• Published 4th Feb 2014
  • 7,158 Views, 264 Comments

Button Mash and Sweetie Belle Play Minecraft - QuilliamPenn



Button Mash and Sweetie Belle decide to play Minecraft, everything was going great, until Minecraft and its inhabitants decide to come out of the computer,

  • ...
22
 264
 7,158

Chapter 8: "Wake Up..."

Author's Note:

Despite the rather short length of this chapter.

I'm happy with how it came out.

The reason for such a delay with uploading it was because i kinda needed to graduate High School.

So yeah, here you go.

WooHoo.


As always, thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy!



Oh, and calm yourself.


This is the only chapter with this sort of emotion...It'll all be happy and sunshine and all that jazz soon enough.

Chapter 8: "Wake Up..."



A wet scraping was the first thing Button heard. Like someone dragging a wet cloth over stone and then slapping it against it.

As his eyes fluttered open, he tried to comprehend the grey, unpleasant looking scenery in front of him. It was sickeningly familiar, somehow; yet at that moment he couldn’t seem to figure out why he was there.

Why did his head hurt so badly?

He let out a pained moan and flexed his legs, finding them sore, worn and tired. His whole body ached.

Jeeze, his head hurt.

Button let out a painful cough, wincing as his throat burned and his mouth filled with specks of something vaguely metallic. He felt like this taste wasn’t a good sign, but he still wasn’t conscious enough to really process why his body was telling him this was a bad sign.

He blinked his eyes a few times, trying to clear his vision as he rolled over onto his stomach and tried to push himself up. The effort it took to roll over in and of itself was a struggle, so standing up felt almost impossible.

Button winced in pain and collapsed back onto his stomach, coughing again and doing so with enough force, he could hear the fluid fly out and splatter onto the cold, unpleasant ground.

He managed to focus his vision enough that he could process what it was he was coughing up.

Blood.

Suddenly everything came flooding back in, like a tidal wave of memory and information he had gathered and experienced in the time he had been in this wretched place.

The game, the monsters, his house, the strange mob behavior, and most importantly, Sweetie Belle.

“Sweetie Belle!” Button cried weakly; but frantically, finding the words stinging his throat a bit as they came out and sending him into another fit of unpleasant coughing.

No response.

“Come on Button…” He hissed to himself, trying desperately to push himself upright for the second time.
He had to get up, he had to. He had to make sure Sweetie Belle was ok; he had to make sure he got her out of here alive. He wouldn’t ever forgive himself if she…

No, that wouldn’t happen.

She was alive, she had to be. Sweetie Belle was tough, she’d be fine; wherever she was.

“Sweetie Belle!” He croaked again, managing to shakily keep himself upright as he looked around the cavern that had once been his living room. The large spire of rock in the center of the room still stood strong, dotted with ores here and there and dominating the cave.

No response, again.

Button winced as he brought a hoof up to his head, rubbing it gently as his vision began to focus and he caught sight of the blood on the floor. It wasn’t his, and it wasn’t Sweetie Belle’s either. No, it was almost…gooey looking. Black and thick, like you would expect from a-

“The Zombie-pony!” Button whispered to himself; spinning around and almost falling over in the process.

He wasn’t sure if he should let out a sigh of relief, or a cry of horror at what he saw.

There, only about six blocks away, was the Zombie-Pony.

The monster had fallen over when Button had rammed it. It hit its neck on the corner of a stone block as it toppled and apparently snapped its neck. The zombie-pony’s rotting body laid motionless, leaking thick, black blood from its wounds and Button’s sword still impaled through its neck. The head however, was very lively. It lifted and smacked against the ground in frustration, letting out only breathy gurgles due to the fact it was missing its lower jaw.

It didn’t even seem to notice Button. In fact, it actually seemed to focus its attention on something.

It was Sweetie Belle.

Lying motionless on the ground, up against the stone wall of the cavern, was Sweetie Belle. Her mane looked like a dirty mop as opposed to its usual, clean, almost fancy style. Her normally white coat was blackened and tarnished, covered in mud, dirt and grime. Her eyes were shut tight and her jaw slackened.

Button couldn’t tell if she was alive or not.

Whatever was happening with this game, whatever the reason was that things were becoming so strange…he couldn’t help but feel utterly horrified at the thought of a chance at respawn being totally eradicated.

If Sweetie Belle was dead, she should have respawned, right?

The zombie-pony let out a quiet, breathy snarl, slapping its head against the ground as it desperately tried to get at Sweetie Belle; and continually bashing its rotting flesh all over the floor in the process.

“G-get away!” Button groaned, gritting his teeth and limping over to the zombie-pony with the most evil of intent in his eyes.

The undead equine paid him no mind, only continuing to fruitlessly try and get at Sweetie Belle with single-minded determination.

Silent as the grave, Button limped over to the rotting monster in front of him, stopping for a moment and looking down at his enemy with a look that redefined the word ‘Loathing’. Without any hesitation, he grabbed onto the hilt of the sword with his hoof and pulled, putting his entire body weight into his task to retrieve his sword.

As would be expected, this got the zombie-pony’s attention.

It let out an airy growl and turned its milky-white eyes over to Button, glaring at him with a look that was almost akin to surprise, like it wasn’t expecting him to be there, or even like it was…scared.

Yet, Button paid this no mind.

“Try to eat Sweetie Belle…” He said through gritted teeth, jerking the undead equine’s entire body as he yanked at the sword a bit more.

“Try to eat me…” He growled; yanking on the sword again and this time managing to pull it out a bit; to which the zombie pony was only able to let out a breathy hiss and slap its head against the stone floor like a fish.

“I…don’t…think so!” He cried, giving the sword one last yank and finally freeing it from the corpse it had been imbedded in. Droplets of thick blood flew off the blade as Button fell backwards and a small pool of it formed beneath the hole in the undead equine’s neck.

Button let out a pained groan as he fell back onto the cold stone floor, the sound of his sword clattering onto the ground echoing throughout the cavern for a moment before all was silent yet again, all except the slapping of the undead monster a few blocks away.

He laid there for a moment, staring up at the ceiling and trying to regain the least bit of composure, and then slowly rolled over to his side, grabbing the sword in one hoof and jabbing the tip into the stone, using it to help push himself up and then turn to face his hated enemy.

Gritting his teeth and blocking out the pounding in his head, Button limped over within one block of the rotting monster on the ground. Its eyes were wild and the airy gurgles were more frantic. Milky eyes darted around worriedly and it was almost like it was breathing heavier.

This…monster…it was scared.

“You shouldn’t have tried to eat my friend…” Button said darkly, gripping the sword in his hoof and resting the tip against the zombie pony’s head; to which at slapped it’s head on the ground a bit more frantically.

It didn’t take much to penetrate the rotting flesh and decayed bone.

Metal cut through the bone with ease, sliding through the brain, and then out the other side and hitting the stone on the floor. The zombie-pony convulsed, briefly, and then went motionless; thick blood pooling around its head and its eyes ceasing to move any more.

Button glared down at its eyes, those milky-white, terrifying eyes. He had done it…he won.

Yet he didn’t feel like celebrating it.

That monster, it had been scared…video game monsters didn’t get scared, they didn’t have actual emotion.

Real, intelligent beings got scared.

So many different emotions were rushing around in his head like motorcars, all at once, Hatred, joy, pain, sadness, frustration and confusion. Button didn’t know what to think, but right now all he could think of, the one thing that yet again would rise above all other thoughts in his mind.

Was Sweetie Belle.

Leaving his sword lodged in the corpse of the zombie-pony, Button turned and limped over to where Sweetie Belle laid, finding himself on the brink of tears as he limped closer and closer. Her battered and beaten form almost too much for his already near-broken mind to handle.

She looked so…still.

“Come on, Sweetie Belle…” He said shakily, fighting back a complete breakdown as he sat on his haunches near her limp form.

He couldn’t stop himself from shaking; his whole body quivered as he moved over and rested his back against the stone wall, gently reaching a hoof over to stroke the dirty mane of his beloved friend.

“Wake up, Sweetie Belle…” He breathed shakily; slowly losing the battle to fight back tears.

She didn’t react in the slightest as Button moved himself over and lifted her head up, resting it on his leg as he began stroking her mane.

He had always liked her mane.

“Come on…Y-you’re alright…” He whispered to her, finding his words feeling less and less like fact and more and more like he was trying to reassure himself.

“Y-you’ve got to wake up now…don’t you want to get out of here?” He whimpered so softly it was barely audible; feeling the tears begin to well up in his eyes and threaten to pour forward.

“Y-you…You have to…” He couldn’t say anymore, the pain was too much, the sight of her so motionless, so beaten and battered…his mind couldn’t take anymore.

And thus, the only sound was the silent sobs of an eight year old colt, in the middle of a cave, holding his motionless friend in his hooves.

“I-I tried so hard…” He whispered through his teeth, clenching his eyes shut and hanging his head over his friend; a steady stream of tears, rolling down his cheeks and falling onto that of his friend, washing away the dirt and grime everywhere the small droplet hit.
“I tried so hard to protect you…” He sobbed quietly, eyes still clenched shut.

He hadn’t ever felt so crushed. This feeling was awful. His stomach churned and he felt like he wanted to throw up, he wanted to curl up in a ball and just cry, to forget about the world. He wanted to be home, to see his mom and his other friends. He wanted to go and throw whoever invented this wretched game under a bus…but most of all, He wanted his friend back, he wanted to hear her laugh, her voice, her silly jokes, her occasional dorky moment…he wanted Sweetie Belle back.

“Please don’t die, Sweetie Belle…” He whispered, bringing her limp form up and holding her to his chest, sobbing into her neck and letting out his muffled sobs.

“Don’t die…Y-you can’t…You can’t die.” He sobbed, burying his muzzle into her shoulder and just letting it all out. This was it, this was his breaking point.

He could handle zombies; he could handle Endermares and explosions and mutating creepers and carnivorous slimes…but not this. He couldn’t cope with this. Everything seemed hopeless now, his friend was gone. He had devoted himself so wholly to protecting her, and for what?

So he could fail.

He had failed her.

“I’m so sorry…” He whispered; eyes clenched shut as he shakily sobbed, his entire tiny body quivering.

It all came out.

The anger, the sadness, the confusion, the hatred for this place.

All of it.

“You can’t die…Y-you just can’t!” He cried out angrily, slamming his hoof against the stone wall and sending sharp pain through his entire front leg; which only made him cry more.

“This isn’t fair…” He cried softly, his muzzle still buried into her shoulder. “I-it isn’t fair! Why do you have to…die…I-I don’t understand!”

Slowly, Button opened his eyes. His cheeks stung and his vision was wet and blurry. Sweetie Belle’s neck was soaked in tears and her eyes shut tight. Her jaw hanging slack in the slightest as he clutched her to his chest.

“I’m so sorry…” He whispered softly, looking her face over and bringing a hoof down to gently stroke her mane.

“I-I promised I would keep you safe…and I didn’t…”

The most miraculous thing happened just then. Without warning or previous alert, out of nowhere and at the most unexpected time. As miracles sometimes are, it was unceremonious. There hadn’t been a speech leading up to it, or a kiss, or some unspoken words finally spoken.

A miracle just…happened.

Sweetie Belle, whimpered.