• Published 8th Feb 2014
  • 1,747 Views, 75 Comments

The Jack of All Trades - Lord Zalgo



Equestria's luckiest stallion is thrust into a very unlucky situation. The life of a single stallion and six mares as they defend their world from monsters from places worse than Tartarus... and the days in-between.

  • ...
15
 75
 1,747

Green Isn't Your Colour

“She’s going to want to see attitude and pizzazz.” Rarity said as she paced around the stage Fluttershy was standing on.

“A-attitude and, um... pizzazz.” Fluttershy nervously repeated.

“More light! It has to catch the sequins just so or the whole outfit is just a disaster. Oh, and the headdress need more feathers. Pinkie Pie! More feathers! And sequins! More sequins!” Rarity continued to give orders as she made numerous adjustments to Fluttershy’s outfit with the help of Pinkie Pie and a love-struck Spike.

“Oh, this hem is completely off. PINCUSHION!” Rarity yelled as Spike leapt to her side with pins in his back. She took a few pins and shooed Spike away.

“Thank you all for helping me. I'm sorry to be so short with you, but I'm... I'm just so nervous.” Rarity said.

“Anypony would be, Rarity. We’re still here for you.” Phoenix said. Rarity’s cheeks turned slightly pink as she took in a breath and exhaled slowly.

“I suppose you’re right. Thank you, Phoenix. Would you be a dear and get my maroon thread from my workroom? It should be by the large mirror.” Rarity requested.

“Sure. I’ll be right back.” Phoenix said as he walked up the stairs and towards Rarity’s workroom. He looked around for a minute before finding the thread and returning to the shop section. Phoenix began to hear a voice that he was unfamiliar with in the room. As he entered, he saw a mare in an eye-catching dress that covered her Cutie Mark and pink goggles that covered her eyes completely. Her coat was cyan and her mane and tail were crystal white.

“Yes. Really. And I, Photo Finish, am going to help her to shine all over Eqvestria. Tomorrow a photo shoot in zhe park.” Photo Finish said dramatically.

“Hello, Ms Finish.” Phoenix said calmly. She looked to Phoenix and the colour instantly drained from her face.

“You...” Photo Finish whispered. She seemed to be frozen to the spot. Nopony dared to move as she watched Phoenix’s every move before motioning her crew to leave and for Phoenix to follow her. As they left the boutique, Photo and Phoenix walked into the alley near Carousel Boutique.

“Are you here to collect my husband’s debt?” Photo asked uncharacteristically timidly. While Photo’s face showed nothing but fear, Phoenix’s showed nothing but confusion.

“No, Ms Finish. Your husband’s debt to me has already been paid.” Phoenix replied.

“Zhen, vhy does he continue to watch zhe phone in fear?” Photo asked. Phoenix thought for a moment.

“Maybe it’s because I didn’t ask for much. I think he’s just afraid I’ll come knocking on his door one day.” Phoenix said.

“Vhat do you zhink vill convince him?” Photo asked.

“...I don’t know.” Phoenix replied. Silence fell between them until Photo broke it.

“Vhat if I did a favour for you? Maybe zhat would convince him.” Photo said.

“Hmm... It might. But, I don’t want anything from you.” Phoenix said softly.

“Vell... Just... Zhink about it... Please.” Photo said as she began to walk away.

“Don’t worry, Ms Finish. If I can’t think of anything, I’ll talk to Hoity about it.” Phoenix called after her as he smiled softly. She stopped for a moment and looked back with a small smile of her own before continuing to walk. Phoenix returned to the boutique as the girls were leaving. Phoenix joined them and they offered Rarity the opportunity to celebrate with them, but she refused, wanting to focus on creating more outfits for Fluttershy to model for Photo Finish. After the small celebration at Sugarcube Corner, Phoenix walked home with only one thought on his mind.

His situation with Photo Finish.

He pushed the thought from his mind as he turned in for the night. The next few days rolled by and throughout it, everypony discovered that Photo wasn’t referring to Rarity when she was talking about her star. She was referring to Fluttershy, whom was drafted as Photo Finish’s new model. Phoenix was standing with Applejack at her stall and had Fluttershy’s face plastered on the merchandise.

“What’s with the Flutter-tisement?” Phoenix asked.

“Well, Ah’m just makin’ the best of a situation. Somepony saw Fluttershy buyin’ from me and they went straight up to me an’ asked if Fluttershy likes the stuff Ah sell. Next thing Ah know, Ah’m bein’ asked to put ‘Fluttershy approved’ on the stall.” Applejack replied.

“I can’t imagine that Fluttershy likes any of the attention.” Phoenix said.

“Ah know, sugarcube. But, what can ya do?” Applejack replied. Apple Bloom ran up to the two of them with a sheet of paper in her mouth.

“Applejack! Sweetie Belle wrote us a little song to help advertisin’!” Apple Bloom said excitedly.

“Well, I think I speak for your sister as well when I say that you should give it a try right now.” Phoenix said with a caring smile as Applejack nodded in agreement. Apple Bloom set the paper down, took a quick read and cleared her throat.


Eat Apple treats, all night and day,
They’ll make you laugh and give a yay~
They’re great for you and me,
You’ll want to kiss a tree,
Eat Apple treats, all night and day,
They’ll make you laugh and give a yay~
They’re great for you and me,
You’ll want to kiss a tree.

Apple Bloom continued to repeat the small song, but true to its purpose, more ponies were coming to the stall. Phoenix and Applejack smiled at the excited little filly until Phoenix bade them both farewell. As he made his way through town square, he saw Fluttershy wearing a large hat and sunglasses as a form of disguise. Why she didn’t bother to cover the rest of her body or even her Cutie Mark, he didn’t know. Knowing the last thing she wanted was attention, Phoenix subtly approached her and got her attention.

“Fluttershy, what are you doing here?” Phoenix asked quietly. Fluttershy jumped at Phoenix voice, but calmed herself quickly.

“I still want to live my life normally, but I keep getting followed by fans.” Fluttershy replied, stress clear in her voice.

“Yeah, I thought you wouldn’t be liking the attention.” Phoenix said sympathetically.

“Oh, Phoenix, I hate being a model.” Phoenix was surprised that Fluttershy would use such a strong word like ‘hate’.

“I’m sure Photo would understand if you wanted to quit.” Phoenix said.

“Oh, no. I couldn’t do that to Rarity.” Fluttershy replied.

“Rarity?”

“Yes. She’s the one who pushed me to be a model in the first place. Quitting would just upset her. Besides, I don’t think Photo Finish would let me quit anyway.”

“If you told Rarity the truth she would definitely understand.”

“...Do you think so?” Fluttershy asked weakly.

“Take it from a professional liar, Fluttershy. The truth is always brought to light, regardless. If you tell her the truth, she’ll understand. And... I think I know a way to convince Photo Finish to let you quit.” Phoenix replied with a smile. Fluttershy slowly smiled back before hugging the stallion. They went their separate ways as Fluttershy went to Carousel Boutique and Phoenix went to Photo Finish’s temporary studio. As he walked in, the repellent smell of excessive makeup assaulted his nasal passages. He looked around to see some ponies giving him odd looks until he saw Photo Finish overlooking a photo shoot. He walked over to her and tapped her on the shoulder. She turned around and for a moment looked like she was going to have a heart attack.

“Can I help you?” Photo asked as she calmed down.

“Is the offer to do me a favour still valid?” Phoenix asked politely.

“Ja. Have you thought of something?” Photo replied.

“Yes. I’d like you to let Fluttershy quit from being a model.” Phoenix replied calmly.

“Vhat?!”

“I’m guessing you’re not taking to the idea.” Phoenix replied somewhat sarcastically.

“Flootershy is vone of zhe best models zhat I have. Vhy vould she vant to leave?” Photo asked.

“It’s just getting to her. She hates crowds, attention and being separated from her friends. It’s tearing her apart. If not for me, please... do it for her.” Phoenix softly pleaded. Photo remained silent for a moment.

“Very vell. If she really isn’t happy doing zhis, I won’t force her.” Photo said with a hint of sadness in her voice.

“She wasn’t unhappy with you, specifically. She just didn’t like being a model. It’s just not who she is.” Phoenix comforted.

“Danke.” Photo replied in Germane.

“Maybe now you can convince Hoity that both of you aren’t indebted to me anymore.” Phoenix said. Photo chuckled before nodding happily. The two parted and Phoenix set out to find Fluttershy. He found her in the spa sitting in the sauna with Rarity. When she spotted him, she stood up and walked towards him. She kept her distance, as she was sweating a little but still gave him her attention.

“How did it go?” Fluttershy asked.

“I could ask you the same thing.” Phoenix replied cheekily.

“Apparently, Rarity was jealous and wanted me to stop, but didn’t say anything because she felt bad and thought I loved being a model. So, we were in the same boat about me wanting to quit.” Fluttershy explained.

“Well, I talked to Photo Finish and you’re off the hook.” Phoenix said.

“Really? Thank goodness. Oh, I hope she didn’t take it too hard.” Fluttershy said timidly.

“Don’t worry. She felt better when I told her that it was the modelling that was getting you down, rather than her.” Phoenix explained.

“Oh, good. Thank you, Phoenix. Would you like to join us?” Fluttershy offered. Phoenix thought for a moment before looking towards Fluttershy and saw the dreaded puppy dog eyes.

“Heh. Why not?” Phoenix said before paying the spa ponies and joining the girls.