• Published 4th Feb 2014
  • 7,136 Views, 264 Comments

Button Mash and Sweetie Belle Play Minecraft - QuilliamPenn



Button Mash and Sweetie Belle decide to play Minecraft, everything was going great, until Minecraft and its inhabitants decide to come out of the computer,

  • ...
21
 264
 7,136

Chapter 2: Zombies and Skeletons and Endermares Oh My!

Author's Note:

Ok, so wow.

This got a lot of positive response a LOT faster than I had anticipated.

It's very exciting :3

It's very encouraging to know so many people like my story! It makes it even more fun to write !

I hope you all enjoy this chapter, and thank you for reading!

Chapter 2: Zombies and Skeletons and Endermares Oh My!



“S-sweetie Belle…” Button said in a shaky, hushed voice, holding a trembling hoof up to point at the large, green zombie-pony now creeping up behind Sweetie Belle.

Sweetie seemed to pick up on his emotions, and instantly managed to figure out for herself exactly what was creeping up behind her. She turned and recoiled in fear, eyes wide at the zombie-pony. It was about as tall as a normal pony, but considering how short she and Button were, it looked rather large from their point of view.

It was a deep green, mane colored different shades of brown, as if faded. Upon meeting Sweetie Belle’s gaze with its own milky eyes, it groaned unpleasantly and continued shuffling forward.

“I-I really like your…mane?” Sweetie Belle squeaked, as if compliments would stop the monstrosity heading slowly for her.

Button realized what was about to happen and began frantically searching for something to use as a weapon, but alas, everything had been turned into blocks…how was he supposed to use blocks to fight an undead equine? On top of that, he wasn’t even sure what would happen if he tried to dig up a block!

“Sweetie Belle, RUN!” He cried, running over to her with the intention of head butting her out of the way of their undead assailant.

However he was too late, the zombie reached the small white filly and swung its head, it impacted on Sweetie Belle and she let out an unpleasant cry and flashed red for a moment.

Wait what.

Button stared in bewilderment at Sweetie Belle for a moment, and through her shock she too realized she had just flashed red, and upon being hit, the sound of damage being taken was heard.

This just got weirder and weirder…

“RUN!” Button cried again, and this time Sweetie Belle obeyed, she righted herself and scrambled away from the zombie-pony, running around to the other side of the tree, until it would find her, and then she would run around to the other side, and it would find her again, and it went on like this for a few seconds before the zombie-pony got tired of it and spotted Button Mash.

He could have sworn he saw it smirk a bit, before it groaned and started shuffling towards him, eager to do…whatever it did to Sweetie Belle, to him.

“That’s not good…” He whimpered, scrambling backwards as fast as he could, eyes locked on those of the undead equine.

His scrambling was short-lived however, as his backside soon met the grassy wall with a “Crunch!”

Button frantically looked behind him, as if to confirm there was indeed a wall there. Oh Celestia, he didn’t want to die here, not like this, not at the hooves of some stinky, nasty, video-game-made-real zombie-pony!

He tried his best to press himself farther against the wall, as if it would help him escape his inevitable fate, however in the process he smacked a hoof against the grass wall and was rewarded by a familiar noise.

The sound of digging.

Button turned his attention from the zombie for a split second, and hit the wall again with his hoof. Small pixilated cracks ran through the form of the block before disappearing and being replaced with the previous pixels.

“Wait…I can-“

“YOU GET AWAY FROM BUTTON!” Came the shrieking voice of Sweetie Belle, seemingly out of nowhere she flew into action, dealing out a loud, ringing “CLONG!” To the zombie-pony’s head with what appeared to be…and Iron Shovel? Where did she get that from?

The zombie-pony let out a groan of pain and stumbled back, flashing red for a moment as the damage was dealt. It groaned quizzically and went wall-eyed for a second before shaking its head and re-focusing on Sweetie Belle, totally forgetting about Button Mash.”Uh…B-button!” Sweetie Belle whimpered, holding the pixilated shovel with her magic.

“RUN!” Button cried, grabbing Sweetie Belle with a hoof and hauling her behind him, she let out a yelp and ran behind him, going as fast as her little hooves would carry her tiny figure.

“BUTTON MASH IF I GET EATEN RARITY’S GOING TO KILL US BOTH!” She shrieked in horror, looking back to see the Undead Equine shambling after them with increasing speed.

“JUST RUN!” He cried back, running through the kitchen doorway and into the hall, only to let out another scream and nearly slide off of the edge of what was now a large, deep ravine.

“W-what…”

All that was left of his hallway was a two block wide path that stuck out from the wall, everything else was ravine, on the far side of the wall, there were ore veins, still generating, and at the bottom of the ravine; about 30 blocks down, was nothing but hot, bubbling, lava. The sound of it popping and broiling reaching his ears before he actually saw it.

Sweetie Belle however, did not spot the ravine as quick as Button had, and in her attempt to stop, she only slid past him.
Right off the edge.

“SWEETIE BELLE!” Button cried, sticking out a hoof and just barely clasping it around the trembling hoof of his now dangling friend.
She looked up at him with a look of confusion as to why she was currently dangling over any sort of ledge at all.

“BUTTON MASH YOU BETTER NOT LET ME DIE!” She shrieked, looking down at the pit of lava far beneath her and beginning to flail like a fish on a hook as the realization of where she was began to set in.

“I’m trying not to!” He said with a strain, slowly pulling Sweetie Belle up with all his might, she was heavier than she looked; best not say that however, lest he wanted a hoof to the face.

A few seconds later, Button was able to pull his companion up next to him on the ledge, where she instantly slammed herself against the stone wall and slumped down, breathing heavily and looking down at the ravine with wide eyes.

“W-where did that even…” Was all she managed to say.

“I’m…not…sure…” He panted, eyes widening just as he realized he had forgotten something.

Where was the zombie-pony?

Sweetie Belle had the answer, as evident by the shriek she let out upon spotting the zombie-pony creeping through the doorway into the ravine-hallway, looking to the side and locating its prey, an evil grin coming across its rotting lips as it shambled closer and closer.

Button flipped around just as the zombie-pony swung its head, he flashed red and the familiar sound of damage being taken was hear, the knockback nearly pushed him off the ledge, and one more hit would have sent him plummeting to a fiery end.

Unfortunately for the zombie, that is how it met its fiery and boiling hot end.

Button swung his hoof and hoped for the best. The zombie-pony groaned in displeasure and flashed red, the knockback from the hit pushed it over the ledge and tumbling down to a burning grave, it groaned just before hitting the lava, pixilated fire enveloping its body as it rapidly flashed red from the damage, two seconds later it keeled sideways into the lava and was no more.

Button and Sweetie Belle both stared down at where the zombie had previously been, now only lava in its place, neither of them were sure what to make of this, or anything that had happened in the five minutes it had taken for Minecraft to successfully invade the house.

Button sighed and slumped against the wall, the only light in the hallway now that produced by the lava in the bottom of the ravine; the blocks had finished generating and successfully eliminated all lights in his house. The lava cast its dim glow onto the ceiling and spread out faintly.

“Button…w-what’s going on…?” Sweetie Belle squeaked, her eyes wide and startled looking.

“I-I…I don’t really-“

Button was interrupted by the sound of an arrow zipping just by his nose; he cried out a jumped back against the wall, Sweetie Belle did the same as the arrow flew past button and a few inches from her face.

The all-too familiar sound of clinking bones came from the other end of the hallway, a moment later, out stepped a Skeleton-pony, it was a unicorn and just like in the game, it was using its magic to hold the bow, already notching another arrow from its unlimited supply, to fire at them.

“I am so tired of being cut off by these guys…” He groaned to himself, turning and looking at the terrified form of Sweetie Belle.

“We should run.” He deadpanned.

The chase that ensued was anything but pleasant.

Button and Sweetie Belle made their way down the hall as fast as they deemed safely possible, not wanting to fall into the lava, yet also trying to avoid the Skeleton-pony now firing at them, arrow after arrow whizzed by their heads, just barely missing them. They both skidded to a halt just as the ledge sticking out from the wall ended, only empty ravine taking its place. Button could see his living room from here, and the staircase was on the other side of the ravine, maybe if he got up to his room they’d be safe from this nightmarish occurrence.

The ravine wasn’t too wide, only three blocks, they could make that! Hopefully…

“Sweetie Belle, you gotta jump!” He cried, looking frantically back at the Skeleton-pony that was busy notching another arrow.

“WHAT! Button are you crazy, I’m not gonna jump over THAT!” She jabbed a hoof forcefully at the death-pit, looking at him like he was an idiot for even thinking about jumping over.

“It’s only three blocks! You can make it!” He cried is response, just barely ducking under an arrow as it whizzed by his head, clipping a few hairs from his mane.

“Nhh….” Sweetie Belle let out an unsettled whine, gaze flicking between Button, the ravine, and the Skeleton-pony currently reloading.

“You got this Sweetie Belle, you got this, you can do this…yeah…you totally got this…” She told herself, trying to psych herself up for the jump.

Another arrow whizzed by, narrowly missing Button mash and sailing downwards in an arc, into the bubbling lava.

“SWEETIE BELLE!” Button screamed, tired of getting shot at.

With a horrified scream, Sweetie Belle forced herself to jump off the ledge, she sailed through the air with anything but grace, flailing wildly for something to grab hold of, and a moment later she landed safely on the other side of the ledge looking around wildly as if to make sure she was still alive.

“H-ha…I…I’m alive!” She said gleefully.

Button waited for the Skeleton to fire once again narrowly dodging the arrow; good thing Skeleton-ponies had crappy aim.
Without taking near as much time to psych himself up, Button leapt across the gap, he was sure he would make it across without trouble.

He was wrong.

Mid-flight he felt something hit his flank and he flashed red, the knockback sending him on a diagonal flight path, he hit the edge of the ledge and latched on tight with his hooves, back legs now flailing like mad as he tried to pull himself up.

“Sweetie Belle, help!” He whined, failing to pull himself up.

“Sweetie Belle to the rescue!” She cried heroically, trotting over to where Button was dangling and holding out her iron shovel, clutching the handle in her teeth as button wrapped a hoof around the shovel end, allowing himself to be pulled up and safely onto the ledge opposite the Skeleton-pony.

“T-thanks…”He breathed shakily, a bit shell-shocked from what had just happened.

Sweetie Belle didn’t have time to respond, due to an arrow implanting itself in the stone wall just next to Button’s head, to which both small ponies cried out and backed away.

“T-this way!” Button called, scrambling to his hooves and frantically motioning for Sweetie Belle to follow him towards the front door. Sweetie Belle nodded and took off after him, another arrow implanting itself above her head as she did.

Dang, these Skeleton-ponies had worse aim than Stormtroopers.

Button slowed down a bit as they got out of range of the Skeleton-pony, his front door now only a few blocks away. The Skeleton-pony silently glared at them from the edge of the ravine, unable to shoot at them from this range as its arrows just arced downwards and into the lava.

They both sat in silence, glaring at the Skeleton-pony, who glared back with empty eyes.

And the Sweetie Belle screamed…again.

“BUTTONMASHYOUHAVEANARROWINYOURBUTTOHMYGOSH!” She shrieked, jumping back and flailing her hooves frantically, as if that would help.

Button brought his gaze down to his flank, and indeed, a blocky arrow was imbedded in his rump, that must have been what hit him mid-leap.

Then he started screaming.

“OHMYGOSHSWEETIEBELLEPULLITOUTOFME!” He fell over to his side and clutched his rump, the arrow didn’t hurt, but still, there was a large, foreign object protruding from his brown behind, and that wasn't exactly a good day.

“WHAT! I’m not going to touch it!” She protested, motioning with her hoof at the arrow.

“Well, I’m not pulling it out!” He replied, shaking a hoof at the arrow.

“But you have to! It could get infected or…something.” Sweetie Belle raised an eyebrow as she began to ponder if one could get an infection from a digital arrow in the rump.

“Can you just-“

Button stopped mid-sentence as the arrow suddenly poofed and disappeared in a thin plume of smoke, leaving behind unhurt and unscarred booty flesh.

“Oh.”

“Is that…normal…?” Sweetie Belle asked, trotting over and poking at his butt with a hoof.

Button’s face instantly turned red and he jumped up off the ground and turned his butt as far away from her as possible.

“D-don’t be touching my flank! That’s weird!” He protested, face almost as red as the lava below them.

“I was just looking…”Sweetie Belle said with a nonchalant shrug.

Button said nothing, simply staring at her for a moment before turning his gaze to the door. “W-we should probably go…” He said.

“Oh! Yeah, good idea.” Sweetie Belled scrambled over to the door, and Button turned his gaze back to the Skeleton-pony still glaring at him with hollow eye-sockets.

“Uh…B-button…?” Sweetie Belle whimpered from behind him, her tone sounding defeated and like they she just discovered their problem had gotten bigger.

“Huh?” He tore his eyes from the Skeleton-pony and turned back to her, only to find her staring at the open door with a blank look, he couldn’t see what she was looking at due to where he was sitting, but whatever it was he didn’t think it would be good.

Turns out he was right, it wasn't good.

“No…this is bad…this is very, very, very bad!” Button began to get Hysterical, tugging at his mane with his hooves as he sat on his flank.
Behind the wooden door that had replaced his previous door, was not a breeze wafting in from outside, or snowflakes drifting down from the winter sky, it wasn’t even his patio.

It was bedrock.

Button felt himself losing it, his eye twitched and a few hairs popped out of their place on his head, giving him a rather…”touched” look.

“Button…are you ok?” Sweetie Belle asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

“T-that’s bedrock…” He said with a slightly insane chuckle.

“So…?”

“Bedrock…is unbreakable, Sweetie Belle.”

Sweetie Belle processed this for a moment, then when it finally hit, her eyes widened in horror.

“Unbreakable! B-but, how are we going to get out of here?” She cried, becoming more and more hysterical by the second.
Instead of Button responding, another voice came.

A voice indescribable to anyone who hadn’t played Minecraft, a voice that’s owner instilled fear and dread, as it would gaze upon them with piercing purple eyes. Button, of course, knew never, ever to look and Endermare in the eye, that if one did so the Endermare would hunt them relentlessly.

Sweetie Belle, did not know this.

So there was nothing Button Mash could do as he watched her; almost in slow motion, look over into the living-room-turned-cave, and into the purple eyes of an Endermare.

A chill ran down Sweetie’s spine and she trembled lightly, staring back into the gaze of the beast as it met her gaze in response, neither one of them looking away from each other. Staring into one another’s souls.

Button opened his mouth to warn Sweetie, to tell her not to look away, but the words he managed to utter only drew her attention over to him, breaking the stare.

“Sweetie Belle…don’t-“

“Huh?” She turned and looked at him, as if coming out of a trance.

There was a sudden and growing noise, an unearthly and terrible growl that grew until it was all they could hear. The Endermare’s jaw opened unnaturally wide, stretching down and bearing it’s sporadically placed teeth, a purple tongue writhing about in its midnight black mouth.

Time to run...again.

“Run!” Button grabbed Sweetie Belle by her front leg and lead her over to the staircase as fast as he could, the Endermare right on their heels, still growling and snarling unnaturally.

Button slammed into the wall to stop himself and then turned to make his way up the stairs, dragging Sweetie Belle close behind; who was only screaming once again in horror.

“NEVER LOOK AT AN ENDERMARE!” He cried, frustrated with how much they had been running recently. This entire situation was insane, first Minecraft decides to spew out of the computer, then they get chased by a zombie-pony, then a Skeleton-Pony, and THEN they find out they are trapped in the house, and as if that wasn’t enough, one of the most horrifying creatures in Minecraft was now hot on their heels. Would they ever catch a break?

It could be worse though; at least there weren’t Creepers…yet.

“Button, where are we going?” Sweetie Belle cried, just before letting out another scream as the Endermare swung a long, black foreleg at her and missing by a hair.

“My room…I hope!” He replied, seeing the Endermare attack out of the corner of his eye.

If this was anything like actual Minecraft; and so far it appeared to be, Button couldn’t let Sweetie get hit by the Endermare. They did massive amounts of damage and Sweetie had already taken damage from the zombie earlier.

The way Button saw it, if they flashed red when they got hit, and so did their enemies. They must have an unseen health bar which meant they could only take so much of a beating before they made like a mob, keeled over and went “poof.” Of course this was just a theory, but with everything that was happening, having an unseen health bar wouldn’t be the craziest thing to happen that day.

Button spotted the door to his bedroom, whizzing past his mom and dad’s room and barely catching a glimpse of what it had become.

His parents bedroom was now a dungeon, a mob dungeon to be exact, the walls and floor were made entirely out of cobble and mossy cobble. Exactly what kind of spawner room it was was soon made apparent by the trio of Spiders that poofed out of the air and landed on the ground, looking around and inspecting their new surroundings as he ran by.

Sweetie Belle screamed again, now clinging to Button’s back as the Endermare swung a second time, nearly hitting them both with its long limbs.

He had to protect Sweetie Belle, he knew the most about this darn game, and it was now his job to protect her!

“Don’t worry Sweetie Belle, I’m gonna get us out of this!” Or so he hoped.

There was the door, now only a few blocks away.

There was no way he would be able to open it and keep Sweetie Belle from taking damage, he couldn’t do it in time, and he knew that.
The Endermare wouldn’t fit through the door, and he could only pray that it wouldn’t be able to teleport inside, but he had to do all he could in that moment to save Sweetie Belle.

And so he stopped.

Button stopped so abruptly that it launched Sweetie Belle towards the door. She let out a scream as she flew, plopping safely on the grass that had grown around the door.

The Endermare took a trip of its own as well, unable to properly adjust its course in time, it tripped over Button and toppled down to the ground, smacking its short muzzle and briefly flashing red.

So they could trip then, that wasn’t normal in Minecraft.

“BUTTON!” Sweetie cried out, only realizing what had just happen after righting herself and gazing upon the Endermare now righting itself in a way that could be described as anything but graceful or smooth.

Button looked at the Endermare currently struggling to get up, with a look of determination, and swung his hoof hard at it, the swing landing on its shiny black rump and making its entire form blink red from the damage.

The Endermare let out a gurgle of confusion, surprise and annoyance. Its purple eyes widened at the smack and it suddenly seemed to regain composure, righting itself and glaring down at Button Mash for a moment before swinging its hoof at him, hard.

It hit him and he went flying over in Sweetie Belle’s direction, she let out a yelp as she was hit and fell back.

Button groaned and sat up, rubbing his head and trying to shake himself out of the daze he was now in, everything was spinning and it felt like his whole body was pulsing softly, almost like a warning…

The next thing he knew, Button had been yanked to the side and was suddenly in a different world.

Instead of the previous dim, stone covered walls of his hallway-cave, he was now sitting on pleasant green grass blocks, patches of grass and flowers swaying gently in a nonexistent breeze, there were still walls around him, but they were made of dirt and grass blocks, a tree sat in the corner of the room and there was a small 2x2 pond in another corner, The sun seemed to shine from out of nowhere and it felt just like he was outside.

Button was just beginning to wonder if he had died, and maybe this was like…Minecraft heaven, but the sound of a door slamming shut behind him soon smashed that theory to pieces.

“Button, are you ok?” Sweetie Belle’s voice hit his ears, and he felt a hoof grab his shoulder and turn him around. Sweetie Belle was staring into his eyes with a look of worry and concern.

“I-I…I’m fine…” He shook his head a bit and tried to clear it, the pulsing feeling slowly fading away.

Sweetie Belle looked anything but convinced, said look didn’t last however. Instead it changed from concerned to annoyance.

“What do you think you’re doing? You almost got smashed into Button bits!” She exclaimed, scolding Button like a mother would her child.

“I saved you…didn’t I?” He said blandly, rubbing his head and trying to will away the pulsing feeling.

Sweetie Belle looked a bit taken back; her cheeks a soft red, she didn’t look annoyed anymore, if anything she looked surprised.
“Y-you…did that for me?” She asked softly.

The realization of what he had previously said hit Button at that moment; he shot up and looked at Sweetie Belle with a blush that matched hers.

“J-just because I don’t know if…uh…if we’ll respawn or anything!” He protested, feeling embarrassed all of a sudden.

Sweetie Belle seemed to pick up on this little moment as well, and her expression of annoyance returned to her face; albeit it was a tad forced.

“W-well don’t so stupid stuff like that! You play this game a lot and if you die I’m in a bad spot!” She said with a stomp of her hoof.
They both stared at the ground for a while. Button felt the pulsing start to fade away completely and then stop all together, only then standing up to look around.

“Where are we…?” Sweetie Belle asked, she herself now observing their new surroundings.

“I think…this is my room…” As Button finished, a horrible thought hit his stomach, made it churn and roll. He zipped over to where one of his most precious possessions should have been.

His gaming console.

Where a gaming console once sat, there was now only coal ore. It seemed to glare back at Button mockingly, as if overjoyed it had taken away his video games.

Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes and watched as her companion mourned over his lost video game collection.

This was going to be a very long day.