• Published 8th Feb 2014
  • 1,747 Views, 75 Comments

The Jack of All Trades - Lord Zalgo



Equestria's luckiest stallion is thrust into a very unlucky situation. The life of a single stallion and six mares as they defend their world from monsters from places worse than Tartarus... and the days in-between.

  • ...
15
 75
 1,747

Winter Wrap Up

Phoenix exhaled in exhaustion as he finally completed the repairs on the final wrecked house in Ponyville. Mayor Mare walked up to him, the snow crunching under her hooves.

“Is it finally done?” Mayor Mare asked excitedly, but politely. Phoenix turned to smile at her.

“Yeah, it’s all done. I still can’t believe that I left town for one day and when I came back there was damage across the entire town.” Phoenix said.

“I understand. Thank you so much for your help though, Mr Fortesque. To stay on the job for three months to make sure all the damages were repaired is a very admirable feat.” The Mayor replied. Phoenix chuckled.

“Well, with other ponies helping me, you and my friends inspiring me and Fluttershy bringing lemonade whenever she could, I persevered.” Phoenix said, causing the Mayor to chuckle.

“Does she still feel guilty?” The Mayor asked.

“Not as much as she did. It’s Winter Wrap Up day today, is it not?” Phoenix asked.

“Indeed it is. I just hope we’ll get it done on time this year.” The Mayor said gloomily.

“Oh, don’t be that way, Mayor. Do you need a hug?” Phoenix comforted. The Mayor chuckled as she shook her head.

“That won’t be necessary, thank you. Did you go to town hall to get your vest yet?” The Mayor asked.

“Yes, I did. I’m on the plant team, although I don’t think green is my colour.” Phoenix said.

“Indeed. I think blue would suit you the most, however you lack what is required for the weather team.” The Mayor replied.

“Yeah, imagine if I just grew wings. That would freak a lot of ponies out.” Phoenix said, causing them both to share a chuckle. More ponies were emerging from their homes as they began to don their vests and gather outside of town hall. Phoenix stood at the front of the crowd as he slipped on his green vest. Applejack and Big Mac arrived and noticed Phoenix, so Applejack decided to stand next to him, to which Big Mac had no objections and followed. Mayor Mare walked up on stage and spoke to the crowd.

“Thank you, everypony, for being here bright and early. We need every single pony's help to wrap up winter, and bring in spring. Now, all of you have your vests, and have been assigned to your teams, so let's do even better than last year, and have the quickest Winter Wrap Up ever! Alright everypony, find your team leader, and let's get galloping!” The Mayor spoke, pausing at regular intervals to let the crowd cheer. The ponies in the crowd began to disperse.

Three months of winter coolness and awesome holidays!

We've kept our hoovsies warm at home, time off from work to play!

But the food we've stored is runnin' out and we can't grow in this cold.

And even though I love my boots, this fashion's getting old.

The time has come to welcome spring and all things warm and green, but it's also time to say goodbye. It's winter we must clean. How can I help? I'm new, you see. What does everypony do? How do I fit in without magic? I haven't got a clue!

Winter Wrap Up! Winter Wrap Up! Let's finish our holiday cheer!
Winter Wrap Up! Winter Wrap Up!

'Cause tomorrow spring–
–is here!
'Cause tomorrow spring is here!

Bringing home the southern birds, a Pegasus' job begins. And clearing all the gloomy skies, to let the sunshine in. We move the clouds and we melt the white snow…
When the sun comes up its warmth and beauty will glow!

Winter Wrap Up! Winter Wrap Up! Let's finish our holiday cheer. Winter Wrap Up! Winter Wrap Up! 'Cause tomorrow spring is here! Winter Wrap Up! Winter Wrap Up! 'Cause tomorrow spring is here. 'Cause tomorrow spring is here!

Little critters hibernate under the snow and ice.

We wake up all their sleepy heads, so quietly and nice.

We help them gather up their food. Fix their homes below.

We welcome back the southern birds.

So their families can grow!

Winter Wrap Up! Winter Wrap Up! (Winter, winter) Let's finish our holiday cheer. Winter Wrap Up! Winter Wrap Up! (Winter, winter) 'Cause tomorrow spring is here! Winter Wrap Up! Winter Wrap Up! (Winter, winter) 'Cause tomorrow spring is here. 'Cause tomorrow spring is here!

No easy task to clear the ground, plant our tiny seeds.

With proper care and sunshine. Everyone it feeds.

Apples, carrots, celery stalks. Colourful flowers too! We must work so very hard.

It's just so much to do!

Winter Wrap Up! Winter Wrap Up! Let's finish our holiday cheer! Winter Wrap Up! Winter Wrap Up! 'Cause tomorrow spring is here! Winter Wrap Up! Winter Wrap Up!
'Cause tomorrow spring is here!

'Cause tomorrow spring is here!

Now that I know what they all do, I have to find my place. And help with all of my heart. Tough task ahead I face. How will I do without my magic, help the Earth pony way? I wanna belong so I must, do my best today, do my best today!

Winter Wrap Up! Winter Wrap Up! Let's finish our holiday cheer! Winter Wrap Up! Winter Wrap Up! 'Cause tomorrow spring is here! Winter Wrap Up! Winter Wrap Up!

'Cause tomorrow spring is here. 'Cause tomorrow spring is here. 'Cause tomorrow spring is here!

Phoenix watched Twilight on the cliff for a moment before she walked back to the town before returning his attention to Applejack.

“Alright, everypony! We’ve gotta plough the fields and move all that darn snow before we can plant the seeds. Half o’ you start your ploughin’ and the rest o’ you plant the seeds in the dirt underneath.” Applejack said to the plant team who all acknowledged her instructions and dispersed. Phoenix attached himself to a plough and began to push the contraption. He was clearly having more trouble than the rest of the ploughing ponies were, due to his anatomy.

After nearly half an hour, Applejack noticed that Phoenix’s plough was moving much slower than all of the others. She was afraid something like that would happen, due to a combination of Phoenix’s lack of muscle, inexperience with manual labour and the fact that he was a unicorn. Earth Ponies biologically had the greatest physical strength and stamina of the three pony races, while Pegasi are the lightest and most aerodynamic and Unicorns had the most physical and spiritual endurance to pain. Applejack walked down from the hill she was overseeing everypony on to see how Phoenix was faring. She grimaced slightly when she saw the state Phoenix was in. He was straining to push the plough with sweat pouring down his face and his limbs were shaking as they moved. He didn’t falter, though. He continued to do the task he was given, despite his obviously painful exhaustion.

“You really don’t look so good, Phoenix.” Applejack said worriedly. Her sudden appearance seemed to startle Phoenix slightly.

“Oh, hey AJ. Didn’t see you there.” Phoenix said in between heavy pants.

“Phoenix, you look about ready to collapse. Ya need to take a break.” Applejack said very seriously with a hint of urgency.

“...Alright. I will after I finish up here.” Phoenix said before he began to try to push the plough again. Applejack then literally pulled him from the plough with her immense strength and looked at him.

“You. Break. Now.” Applejack ordered.

“Alright, alright! Bloody Earth Pony strength.” Phoenix said as he was struggling to stay on his shaky hooves.

“Damn. Ah didn’t think Unicorns were so frail.” Applejack said with a teasing smile, causing Phoenix to look at her in annoyance.

“We’re not frail! Our strength just isn’t as herculean as yours is.” Phoenix retorted causing Applejack to chuckle.

“...Phoenix, can ah ask you somethin’?” Applejack asked the drained stallion.

“Yeah? What is it?” Phoenix permitted.

“Why didn’t you use magic when ah wasn’t lookin’? Or keep goin’ as long as you did?” Applejack asked.

“Well, Unicorns have a higher tolerance of pain than the other races do, so I knew I could handle it. Besides, if I used magic to make the job easier for me, I wouldn’t be able to look into your eyes and say that I did an honest bit of work. I couldn’t do that to you.” Phoenix said as he looked into her eyes and gave a tired smile. Applejack was glad that she looked behind her to see Twilight approaching, because if she hadn’t, Phoenix would’ve seen the intense blush that covered her face.

“A-ah’m just gonna see what Twilight wants. Don’t you move from this spot.” Applejack said quickly without turning around. Phoenix gave a tired, confused expression, but complied as Applejack walked up to Twilight. They began to converse until Twilight walked to Phoenix’s discarded plough. He watched as she tried to move it with all her strength, but to no avail. Eventually, Phoenix noticed that the entire plough was encased with a bright lavender aura. Phoenix immediately knew that Twilight was going to move it with her magic. As Twilight began to set off, Phoenix slowly walked over to Applejack and Spike, due to his lack of energy.

As Twilight walked by where the three were standing, Spike noticed Twilight’s horn glowing, while Phoenix’s horn emitted its own black aura. The aura around Twilight’s plough became black instead of lavender as it came to a complete stop against Twilight’s will. She looked at the plough in confusion before looking towards Phoenix with a scowl. She stormed over to him, her expression not changing once.

“What was that all about, Phoenix?!” Twilight and Applejack said simultaneously. Phoenix ignored their question and directed his gaze at Twilight.

“Twilight, you know that using magic for Winter Wrap Up is not allowed.” Phoenix said pointedly. Twilight’s eyes became pinpricks as Applejack moved her scowl from Phoenix to Twilight.

“You used magic?!” Applejack asked angrily. Twilight had a look on her face that was a mix of fear and shame as nodded her head. Applejack began to advance on her with an angry look on her face, before Phoenix grabbed Applejack from behind, wrapping his hooves around her to stop her from getting any nearer to Twilight. Applejack noticed the hooves immediately as she felt the presence of the stallion behind her. All feelings of anger left Applejack and were replaced with immense embarrassment from feeling the stallion grab her from behind as a bright red blush completely covered her face. She pushed Phoenix off of her, but didn’t get any nearer to Twilight. Instead, she calmly inhaled and exhaled for a minute or two before turning to Twilight.

“Ah’m sorry, Twilight. Ah lost control. As long as nopony got hurt, we can all just go back to work and forget this happened.” Applejack apologised. As the day progressed, Applejack noticed that the snow and ice wasn’t melting quickly enough. She made a dash for the town, leaving Phoenix, Twilight and Spike.

“Why’d she run off like that?” Spike asked as Twilight and Phoenix stopped pushing the plough they were sharing.

“She wouldn’t have if she didn’t think it was important.” Phoenix replied.

“Maybe we should follow her.” Twilight said as she removed herself from the plough. The trio began to walk back to town, only to discover multiple ponies bickering about the problems that arose during the recent minutes. Finally the Mayor released a cry of woe and a wish for organisation. Phoenix looked over to Twilight to see her eyes shining as she told Spike to retrieve some of her organisation supplies. She then gained the attention of everypony by squeezing a small bird with her magic, making it release a shrill screech. She then made it her mission to make every team as efficient and time saving as possible. And she succeeded that mission. As time was running out, the townsponies were never plagued by that thought. They were doing their jobs to wrap up winter.

Everypony worked deep into the night, all the way to daybreak. Even Mayor Mare chipped in and did her bit. Eventually, a single thought crept into everypony’s heads that simply astounded them. Spring had arrived... on time. The Mayor confronted Twilight and congratulated her for the organisation the Twilight provided. To show Twilight the thanks she deserved on behalf of the town, she was awarded her own unique role to play in Winter Wrap Up. The All-Team Organiser. Phoenix would have picked the word ‘overseer’, but he thought that was good too.

As the crowd dispersed once again to return to their homes, most likely to either sleep or celebrate, Phoenix and the girls enjoyed one drink at Sugarcube Corner before parting. Phoenix reviewed some things that he noticed the previous day. First, Applejack and Caramel on seemingly decent terms as he saw him working on the plant team. It warmed his heart a little to see that neither of them were holding any kind of grudge. Second, how much the Mayor actually cared for the town and its inhabitants. He could see how much it pained her to see Spring coming late once again, and the joy on her face when it came on time instead. Third...

...The blush on Applejack’s face as they talked. He pretended he didn’t notice, but he did. She didn’t seem like the shy type, meaning there was mainly one thing it could mean...

...But, that just couldn’t be true.

It just made no sense.