• Published 26th Jun 2015
  • 315 Views, 5 Comments

A Good Share of Worlds - Sea Pony



Winter Song become a ambassador for the Veil's new empire.

  • ...
 5
 315

The Great Library

The first thing I noticed when I came back to consciousness was how warm I was. I slowly opened my eyes, only to shriek in shock as I saw ghostly eyes staring right back at me.

The ghost proceeded to laugh uncontrollably at my predicament. ''S-Spooky Prank, it isn't funny! You could have given me a heart attack!'' She only continued to laugh in response.

''You should have seen the look on your face.'' She proceeded to make an exaggerated scared expression before giggling loudly once again.

I sighed. My daughter could really be trouble when she wanted to be. But I wouldn't trade her for the whole multiverse; I would have probably gone crazy in the boring Elysian Fields without her.

I looked in the room and noticed a few pictures of me with Meek Sky when we were just fillies. I also noticed a saddlebag with three pink butterflies emblazoned on it. With these clues, and the familiar room I was in, I deduced we were in my mom's house.

I touched my chest, where my heart was; it's been a long time since I felt my own heart beating. But this was also where my spark was. ''So I have a divine spark now. It seems wrong to think that one day, I might be on the same level as Celestia and Luna,'' I whispered to myself.

Suddenly, I threw the cover away and slowly got out of the bed, making sure not to wake up Golden Pie, who was laying with me.
Spooky Prank floated in circles around my head. ''What are you doing, mom?'' She said with a whisper. I resisted the urge to sigh; why does she think it's fine to wake me with a heart attack, but it's wrong to bother Golden Pie?

But, nonetheless, I responded to her with another whisper. ''I haven't been in my hometown for fifty years, and I want to see if it has changed.''

I quickly made my way downstairs and opened the door of the cottage. I had to shield my eyes for a few seconds as the sun welcomed the morning with its bright light.

Once my vision was cleared, there was one thing that immediately caught my attention, and it made me gasp in surprise. A massive tower that almost reached the clouds was standing where Twilight's library used to be before Tirek blew it off.

I quickly galloped in the direction of said tower. Spooky Prank followed behind me, probably wondering if I had lost my mind. When we arrived in front of the library, a big billboard was there right next to it, stuck into the ground on two wooden posts. On it was written 'The Great Library of Equestria'.

On top of the tower, I noticed a familiar pink star surrounded by five smaller white stars. ''You've got to be kidding me. I leave Equestria for just fifty years, and Twilight transforms Ponyville into any nerd’s wet dream? Why am I surprised?''

Spooky Prank looked around us and saw the ponies walking around calmly. A few ponies gave the little ghost a strange look, but the ponies that knew me instantly shook their heads and continued on their way once they saw that she was with me.

''You know, with all the crazy stories you told me about this place, I never imagined it would be this calm,'' Spooky Prank said to me.
''Yeah...Ponyville is calm most of the time, until the monster of the week decides to show up from the Everfree Forest, that is,'' I replied with a smile. ''It's a dangerous town for sure. But you won't find better ponies anywhere else... Hey, do you want to visit the library?''

Spooky Prank groaned in response. ''Do we have to?''

I shook my head. ''If you don't want to go, we can go somewhere else.''

Spooky thought about it for a few seconds. ''Fine, we can go, but if it's too boring, I'm out of there. Maybe I can find a few nerds to scare out of their socks,'' she said with a giggle.

I rolled my eyes as my daughter passed through the walls of the tower. A few seconds later, I could hear the screams of a filly inside the library.

I shook my head and proceeded to open the door and enter. The first floor looked like a standard library. There were a few tables and some books on shelves on the back. I imagine there were more books than that on the other floors.

The reception table seemed to be empty, which was weird, because it was nowhere near time for dinner. Just as I thought that, a small black thing jumped on the table. ''Welcome to the Great Library, what can I do for you- Winter, is that you?'' It was then that I recognized the cat that was talking to me.

''Soft Paw?! What are you doing in a library?!'' I shouted.

''SHHH!'' The other ponies in the library glared at us, and I sheepishly smiled at them.

''The library needed a receptionist, and Twilight is too occupied following her magic map to take care of this. So she promised to give me all the fish I could eat each week if I do this, and here I am.''

I raised an eyebrow. ''You get paid with fish?'' I said with a low voice, so as to not disturb anypony.

''Well, how else would I be getting paid? I'm a cat, bits are worthless to me, so she pays me with food instead.''

We were interrupted when a stallion frantically came running from upstairs. ''Run for your life! There a ghost haunting the library! AHHHH!''

I facehoofed at that; what did Spooky Prank do this time?

Soft Paw sighed. ''Can't we have at least one month where there isn't a monster that attacks this town?''

I glared at the cat. ''My daughter is not a monster!'' Soft Paw looked at me in disbelief.

''Your daughter is a ghost, seriously?''

I looked at her with a deadpan expression. ''I'm speaking with a talking cat who is the receptionist of the biggest library in this country, and you find that a ghost is weird?''

Soft Paw looked at me for a few seconds before replying. ''I'm part of the weirdest family ever.''

I cocked my head curiously. ''You still consider yourself part of the family? I've been gone for half of a century.''

''Yes, your mother took care of me while you were gone. Now, let's take care of your daughter before they call that green guy with his weird vacuum.''

When we arrived at the fourth floor, the room was almost empty with the remaining ponies were cowering under a table. I shook my head, as I could already tell she will get herself in so much trouble in the future.

''Spooky Prank! The joke's over! Get over here right now!'' I heard a groan before a small ghost appeared from behind a bookshelf.

''Mom! I was getting to the good part!'' She said with a pout. The ponies looked at her with wide eyes. They must have been visitors that came for the library, because I don't think an old resident of Ponyville would be that scare of a ghost.

''Yeah, well, you're scaring the living daylight out of these ponies, and I prefer to not have to tell the princesses that their library was deserted because of my daughter.''

Spooky Prank sighed. ''Fine, but I will not promise to not haunt other places later on,'' she said with a way too eager expression for my tastes.

I resisted the urge to facehoof and simply said, ''Let’s get back to my mom's house.''

Soft Paw stayed behind, since she still had a job to do in the library. The return home was pretty uneventful. I didn't see anypony I knew yet. I wondered how the ponies I knew would react when they see I am back from the dead.

Speaking of that, I got a very shocking surprise when I arrived back home. I could smell eggs being cooked. Thinking my mom had waken up, I walked in the kitchen and saw somepony I thought I would never see again.

''D-Dad?!'' Standing there, humming a short tune as he cooked the eggs, a smile on his face, was my father, the stallion that died sixty-five years ago, long before I was even born.

Author's Note:

If you notice that this chapter look better than the last ones it's normal. This is the first chapter that been edited by my new beta reader DuNamarSundavar Thank you for helping me with the dozens of typos I must make in each chapter.