• Published 24th Feb 2014
  • 6,641 Views, 458 Comments

Outsider's Game: Turning Wheel - Bluecho



Skullgirls/MLP Crossover. Painwheel won her freedom, and it's an entirely hollow victory. Perhaps forced emigration to Equestria will soothe her pain.

  • ...
27
 458
 6,641

12 - The Biting Chains [Rewrite]

Ch. 12 - The Biting Chains [Rewrite]

“Howdy!”

A very bored Painwheel peered to the balcony overlooking the basement. A familiar Earth pony sidled through the door, stetson sitting on her blond head. Painwheel honestly knew not whether to be uneasy or thankful at the arrival. On the one hand, the orange-furred farmer hadn't endeared herself to the human. Getting pelted in the face by debris will do that.

On the other hand, Painwheel typically had three things to do while waiting for her appointments: wait impatiently for a meal, dread the arrival of Twilight Sparkle, and sit quietly with nothing but throbbing parasitic pain for company. “Hello,” Painwheel said, watching the Earth pony walk down the stairs. “Is it your turn to grace me with your presence?”

“Eeyup,” Applejack said, trotting over. “Ah decided, what with my sister and her friends coming over for their little meeting with Twilight, that Ah'd come along.”

“Oh...” Painwheel said, frowning. “Those...kids are here too?”

Almost on cue, a crash came from above. It was the sound of ceramic hitting wood. A muffled apology could be heard through the walls.

“Oh, they're here, alright,” Applejack said, chuckling. “Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo have what they call 'Twilight Time' every week. Twilight's always been smart, so she's taken to instructing them on stuff like magic or potion making...or mechanics...” Applejack trailed off, growing visibly disconcerted.

That explained so much. Painwheel's greatest (Equestrian) enemies were in collusion. She snorted derisively.

“...yeah...” Applejack mumbled. She attempted a smile; it was tainted by a nervous, guilty countenance. Eventually she sighed, taking her hat off and holding it in front of her. “Bein' all contrite and er'rything, Ah came mostly to apologize.”

Painwheel blinked. “Okay,” she said. “Go on.”

“Ah talked to Applebloom and the others, after we tied you up like a hay bale and sent you to dreamland. After we sent for a hospital cart for Rainbow Dash. Ah wanted to know what those fillies were doin', and you said something 'bout a powered cart.

“They spilled the beans, a' course,” Applejack said, eyes downcast. “That they went and built an engine and stuck it in one of the old Apple Family carts, and started driving it through town. How it went out of control...and how you were the only one around who could stop it before it crashed or exploded.” She looked up at Painwheel. “When Ah came in, all Ah could see was a scary monster, towerin' over those girls and spooking them right fierce. It...didn't occur ta me that Ah might have been seeing their savior.” She placed the hat back on her head. The human couldn't help notice a patch on it, likely where she shot it through with a dart. “For what it's worth, Ah'm sorry. Sorry for attacking ya when it weren't proper or necessary.”

The human frowned. “...you're not really to blame,” Painwheel said. “I was the one who overreacted. I was...just so angry.”

“But Ah was angry too,” Applejack said. “Ah was angry that my sister...and with er'rythin' and...how do Ah say this?” A hoof rose to her temple, messaging it. “...you have an excuse for why ya'll acted the way you did. Ah didn't. Ah saw my sister and her friends were safe, and instead of holding back so Twi and Fluttershy could defuse the situation, Ah ran in hooves blazing and made er'rythin' worse.

“It always happens with me,” the farmer continued, looking away somberly. “Ah'm supposed ta be the sensible one. Ah gotta be, what with workin' on the farm and runnin' the apple stand...and havin' to deal with my friends.” She lowered her voice a tad, stealing glances to the basement door above. “Who Ah might say have pretty...dramatic personalities.”

“Tell me about it,” Painwheel said, a minute smile crossing her lips. “Rarity was in here yesterday.”

“See what Ah mean?” Applejack snorted. But her merriment dimmed again. “So Ah can't afford to go off and make bull-headed decisions. And most times, Ah don't...unless my family gets involved.”

Family. Painwheel's chest tightened. She swallowed hard.

“If it's my family, Ah seem ta always make the dumb moves,” Applejack said, mournfully. “Like Ah can't think sensible, you know? Then er'rypony suffers 'cause of my hot head. Like when my brother Big Macintosh got injured one time, and Ah decided it would be a good idea ta take all the harvest responsibilities onta myself, instead a' askin' for help. Or that time with the vampire fruit bats...”

“Vampire fruit bats?” Painwheel said, befuddled. What fresh hell was this now?

“It's an entire thing,” Applejack said, looking away. “Ah...don't really want ta talk about it. Point is, Ah'm stupid when it comes ta my family...and it eats me up inside that Ah took it out on you.”

Painwheel wanted to respond. To tell Applejack she wasn't to blame. That Painwheel didn't have the excuse of fighting for anyone but herself. But before she could say anything, a chorus of cheers erupted from upstairs.

“Looks like someponies are having a good time,” Applejack said, beaming slightly. “You know Painwheel, Ah'm glad those fillies get to spend time here er'ry week.”

“Why?” Painwheel asked, puzzled. “Is it because they're getting an education? Does this world not have regular schools?”

“Naw, we do have school,” Applejack said. “Those three go to school all week, at a little schoolhouse. Run by Miss Cherilee. Nice lady, knows her stuff. But then again, she teaches young foals. Twilight knows a lot more about...well basically er'rythin'.”

“Maybe a bit too much,” Painwheel muttered softly, hoping the Earth pony wouldn't hear.

No such luck. “Yeah, sorry about that too,” Applejack said. “Twi's really a sweet mare, but like me she's got places where her brightness...ain't so much bright. You know?” She shook her head. “But that's not all of why Ah like to see Applebloom and her little friends around here. It's also 'cause Ah know when they're over at Twilight's, they ain't getting into trouble.

“You know that cart?” she continued. “They do that kind of stuff all the time. Been doin' it for years. Hang gliding, float building, musical theater, eating competitions, consorting with chaos...it's enough to drive me up the wall.” To emphasis her point, she clutched her hooves to the sides of her head and messaged them.

“Then why let it go on?” Painwheel asked. They did such blatantly dangerous stunts all the time? How were they not dead yet? “Do they have a death wish? What is all this for?”

“Cutie marks.”

“Cutie whats?”

“Cutie marks,” Applejack repeated. She turned so her side faced the seated human. A forehoof bent back and pointed to her flank, upon which was an image of three red apples. “One of these. Er'rypony gets one when they're old enough. They represent their special talent, what that pony is good at.” Applejack's voice carried a tone of exhaustion. “Mine's for being so good at applebuckin'.” She demonstrated by rearing and kicking with her back legs.

“Yeah, I know,” Painwheel quiped, “I got to feel the force behind those legs personally. Thanks for almost collapsing my ribcage, by the way.”

“Sorry again,” Applejack said, rubbing the back of her head. “Like I said, though, cutie marks come to er'rypony in time. Trouble is, Applebloom and her little friends are young and impatient. They want to find their special talents soon as possible, so they formed their team – the Cutie Mark Crusaders – to do all sorts of stuff and find them. Like throwing a whole lotta stuff against the wall to see what sticks.

“On the one hoof, Ah don't wanna be that kind of sister that squashes their fun or stops them from following their dreams. Ah don't. But on the other hoof, I get so worried all the time.” A deep, concerned frown crossed her face. Her ears when flat against her head. “Any given day, Ah worry that maybe that'll be the day somepony comes with the bad news. That they hurt themselves or killed themselves doing something reckless. Or that they'll come back with cutie marks in...things Ah don't even want to think about.”

A sobering thought. Painwheel – or rather Carol – had no siblings. She was an only child. But she could understand the sentiment well enough. Perpetually fearful of a loved one – a young one at that – going off and not coming home. Yet at the same time knowing they'll only be ill-served if they're never allowed to pursue their interests or find their true callings.

What's my true calling? Painwheel pondered this thought a moment. She hadn't really thought about what she would be doing the rest of her life, even before Lab Zero. Now that she was Painwheel – bound in an accursed straightjacket of her own body – what could she do? Not to mention she wasn't even on Earth anymore. Up until she got to Equestria her preoccupation was with getting free, killing the Skullgirl, and going home. She'd completed all of those things, and none of it helped. Now Painwheel was stuck in Equestria with no signs of going returning to her world.

Slowly it dawned on her. An uncomfortable realization. If I was released tomorrow, she thought, what would I do? If I gained my freedom, what would it be the freedom to do? What's MY special talent?

And would it be worth pursuing...if it meant living in such pain?


“So did you hear the news?”

Twilight picked through the pile of produce on sale. Spike requested a number of vegetables, particularly carrots and beans. Somehow, he'd managed to find a Griffon cookbook, and picked out a recipe for white chicken soup. It sounded...well, honestly it made Twilight queasy just thinking about it, but she could hardly account for the tastes of a meat-eater. Knowing how much work he went through to get the main ingredient (cough cough), she offered to pick up the rest herself.

Besides, Twilight Sparkle spent more than enough time in the library these days. It was nice to get out...and out of Painwheel's hair. Twilight felt guilty being in the same room with her.

“No, I haven't, Carrot Top,” Twilight said, setting her selections to one side of the produce stand. “I've been cooped up in the library for a while. What news is this?”

“Okay get this, Twilight,” said Golden Harvest – or Carrot Top as she was often called. “I heard from Written Script that the groundskeeper for the Ponyville Cemetery woke up yesterday and found several graves dug up. Dirt piled everywhere, and the graves inside emptied. Isn't that spooky?”

“Whoa! That is spooky!” Twilight said, whistling. “Do they have any idea who or what could have done it?”

“Nope, not a clue. Weird thing is, Noteworthy was out there visiting his mom the day before, and he said nothing was wrong. So whoever – or whatever – dug up those graves did it in one night.” She punctuated the last three words by tapping the cart with a hoof.

“Oh dear,” Twilight said, stroking her chin. “To do that would require an entire team of ponies working. And you're saying it was how many graves?”

“A dozen or so, I think,” Carrot Top said, holding her hoof out to accept Twilight's bits. “Thanks for your business, Twilight! I'll keep my ear out if anything new develops.”

“I sure hope nothing 'develops' from this, if it's all the same to you,” Twilight said, giving a dry chuckle. She waved goodbye as she walked back home. First Painwheel arrived in Ponyville, and now grave-robbing. What was next? More vampire related shenanigans?

Author's Note:

Thanks to Kind Of Brony for the suggestions that inspired this rewrite. Even when I was writing the previous version, I didn't feel it was up to my standards, or addressed the needs of the story in a logical and fitting manner. It took liberties with character, and relied on too much nonsensical action to justify it. So I scrapped it in favor of this.

Applejack's monologue was inspired by Tommy Oliver's FiMpressions video on "Somepony To Watch Over Me".