• Published 23rd Jan 2014
  • 1,142 Views, 40 Comments

The Sudden Engagement of Rarity - lunabrony



A new alicorn arrives in Ponyville, spouting lies and nonsense. Twilight wants him gone. Immediately.

  • ...
6
 40
 1,142

Quest For Knowledge

Living near the center of town proved advantageous, it meant a relatively short walk to most destinations within the city, and the Marketplace was only a few minutes away. It really wasn't all that difficult to find the source of information that Derpy had talked about. Most of Ponyville was abuzz with the news. Spike had to climb onto Twilight's back to push through the crowd, and Derpy pointed him out almost instantly.

"That's him!"

The stallion, much to Twilight's shock, turned out to be an alicorn. An alicorn who seemed to have fallen into a vat of Nightmare Night paint. His coat was an eyesore of red and black stripes, with a streak of neon green running through his mane. Twilight felt her confidence slowly returning.

"That's him? There's no way Rarity would marry a stallion like that. Look at him. He stands out more than a unicorn in Cloudsdale. She's far to particular, and besides. Nopony in their right minds would go out in public with their coat looking like that."

"Shh, I can't hear what he's saying!" Spike said.

"That's probably for the best," Twilight said. "But I'm supposed to be open and tolerant, let's get his side of the story first." She squeezed forward a bit more, while Derpy momentarily excused herself to dart off to a nearby bakery cart.

"Excuse me," Twilight said.

"...And the fire was just completely overwhelming. I couldn't see, I couldn't breathe, I had no idea where I was going. I was sure I was going to die that day. The heat was absolutely unbearable, and you can see where it scorched my coat. I used to be all red, you know. I wear these scorch marks as a reminder that terrible things can happen to good ponies. Reminds me to be humble, you know. Even orphans like me can sometimes make a difference. I just wish I could have saved the rest of those poor, helpless children."

"That's so brave," a nearby mare swooned. "It's not every day you hear of a stallion saving an orphanage."

"EXCUSE ME," Twilight said again, quite loudly this time. This got his attention.

"Well hey there, purple. What's up?"

Spike snickered. Twilight hushed him. "My name isn't purple, it's Twilight Sparkle. I couldn't help overhearing that you had wedding plans of some kind?"

"Oh yes, yes indeed. It's wonderful, isn't it?"

"Quite. Exactly who are you engaged to?"

"Rarity," he said casually.

"Which... Rarity?"

"Which Rarity? You must not get out much," he said, gesturing to the elaborately decorated Carousel Boutique. "The one and only, of course. Fabulous fashionista, and designer extraordinare."

"I see." Twilight said. "So you won't mind if I go on over there and talk to her about her wedding plans?"

"Go right ahead," he said, with such confidence that Twilight didn't like him one bit. "But hurry up, we have dinner plans. She's meeting my parents tonight."

"I thought you said you were an orphan," Twilight countered.

The alicorn paled. "I... uh... well, not literally," he said quickly. "I mean, my parents and I don't really get along, so what I meant was sometimes I feel like an orphan. It wasn't actually MY orphanage... you know."

"...Right," Twilight said. And without another word, strode of towards Carousel Boutique. She had a feeling somepony was going to be in very deep trouble by the end of all this.

Marching right up to the front door of Carousel Boutique, she pounded her front hoof on the door. The reply was kind, yet firm.

"Very busy at the moment, would whomever it is be a dear and kindly come back shortly? I'm dreadfully behind."

"Rarity! It's Twilight! It's important!"

The door swung open moments later. "Well why didn't you say so, darling? I've always got time for you. Whatever is the matter?"

"There's a stallion in town telling everyone you're marrying him. Is this true?"

Rarity looked absolutely appalled. "Absolutely not. I'm married to my work, you know that."

"Well the entire town seems to think otherwise."

Biting down on her hoof, the unicorn groaned with dismay. "This is terrible, just terrible! I've worked so hard to establish my image, and now some fancy pants stallion thinks he can just get away with telling lies about me!? How repulsive... where is this ruffian?! I shall settle this and give him a piece of my mind at once!"

"That's what I was hoping you'd say," Twilight said. "Derpy is keeping an eye on him, if we hurry we can still catch him."

Rarity locked the door and charged her way forward, having never looked so incredibly determined before. But, alas, ponies were already dispersing from where they'd been gathered, and the alicorn was nowhere to be seen.

Twilight looked around for Derpy, who was staring at bottles of orange juice on a nearby cart. She rushed over.

"Derpy! What's going on? Where is he?"

"Where's who?"

"The alicorn! He was just here, and has a lot to answer for!"

"Oh. As soon as you left he said he had to go. I don't know where he went."

Rarity twitched. "He could be spreading his lies all over who KNOWS where. We must put an end to this at once. And just whatever are you doing, exactly?"

"Watching the orange juice," Derpy said.

"Why?"

"Cause it says concentrate! Look!" She pointed. "So I did, but nothing happened."

Rarity facehooved.