• Published 4th Feb 2014
  • 7,143 Views, 264 Comments

Button Mash and Sweetie Belle Play Minecraft - QuilliamPenn



Button Mash and Sweetie Belle decide to play Minecraft, everything was going great, until Minecraft and its inhabitants decide to come out of the computer,

  • ...
21
 264
 7,143

Chapter 3: Taking Inventory

Chapter 3: Taking Inventory



“I am in so much trouble…” Button Mash groaned, burying his muzzle into a grass block that had been a toy chest at one point, the sound of spiders chittering and communicating heard loud and clear through the wall between his room and that of his parents.

“Pretty much, yeah.” Sweetie Belle deadpanned, flicking the tip of her hoof at the 4 x 4 pool of the water that was sitting where Buttons rug used to be, before all this craziness had happened.

“This is…so crazy…” He groaned, falling back onto the grass-floor and sighing, staring up into a sky that was actually a ceiling; as they had discovered after trying to climb over the dirt walls, only to smack their heads on an invisible barrier.

They had to get out of this…but how?

Never in his life had Button ever encountered such a staggeringly large problem, he couldn’t just go to his parents, they weren’t here. On top of that, would they even be able to get in the house? There was supposedly bedrock blocking any way out of the house, and if you mined a few blocks into the wall, you would hit bedrock just like at the doors, so obviously it encompassed the entirety of the house.

No, he couldn’t turn to his parents; he had to do this on his own. Not because he wanted to, but because he had no other choice; well, other than Sweetie Belle, but she really hadn’t much help for anything other than screaming and then screaming some more, followed by, you guessed it, more screaming.

Well…she had saved him from a zombie-pony, but he could have dealt with that on his own; or at least that’s what he told himself.

“So are we just sitting here until we die, or…?” Sweetie Belle’s voice cut into his thoughts like a knife, she sounded rather nonchalant about the whole situation.

“No! I’m not gonna die in here! Just, gimme a second…I need to think.” He weakly waved a hoof around in a dismissive manner, trying to think about where he would even begin formulating a plan.

“Whatever…” Sweetie Belle sighed.

Button watched her trot over to a tree before closing his eyes once again.

So far, everything seemed pretty close to Minecraft. The mobs, the lava, the trees, even the grass blocks and the noises they made when they walked, the damage; granted, mobs being able to trip over things was new, but that sort of thing was to be expected in such an unorthodox situation.

As intriguing as this all was, he still wasn’t any closer to figuring out a way to fix this staggeringly massive problem.

And his mom.

Oh, Celestia, help him when his mother came home to this mess, An Enderherd might be less scary.

Button let out a frustrated groan and smacked the ground with a hoof; the sickeningly familiar sound of a block being dug reached his ears for a moment, before fading away into the only other audible sound; the spiders chittering amongst one another in his parent’s room.

That was another thing, they couldn’t even get out of his room, it was at the end of the hallway and he had to go past his parents room to get anywhere; he was sure his mom did that on purpose so he wouldn’t raid the fridge at night, One time, one time he had gotten up and drank two dozen cartons of Apple Juice.

He had been really, really thirsty.

But he wouldn’t ever taste Apple Juice again if they didn’t fix their problem, soon.

The sound of wood being punched hit his ears, at first he didn’t think much of it, it seemed totally normal in this crazy house, he perked his ears up and scanned the room, finding Sweetie Belle the culprit of the noise.

Away she punched, hitting the bottom-most log of one of the two trees growing up in what had been the corner of the room where Button’s toys had been stored.

Sweetie Belle didn’t even appear to be really thinking about it, she was simply leaning her head up against the tree and kicking the bottom log with her hoof idly, not doing so fast enough that it would eventually knock it out of place so it could be picked up.

“Wait…” He said softly, unintentionally drawing Sweetie Belle’s attention. She looked over at him with perked up ears, unsure if she had heard him say something.

“Huh?”

Button said nothing; he only righted himself and briskly trotted over to his friend, looking at her for a moment before turning is gaze to the tree.

“Sweetie Belle…?” He said slowly, gaze still locked on the tree.

“Uh…y-yeah?” She replied, eyebrow raised in curiosity as to what Button was thinking; it was obvious that he was thinking because when he did get into a “deep thought” mode he would get this weird look that made Sweetie Belle feel strange, it wasn’t like…a bad feeling, but she wasn’t sure what to think of it.

Into the “Button Being Button” folder it went.

“Earlier…when you hit that zombie-pony, where did you get the shovel?”

“Oh!” Sweetie Belle smiled and stood up a bit straighter, looking a bit proud of herself. “I just thought about how I wished I had my shovel to hit the zombie-pony, like in the game, and then it was just kinda…there.” Her look of pride turned to one of confusion as she tried to decipher her own words.

“What, really?” Button looked over at her with a look of surprise, could it really have been that easy? He began to wonder if they had been given a sort of Creative mode…maybe if he could just…

-------------

Sweetie Belle watched Button’s pained expression; he had been going at this for about a minute now and hadn’t told her what he was doing.

This face wasn’t like the last one; it was weird, plain and simple. He was all strained and looked like he had gotten into fiber-pills or something like that; Sweetie Belle knew what fiber-pills were after thinking they were candy a few months ago.

Rarity had said something along the lines of. “Too many more of those and it would have been like a freight train trying to get through a drinking straw…”

Sweetie Belle had no idea what she was talking about, but she hadn’t really dwelt on it…Rarity could be weird sometimes.

“Button…you uh, mind telling me what you’re doing?” She asked slowly, just slightly worried about her friend.

“I’m…trying…to…summon…a…diamond…sword…”He strained, apparently deciding to finally respond.

“Uh…what?”

Button groaned and collapsed on the ground, wearing a look of defeat and exhaustion.

“I…don’t understand.” She said.

“You said, you just thought about that iron shovel…right? Then it appeared?” He panted, slowly pushing himself up off the grass-floor.

“Yeah…but, I already had one in the game…so I thought that if maybe everything else is coming out of the game, maybe my stuff did too.”

Wait what.

How had he not thought of that, that maybe only the stuff you had in the game at the time would be transferred into the real world. Oh sweet Celestia, instead he had just sat here for who knows how long and made a fool of himself in front of Sweetie Belle.
Good job Button.

“Well…I wasn’t playing Minecraft when this all happened…so you’re gonna be the one to have stuff in your…er…inventory.” Button said, trying not to dwell on his previous embarrassing blunder.

“Well, let’s see...what did I have in my inventory…” Sweetie Belle inquired of herself, seeming to think about this for a moment, before a look of surprise appeared on her face.

“B-button! I can see it!” She exclaimed suddenly, to which Button raised a confused eyebrow.

“You can see what…?”

“My inventory!”

“What! How?”

Sweetie Belle was silent for a moment, her eyes scanning side to side as if she were reading an invisible book, the look of sheer wonder she wore was unlike anything Button had ever seen.

“It’s like…I opened my inventory in the game, on the computer! I can see all my stuff! But… I don’t think I can move when I have it open.” She frowned, eyes still scanning an inventory Button couldn’t see.

Button wasn’t surprised Sweetie Belle couldn’t move; you couldn’t move with your inventory open in the game, so why would it be any different here? After all, all that had happened was Minecraft had poured out of the computer and transformed his house into a nightmare.

So weird stuff had kinda become not so weird lately.

“Well, what do you have? Is there anything we can use?”

“Ah! I was hoping I had these!” Sweetie Belle exclaimed, not really listening to Button.

Sweetie seemed to shake a bit and relax, she blinked her eyes and shook her head a bit as if to get her bearings, and then suddenly two torches materialized out of the air beside her head and landed on the ground, hovering a few inches up and rotating slowly.

“Sweetie Belle…it’s daytime in here, how are torches going to be any help?” Button said with a sigh, facehoofing at how much of a newbie Sweetie Belle was at this game.

“Well, we can use them to burn the monsters!” She said happily, looking rather proud for formulating this idea.

Button facehoofed harder.

“Sweetie Belle…you can’t burn monsters with torches…”

She raised an eyebrow at him, looking at him like he was some sort of mad-pony. “What do you mean we can’t burn them? It’s fire!”

“You can’t light things on fire with a torch…” He deadpanned, staring at her with hooded eyes.

“That makes no sense…this game makes no sense, at all.” She said kicking a hoof at the floating torches, and only succeeding at sucking them back up into her invisible inventory; something which didn’t seem to faze her in the slightest. Her mood however had changed drastically, sadness beginning to overwhelm her previous upbeat mood.

“None of this makes sense Sweetie Belle, in case you haven’t noticed.” He said with a defeated sigh, slumping against one of the trees. “I still have absolutely no idea if we’re gonna be able to undo this…for all we know we could be stuck in here for the rest of our lives!” Button exclaimed, flailing his hooves around in frustration.

Sweetie Belle said nothing in response, not because she didn’t have anything to say, but because at that moment the gravity of what was going on really hit her hard, they very well could be stuck in here all their lives; especially if they didn’t know how to reverse this.

On top of that, she blamed herself for all of it; the way Sweetie Belle saw it this was her fault. She had agreed to play the game, she hadn’t listened to Buttons advice on not going outside at night, she had shot his computer, she had almost got them killed…she felt awful, she hadn’t previously because she hadn’t really had time to think about it, but now that they sat down for a moment and actually slowed down…

“I-I’m sorry…” She said softly, barely audible over the sound of the spiders in the next room, she had returned to her spot by the pond and was staring down into the water with a look almost akin to self-loathing.

Button perked his ears up and looked over at Sweetie Belle, unsure of why she was apologizing.

“Sorry?”

Sweetie Belle turned her head slowly to look at him out of the corner of her eye, barely meeting his gaze for more than a second before returning to the water.

“This is my fault…” She spoke again, barely above a whisper.

“Wait…what?” Button stood up and trotted up behind her, stopping a few feet away, he wasn’t sure what to do in this situation, Sweetie Belle was obviously upset, and she was his friend, he wanted to comfort her.

Problem is, comfort required…contact, of the physical manner.

“I said, this is my fault!” She insisted, stomping a tiny white hoof on the grass in self-frustration.

“Sweetie Belle…this isn’t-“

“Yes it is!” She flipped around rather suddenly, causing Button to recoil a bit as she flailed her front hooves in the air, rearing up on her hind legs for a moment. Now that Button could see her face, Sweetie Belle looked like she was about to burst into tears and have a complete breakdown.

“I was the one who didn’t listen to your advice about not going out at night, I was the one who got scared, I was the one who shot your computer, I was the one who made that Ender…whatchamacallit mad, this is my fault, and now we’re gonna be stuck in here for all time, I’m never gonna see Rarity again, or my friends, and…j-just…”

Sweetie Belle stopped her rant for a moment, sniffling and trying to rub away the tears that threatened to start pouring out of her eyes at any second. Button hadn’t ever seen her like this, he had seen her cry crocodile tears, “please give me that sandwich.” Tears, and even the kind of tears she would cry like when she had made him watch that weird love story movie.

Never these tears though.

Button couldn’t remember ever seeing her look so crushed…so defeated, he felt the need to comfort her, he wasn’t sure why he felt this way, only that he did, it was an extremely strong desire, he wasn’t sure if he should suppress it and just sit and silently watch the small, crying filly currently sitting a few feet from him with her head hung, or if he should go and like…hug her, or something.

“Sweetie Belle…this isn’t your fault…” He said, opting for the verbal comforting and at the same time wondering if that was the best choice.

She said nothing, simply hanging her head and silently weeping over their plight, a small tear rolling down her nose every so often and falling to the ground, impacting with an inaudible “Plip.”

Oh Celestia, this hurt him to watch. Why did this hurt?

Cautiously, almost as one would be if approaching some deadly animal or a ticking time bomb, Button moved over next to Sweetie Belle, taking a seat next to her and idly kicking at the grass with a hoof.

“Sweetie Belle…This isn’t-“ Button stopped mid sentence, his eyes widened and his pupils shrunk, seemingly out of nowhere, Sweetie Belle had thrown her front hooves around him and had embraced him in a tight hug, sniffling into the crook of his neck and rubbing her nose on him.

Ew.

Button wasn’t sure what to do, he hadn’t ever exactly had a mare cry on his shoulder before, was he supposed to like, say something to her, or like…hug her back, or something?

This day as a whole had been filled with new experiences, and this was probably one of the more intimidating ones; to Button at least.
Sweetie Belle said nothing, she only sobbed into his shoulder, front legs wrapped tight around him in a shaky embrace, and ever so slowly, after warring with himself over whether or not this was a good idea, to hug Sweetie Belle; and for the first time, he wrapped his front hooves around her, gently and comfortingly stroking her trembling back.

“B-button…I don’t w-wanna die in here…” She whimpered into his shoulder, hugging him tighter.

“We aren’t going to die…” He said, awkwardly eyeing their surroundings as he comforted her.

“Y-you don’t know that.” She sniffled into his shoulder.

He needed something to say, something that would be assuring and maybe brighten his friend up a bit, but what…? It had to be something that would hit home, something that would encourage her to keep on keeping on and not give up…what was something Sweetie Belle wanted most, something she longed for more than anything in Equestria?

Oh, wait.

“Because…otherwise, you can’t get your cutie mark!” He said, inwardly proud of himself for thinking that up.

“I’m not a baby…I know this crazy Minecraft world won’t stop just for me and my cutie mark.”

Well that worked wonderfully…not.

“Then…I’ll stop the world for you!” He said suddenly, wondering why his brain formulated such a stupid thing to say, he wasn’t even sure if that had any meaning to it, it actually sounded kinda dumb, he was super small, how would he stop a planet from moving?

Sweetie Belle said nothing, her shaking had stopped and she had stopped crying, but here eyes were wide in surprise and unbeknownst to Button, her cheeks were a bright red. That had probably one of the sweetest things she had ever heard, of course she knew Button had done it by accident, because he was a dummy most of the time, but still, he had tried, and in doing so he had actually managed to be sweet to her, instead of being all weird like he normally was. Of course, he hadn’t really made her feel better about this all essentially being her fault, but he had been super sweet nonetheless and that did make her feel nice.

“T-thank you, Button…” She let out, sniffling again before gently pulling away from him; or tried to pull away from him, rather.

Button didn’t seem to feel like breaking the embrace, and was hugging Sweetie Belle rather firmly, it wasn’t necessarily uncomfortable, and it was actually nice. It was getting weird though…

“Uh, Button, you can let go now.” Sweetie Belle whispered, as if trying to hide her words from some nonexistent crowd of ponies.
“Oh!” Button’s eyes widened and his cheeks burned a bright red, he quickly released Sweetie Belle and jumped back a bit, barely meeting her gaze for more than a second before looking at the ground; very obviously quite flustered.

Neither of them really said anything for a while, Sweetie Belle stared awkwardly ahead and Button just kicked at the ground idly, if awkward ever needed a description, that moment was a perfect fit. The only sounds were that of the small pool of water, sloshing and splashing despite its motionless state, as well as the sound of spiders in the other room; a problem they would need to deal with eventually if they wanted to get downstairs.

“So…what’re we gonna do?” Sweetie Belle finally broke the silence, her voice had returned to its normal, slightly high pitched and confident tone.

Button sighed and looked over at her, forgetting about their previous moment in the light of the need to solve this staggering problem, such a simple question carried so much weight behind it, so much possible danger and so many problems. What were they going to do?

“I…don’t know…In Minecraft, to beat the game, you have to go to The Nether, find Eyes of Ender, open a portal, and kill a dragon just to get to the credits…” He groaned.

“Well, I don’t see how a dragon would fit in the house…” Sweetie Belle replied thoughtfully, scratching her chin with a hoof.

“No, you go through a portal, and he’s in a whole different dimension.” Button waved his hoof dismissively.

“Well, instead of fighting a dragon, what if we just…turned off the computer?”

“W-what did you just say?” Button perked his ears up and looked over at his companion.

“I said, what if we just turned off your computer? I mean, this all came out of the computer right, so maybe if we turn it off everything’ll go back to normal?” Sweetie Belle said with a shrug.

“Sweetie Belle, that…might actually work!” Button said excitedly, beginning to bounce a bit as a wide smile came across his lips.
“You think so?” Sweetie Belle replied, beginning to get excited as well.

“Yes! Sweetie Belle, you’re a genius!” He cried, growing more and more elated with each passing second, a plan now beginning to formulate in his brain, this plan was a long shot, and maybe a bit crazy, but still, it was all they had and Button intended to carry it out to the fullest.

“Uh, Button, we still have a problem though.”

“What’s that?’ Button asked, trotting over to one of the two trees; already knowing what Sweetie Belle was going to say.

“What about the monsters?”

“Already got it covered, I know just how to deal with them. It’s risky, but it’ll have to work!” He began punching at the bottom-most log of one of the trees, pixilated cracks spider-webbing through the surface of the log.

“And…how’s that?” Sweetie Belle asked, her tone laced with uncertainty.

Button gave the log one last hit, it made a soft “pop” as it shrunk down and landed on the ground, hovering and spinning for a moment before it was sucked into Button’s “Inventory” He smiled triumphantly and was totally still for a moment, staring into nothingness as his eyes flitted back and forth as if he were reading the pages of some invisible book. A moment later his body relaxed and he turned to Sweetie Belle, now holding some strange block in his hoof, he placed the tiny block on the ground and it suddenly sprung up and tripled in size, revealing it to be a crafting table.

Sweetie Belle had been watching this unfold in silence, and was unsure what to make of it.

“Button…how are we gonna take care of the monsters?” She asked again, eyeing her friend cautiously.

“It’s simple, Sweetie Belle!” He said with a smug grin, already getting to work on punching down the rest of one of the two trees, a moment later another log popped off with a soft “Pop” and disappeared into his inventory, he turned and gave Sweetie Belle the most confident grin she had ever seen.

“We play the game!”

A few minutes later, they were ready. Button had punched down both of the trees in his room and turned the logs into planks; Planks that Sweetie Belle thought looked like chocolate bars, and then he had turned them into tools, he had made sure to be careful with what he made, they had a very finite amount of materials and they couldn’t exactly wait for the saplings they had stuck in the ground to sprout up, due to their food supply also being limited as the tress had only dropped six apples.

“Alright, Inventory check.” Button said to himself, pulling up his inventory and scanning over the contents.

--------@---------

1 Wooden Sword.

Good for smacking monsters into a pulp, useless for slicing anything at all. Has a very small amount of uses before it breaks.

1 Wooden Pickaxe.

Imperative for mining stone; would be needed to make better tools.

8 wooden planks.

Half of the last remaining materials from the trees, they were going to be very, very important if they couldn’t find more. Sweetie Belle carried the other eight.

3 Apples.

Unfortunately not possible to ingest in juice form, Sweetie Belle also carried three.

16 Dirt.

Good for blocking up pathways.

1 crafting table.

Good for making new tools and weapons.

2 Coal.

Mined from what had been Button’s TV and video game system; he had cried as he mined it.

----@----

Button nodded to himself and willed the inventory closed, turning his gaze over to Sweetie Belle, finding she was still looking hers over, her body tensed and stiff looking.

“You got everything?” He asked.

Sweetie Belle relaxed as her inventory closed, looking over at Button and nodding.

“Yep, I’ve got everything! Got my shovel, my pickaxe, my wood, my torches, my apples and my dirt! Oh, and all that nasty rotten flesh from the zombies in the computer…” Sweetie Belle contorted her face into a look of disgust at the mention of rotten flesh, why she hadn’t thrown it out yet, Button had no clue.

“Alright, we need to go over the plan again.” Button stated, walking over to Sweetie Belle and sitting down, they had gone over this plan a few minutes earlier, and Sweetie Belle had a major part in it, it was up to her to keep them alive.

“I got it all memorized!” She said happily, clearing her throat and adopting a position to that of some political speaker before reciting their plan.

“Step one: Sneak into your parents’ room! Step Two: You distract the spiders, while I put torches on the icky spider spawner! Step Three: You kill the spiders while I block up the doorway with dirt so we don’t get murdered by a sneaky monster, and so I don’t have to fight icky spiders! Step Four: Raid the dungeon chests for useful loot and make new tools! Step Five: Profit!” Sweetie Belle stood at attention when she finished, the silly grin on her face ruining her otherwise militaristic look as she saluted to Button Mash; who was pacing back and forth in front of her.

“Good! There should only be two or three spiders, because that can’t spawn too many at once, but you have to make sure to put those torches on the spawner so monsters will spawn slower! Then, after you block up the entryway be sure to break the spawner, so we don’t have problems.”

What Button was hoping for, was that they would find iron or some other ingot in the chests, maybe armor or something they could use to help get downstairs, across the ravine again, and back into the kitchen to turn off his computer and hopefully reverse all this.
“You ready?” He asked confidently.

“Ready as a…a, uh…” Sweetie Belle searched for something cool to say, and it wasn’t working well for her. “Well…yeah, I’m ready.” She nodded, pretending like she didn’t just do any of that.

Button nodded back and turned to face the door, he felt good! He felt like he could take on a whole Enderherd by himself!
Ever so slowly, Button opened his door, forgetting for a moment this was Minecraft and you couldn’t open doors slowly, they opened extremely fast and there wasn’t anything you could do about it.

So of course, when the door swung open with its normal sound effect; just twice as loud, both he and Sweetie Belle were rather startled.
“Uh…yeah.” He said, staring into the hallway with wide eyes, it was dark and the very definition of spooky, the darkness threatened to envelop all who stepped inside of it, as if it were the gaping maw of some monster hungry for flesh.

Sweetie Belle trotted past him and into the entryway of the door, poking her head out and looking down the dark hallway as if it were nothing to her.

“Come on, the coast is clear!” She said softly, not even giving Button a chance to respond before slipping out of the doorway and into the hall.

“Sweetie Belle, wait up!” He hissed, zipping out of his room and coming up next to Sweetie Belle, who was practically belly crawling in her attempt to be sneaky. She looked like a lizard sneaking up on a bug it intended to eat; only she was a pony and the bugs were giant spiders that wanted to eat them instead of vice versa.

“What…are you doing?” He asked in a hushed voice.

“I’m being sneaky! Shhh!” She hissed at him, her gaze locked ahead of her as the sound of the spiders got closer and louder.

Button rolled his eyes and slowly trotted next to her, taking in the sight of the stone around them that and once been his hallway, he noticed the entryway to what had at one point been his bathroom, peering into it for a moment to find where the toilet had been, there was now a small waterfall that poured out of the wall and down a massive hole that took up most of where the floor had once been.

Finally, they came to his parents’ bedroom; Button peered in and scanned the room.

There were two spiders over on the corner of the room, chittering and hissing atop a small platform of Mossy Cobblestone, their multiple red eyes gave off a dim light, each one flitting around every so often before refocusing on the other spider. They restlessly tapped their legs as they hissed, barely visible in the almost nonexistent light of the dungeon.

In the center of the room was a small cage, inside was the flaming image of a spider, it floated in the middle of the cage, totally motionless save for its slow, endless rotation.

And then he saw their prize, up against the wall of the room, was a chest. This is exactly what he had hoped for; those chests had treasure, treasure that would hopefully aid them in ending this pixel-y nightmare.

“Ready?” Sweetie Belle asked, pulling out her torches and holding them with her magic.

“Ready.” Button nodded in response, pulling out his sword and holding it in his mouth, ready to face the monsters.

“GO!”

And the fight began.

Author's Note:

Next chapter will have an epic fight scene :3

I'm debating if I want Sweetie Belle to sing a song about how she hates spiders, because I freaking love Sweetie Belle.

I'm so excited at how much of a positive response this story has gotten you're all so awesome, thank you so much!

I hope you guys like this chapter, and all the chapters in the future!