• Published 23rd Jan 2014
  • 1,141 Views, 40 Comments

The Sudden Engagement of Rarity - lunabrony



A new alicorn arrives in Ponyville, spouting lies and nonsense. Twilight wants him gone. Immediately.

  • ...
6
 40
 1,141

An Unexpected Journeigh

Author's Note:

I've been wanting to do this ever since attending "So your OC is an Alicorn" at Bronycon 2013... Oh, the horror stories from that panel I could tell...

The day started like any other. The sun came up, Spike complained that he wanted two more hours of sleep, Twilight reminded him that they risked getting behind in their schedule, which was absolutely out of the question. It was almost routine by now. Although slow paced, the morning kicked off with it's usual force. Spike had finally gotten out of bed and the checklist was ready to go.

"Spike, do you want some pancakes?" Twilight called from the kitchen.

"That's like asking if I want any sapphires. Or... rubies..." Spike sighed with fantasy satisfaction, drool spilling over the sides of his mouth. His stomach rumbled loudly at the mention of pancakes, even if they were usually hay flavored.

"Don't drool on my floor, Spike," Twilight reminded him. Despite the fact that she wasn't even in the same room, Spike quickly wiped his mouth.

"I wasn't!" Spike said, hurrying to the kitchen to help.

"You always drool when you talk about rubies. It's okay." She rubbed his head with a hoof. "I do the same thing when I think about writing new research papers."

"Well of course," Spike said dryly. "Someone mentions research papers and I just about jump out of my scales with excitement."

"Finally, someone understands!" Twilight seemed relieved at this revelation, and quickly set about finishing the task of making breakfast, with one less thing to worry about. "And here this whole time I thought I was the only one."

Breakfast didn't take long to make, and was well underway when the first of many daily knockings arrived outside the front door. It was a library, after all, and Twilight was always more than happy to help anypony in search of literary knowledge.

"Oooh, it's a bit early," Twilight remarked. "I always like to see ponies who just can't start the day without a bit of reading!" She trotted to the door, and swung it open. She blinked in surprise.

"Hi, Twilight!" The cross-eyed pegasus outside said, as cheerful as ever.

"Good morning, Derpy," Twilight said. "I wasn't expecting you, I don't believe you've paid me a visit in quite a while. I suppose you're here to return the book on optical illusions you borrowed? Wasn't it fascinating?" While speaking, Twilight ever so gradually centered herself in the center of the doorway. The last time Derpy had blazed through the library she'd been reorganizing for weeks afterward.

"Oh, that." Derpy said. "Nah, I took that book to the welfare office."

"You took it... to the welfare office... why?"

"Because the illusions weren't working."

Twilight's mouth opened and closed but no words came out. The twisted sense of logic in that decision was just absolutely staggering.

"You know, she's got a point," Spike pointed out. "But don't optical illusions only work for ponies who can-"

Twilight shoved a hoof in his mouth and just shook her head. "You continue to fascinate me, Derpy. I'll get the book later. Was there a reason for your visit?"

"Yes!" Derpy said. "I came to say congratulations!" She didn't say anything else just there, as if clearly anticipating that Twilight knew exactly what she was going on about. Or perhaps expecting gratitude of some kind.

Twilight slowly tilted her head. "Alright...? For..."

"Gosh, Twilight. You're supposed to be the brainy one. Obviously I just heard that your best friend is getting married, and wanted to give you my well wishes."

"Oh! Well that's very kind of you to- wait a minute! Who's getting married?!" A wave of deja vu washed over. Nopony ever told her anything these days, it seemed like.

"Rarity. I only just heard, I don't blame you if you haven't heard yet." Derpy's eyes widened. "Oh, but what if it was supposed to be a surprise? Please don't tell her I ruined the surprise!"

Twilight shook her head rapidly. "Back up, back up, back up."

"If you say so," Derpy said, and took a few steps backwards, almost instantly tripping over a rock. "I'm okay!" She assured the unicorn. "Now what?"

"No. Not... literally... never mind! You must have misheard, Rarity can't be getting married. She would have said..."

"But it's true! There's a flashy stallion in the Marketplace telling everyone!"

"We'll just see about that," Twilight said. "Something smells fishy here. Spike, get my saddlebag. We're going to get to the bottom of this."

"Can I come?" Derpy asked, as Spike fetched the necessary item.

"Of course," Twilight said. "You can be my Watson!"

"But my name's Derpy..." she said. "I don't want to be Watson."

Twilight facehooved. "Never mind. You can be my assistant, how's that?"

"Yay!" Derpy squealed, as Spike returned.

"Come on," Twilight said. "We're going to see about all this."

Spike closed the door behind him, and the trio marched into town. Be it Rarity, this mysterious stallion, or Derpy, somepony had a lot of explaining to do.

"So did you get a good look at this pony, while you were in town?" Twilight asked. "Any distinguishing characteristics?"

"What do you mean?" Derpy asked.

"I mean was there anything unusual about him? Did you see anything particularly memorable?"

"Not really," Derpy said. "There was a pretty big crowd, and I get uncomfortable in big crowds. Sometimes I feel like they're all staring at me. I don't like that."

"I understand," Twilight said. "Don't worry, we'll figure it out."