• Published 24th Feb 2014
  • 6,645 Views, 458 Comments

Outsider's Game: Turning Wheel - Bluecho



Skullgirls/MLP Crossover. Painwheel won her freedom, and it's an entirely hollow victory. Perhaps forced emigration to Equestria will soothe her pain.

  • ...
27
 458
 6,645

25 - Afternoon After

Ch. 25 - Afternoon After


“I heard it took a Sonic Rainboom to the face, and kept walking.”

“Didn't stop moving, even after it was cut to pieces!”

“Could hear it from the Everfree Forest. Hear it...screaming...”

“They let it out? Just like that?”

“...personally thanked by Princess Celestia herself. Can you believe it?”

“Going to be closed for weeks, not including the time it takes to replace the coffee maker.”

“I lost the keys to my apartment. Would have died last night, if that thing caught me!”

“Send a monster to kill a monster?”

“Saved Ponyville!”

“My son was dug up from his grave. Seeing that thing...knowing what it did with him...makes me sick.”

“Beat the thing when Princess Twilight and her friends couldn't!”

“Does she have a name?”


“Painwheel!”

Her muscles felt sore even before she shifted, causing the Gae Bolga to squirm. A dull ache, punctuated by sharp ones. “Mrrr...” she groaned, screwing up her face while digging it into the pillow. From the corner of her eye, she could see through clasped shut lids the dull red glow of light. She tried burying her face deeper, but that only elicited further complaints from her erstwhile internal companions.

“Painwheel...wake up...”

“...grrr...” she grumbled, hands turning to feel the bed beneath her. It felt soft under her fingers. Not that it stopped further minor pain from shooting up her arms with each movement.

“Hey Painwheel!”

“Tch.” Between the noise, the sunlight, and the agony of living, the human girl would obtain no more sleep. Annoying.

Reluctantly, Painwheel pushed against the bed, raising her torso up a few precious inches. Her neck ached, dull and sharp, as she turned it, peeking her face from against the pillow. Unnatural eyes blinked frantically, looking towards the source of the infernal sound. “...whaaaaat?” she whined, eyebrows knit irritably.

Spike the Dragon fidgeted in place. “Uh...it's almost four in the afternoon,” he said, frowning. “You've been sleeping an awfully long time.”

“...long night...” Painwheel mumbled, blinking slowly. “...fights are...exhausting...” An understatement, as far as she was concerned. She felt like taking another year to sleep.

“Okay,” Spike said, shrugging. “But I'm sure you're hungry by now...”

Her traitorous belly whined audibly, causing her face to flush vividly. She cringed, sighing.

Spike smiled, stifling a chuckle. “I've got food ready upstairs, if you want it.” He walked back up the stairs from the basement.

“...ugh...fine.” Painwheel raised the Buar Drive from where it sat propped against the side of the bedpost. Deliberately, she crawled off the bed, stepping gingerly to the floor. It was cold, causing her to take her feet back, but winced with the pain that induced. Finally, she bit the bullet, and clamored off, making her way gradually out of the basement, hunched over to the point of practically crawling on all fours.

She felt profoundly tired. Scaling the stairs was akin to climbing a mountain.


“More toast?”

“Mm hmm.”

At least her hand remained steady as it shoveled pancake and peas into her mouth. She smacked loudly, savoring the taste. Between the pain and the generous helpings of maple syrup, Painwheel felt she might just wake up for real.

Lucky me, she thought grimly.

Spike handed her another slice of toast, then set about washing the skillet. “So...are you excited, Painwheel?” he asked.

Painwheel swallowed hard. “Excited?”

“For the party!” Spike said, waving a hand in the air. “The party Pinkie Pie is throwing you. It's on today. Heck, I think it's starting in an hour.”

Scowl. “There's still going to be a party?” she asked, trying to chop off pieces of pancake with a fork. “After everything that happened?”

“What can I say?” Spike said, shrugging. “Pinkie Pie won't let disasters stop her from throwing a party, especially if it's in honor of someone new to town.” He tapped one of the crests atop his head. “If anything,” he mumbled, “Pinkie seemed more determined when last I saw her.”

“I'm not going.”

Spike looked over his shoulder. He noticed that Painwheel had stopped playing with her food altogether. “Really?”

“Really,” Painwheel said, nodding. “I don't feel like going to a party. Don't feel like...doing anything...”

The dragon frowned, considering it. “Well, I hate to make you do something you don't feel up to doing...but I think you have to go.”

“I hardly think I 'have' to go, Spike,” Painwheel said, licking a drop of syrup that got on her fork. “I don't 'have' to do anything.”

“Maybe...but I think you will go.”

She looked over to him, ogling the dragon with her red and black eyes. “What makes you say that?”

“Aside from that I think it'll be good for you to get out of the library and doing things,” Spike said, dropping the last of the dishes in the soapy sink, “I don't think you have much of a choice.”

“Why?” Painwheel said, raising an eyebrow.

“Because I know Pinkie Pie,” Spike explained. “I've known her for a little while now. Her special talent is throwing parties. She is Ponyville's resident Greatest Party Pony. She's the bearer of the Element of Laughter...or was anyway...” Spike mumbled that last bit.

“And?”

“And...I've had time to figure her out,” Spike continued. He scratched the back of his head. “Not as much as I wish I did, but I know the mare. She won't leave this alone. When Twilight and I were still new, Pinkie invited Twilight to some party or another; I forget what. When she found out Twilight was 'too tired' to show up, Pinkie brought the party to her.”

“You think she'll show up here and try to get me to go?” Painwheel asked, shifting in her seat. “No offense, but I can survive her nagging...”

“No, Painwheel, you don't get it.” Spike waved his clawed hands in front of him. “When I said Pinkie brought the party to Twilight, I mean that literally. She packed the entire shindig up, guests and decorations and all, and moved them to the library. And that's when Pinkie was just trying to do something good for her new friend. You're really new, and Pinkie hasn't thrown you a party yet. And it's your party. If she finds out you're not coming to your own party, she'll happily move the whole thing over here.”

The human leaned back, mouth agape. “Are you fucking with me?”

“No! I'm not!” Spike held either side of his face, anxious. “Pinkie Pie takes parties seriously. If you don't come, she'll take the party to you.”

Painwheel gulped, eyes wide. She had not considered that possibility. Scratching her face, she shrank a little. “Mrr...” she whined.

“Plus,” Spike said, raising an index talon, “Rarity worked really hard on that dress. You don't want to disappoint her, do you?”

“...no...” Fidgeting in the chair, Painwheel looked away.

“Okay then!” The dragon walked across the kitchen, reaching up to pat Painwheel gingerly on the knee. “So why don't you wash up, and change into that dress, and we'll head out. Can you do that?”

“...okay...”

Wiping away the crumbs from her lips, Painwheel rose from the chair and wandered out. With Spike pointing towards the bathroom, she made her way upstairs.

At least scaling these stairs was easier.


??? Years Ago

“You gotta get me out of here, man! Come on!”

“Believe me, I despise your internment as much as you.”

“Oh, forgive me for doubting that. You're not the one stuck here!”

“I meant in principle. This kind of thing disgusts me to my very core.”

“Then help me out!”

“Can't. This is some powerful magic sealing you. Deep magic. Not even I have the power to break you out. Especially since...well...you heard what will happen if I try.”

“'I'm my own greatest warden.' Son of a-”

“Indeed. If I try getting you out, you'll be forced to defend your own seal. And if the two of us go at it...that's all she wrote.”

“There's gotta be something you could do!”

“I have some ideas. It will involve shenanigans, but it might work.”

“Then get to it already!”

“This might take time. And I'm on a busy schedule as it is.”

“You're not going to just leave me here! We had a deal!”

“Don't worry, I'll be back. I shouldn't be long.”

He was very long in returning.


Present Day

Other than the occasional worker hauling away bits of shattered masonry, the streets of Ponyville were curiously deserted. Any number of things could account for it, as far as Painwheel could tell. Dust was a fair problem, since the battle kicked up a fair amount. Not strange for Ponyville citizens to avoid it by not walking around outside.

Construction and recovery efforts worked full bore that day, so perhaps the townsponies left to get away from it. Or perhaps the possible threat of further monster attacks compelled them to seek a vacation.

Or, Painwheel surmised ruefully, word got out she would be heading through town, and nopony wanted to be on the streets during that time.

Painwheel scowled, though partly for her aching limbs than anything.

“We're almost there, Painwheel,” Spike said, leading the human along by the hand.

They turned the corner, leading to a shop constructed in the manner of a massive pastry. On a delicately painted sign, it was written “Sugarcube Corner”. However, as they approached, it became clear the lights were all out inside. Spike tapped his chin quizzically. “That's weird. I thought it would be...” Stepping closer, he picked up a note attached to the shop entrance. “'Spike, we've moved the party to town hall. Love, Pinkie Pie.' Huh. Weird.” He turned back towards Painwheel. “Guess we're not there yet.”

“Mmmmrrr...” Painwheel groaned, eyes narrowing. She hopped from one foot to the other, wishing she could just sit down. As she followed again, Painwheel thought she heard the flapping of wings nearby. However, looking around revealed nothing.

They traveled even farther, but eventually found their way to the town hall. The sun was setting, and dipped behind a building by the time they reached it. Curiously, the windows were all dark in the town hall as well.

There wasn't a note on the door this time. “What the hay is going on here?” Spike said, scratching the back of his head. He seemed to pause in thought, then led Painwheel by the hand to the door. “Guess we better check inside, just to be safe.”

“Uh...” Painwheel said, puzzled.

The door squeaked softly when they entered. Beyond it hung darkness.

“Uuuuh...”

Spike led the way into the room. Painwheel looked around, as if to see in the dark room. All of a sudden, Spike released her hand.

“Ah!” Painwheel gasped, clutching at the empty air. She looked behind her, only to see the door swing shut, plunging the entryway into shadow. She cringed, hugging her arms to her chest. Painwheel looked out into black. “...Spike...?”

The lights came on suddenly.

“SURPRISE!” cheered the entire town, or thereabouts.