ve kept a low profile if you haven’t even heard the jokes,” Sandalwood replied. “Roofies is short for rophypnol, a variant of the drug I mentioned. It’s used as a date rape drug because it’s both a muscle relaxant – not going to explain that one – and has a nasty side effect of having the victim not remember a thing.”

Not remember a thing? Sunset thought to herself, alarm bells going off in her mind as she recalled Minuette’s conversation from earlier.

“It started two weeks ago when some customs agents got word of an illegal shipment of ivory coming to the US by way of a ship coming into San Diego from Germany. They didn’t find ivory, but what they found was worse: an improved version of the drug, called Vibrasnopam – or The Vibe, as it’s been nicknamed in London. Unfortunately, they think it’s already gotten into the wild, and that we’ll be seeing it locally sometime in the future. Right now, it’s prohibitively expensive, so they’re not expecting it to get really out of hand unless someone reverse engineers it.”

“What’s it do?” Twilight asked, her curiosity getting the better of her.

“Look, Twily, I know that computer brain of yours likes interesting subjects, but stay the hell away from this one,” Sandalwood warned. “The Vibe has an extra component to it that makes the person ingesting it susceptible to suggestions – it’s a literal mind-control drug. Supposedly the German pharmaceutical company working on it stopped production immediately once they realized what they’d created, but the formula and samples were stolen from the lab before they could destroy everything.”

“You’re joking,” Twilight said, disbelieving.

“Nope, and you can take my crow if I am,” Sandalwood said solemnly; a second later, she facepalmed. “Yeah, gotta remember I’m not an MA2 anymore – no crow,” she muttered to herself before saying, “But seriously, girls: while I don’t think it’s going to be an issue, just…take care, okay? I got a little sister who just started going to Washington State last fall and I worry about Minty constantly – I don’t need the extra headache if I have to fret about you three, got it?”

“Got it,” Octavia replied.

“Crystal,” Twilight added.

Sunset was about to say something when her phone suddenly went off. Looking at the screen, she saw it was someone she hadn’t expected to call. “Excuse me, gotta take this.” Walking into the living room, she asked, “Heya, Blossom! Hadn’t expected you to call.”

“Oh, I’m glad I was able to get a hold of you!” Blossomforth shouted over the phone. “Look, Sunset, I need your help, and I know I’ve been a burden and we barely know each ot—”

“Stop right there, Blossom. I’ll be glad to help if I can. What’s up?”

“Can we talk tomorrow? I…I really don’t want to mention this over the phone and…please, don’t tell Kicky about it. She’ll go ballistic if she finds out.”

That’s not good. “Yeah, sure, Blossom, but I have to work tomorrow. Can you come by the café?”

“Yeah. Five work for you?”

“I’ll be there. See you then.” Hanging up the phone, Sunset’s mind roiled, her earlier thoughts now forgotten as Blossomforth’s problems came to the fore. I wonder what’s so bad that she can’t tell me over the phone?

“Hey, Sunny? You okay?” She felt a tapping on the shoulder and she looked to see Octavia there, looking concerned.

“Yeah, just lost in thought.”

“Obviously – I only asked you about four times if you wanted any ice cream.” She looked at her friend and pseudo-cousin intently. “You sure nothing’s wrong?”

“Oh, no – just got a call from a friend of mine that goes to County. She just needs some advice, so she wanted to see if she could come by the café tomorrow while I’m at work.”

“Okay, as long as it’s nothing….”

“Well, there is something….” Sunset started, a grave look on her face. When Octavia waited patiently, Sunset dragged it out for a few more seconds before asking, “Is there any double chocolate left?”

“Ugh – you are incorrigible, you know that?” Octavia groaned.

“Okay, you want to tell me what’s wrong?” Cloud Kicker said to Vinyl.

“Nothing’s wrong, Kicky,” Vinyl said, leaning back in the chair, looking at the moon. She hadn’t bothered to get dressed, and the moonlight reflected off parts of her pale skin. She took another smoke of the joint she’d lit, then placed it on the ashtray, placing the roach clip on the side.

“Nothing’s wrong,” the blonde scoffed. “You come over, I haven’t seen you in weeks, and suddenly you want the full ‘friends-with-benefits’ treatment, even though we broke up because you wanted more out of the relationship and it was me that was comfortable with the casual sex. So don’t bullshit me by telling me nothing’s wrong.”

Vinyl was quiet for the longest time before saying, “You know, you’re lucky – your parents don’t care who you bring home.”

“That’s because my parents are idiots – they figure as long as I’m having sex, smoking pot or getting drunk in the privacy of my own bedroom, I’m not out doing any of that where ‘bad things can happen to me’, quote unquote. What kind of parenting is that? I swear, if I ever have a kid, I’m going to make sure he or she is a complete prude.”

“No, I mean your parents don’t care that you’re bi. My mom would fucking kill me if she knew I was a lesbian. As far as she’s concerned, I’m only allowed to spread my legs if it’s the son of some state senator or higher.” Vinyl paused briefly before adding, “I told my Dad last time I talked to him. He didn’t care, said as long as I was happy that’s what matters. And my brother? Long Play says as long as he gets to spoil whatever nieces or nephews are born, he doesn’t care who I’m with either.”

“Sounds like you should move to Detroit to live with them.”

“Oh, the shit that will cause – Mom will start a war with lawyers over how Dad’s ‘corrupted my innocent, virginal mind’ or some crap like that.”

Cloud Kicker got out of the bed. “Just out of curiosity, where does she think you are now?”

Vinyl laughed. “I told her I’m here. I just lied my ass off about you: that you’re going to Zacherle and want to be a nun when you grow up.”

“Like that’s going to ever happen,” Cloud said, reaching for the joint. “So, are you going to tell me what’s wrong?”

“I think I’m in love with someone,” Vinyl said, “and the funny thing is, I don’t know her. Met her once, and I’ve sent a crush letter asking her out on a blind date. But I think I’ve got a sure thing, Kicks. I think I can win her heart.”

“Vi, nothing’s a sure thing when it comes to love; just one of those things you can’t force. Sex? Yeah, sex you can force, to some degree – especially when you’re a teen because we’re made for fucking! But love? No. If it was easy, your parents would still be together. Maybe we’d even still be together.”

“Oh, please – your idea of romance involves lubes and chocolate sauce.”

“Hey, I’m a creative girl,” Cloud Kicker purred as she passed the joint back to Vinyl. “Are you coming back to bed?”

“You want me smoking a doobie while we’re in bed?”

“In case you forgot, it’s January. That stuff on the ground out there? That’s called snow. And even though the house has central heating, just looking at the snow wants to make me crawl under the warm covers with the nearest hottie – that’d be you.”

Vinyl blushed, the flush showing along her body. “Thanks, Kicky.”

“But let me ask you something, Vi: If you love her, why are you here with me? Shouldn’t you be out there, trying to win her – what’s her name anyway?”

“Her name’s Octavia. And let’s be honest: anyone that’s friends with you will probably end up in the sack with you sooner or later. No offense, it’s just who you are.”

“Hey, for the record, I have two friends who I have no interest in doing the horizontal bop with,” Cloud Kicker replied. “Blossom…there’s just something about her that makes my brain automatically scream ‘no’ if I even try to think about it. And Sunset Shimmer; I know she’s solidly hetero.”

“Wait – you know that cunt?”

“Cunt? Are you kidding me? Sunset’s cool – she helped me out with a problem I had last month, and I appreciated the assist.”

“Here,” Vinyl said, offering her the clip. “I don’t think you’re stoned enough for reality to kick in yet. Seriously, she’s a twisted bitch, Kicky. She’s a friend you don’t need.”

“And yet she helped me with Blossom when she was feeling suicidal after her breakup. Does that sound like a bitch to you?”

“No, but it doesn’t sound like Sunset Shimmer, either.”

“Well, it was. And you’re changing the subject, Vinyl. What’s so special about this Octavia girl that’s got you completely pussywhipped?”

“Me, pussywhipped? You’ve got the wrong girl, Kicky.”

Purple eyes rolled in their sockets. “Vinyl, after you broke up with me, you dated Blueberry Cupcake for a while but you didn’t sound anything like you do now. With Blueberry, you were in control. Now, you sound like Octavia’s got you tied to her pantystrings – and you don’t even know her, you said! Did it ever occur to you that she might not walk on this side of the street, so to speak?”

“Yeah, it did,” Vinyl said softly. “But like I said, I got an edge.”

“What, friend of yours knows her? Knows she wants a pair of soft arms sweeping her off her feet instead of something manly? That she wants a trip to the Isle of Lesbos courtesy of the SS Saphos?”

“No, not like that,” Vinyl said, her voice fading into a somber quiet. “But…let’s just say I have an edge.”

“Vinyl, you’re being evasive. That’s not like you.”

“You mean it’s not like me with you,” Vinyl answered.

“Yeah. You promised me once that you’d be open with me, always: heart, mind, body….” Cloud Kicker grinned wickedly. “And legs.”

“I don’t want to talk about it now,” she said. “Besides, I can’t believe I’m here, talking about the concept of love with you, of all people.”

“Hey, believe it or not, I fell in love once,” Cloud Kicker replied. “Screwed that up hard, though. Don’t know if I’m ever made for being with one person, but hey – I just might try monogamy someday if the right offer comes up.”

“Yeah, rrriiiiiiighht,” Vinyl said as she shook her head at the impossibility. But a second later, she said, “Will you do me a favor?”

“Yes, I will make you orgasm at least twice more before the morning.”

“Funny. No, seriously…I just need you to promise me that if this goes wrong, you won’t hate me.”

“Vinyl….”

Promise me, Kicks.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about, but you’re a friend – I could never hate you. Especially because you’ve got the best tits of any girl I know, mine included.”

“Thanks, Kicky,” Vinyl said, taking the last puff before setting the spent remainder down. She then crawled back into the bed, kissing Cloud Kicker and blowing the remaining smoke into her mouth. “Now, let’s get busy until we’re exhausted. I don’t want to go to school tomorrow and I want to wake up sore and spent sometime around tomorrow afternoon. Think you can do that for me?”

“I think I can do it to you,” Cloud Kicker promised as she pulled her friend down into the sheets.

The following day, Sunset was approached by Principal Celestia. “Ms. Shimmer, may I have a word with you?” the educator asked.

“Um…sure. Am I in tr—”

“No, you’re not in trouble, by any means,” Celestia said.

“Okay, that makes me even more worried,” Sunset replied as she followed the older woman into her office. To her surprise, Vice Principal Luna was there, waiting for the both of them.

“Close the door, please. And have a seat.” As Sunset sat down, Celestia asked, “I understand you’re familiar with Ms. Minuette, are you not?”

“I…uh….”

“I’ll take that as a yes,” Celestia said.

Luna noted Sunset’s reaction and said, “Relax, Sunset. We know you’re not at fault; furthermore, she also informed the police that you were trying to help her when she….” Luna turned away, swearing something under her breath that was likely an Italian profanity.

Celestia shook her head. “I guess we should be upfront: last night, Minuette tried to take her life. I can’t give you the details, as they have not been made public yet, but suffice to say it was very fortunate that they were able to rush her to County General in time.”

Sunset gasped. “No! What…how….” The flame-haired girl paused for a second before asking, “Why?”

“We were hoping you could shed some light on that for us,” Luna answered.

“I-I can’t. I promised her,” Sunset started.

“I understand, and normally I’d commend you on that, especially given your…previous attitude. But one of my students – a girl who came to you in confidence – just tried to kill herself. And if you have any idea why, I need to know. You’re not breaking a promise; you’re helping to pull her back from whatever brought her to the brink of despair,” the principal replied.

Sunset sat there for a second as if weighing the decision before finally speaking. “She…she slept with her best friend’s boyfriend, but she claims she doesn’t know how it happened. Maybe they got drunk and stupid, I don’t know…but the look in her eyes? Something tells me she’s not lying. Plus, the last memory she has of the whole thing is that she was having lunch with Stylin’.”

“Stylin’, you said?” Luna asked.

“Yes, he’s Waterfire’s boyfriend, and the guy involved.”

“I see,” the nocturnal-haired woman replied, but didn’t elaborate.

“Sunset…I would ask that you go and see her and ask her to tell what you just told us to the police,” Celestia advised. “It contradicts what she told them earlier: that she was feeling depressed about something and suddenly she felt like cutting herself. I’ve studied some reports on that phenomenon and I can’t say that Minuette fits that profile.”

“I’ll be glad to help if I can.” Sunset then looked at the clock. “Well, I’m going to be late for work, so if you’ll excuse me….”

“You’re dismissed, Sunset. And thank you for your assistance,” Celestia said warmly. Once the teen departed, Celestia looked at her sister. “Stylin’’s apparently involved. Interesting.”

“Given that, I think you may want to take my suggestion seriously, sis.”

“I’ll take it under advisement, Lulu. I want to run it past Velvet, first – a censored version, at least. Velvet is, after all, her mother.”

“Don’t you mean foster mother?”

“Two months ago? Yes. Now?” The pastel-haired woman looked at where the recovering youth had been sitting just a minute prior. “Now, I wouldn’t be surprised if Ms. Shimmer finally met her match – a person whose caring can overcome Sunset’s apathy.”

Octavia popped open the back of her parents’ minivan, then slid her contrabass in. She then got into the passenger seat. “Thanks for picking me up, Dad.”

“Hey, I’m just glad you remembered who I am, considering I’m gone most of the time,” Evening Sonnet said to his daughter.

“Oh, c’mon, Dad – just because I’m with Uncle Night and Aunt Velvet most of the time does not mean you and Mom are horrid parents,” she said, slipping on the seat belt. “Especially since you’re going to let me go on that date, right?”

“Tavi, I have to admit…I’m a little concerned about that, especially given my mistake last year,” he admitted. “I’d be especially happy if you went on a double-date. Maybe have Twily go out with a friend, or maybe Sunset can go with you.”

She rolled her eyes. “Dad, I’m older now. I can handle myself, and after that whole thing with Blueblood, I know what to look out for. I’ll be fine. Don’t worry.”

“Sorry, sweetie – I just remember the little girl I used to sing lullabies to when she was just weeks old…and it’s almost like I blinked and now you’re nearly a grown woman.” He shook his head. “It’s never easy for a parent, especially when you’re on the road and you’re missing every detail of your daughter’s life.”

“Dad, I know what you and Mom do is important. And you’re the best at it – and you’re not stuck up bitches like mom’s sist—”

“Octavia, that’s not the way to refer to your aunts,” he scolded her. “Even if you are correct.”

“Whatever. But I’ll be fine, Dad, I promise. It’s just a date; it’s not like there’s any sort of grand conspiracy behind it, you know,” she assured him. “After it’s over, either I’ll have made a friend or I’ll have a second date to determine if he’s boyfriend material. Don’t worry.”

“If you’re sure,” he said, stroking his beard. Octavia knew that gesture; he only did it when he was giving in despite what he felt was his better judgment.

“Yes, I’m sure,” she said, reaching over to kiss him on the cheek. “Now let’s go home. I’d like to spend at least the rest of the week with you and Mom before you disappear for another few weeks and I forget who you two are once again.”

“Hey!”

She grinned. “Just kidding, Dad.”

“Thanks for coming with me, Blossom,” Sunset said as walked down the hallways of County General, on the way to Minuette’s room. After what happened, she got a hold of Pinkie and asked if they could switch days; Pinkie happily agreed, as she needed to be home early anyway because her aunt and uncle were going out after the café closed. Sunset went with her to the café so she could meet Blossomforth, and then from there the two went off to County General.

“No, that’s okay; it lets me get my mind off my problem,” she said. “Besides, I knew Minuette from when we went to elementary school together, and it’ll be nice to see her again, though I wish it were under better circumstances,” the floral-haired girl replied.

“Aaagh! Sorry, Blossom, I completely forgot about your issue. Sorry, I should be a better friend about that.” And that was a word I never thought I’d use outside of my circle, though she kept that thought to herself.

“No, it’s okay. My problem…won’t pop up for a while,” Blossomforth replied. “And Minuette needs our help now,” she said as the two arrived at Minuette’s room.

“Hey, Minuette?” Sunset said, knocking on the door.

“Hi. I’d wave, but….” The damage was clear from what she’d done: her arms were heavily wrapped up in gauze, well up past her elbows.

Blossomforth gasped. “Minnie?”

“Blossom? What are you doing here?”

“I was talking to Sunny here and—”

“Wow, Sunset…you really have changed if you can get someone as timid as Blossomforth on your side,” Minuette said. She then paused, as Sunset was looking at her with a mixture of sorrow and anger.

“Why? Why did you try to kill yourself?” Sunset asked angrily. Behind her, Blossomforth gasped in shock.

“Yeah. Slit my wrists and then brought the knife down the length of the arm. Almost died from blood loss; if I hadn’t forgotten to close the door, my parents would’ve been too late.” Tears started rolling down the teen’s cheeks. “And it doesn’t matter anyway; doctors say the cuts are going to scar, so my arms are ruined. And even then, my life is ruined!”

“You didn’t answer my question, Minuette,” Sunset said. Her voice held a tinge of anger, both directed and not directed at Minuette at the same time. Sunset’s own life had been hell – still was, considering she was marked for death on her homeworld – but she had never once considered taking her own life.

But then again, I’ve always preferred to fight battles, not run from them, Sunset mused, and based on all the kids I picked on and bullied, usually running away was their preferred option. Just like in Equestria, sometimes I don’t fit in with the crowd.

“I’m sorry,” Minuette said, turning away from her friends.

“Hey, I’m not mad at you – not entirely, but I think I deserve to know what the hell’s going on.”

“Just….” She paused. “Blossom, can you step outside? I need to tell Sunset something in private.”

“Um…sure. Just let me know when it’s safe to come back in. And please, Minnie, don’t think you have no one to turn to.” Blossomforth went over and embraced Minuette, but as much as the bedridden girl tried to hide it, Sunset noticed that Minuette recoiled from the other girl’s innocent gesture of affection.

As Blossomforth departed, Sunset said, “Why did you jus—”

Cutting her off, she said, “In my bag in the closet there is my phone. The PIN number is 37225.”

“Minu—”

“Just…just do it.” Sunset complied, digging out the phone. As she did, Minuette continued to give her directions. “Someone emailed me a video file last night. In the downloads folder, click on the MKV file and it should play.”

Sunset did so, and started to watch the video, her eyes opening up in shock. “What th—what the fuck is this?” she asked, revulsion sliding in as she saw the images on the screen.

Minuette yelped, “Sunset, you have to believe me! I…I don’t know, but I’m not guilty! I didn’t do—!”

Sunset looked at her, stunned, then back at the video. On the screen, the caption on-screen said simply, THERE’S MORE WHERE THIS CAME FROM. On the video could be best described as a mass of writhing bodies, skin against skin, going at it as though it was their job to repopulate the entire planet. Oddly, the faces of the boys involved were censored out completely, but the faces of several girls were very visible:

Minuette.

Autumn Gem.

Red Gala.

A girl that Sunset didn’t know personally, but went to County and came by the café often.

And Blossomforth.

“I….” Minuette stammered as Sunset watched the girl that looked like Minuette making out with the girl that looked like Blossomforth before….

“I’ve seen more than enough.” Sunset stuffed the phone in her pocket, then pulled out her own. “You can borrow mine for a couple of days, Minuette. Unlock pattern’s a five-pointed star.”

“No, keep yours – and hold onto mine. I’m not going to need it for a few days,” she said, indicating her ruined arms. “But…Sunset, I—”

“I believe you,” Sunset replied, and the other girl sighed in relief, the teary look on her face changing to one of joy. “I’m going to find out what the hell’s going on, Minuette, I promise.”

“Minnie,” she said, in a tone of gratitude. “All my friends call me Minnie.”

“Then you can call me Sunny,” Sunset said with a smile. “But I’ll get to the bottom of this. You have my word.”

“Thanks, Sunny.”

“Oh, one last thing,” Sunset said.

“Yes?”

“Sleep.” Sunset raised her hand and it erupted with celestine brilliance, causing Minuette to immediately drift into slumber. Moving quickly, Sunset took the girl’s arms, and her own began to glow with magic. I really hope this spell works, because healing cantrips were never my forte, and I’m weak enough here on Earth as is. She spent several seconds holding Minuette’s arms, the glow radiating from her hands into the injured girl’s wounds. I can’t get rid of my own scar, much less hers, but maybe I can lessen it so that it won’t look so horrific when it heals. A minute later, Sunset felt completely drained – that took much more magic out of me than I thought – but she was sure that she got the spell right.

After all, it had been one that Princess Celestia insisted she learn, back when they were as close as could be.


Slipping quietly out of the room, she saw Blossomforth sitting on a nearby chair. “She cried herself to sleep,” Sunset lied, “but she didn’t want to freak you out, Blossom.”

“No, I wouldn’t have,” Blossomforth insisted. “She’s a friend, and…why did she do this?”

“I…I don’t know. She wouldn’t tell me and I…maybe she’ll open up about it someday.” A thought came to Sunset. “But she did mention something: Have you gone to any parties recently?”

“Yeah. Back in October my boyfriend and I went to this really swanky party in Horseshoe Bay that was being hosted by his cousin. A lot of boys and girls were there…but….” She paused. “I…I really don’t remember much about it.”

“Really?” Sunset’s blood suddenly went cold at that answer.

“Yeah. I just remember drinking a Sprite when we first got there, and…the next thing was that it was two in the morning and my boyfriend’s driving me back to my place from the party. I also recall being sore, but…maybe I was just dancing a lot?”

There was a knock on Principal Celestia’s office the next morning. “Yes?” Sunset opened the door and came in. “Why, hello, Ms. Shimmer. Usually you don’t come t—”

Sunset locked the door and sat down in front of the principal, pulling Minuette’s phone out of her pocket and placing it on the table. “We need to talk.”