• Published 4th Feb 2014
  • 7,143 Views, 264 Comments

Button Mash and Sweetie Belle Play Minecraft - QuilliamPenn



Button Mash and Sweetie Belle decide to play Minecraft, everything was going great, until Minecraft and its inhabitants decide to come out of the computer,

  • ...
21
 264
 7,143

Chapter 7: No Time To Think

Author's Note:

Hey guess what?


I beat Writers Block :3



Writing "A Pony's Guide To Raising An Alien Octopus-Girl" has done well to destroy my block, and I was able to happily approach this story and get chapter 7 finished!

This is not the only reason however, I had wonderful, wonderful friends who inspired me to write the story I mentioned above, and I cannot, in good conscience, take full credit for getting over this block, I have all my friends to thank for that as well.


So thank you <3


Chapter 8 will come soon as I get it written! Thank you all for being patient!

Chapter 7: No Time To Think



“Slap”

Button let out a tired moan, waving his hoof about in the air in front of him as if to ward off a bothersome fly.

“Slap”

Through closed eyes, he let out another huff of displeasure, whatever this slapping noise was it was doing well to bring a restful sleep to a most bothersome and unwanted end.

“Slap”

Button let out a short frustrated grunt and opened his eyes, half expecting to awaken in his room, on his bed on a perfectly normal Saturday morning. He would get up, go downstairs; quietly as to not wake his parents, steal some juice from the fridge, and then spend the rest of the day playing video games.

Not on this Saturday, however; if it even was a Saturday.

Instead of his room, Button was surrounded by the painfully familiar sight of stone blocks, and the slapping noise his slowly awakening mind could now register as the hostile and hungry slimes that were apparently still throwing themselves against the dirt walls, to no avail.

He sighed and closed his eyes once more. Even with sleeping however long they had slept, he still was exhausted; he had every right to be of course. It wasn’t exactly every day one was sucked into a video game and then chased around by horrendous abominations straight out of the mind of some pony named Notch; a pony who Button’s resentment for grew greater and greater the more time spent in this video game-turned-real.

“Slap”

Another moan of displeasure, this one more feminine and as expected, originating from Button’s companion, Sweetie Belle. She shifted a bit from her position against him, her head resting on his shoulder and her hooves otherwise limp as she mumbled strange dream-induced words.

“Then I’ll teach it to fear me instead…” She mumbled, smacking her lips before letting her jaw hang agape once more and drool slightly.
It was gross, but Button found himself not minding, he was dirty enough already so a little Sweetie-Spit wouldn’t kill him; him waking her from her sleep though, might.

“Slap”

How long had they slept anyway? From the unpleasantly familiar sound of the slimes, they had either slept only a few minutes, or the slimes were just extremely obsessive over their prey and didn’t give up all too easily. Although, throwing themselves against the dirt obviously wasn’t working, so either way they hadn’t exactly proved to be amongst the brightest torches in the cavern.

“Slap”

Sweetie Belle let out another bothered moan, shifting a bit more and letting out a short grunt as the noisy slimes did their best to try and get through the wall.

Button couldn’t really do too much to stop them either, seeing as they were on the other side of the wall and he really, really didn’t feel removing that wall to try and get some peace and quiet.

“Slap”

Sweetie Belle jerked a bit, inhaling sharply and suddenly stiffening her limbs out as if she had rigor mortis. This went on for about three seconds before she slackened again, however she was no longer asleep, and was very much upset at being awoke.

“Button Mash, I swear, I’m going to strangle you…” She said sleepily, exactly what emotion she was putting into her words all but undetectable due to her being barely awake.

“Welcome back to the land of the living.” Button said, unable to hold back his grin.

“Slap”

“I’ll be the only one living here pretty soon if whatever is making that noise doesn’t shut it.” She grumbled, yawning and sitting upright to rub her eyes and sniffle a bit.

“Good luck with that.” Button retorted, taking the moment of not having Sweetie Belle asleep on him to stretch out his limbs, finding his neck popping as he stretched; he already felt like he was getting old and he was eight, oh joy.

“Slap”

Sweetie Belle shot a sleepy, yet loathe-filled glare over in the direction of the dirt wall she rested against.

It was a horrifying look.

Button couldn’t remember ever seeing Sweetie Belle…grumpy. Granted, they hadn’t exactly spent so much time waking up next to one another, so it wasn’t like he was used to how she behaved in the mornings, nor how she behaved when she was woken up before she wanted to be. However, he could sense that she wasn’t exactly happy at being woken up before she wanted to be.

“How long did we sleep?” She asked; her glare fading as she smacked her lips and turned her gaze over to meet that of her companion, her eyelids half closed.

“Not sure,” He replied with a shrug, resting the back of his head against the wall and closing his eyes, rubbing them as if it would make their situation go away. “All I know is those slimes are still out there, and I don’t think asking them politely to leave is going to do us much good.”

The sound of multiple slimes slamming themselves against the dirt only confirmed what Button had said, they were in quite a spot, a spot they needed to get out of quickly is they wanted to attempt to get out of this horrific place.

Sweetie Belle let out a soft sigh and slowly righted herself, taking time to stretch out each one of her joints and being rewarded with a soft “pop” as she stretch each limb.

“They sound pretty eager to get in here…” She said nonchalantly, smacking her lips before suddenly sprawling out on the ground and contorting her body into strange and unusual shapes.

“Yeah, we’re gonna need a plan if-“ It was then Button turned his gaze to his companion, even in the dim light he was able to clearly see that she was doing…whatever the heck she was doing. His eyes wide and wearing the exact same look he wore that time his toy train spontaneously combusted. “Sweetie Belle…w-what in Equestria are you doing?”

“Yoga.” She stated flatly, balancing on a front and back leg as she stretched the other two towards the stone ceiling.

“Why?” Button stared blankly, unsure of what to think of this alien and unfamiliar sight in front of him.

“Rarity says that Yoga is a good way to make sure that you start your day right, she says…” Sweetie Belle paused to switch positions, doing so with the practice and skill of some yoga master. “That it also helps keep you relaxed and positive throughout the day, so sometimes she’ll wake me up and we do yoga before I have to go to school and stuff!”

“Oh, O-okay then…” He said with uncertainty, eyes glued to Sweetie Belle in a mixture of shock and wonder as she carried out her morning routine despite the fact it may not even be morning.

“Now, we need a plan!” She stated firmly upon finishing her stretching, looking revitalized in just the slightest.

Their surroundings only gave more weight to Sweetie Belle’s statement. The seemingly endless sound of slimes throwing themselves against the outer walls of their makeshift fortress was a constant, other than their voices it was the only other sound that was heard.
“How are we going to get out of here, that seems like a good place to-“

Button was cut off at the sight of Sweetie Belle placing a dirt block down near him; it grew to fill the size of a normal block and served to only make the already tiny space even more cramped.

“Sweetie Belle, what are you doing?” He asked, watching as his companion scramble up the block appeared to be in the process of trying to climb up to the top of their little wall.

“Getting a look, duh.” She stated blandly, as if this were no big deal.

“Well, w-wait up!” Button said, nearly tripping over himself as he scrambled up after her. He was barely even awake and already Sweetie Belle was trying to run off, jeeze.

The sound of hooves crunching on dirt soon followed as Button scrambled up next to his companion, Perched next to her atop the dirt wall that kept their foes at bay previously and was now serving as their lookout. Button’s gaze locked on Sweetie Belle’s at first; she wore the strangest expression, it wasn’t disgust or sadness, it was…horror?

Upon following her gaze, he found exactly why Sweetie Belle bore such an expression, and found out that the expression she wore was very much appropriate.

The slimes were no longer the curious-faced, green blobs of harmless looking goop, slapping around and noiseless, ignorant bliss.

No.

They had mutated.

Of course.

The slimes didn’t appear to have eyes anymore; in fact all traces of the squares of grey that made up their expressions seemed to have disappeared. Now there was only slime, green cubes of slime. They now had very definite mouths. In fact they had mouths so large they took up most of the monsters body, giving it a look of a maw as its own entity rather than a simple slime.

The slimes were still made of…well, slime. However they looked more ravenous and angry now, their mouths opened and closed in silent roars and moans of a newfound hunger for flesh, teeth and tongues made of slime brandished from the maws of the cube-demons like weapons equipped by a valiant knight; if said night were made of Jell-O or something of that sort.

The floor around their hideout was an ocean of slime, they hadn’t actually ever melded together, although they would press against one another, they didn’t yet appear to be able to re-connect to form a larger, more horrifying creature. However the eyeless gaze of every single one of the slimy, green beasties was turned upwards, right at Button and Sweetie Belle.

“Button…what…?” Was all Sweetie Belle managed to let out.

Button was just as stumped as his companion was. He had never, ever seen slimes like this in Minecraft. First the Creeper from before and its crazy new teeth and claws and all that, and now the slimes had mutated?

Something was going on here and Button had a feeling these creatures weren’t all that interested in letting him get to the bottom of it; not that he really wanted to of course, well maybe he did a little, but saving Sweetie Belle came first, he had to keep her safe!

“Let’s just…figure out a way to get down from here, safely.” He said, trying to dismiss his thoughts of what was happening to the
monsters.

Both he and Sweetie Belle took a good long look around the room, to be quite honest they were in quite a bit of a spot.

Other than the slimes, the cavern had not changed at all, not noticeably at least. The walls were lined with the same rocky protrusions and outcroppings as before, and in the center of the room the large spire of rock still rose from the ground, dotted with the occasional ore or block of gravel.

Nothing seemed to be changing to help them and everything seemed to be changing to try and slaughter them.

“Sweetie Belle, this isn’t going to be-“

“We should build a bridge!” She cried out suddenly, unintentionally antagonizing the slimes below them even more and startling Button Mash to a great effect, enough so he nearly toppled off the wall and into what would almost certainly be a gooey death.

“Sweetie Belle! Shush, you’re riling them up!” Button hissed after righting himself, finding his breathing just the tiniest bit quicker and his heart beating that much faster after nearly falling.

“Oh, right, sorry…” She said sheepishly, however sheepishness quickly turned back into excitement, and once again she started up. “If we take the stone blocks off the wall, then maybe we can build a bridge all the way into the kitchen! Then we can just avoid the slimes all the way back to the lava pit!” She exclaimed; visibly proud of herself for formulating such a plan.

It actually wasn’t a bad plan, building a bridge wouldn’t be too hard. However there would be very little room for error, a single misstep or miscalculation could bring an end that did well to somber any over-excited attitude that Button could possibly have had.

“We’ll have to be careful…unless you want to become dinner for a bunch of snot balls.” He said with a cringe, turning his gaze down to the horde of slimes below.

“Careful is my middle name!” She exclaimed, already having willed out her pickaxe and began to make her way back down into the four by four square they had spent the night in.

“And I’m the Princess of The Sun…” He sighed under his breath, taking one last look at the freakishly-mutated slimes before heading down after Sweetie Belle, who had already begun mining for stone.

“Button, come help!” She called, bringing her stone pick down onto a stone block and sending pixilated cracks through its surface.

Button wasn’t sure why Sweetie Belle was so chipper all of a sudden, she didn’t seem to even be daunted by the fact there were dozens of monsters that wanted nothing more than to kill them, held back by nothing more than a wall of dirt two blocks high, and that they were essentially boxed in should they happen to break through!

“What’s got you so upbeat all of a sudden?” He asked, willing out his pick and not thinking much of the question.

“Well, you see, I have decided that keeping an upbeat attitude is good for morale, and with good morale we have good attitudes, and with good attitudes we can get stuff done!” She said encouragingly, smiling a bit as the stone block she had been digging at made a faint “Pop,” shrunk down and sucked into her “Inventory”

“Oh…I’m down with that, I think.”

Button was honestly unsure, oh well, mares were strange creatures sometimes.

The sound of pick upon stone soon filled the cavern, rhythmic almost to the point of being hypnotic. It was a nice change of pace from the incessant and unending “slap” of slimes throwing themselves fruitlessly against the dirt wall; though it didn’t drown them out, it did help.

As they toiled, Button found the gears in his mind turning at full speed, trying desperately to come up with a rhyme or reason as to why the monsters seemed to be mutating, and what it meant for the pair of ponies as a whole.

There had to be a reason, monsters didn’t just change, not in Minecraft.

Then again, if that were the case, why had Button seen that very thing unfold before his eyes?

Button had an extremely extensive knowledge of Minecraft and its workings, he knew there was only a 0.164% chance of a Pink sheep naturally spawning, he knew that occasionally gravity-affected blocks would spawn in a manner that they would remain unaffected by gravity until touched, he knew that a chicken being ridden by a baby zombie-pony, was significantly faster than a normal chicken, he even knew the exact amount of uses an un-enchanted diamond pick held, one thousand, five hundred and sixty two.

This however, was something he did not know, and he didn’t like it one bit.

As if this weren’t enough, he couldn’t stop thinking about that Endermare they had encountered. He couldn’t quite put his hoof on exactly why, but he couldn’t shake the feeling that they would end up running into it again.

What if it had mutated too, Endermares were already horrible enough, how much monstrous and vile could it become if it underwent a mutation similar to that of the creeper, what if it had-

“Button…”

Sweetie Belle’s voice was soft and heavily laden with a mixture of both curiosity and worry, enough so it snapped Button to attention.

“Huh?”

Sweetie Belle said nothing; she merely raised a slightly shaking hoof and pointed it in the direction of the slimes.

Without hesitation Button followed her gaze, finding the scene unfolding below very much worth shaking over.

The slimes had stopped throwing themselves against the walls, so that was good. However what wasn’t good was their new source of occupation.

The gooey beasts had converged around a rather nonplussed looking creeper, and were in the process of slowly moving it over towards them. The creeper hissed in protest, bearing newly grown fangs and putting up as much of a fight as it could while being carried like a shipping container upon a freighter.

“What in the name of…” Button wasn’t sure what to think, this definitely wasn’t a normal part of the game. What was the point of them carrying a creeper? What were they trying to achieve, surely they didn’t mean to…

“Sweetie Belle, start building the bridge.” Button said in a grave tone.

“W-what?”

“The bridge, the bridge! Hurry!”

Sweetie Belle gave her comrade a somewhat confused look, then did the same to the creatures below, and a second later she had done well to figure out what was about to unfold.

She let out a nervous laugh and willed out her cobblestone, beginning to place it up against the wall of dirt to start their bridge.

The sound of slimes burbling and gurgling, coupled with the noises of the Creeper were only fuel to the frantic bridge building of the two young ponies. The soft “thunk” of blocks being placed one after the other became rhythmic, and should that rhythm stop, their lives would most likely do the same.

“Ehh…” Button let out a worried moan, glancing back at the slimy bomb-delivery system currently crawling closer to the dirt wall, looking like a miniature siege party. It would have been somewhat comical if it had not been so dire.

“Sweetie Belle, we need to-“

Button never finished his words.

The explosion that occurred at that moment was one unlike ever seen from a Creeper in Minecraft before. Button was deafened and his ears rang with an unpleasant whining noise, followed by the short-lived sensation of falling, and then a painful impact.

He could barely breathe, upon hitting the ground all the wind had been successfully removed from his lungs. He was sure his eardrums had been damaged, he had never felt a pain quite like it before and he was glad he hadn’t had to feel it before.

Yet through all this, his singular thought was Sweetie Belle.

Where, was Sweetie Belle?

Button gasped for air as his vision slowly began to focus, dual images slowly coming together to form the one image they should be. As his sight cleared he was able to make out the smoking crater that was now in the place of where their refuge had once stood.

The explosion had easily spread to a fifteen flock radius, much greater than that of any normal Creeper; even a Charged Creeper didn’t carry that much of a payload.

“Sweetie Belle…?” Button croaked, letting out a painful cough he couldn’t even hear. Button blinked his eyes, trying to clear his vision faster.

Luckily the slimes hadn’t apparently been smart enough to think they would be evaporated in the massive blast they had used against the dirt wall, so any traces of the little booger-monsters had been successfully erased from existence, leaving only a huge crater as a grim reminder of exactly what this place had in store for its guests.

It was then Button noticed the pulsating feeling, his stomach did backflips and an unpleasant sinking feeling set in.

He was dangerously low on health.

No, that didn’t matter now. What mattered was Sweetie Belle; he had to find Sweetie Belle!

“Sweetie Be-“ Button was cut off by a sudden and violent fit of coughing, a strange metallic taste filled his mouth and the sound of fluid splattering onto the stone floor was audible, just not to him at that moment.

The coughing did well to ensure Button stayed down a few moments longer, the taste in his mouth would have been puzzling had he not been still focused on the ringing in his ears that was fading away much slower than he would have liked.

As his hearing began to slowly return, the ringing was replaced by a pained moaning, it was deep and unpleasant.

It took him a moment to realize it wasn’t Sweetie Belle.

He hadn’t even managed to right himself; his hearing was barely back, his vision still blurred.

Was this the end?

Another moan, the sound of undead shambling around, hungry for pixilated flesh. It was the only other sound heard in the otherwise disturbingly silent aura of the cavern.

It couldn’t end like this…he had to get up, he had to protect his friend. It was his fault she was in this nightmare; he had a responsibility to get her out!

His head though…Celestia, his head hurt. He hadn’t ever felt a pain like this before, it radiated through his skull in unpleasant pulses, like he was being hit with a hammer over and over.

That didn’t matter.

None of it mattered.

If he couldn’t get up and find Sweetie Belle he would never be able to live with himself.

Fueled by the sound of a moan that was very obviously getting closer, Button shakily pushed himself up, blinking his eyes enough that the double vision wasn’t quite as bad as before, he took a stance that would allow him the best balance and willed out his sword.

The ringing had almost faded completely now, but his head still hurt like nopony’s business.

Sweetie Belle, he had to find her, and then deal with the undead problem.

Shakily, Button turned his back to the smoking crater that had been their base, the shadow of the few remaining bits of the bridge they had started building casting down, barely visible in the dim light of the cavern.

“Sweetie Belle…?” He said weakly, followed by a short cough that left that strange metallic taste in his mouth.

He scanned the area around him frantically, searching amongst the blocky outcroppings and protrusions.

There she was!

Lying motionless up against a stone formation, covered in dirt, dust and grime, was Sweetie Belle.

Button let out a sigh of relief that turned into a pained cough doubling over and nearly collapsing again as he spewed out that strange metallic tasting fluid, it splattered out onto the stone floor in scarlet red splotches.

Now however, he could see what it was, and it confused him just as much as it horrified him.

It was blood.

You didn’t bleed, in Minecraft.

“Later…” He told himself, he would figure that out later, he would deal with that later.

Button shakily made his way over to his motionless comrade, silently praying to himself she was alright.

“Sweetie Belle?” He said softly, practically collapsing next to her, gently placing a hoof on her shoulder in hopes of getting some reaction.

Nothing.

“Sweetie Belle…?” He gently shook her, feeling panic begin to build inside of him already.

There was an unpleasant groan, not from Sweetie Belle however, no this groan was from something much larger and much more hostile.

Panic became anger in that moment, Button suddenly found himself furious, he despised this place, everything in it, the blasted monsters, the blocks, he hated them with every fiber of his being.

With a growl that almost matched that of the zombie-pony shambling slowly up behind him, Button took his sword in one hoof and spun around, his battle cry one unmatched in its ferocity in passion.

As he spun around, all Button felt was his sword meeting flesh, a small amount of resistance, and then nothing but air. He hadn’t even gotten a look at the undead equine; he had simply spun and swung, getting lucky before collapsing on the ground and letting out another cough.

As soon as he had collapsed he heard an unpleasant groan, this one was different than before, it was gurgling and less controlled, he began to worry that another zombie-pony had appeared, until he turned his gaze up to look at his attacker.

There was only one zombie, and it was the one that he had just attacked, however the reason for its strange noises; because it already didn’t make those anyway, was due to the fact it no longer had a lower jaw.

Button watched his attacker try to regain its footing, and very obviously try to comprehend how in Equestria it suddenly didn’t have a lower jaw, black sludge dripping out of what looked like a fresh wound. The zombie-pony let out a confused, airy gurgle and gave him a strange look, one of surprise and confusion, a look that said “Where the hell is my lower jaw?”

Button was just as confused as the zombie-pony, maybe it had spawned like that or…?

The zombie-pony let out an airy groan and began shambling over towards him yet again, leaving a trail of black, sludge-like blood in its wake as it dripped profusely from where it’s lower jaw should have been.

Button grunted and pushed himself up, his vision had returned to normal now, and the ringing was gone, but his head was still in excruciating pain and was doing his best to push through it.

“Come on then…” He growled through gritted teeth, holding his sword in one hoof and brandishing it at his slowly approaching attacker, holding his ground until just the right moment.

Closer it grew, gurgling and snarling its breathy snarls in its unyielding lust to kill, rotting hooves sliding against the stone floor and coagulated, thick blood dripping onto the ground.

Two blocks away.

He lunged, Button drove the sword outwards with all the strength he could muster, driving straight through the zombie-ponies throat.
The monster gurgled and its milky eyes widened, glaring at Button almost frantically as it squirmed on the sword.

Yet, it wasn’t flashing red.

Why wasn’t it…?

The zombie-pony suddenly slid forward on the sword, purposely impaling itself farther to try and reach Button in its mindless need to slaughter him.

Button, surprised and horrified at this, quickly released his sword and scrambled backwards; leaving his weapon firmly embedded through the rotting neck of his assailant, thick blood slowly trickling out of the wound it now bore.

“Y-you…you shouldn’t be doing…I don’t…”

The zombie-pony stopped, glaring at button for a moment before turning its attention over to the limp form of Sweetie Belle, and as quickly as it had ceased moving, it started up again; this time shambling towards Sweetie Belle.

“But, y-you didn’t….Sweetie Belle didn’t attack you…I don’t…”

No, there wasn’t time to no know what to do, there wasn’t time to stop and try to figure this out, and there wasn’t time for him to just stand there.

He had to act, and he had to do it now.

Not knowing what else to do, Button proceeded to carry out the most basic attack one could think of.

Fueled by his need to save Sweetie Belle, and doing his best to ignore his throbbing headache.

He charged in head on, and head butted his foe with everything he had.

And then everything went dark.